Truth and the fact

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Inspectah Deck
what is the difference between truth and fact?

argesilen
Maybe that facts are obvious, like composition of water is H-O-H, and they are only signs for the truth, truth is one, and facts are many but are signals to our mind in what direction we need to focus our thinking...
One example would be that 2+2=4, and we all agree that it is, but the truth would be if we discover why is it so...
Not much of the thinking process involved in this matter, just what came up to me in this momentsmile

Symmetric Chaos
Truth is the basis of fact. Fact is the representation of truth about reality.

Mindship
A fact represents a reliable piece of information, but it may not necessarily be valid as far as truth is concerned. "Truth" I see as "what's really going on," independent of human perspective.

Goddess Kali
Truth is reality, regardless of whether or not we see it.

Fact is what we label what we recognize as truth. Facts can change when proven false. Truth does not change.

WheretoVirtue?
Although facts are the truth..and the truth is a fact.

Truth and Fact are synonyms.

chithappens
Originally posted by WheretoVirtue?

if

truth = x

and

fact = y

then

x does not equal y.

What you said you believe is true but everyone else posted what they believed was true.

If someone pasted definitions of the words, those definitions would be considered fact.

Inspectah Deck
what if a girl found out her boyfriend was gay

would that be the truth or a fact?

Tangible God
It's a fact. But it's also the truth.

One and the same.

WheretoVirtue?
And why are Truth and Fact equaling different letters?

They both have the same base in their definitions. They are both used in each others definitions!
Practically every time you use the word FACT you can replace it with the word TRUE.
Can you except synonyms or not?

Storm
Genuine facts are always true, but a fact isn' t quite the same as a true proposition.

Mindship
They both have the same base in their definitions. They are both used in each others definitions!
Practically every time you use the word FACT you can replace it with the word TRUE.

This is probably because most dictionaries define words as (more/less) generally understood. They're not going to delve into finer nuances of meaning and/or any philosophical implications, such as many of us at KMC like to do.

chithappens

Do not have the conversation with someone face to face. They will chew you up and spit you out if you repeat that.

I'm guess you mean "accept" instead of "except" also...

chithappens
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
what if a girl found out her boyfriend was gay

would that be the truth or a fact?

I'm certain someone can say this better than me but here goes:

Facts are objective and will be true if someone knows it is that way or not.

Truth is dependent on paradigm or previously known data (or told data).

Before she finds out: The boy is gay - that is a fact. She doesn't not have to know he is gay for it be a fact. He is gay regardless of her knowledge of it. It is also true because he is REALLY IS gay.

She finds out: It is both truth and fact TO HER now.

Another example: In the movie 28 Weeks Later, a man leaves his wife, who wanted to go back to save a young boy, in a house with the infected (which are like fast zombies creatures) and she is attacked. He could have attempted to leave with her but he thought he could make it out alive if alone. He survives and tells his children (the children he had with his wife; this is "28 weeks" after that event) there was nothing he could do and he saw her die. All he actually saw was her getting attacked up by the infected as she banged on the window screaming his name, but he assumed she died. She is found later on in the movie, still alive.

Here are a few example that can be given:

Telling the children there was nothing he could do:

- Not a fact because he COULD HAVE attempted to save her along with the child. She was not dead before he left her behind. They would have likely all died if he tried but he said there was nothing he could do. It is not true because of how he said it "there was NOTHING I could do."

There is always a possibility for weird shit to happen but he did not even attempt to save them so this is not true either; however this is what he told the children so to them, what their father says was TRUE and a fact (subjectively, because they trust his word), BUT it is not a fact objectively because that is not what REALLY HAPPENED.

KEEP IN MIND NOT ALL TRUTHS ARE FACTS, BUT ALL FACTS ARE TRUTHS (if this next example is wrong please correct me).

Locke explained the "blank slate" idea in that all people start off with their knowledge and morality blank. They learn from what is around them - company they keep and how they are educated (it much more complex and it is not a slight of Locke but I am paraphrasing for this point in particular).

Similarly, in the Bible it says:

"Train up a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Prov 22:6)

I would continue but I do not want to look like a pompous ass. Someone please pick up.

WheretoVirtue?
Originally posted by chithappens
Do not have the conversation with someone face to face. They will chew you up and spit you out if you repeat that.

I'm guess you mean "accept" instead of "except" also...

And what a guess it was! I'm guessing you meant "guessing" instead of "guess"..that's quite petty huh? It's like you forgot the "because".

So, what I'm getting is that a fact is commonly seen as something that can be decidedly proven (through what is trusted and reasonable- scientific understanding).

And that truth is more so seen as a self apparent fact, that doesn't have to be proven in the exact way as fact.

"Hence science prefers to use the term fact in preference to truth and other fields such as theology prefers to use the term truth in preference to fact!"

chithappens

Now you are refuting yourself?

chithappens
And what a guess it was! I'm guessing you meant "guessing" instead of "guess"..that's quite petty huh? It's like you forgot the "because".

Actually it could have made quite a difference...

This could be something I do not know. Hell, I was asking.

WheretoVirtue?
Honestly, I read a few things online and my opinion has changed.
It's not as if it was an extreme opinion or anything...have you ever learned anything? You may have-then you might understand.

But, I feel confident with what I wrote latest on Truth and Fact.

Goddess Kali
Actually, the boyfreind being gay would be truth. That's the reality of it.

Him being straight or gay to the eyes of other people would be Fact.

Fact is our labelling and recognition of the Truth.

The Truth exists on its own.

chithappens
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
Actually, the boyfreind being gay would be truth. That's the reality of it.

Him being straight or gay to the eyes of other people would be Fact.

Fact is our labelling and recognition of the Truth.

The Truth exists on its own.

I would said that the exact opposite. Truth and fact replacing each other in each spot.

WheretoVirtue?

So, what I'm getting is that a fact is commonly seen as something that can be decidedly proven (through what is trusted and reasonable- scientific understanding).

And that truth is more so seen as a self apparent fact, that doesn't have to be proven in the exact way as fact.

"Hence science prefers to use the term fact in preference to truth and other fields such as theology prefers to use the term truth in preference to fact!"

No! Doesn't what I said make so much sense? Conform! Conform!

chithappens
The only reason I do not agree is because you are calling facts "commonly seen" and truths "seen as a self apparent."

Not really definite in either explaination.

WheretoVirtue?
Well, jeeze nothing short of definite is good for some people huh?

I could of changed those words to more promising ones..I still can..

chithappens
Definitions do require "definite" wording otherwise it could mean various things

WheretoVirtue?
I understand..
But if we wanted to be real definite about what we're talking about..wouldn't we just compare the definitions ?
People don't seem to accept that..I was trying to give more..and now it has to be more definite!?

Some theory mixed with definitions is needed?

leonheartmm
TRUTH=CLAIM OF EXISTANCE
FACT=VERIFYABLE CLAIM OF EXISTANCE

chithappens
I understand..
But if we wanted to be real definite about what we're talking about..wouldn't we just compare the definitions ?
People don't seem to accept that..I was trying to give more..and now it has to be more definite!?

Some theory mixed with definitions is needed?

You must be taking this personally because you are missing my point entirely.

Facts are objective and will be true if someone knows it is that way or not.

Truth is dependent on paradigm or previously known data (or told data).

This is more solid and not wavering on "commonly known" and so on.

Facts are true, but not all truths are facts. Someone can be ignorant to something, and call it true. According to their paradigm, it is true but it is not factual.

Fact just is.

Truth is dependent on things that are not always factual.

All facts are true. Not all truths are facts.

WheretoVirtue?
You must be taking this personally because you are missing my point entirely.

This is more solid and not wavering on "commonly known" and so on.

Facts are true, but not all truths are facts. Someone can be ignorant to something, and call it true. According to their paradigm, it is true but it is not factual.

Fact just is.

Truth is dependent on things that are not always factual.

All facts are true. Not all truths are facts.

I must? Uh..huh..
Yeah, I'm stuck to what I said.

Alpha Centauri
As said previously, all facts are true.

E.g: It was always a fact that the Earth is round, but people didn't consider it true. It always was, though.

-AC

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
As said previously, all facts are true.

E.g: It was always a fact that the Earth is round, but people didn't consider it true. It always was, though.

-AC

I find myself agreeing with that statement.

Alpha Centauri
Something can be false even though it's accepted as true, e.g; the Earth was flat. Accepted as true, wasn't.

Once proven as fact, that fact became truth.

-AC

AOR
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
what is the difference between truth and fact?

Truths are composed of facts, but not all facts compose truths...

Then again you can argue the legitimacy of half truths and whole truths and whether or not a fact supporting a half truth is the same as the whole truth since it is a truth none the less. As awkward as the reasoning sounds.

Synonyms?

chithappens
Why even post anything if you are not going to read the previous posts before your own?

AOR
Why even post anything if you are not going to read the previous posts before your own?

I'm sorry, who are you addressing?

WheretoVirtue?
Chances are someone has already said what you said. Read the pages.
People come and post in a topic their opinion and other new people agree with them, meanwhile someone had already said the same thing.

AOR
Chances are someone has already said what you said. Read the pages.
People come and post in a topic their opinion and other new people agree with them, meanwhile someone had already said the same thing.

So what's your point? If my opinion has already been stated, instead of so rudely rebuking me for something already said, why don't you simply redirect me to the previous comment, or repeat the question/rebuttal that you gave my predecessor?

WheretoVirtue?
Well don't you think if I quoted the previous comment, and said "opinion stated already" you might resent that a little. Unless of course I added a pleasant smiley face..but I just don't think I would.

You can spend the same amount of time either reading previous posts or witting a completely "original" one. And yet if you write one without reading, then I have to quote. Why don't you read as many posts as you think you should, learn a few things from them and write a newly informed one. That'll keep this topic alive.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.