Hobbits vs. Halfings

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jayride
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE!!

(in your opinions)

Corran
Nothing, they are the same beings, Hobbits is the name they give themselves.

Fire
depends if you take a look at rpg's like dnd and adnd there is some difference between halflings and hobbits but not much tho

Dexx
it's the same thing...but i assume hobbits don't like to be called halflings.

Darth Ninja
I always thought that "halfling" was a D&D (AD&D) term for hobbit. Halfling is kinda insulting to any hobbit since it refers to their small stature in height.

mah
btw, thats the coolest quote in the film; "Release the halfling, she-elf!" or something like that, said by a ring-wraith. totally cool.

Ushgarak
It's simply a semi-insulting name for a Hobbit.

Fire
well I'm still quite sure there are differences between a halfling in dnd and (or) adnd and I'm gonna prove it when I get my PHB back

Ushgarak
Well, D&D isn't really pertinent to this, is it?

Brith
Hobbits call themselves Kuduk not Hobbits. The word Hobbit is the Westron word for them used by men (which comes from the translated Rohirric word for them holbytlan which literally means hole dweller).

Halflings is just a derogative name for them based on their size.

jayride
Brith ladies and gentlemen! *roaring applause*

Dexx
so...basicly they don'tlike it but it's the same thing...glad we figured this out.

maul's woman
If you read the other books there is a slight variation between Hobbiton Hobbits and Hobbits of Gollum's people. They were rather different. Fisher Folk.

But the answer is NO there is no difference between Hobbit and Halfling. Halfling is a nickname.

Dexx
nickname?..hmm..wouldn't call it that

GeekApprentice
The key difference in D&D between Halflings and Hobbits is that TSR was sued by Tolkien's estate for using the name Hobbit, so they adopted the less unique "Halfling" to indicate the same type of creatures.

http://www.dungeon-crawler.com/nov2000/hobbit.html

CaptainTrips
that is a false statement on the posted site there greek..i had personal correspondance with gary gygax himself (creator of D&D) and he informed me that ALL of dungeons and dragons was originally created specifically to role play LOTR..TSR..the company he sold D&D changed the name hobbit to halfling to avoid the impending suit you mentioned..here's something else for you D&D freaks..the original manual "DEITIES & DEMI-GODS" had stats for Sauron and even Jesus Christ..the reason it was banned

Smllfry247
there is no difference!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.