What is love? (School assignment, help please)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Extecute
I am going to work with a school project that is to be completed before friday this week. The work is supposed to be about love and I'm going to write a brief essay about what love is. Quite the complicated assignment I guess, but I found the topic interesting.

I have a problem though... I dont seem to find any famous texts from philosophs about this.. One part of the assignment is to observe what famous philosophs have said about it..

I got the hint with Sigmund Freud and to search for things about him, but I'm having a really hard time..

Therefore my question to you all is;

What is love, what have in history been said about love and do you have any useful links?

Quite embaressing to come here and ask, but I really dont have anything to loose embarrasment stick out tongue

Hydrono
I Hope this can help
http://www.iep.utm.edu/l/love.htm#H5

Bardock42
Baby don't hurt me....etc.

Storm
Plato' s Symposium is a discussion on the nature of love.
Blaise Pascal wrote Discours sur les passions de l' amour.

Naz
I've always personally described love as the emotional state in which you would be willing to die for the person that you love.

Darth Extecute
Anyone knows if C.S. Lewis, author of "The Four Loves" is the actual mind behind the different perspectives of love that is mentioned in his book, or if he simply have used the view of others and placed them into a book?

The views from the book is interesting, but I dont think it would be appreciated by my teacher if I came with inaccurate information, saying it is from C.S. Lewis while it's really from someone else no expression

Originally posted by Naz
I've always personally described love as the emotional state in which you would be willing to die for the person that you love.

If you love someone, your ready to die for them? What is then my love for my dogs? Because I'm not ready to take their place in heaven if the situation occurs.. I dont think I could take the place of my mother either if the choice of her life or mine would be at stake..

Tangible God
Originally posted by Naz
I've always personally described love as the emotional state in which you would be willing to die for the person that you love. I think that's more consummate love.

enjoyyrworries
Originally posted by Darth Extecute
What is then my love for my dogs? Because I'm not ready to take their place in heaven if the situation occurs..

According to fundamental Christianity, dogs don't have souls and therefore can't even be considered for entry. A lot of people say "but you get anything you want in Heaven," but what they don't realize is that, from a Christian perspective, God is all you really want anyway, and there's plenty of the Big Guy in Heaven.

All bullshit, sure, but what are you gonna do?

enjoyyrworries
Oh, and as to what love is...

"True love is the soul's recognition of its counter-point in another."
-John Beckwith

yes

Darth Extecute
Originally posted by enjoyyrworries
According to fundamental Christianity, dogs don't have souls and therefore can't even be considered for entry. A lot of people say "but you get anything you want in Heaven," but what they don't realize is that, from a Christian perspective, God is all you really want anyway, and there's plenty of the Big Guy in Heaven.

All bullshit, sure, but what are you gonna do?

Luckily I'm not religious.. I only used Heaven as another word of being dead..

Originally posted by Storm
Plato' s Symposium is a discussion on the nature of love.
Blaise Pascal wrote Discours sur les passions de l' amour.

Thanks for the tips yes

Originally posted by enjoyyrworries
Oh, and as to what love is...

"True love is the soul's recognition of its counter-point in another."
-John Beckwith

yes

You have anything more of his words than the quote? Could be useful confused

FistOfThe North
Hm. What is love to me?...Let's see.

Positively, love is good
Negatively, love is hedonistic
Philosophically, love is pain and joy meshed.
Biologically, love is chemical.
Physically, Love is tender.
Emotionally, love is blinding.
Spiritually, love is bliss
And mentally/psychologically, love is the ultimate form of unselfishness.

enjoyyrworries
You have anything more of his words than the quote? Could be useful confused

Sorry, but John Beckwith is Owen Wilson's character in Wedding Crashers roll eyes (sarcastic). It could be incorporated into your conclusion really well though.

Goddess Kali
Love is Blind

and it will take over ur mind

what you think is love...is truly not

u gotta elevate and find

love is blind ....

debbiejo
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Hm. What is love to me?...Let's see.

Positively, love is good
Negatively, love is hedonistic
Philosophically, love is pain and joy meshed.
Biologically, love is chemical.
Physically, Love is tender.
Emotionally, love is blinding.
Spiritually, love is bliss
And mentally/psychologically, love is the ultimate form of unselfishness. That's really good.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by debbiejo
That's really good.

Thanks, but I wasn't trying to be poetic or anything, just in case you thought so. I just put down what i felt love was, to me, technically.

And what i meant when i wrote those things was that it could be the love of and for anything material and/or personal, as well.

Syren
See my profile, I've quoted silver_tears. I love her idea of knowing you're in love smile

Symmetric Chaos
Love is in it's most basic form the reaction of chemicals in the brain coming from familiarity and attachment.

In a more poetic form love is undefineable by necessicty. If it were possible for us to say what love it on a metaphysical level then love would cease to be love on a certain level. However, I would say that love is a type of desire like most other emotions but that unlike most desires love (real not imagined) must be mutual.

Storm
Love is loving someone without expecting anything in return, no judgments, no restrictions, no limitations. Love is free and unconditional, it' s not mixed with various needs, conditions and demands from your partner.

Love is being honest with yourself at all times, being honest with the other person at all times, telling, listening, respecting the truth and never pretending. Love is an understanding so complete that you feel as if you are a part of the other person.

Love is the freedom to pursue your own desires while sharing your experiences with the other person, the growth of one individual alongside of and together with the growth of another individual.

Love is giving and taking in a daily situation, and being patient with each other' s needs and desires.

FistOfThe North
Love never dies. To me, there is no such thing as falling out of love.

What happened is that said person had a very strong liking for the other person or object and then that strong liking began to gradually fade causing said persons/object to drift apart.

Love is immune to anything that seems threatening to it.. That's why there's alot of pain involved in love.

If it were love. It'd still be.

chithappens
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
Love is Blind

and it will take over ur mind

what you think is love...is truly not

u gotta elevate and find

love is blind ....

Ok Eve. Kinda funny no one knows that song

BananaKing
I am going to work with a school project that is to be completed before friday this week. The work is supposed to be about love and I'm going to write a brief essay about what love is. Quite the complicated assignment I guess, but I found the topic interesting.

I have a problem though... I dont seem to find any famous texts from philosophs about this.. One part of the assignment is to observe what famous philosophs have said about it..

I got the hint with Sigmund Freud and to search for things about him, but I'm having a really hard time..

Therefore my question to you all is;

What is love, what have in history been said about love and do you have any useful links?

Quite embaressing to come here and ask, but I really dont have anything to loose embarrasment stick out tongue

I've always seen love as the need/want for close companionship with another due to their personality, looks etc etc.

Drusilla
Your brain is flooded with dopamine, serotonine and norepinephrine. They work like amphetamine, they stimulate the brain's pleasure center. Side effects are increased heart-rate, loss of appetite/sleep, excitement.

Just tried a different point of view. smile

Darth Extecute
Originally posted by Drusilla
Your brain is flooded with dopamine, serotonine and norepinephrine. They work like amphetamine, they stimulate the brain's pleasure center. Side effects are increased heart-rate, loss of appetite/sleep, excitement.

Just tried a different point of view. smile

Nice point of view big grin

Jana
Plato
(Freud)
FROMM (he wrote an entire book about the different kinds of love)

Just the ones from the top of my head.. It is probably too late already anyway. Sorry.

Adam_PoE
ll3KO-wtVSY

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.