Best American Cartoon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Kandy
What's your opinion?

misskraidridley
Justice League:

I like this show alot because I'm a huge fan of the original superheroes in their original settings. (think early superheroes, like around 1940-60 or so.^_^) I'm also a huge fan of their original morals and beliefs. (There are of course a few exceptions). The show keeps the chracters inline with that quite well, though every now and then you can see a deviation. The art is great, its simple, but detailed enough to look really good. The action is spectacular and even though some of the heroes have been toned down a little in ways of powers or personality they're still quite true to the original. The plot lines flow well and move quickly, but not to quickly, and the authors/ artists are creative and introduce new badguys as well as keeping the old ones in buisness. The show is not overtly evolutionist, or Anti-God, which I appreciate greatly. The authors also do a spectacular job of putting in a nice plot twist every now and then to keep you guessing. Its nice that they don't try to be too predictable in cause and events and so forth. The shows are also very audience involving. Who doesn't like to see good triumph over evil?? So anyway thats why I like justice league.^_^ now about those other 9 shows...

Old school Disney beats out any new Disney toons any day. Mickey and Goofy kicks Brandy and Mr. Whiskers you know what along with all those other crummy programs Disney's been pumping out over the last decade.

chillmeistergen
South Park. Absolutely hands down.

MildPossession
Thundercats was a favourite of mine when I was younger that we got over here.

Deathblow
The Simpsons. Most obvious answer sure, but 10 consecutive seasons of the best writing on television period, not to mention that even the later, less outstanding seasons (in my view season 11 onwards) are better than 90% of everything else on TV.

Aside from the yellow guys though, Futurama, South Park, Family Guy are all up there. And for non-comedy, I think the original X-Men cartoon series was one of the best, if not the best. Very dark and actually dared to deal with serious issues such as racism, religion and terrorism. Also the best on screen comic book adaptation of any kind.

srankmissingnin
Venture Bros.

Nuff' Said

... although Home Movies was pretty awsome too.

Kram3r
Originally posted by Deathblow
The Simpsons. Most obvious answer sure, but 10 consecutive seasons of the best writing on television period, not to mention that even the later, less outstanding seasons (in my view season 11 onwards) are better than 90% of everything else on TV.

Aside from the yellow guys though, Futurama, South Park, Family Guy are all up there. And for non-comedy, I think the original X-Men cartoon series was one of the best, if not the best. Very dark and actually dared to deal with serious issues such as racism, religion and terrorism. Also the best on screen comic book adaptation of any kind.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Also, no one mentioned Ren & Stimpy or the original Looney Tunes. WTF is wrong with you people!?

wuTa
Good call on Looney Tunes.

I loved the x-men cartoon (I use to have the theme song as a ringtone) but always thought that Batman:TAS was just as good, if not better.

Deathblow
Originally posted by Kram3r
the original Looney Tunes. WTF is wrong with you people!?

Good gravy, you're quite right. Bugs, Daffy and especially Wiley E. Coyote are comic perfection.

Originally posted by wuTa
I loved the x-men cartoon (I use to have the theme song as a ringtone) but always thought that Batman:TAS was just as good, if not better.

Not better, but certainly a very good adaptation, and even darker than X-Men. I'm not a huge fan of Batman as a character so I never liked it as much, though. I had the theme song as a ringtone too, in between TMNT and Inspector Gadget, how geeky are we.

wuTa

Not better, but certainly a very good adaptation, and even darker than X-Men. I'm not a huge fan of Batman as a character so I never liked it as much, though. I had the theme song as a ringtone too, in between TMNT and Inspector Gadget, how geeky are we.

We're awesomely Geekalicious smokin'

Darth Macabre
Honestly? Either Futurama or Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Both shows are really clever, and have amazing one liners.

ADarksideJedi

Yes the Simpons is the best!jm eek!

King Kandy
Comedy: Futurama

Non-Comedy: Phantom 2040

Terror of Death
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) has absolutely no equal. It has the best fight scenes.

ragesRemorse
spawn, exosquad, simpsons, and futurama

Tyranno-Chris
Spongebob Squarepants, that show is awesome. smile

exanda kane
The Simpsons, closely followed by Futurama.

Xplosive
X-Men, followed by Samurai Jack.

Kento
Originally posted by Terror of Death
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003) has absolutely no equal. It has the best fight scenes. I'd have to agree with this even though Fast Forward sucks. That or JLU.

ragesRemorse
Batman the animated series had quite a few mature episodes. The artwork and sound was always top notch on that show.

FistOfThe North
WB's Loony Tunes

Tom and Jerry

Popeye

Disney animated movies (particularly 90's)

Most Hanna Barbera 'toons

Batman the animated series

Family Guy

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Batman the animated series had quite a few mature episodes. The artwork and sound was always top notch on that show.

agreed. thumb up second would be Loony tunes.

Inanna
Looney Tunes

Animaniacs

Thundercats

Hanna Barbarra

Tom & Jerry

FistOfThe North
Ren and Stimpy

Bevis and Butthead

dant3g0

Great Storyline
Great Characters
Very Good Humor

The only american cartoon that would kick Naruto's a**... well in my book anyway.

BruceSkywalker
Tom and Jerry. Any Batman cartoon. The Thundercats

leonheartmm
all disney movies before 2000.

all dreaworks animated movies before 2000{anastasia etc}.

tom and jerry

looney toons

all shows on the disney channel before 2000.

batman the animated series.

thundercats

the original x men series.

the second superman series

silver hawks{lol}

the land before time

the iron giant{not sure if it is dreamworks}

the black cauldron{dont remember if it is disney}

fire and ice.

Eman5805
Batman: TAS
Justice League (Unlimited)
Gargoyles
Samurai Jack
X-Men

Some of the best shows and accompaning storylines in animation.

kunglu
Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
Samurai Jack
Batman TAS
Batman Beyond
Venture Brothers
Metalocalypse
South Park
The Simpsons
There's more but thats good for now. I also loved the old Hanna Barbarra super hero cartoons growing up.

Allankles
Justice League
Looney Tunes
Futurama
Superman TAS
X-Men
Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy.

mark_it
Tom and Jerry is my first choice.

Wei Phoenix
Gargoyles

Kazenji
What ?!?

no love for Harvey Birdman Attorney at law ?

geshien
Currently; The Venture Brothers

Wanderer11
Family Guy

American Dad

The Simpsonís

Futurama

Looney Tunes

Thundercats

X-Men

Spider-Man 90ís

Darth Martin
Batman TAS
Spider-Man TAS
X-Men TAS
JLA/U

super pr*xy
i'm having a hard time picking since the list is so long..

pinky and the brain, looney tunes, x-men, batman: tas, superman:tas, venture brothers, athf (definitely an acquired taste), family guy, futurama, king of the hill, thundercats.. to mention a few good ones.

its a very long list..

Spartan005
Spongebob Squarepants, obviously.

IppoDLuffy
Hey Arnold and Powerpuff girls Recess was good also

Bouboumaster
The Undergrads. 'nuff said.

Quincy
Futurama and Batman: The Animated Series

Kento
Swat Kats most certainly make the list as one of the best American Cartoons. Shame it didn't go for very long.

Power Puff Girls
Johnny Bravo
Dexter's Lab (Before the art and everything changed)
Gargoyles.
Samurai Jack
All of them are great too.

Daft Ada
Thundercats

X-Men

Spider-Man 90ís

KingD19
Anything by Gendy Tartosvky
Biker Mice From Mars
Street Sharks
X-Men/Evolution/Wolverine
Gargoyles
Just about every super-hero themed show(All the Spider-Mans, even the MTV one, Silver Surfer, FF, Hulk, etc...
Afro Samurai
Star Wars Clone Wars( Cartoon and the other one)
That show about the super dogs
Kappa Mikey
The list goes on.

KingD19
I forgot about G1 Transformers and Beast Wars.

Endless Mike
Toss - up between Batman TAS and Samurai Jack

Vvendeta
I liked Justice league and jl unlimited
The old x men
Transformers old version
Thundercats

and never get tired of Tom and jerry and looney toons once in a while hehe

Smallville
Spider-Man mid-90's. Or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (old school)

Darth Jello
Assuming you mean cartoon in the traditional sense of the word and that you count Spumco as an LA based company, it's a four way tie between the original Fleischer pre-Hayes code Betty Boop, Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies under the direction of Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, and Frank Tashlin, the original Fleischer Popeye, and Ren and Stimpy in the hands of Spumco.

wicker_man
The Simpsons - The Led Zeppelin of TV

Other notables:

South Park
Family Guy
Futurama
Beavis and Butthead
Dilbert
American Dad
The Real Ghostbusters
Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles
& Thundercats

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Kento
Swat Kats most certainly make the list as one of the best American Cartoons. Shame it didn't go for very long.
God! I watched that show when I was like 5-6 lol.

As for me:

Batman TAS
Justice League Unlimited
TMNT
Ren & Stimpy
Looney Tunes (all of it)
Popeye

All equally good smile

teamB_macro
i'll go for avatar and the simpsons. might as well include spongebob big grin

First_Tsurugi06
Comedies like South Park, Simpsons, and Futurama are kind of a given imo. I've personally lost interest in Family Guy, but there are moments from it that I still like.

I liked some of the DCAU shows. Batman of course, and JL was pretty good (I never saw much of Justice League Unlimited though was it good/better than JL or not?). If I had to pick a least favorite(s), it'd have to be either Superman (this was even before I came to hate Superman) and/or Batman Beyond, though Return of the Joker was okay, especially Joker's last line in the Uncut's flashback scene before he dies: "That's not funny...".

Samurai Jack was one of the best things to come out of Cartoon Network since Johnny Bravo.

Now, ReBoot; That wasn't American-made, was it? IIRC it was produced in Canada...but it's still a personal favorite.

Spongebob is the antichrist. I still love "CHOCOLATE!!!" and all, but I stand by my statement.

Blinky
90's X-men and Spider-Man cartoons kicked a shit-ton of arse.

Etna
family guy

Ziggy22
The Simpson's
Family Guy
American Dad
King of the Hill
Thundercats
Spider-Man TAS
Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends

Mandrag Ganon
In order of how I enjoy them

Gargoyles
Batman: The Animated Series (90's)
Spider-Man: The Animated Series (90's)
X-Men (90's)
Beast Wars
The Simpsons
DarkWing Duck
The Real Ghostbusters
Inspector Gadget
Tail-Spin

draxx_tOfU
old school Disney's Mickey Mouse and Friends, Hannah Barbera, Loony tunes, Scooby Doo, and the Simpsons...

and all Mid 80's to early 90's cartoons...

AsbestosFlaygon
QP_rIAkb_v8

Juk3n
Duckman
Cow and Chicken
2 Stupid Dogs

Too many really, when it comes to good cartoons, late 80's/90's USA kicks major ass.

Dave_97
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
Comedies like South Park, Simpsons, and Futurama are kind of a given imo. I've personally lost interest in Family Guy, but there are moments from it that I still like.

I liked some of the DCAU shows. Batman of course, and JL was pretty good (I never saw much of Justice League Unlimited though was it good/better than JL or not?). If I had to pick a least favorite(s), it'd have to be either Superman (this was even before I came to hate Superman) and/or Batman Beyond, though Return of the Joker was okay, especially Joker's last line in the Uncut's flashback scene before he dies: "That's not funny...".

Samurai Jack was one of the best things to come out of Cartoon Network since Johnny Bravo.

Now, ReBoot; That wasn't American-made, was it? IIRC it was produced in Canada...but it's still a personal favorite.

Spongebob is the antichrist. I still love "CHOCOLATE!!!" and all, but I stand by my statement. reboot was indeed canadian.

zslick
comedy: would have to admit south park
non comedy: x-men

manly man
When it comes to historical/cultural references, and just the rather sophisticated wisecracks that they'd make about them without sounding particularly racist, I'd have to say it's a tie between The Animaniacs and Pinky and The Brain. And for just references, Scooby Doo, Where Are You! is my fave. Seriously, who hides dog treats from the police?

For badass characters, it goes to Samurai Jack. I know he's been mentioned over and over in here, but it just goes to show that he is, indeed, among the greatest.

When it comes to mutant creatures running amok and a small group of them tries to save the world, I've tied between TMNT(because it was the one that started this whole genre), and Street Sharks(because their mode of travel was kickass and the leader had a gun hidden in a pool cue. Not much cooler than that).

And when it goes for musical cartoons, I've got a draw between Metalocalype and Jem and The Holograms. I actually can't decide between thsoe two, sadly enough; Metalocalypse is an extreme, badass show that is full of blood, gore, guts, entrails, and stupidity, and the knot is tied on this package with a brutal ribbon of metal. As for Jem, there was the music, the consistent rivalry and storyline, and it was more sophistiated than the mere child's show it was originally intended to be. That, and I'd bet that if you listen well enough, there'd be a ton and a half of lesbian subtext.

I mean, you can't really say what cartoon is the best one of all; you have to go and divide them, really. There's just too many ways one can beat another and lose to the next. It would take way too much time to make a real decision on this sort of thing.

Scythe
The Simpsons.

Robtard
Captain Planet

Blinky
Originally posted by Robtard
Captain Planet

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/042009/captain_planet_costume.jpg

Scythe
I want to be as drunk as that guy so badly.

Blinky
Anybody remember this show?
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4339/beastwars0010wy4qh1.jpg

Beast Wars Transformers was top f*cking shelf. Definately one of my favorite American cartoons. Classic characters and storylines.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

agreed,i would have to say thats the best cartoon ever.

Zoom
Batman: The Animated Series (90's)
Spider-Man: The Animated Series (90's)
X-Men (90's)

. Hitosu Moriko
(reported)

Mr. Rhythmic
Bruce Timm Cartoons
South Park
The Simpsons
Looney Tunes
Transformers
Spectacular Spider-Man

dhajack
Minerva is the best american cartoon.I get more details. i need latest cartoons.

ankur29

jedc53
There are lots of American Cartoon.I like most The Simpsons.I have seen also Thundercats,Dungeons & Dragons,Muppet Babies and Duck Tales.

Elok Quintly
Originally posted by Blinky
Anybody remember this show?
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4339/beastwars0010wy4qh1.jpg

Beast Wars Transformers was top f*cking shelf. Definately one of my favorite American cartoons. Classic characters and storylines.
I raise you Beast Machines.

http://www.scottbaltjes.com/posters/BeastMachinesS.jpg
Mass Transformer genocide for the win.

marwash22
Justice League/Unlimited (and all the DCAU shows that preceded it)
Hey Arnold
Doug
Dexter's Lab
X-Men: Evolution
The Tick
Samurai Jack
Spiderman
Street Sharks
Futurama
Double Dragon
Beast Wars
Biker Mice from Mars
Ahh real monsters
Rocko's modern life
Angry Beavers
Daria
Undergrads
Venture Brothers
Boondocks

marwash22
there was one about King Arthur where animals came outta their shields, that show was pretty kick-ass.

alexander10
Tom and Jerry .I thing it is a one of best show not of children but every aged person.

The Big O
Originally posted by ankur29
avatar last airbender when this was stated, everyone should have agreed and this thread should have been complete.

menokokoro
The Simpsons. Most obvious answer sure, but 10 consecutive seasons of the best writing on television period, not to mention that even the later, less outstanding seasons (in my view season 11 onwards) are better than 90% of everything else on TV. a truer statement has never been uttered. this is literally exactly what i think, im actually watching the 3rd season right now, oh man i love it.

but for non comedy i would say Avatar: The last airbender, even though it is really funny

Kaibs
As much as I love The Simpsons, I don't think it's best anymore. The old seasons are still great yes. The newer ones recently have been decent too. Personally I like South Park best, but that's just me. I also like The Boondocks too though. But if we're going old school, it's always going to be Dexter's Laboratory for me.

The Big O
again, that's true too.

mindbomb
Venture bros
Simpsons
south park
adventure time
batman tas

AsbestosFlaygon
The best cartoon today is Adventure Time.

Mindship
Gumby
Bugs Bunny
Merrie Melodies
Fleischer Popeye
pre-idiot Space Ghost
Batman TAS
Batman Beyond
Justice League TAS
Gargoyles
Powerpuff Girls
Reboot
Family Guy
Simpsons
Farmer Gray (yeah, youtube that one for cartoon's earliest years)

cdtm
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
The best cartoon today is Adventure Time.

With Regular Show a fairly close second, imo.

srankmissingnin
http://geekatheart.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/gargoyles.jpg

The correct answer.

damsel-distress
Tom and Jerry
Always be

TheGodKiller
Looney Tunes in general and Duck Dodgers in particular .
Originally posted by damsel-distress
Tom and Jerry
Always be
This too .

marwash22
If you're a weed smoker/consumer, i highly recommend Adventure Time.

xtinataguba
simpsons and ragrats!

Whiteclipse
Adventure time for sure.
Southpark
Futurama
The Venture Bros
Batman TAS

When I was real young I thought Bucky O hare was pretty sweet

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Whiteclipse
Adventure time for sure.
Still the best American cartoon right now.

Best American cartoon OF ALL TIME?
Now that's a harder decision.
There are a few other American cartoons I consider gems in television history.
Batman TAS, Gargoyles, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Ren & Stimpy, etc.

Galan007
Gargoyles.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Galan007
Gargoyles.

psycho gundam
wZAhqEiq4cA

IamEvangeline
Originally posted by Galan007
Gargoyles.

Oh man I had totally forgotten about this series. It was EPIC when I was a kid.

Factchecker
Batman TAS is probably the best

AsbestosFlaygon
Top 3 right now, IMO:

1. Adventure Time
2. Sanjay and Craig
3. Gravity Falls

Regular Show started off great, but got tediously boring.

thanos-prime
Courage the cowardly dog

dynamix
Spiderman 90's animated series was my personal fav
90's Hulk cartoon was beautifully dark
Transformers
x-men 90's
justice league/unlimited
Simpsons
Beavis and Butthead lol
Ducktales
Nickelodeon had some great ones
this old cartoon called Visionaries
Dinorider

Cat Lady
Family Guy & The Simpsons

IceBreaker2000
Easily south park

flipperflip
x-men and the simpsons hands down

Nephthys
Avatar: The Last Airbender by a nautical mile.

Nothing really comes close.

cdtm
I don't know about being the best animated show ever, but this may well be the greatest thing in the history of anything:

gBYQAR8fG1w

Wei Phoenix
Taz-Mania for moments like this:

iLsTKahs79Y

Sacred 117
Originally posted by Nephthys

thumb upthumb upthumb upthumb up

AsbestosFlaygon

Not to mention it's equally splendid sequel, The Legend of Korra.
Can't believe I just started watching it.

I can honestly say the wholes series (The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra) is one of the best American cartoons ever created.

Sacred 117

Nothing really comes close. Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Not to mention it's equally splendid sequel, The Legend of Korra.
Can't believe I just started watching it.

I can honestly say the wholes series (The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra) is one of the best American cartoons ever created. Originally posted by Sacred 117
thumb upthumb upthumb upthumb up

SamZED
Last airbender yes. Legend of Korra not so much.

TheTyrant
Batman: The Animated Series, Samurai Jack, The Boondocks, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Justice League, The Angry Beavers, Batman Beyond, Transformers G1, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

heathjack
Denison the menace
Popeye
mummpets babies
captain planet
Alvin and the chipmunks
Thundarr The Barbarian
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 1980
The Herculoids
teange mutant ninja turtles 1980
the real ghost busters
Hong Kong phooey
wood wood pecker
mighty mouse
Casper the friendly ghost
Doug
swat kats
street sharks
static shock
heath cliff
Garfield and friends
Johnny quest
looney tons
tiny toons
Scooby doo were are you ?
a pup named Scooby doo
13 ghost of Scooby doo
The Flintstones
The Flintstones kids
top cat
the jetsons
wait unit your father gets home
droopy
x-men 1990s animated series
x-men evolution
wolverine and the x-men
spider-man 1973 animated series
the spectator spider-man
spider-man 1990 animated sereis
the unlimited spider-man it was kind of like spider-man 2099 but he went into space were he live on earth prime animals were the rulers
batman 1990 animated series
batman beyond animated series
justice league animated series
justice league unlimited animated sereis
super man 1990 animated series
goof troop
duck tales
chip n dale rescuer rangers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.