Agility

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mindship
Since I didn't get too much feedback on this topic in the Comic Book Questions thread, I thought this might be a better approach (which means a little pasting from that thread, so please bear with me).

Unlike, say, Strength or Speed, Agility seems to be perhaps the most complex of the basic athletic abilities. It seems to be comprised of 5 basic components...
1. Awareness: you need to know, of course, what's happening in your environment and with your body.
2. Coordination: moving your body so as to avoid getting hit.
3. Flexibility: the more you have, the more options you have for moving your body out of the way.
4. Balance: maintaining control of your body and movements.
5. Speed: obviously, the faster you are, the harder it will be for something to strike you (all else being equal).

In the Comic Questions thread, I then asked, who would be considered more agile - Spider-Man or the Flash? Why? Someone said Flash, because of his speed; another said Spider-Man.

Certainly, Flash is much faster and tougher to hit. But is that, strictly speaking, Agility? His movements are (AFAIK) rather simple compared to the acrobatic, bouncing-off-the-wall Spider-Man does. Speed factor aside, Spider-Man displays the superior coordination, flexibility and balance; he's multi-directionally evasive, whereas Flash is more linear, just ultra-overwhelmingly faster (sort of like the difference between how a human plays chess and how a computer plays chess).

So then, what gives? Should Speed be given the overwhelming consideration? Should it be factored out to level the playing field?

I'm asking all this because we have an overall Power Ranking System, a Strength Ranking System; I thought it might be interesting to come up with something on Agility. So far, the factors I'm trying to organize are...
1. Amount: number of incoming assaults to avoid.
2. Direction: number of different directions of incoming assaults.
3. Time: duration between incoming assaults.

(Obviously, I'm kind of defining Agility as the capacity to dodge something.)

All feedback is welcome.

xmarksthespot
When I think agile I think Beast, Nightcrawler, Spider-Man type characters... if that helps...

Wally West
I think of agility I think of it more in terms of coordination and balance rather than speed, in fact I've never thought super speed had anything to do with agility.

So I would always say characters like Spider-Man, Nightwing, DareDevil, Nightcrawler, Gambit etc. are more agile than Flash, Superman, etc. Dodging something doesn't always = agility.

Mindship
Originally posted by Wally West
Dodging something doesn't always = agility.
Quite true, though I think that's what most people think of in the superhero genre.

cooldivya
Agility: abstract noun
1. The ability to move quickly and easily with much gracefulness.
2. The ability to think and draw conclusions quickly.

Thus five characteristics make a person agile

Rethink...

Juntai
Originally posted by cooldivya
Agility: abstract noun
1. The ability to move quickly and easily with much gracefulness.
2. The ability to think and draw conclusions quickly.

Rethink... And Flash does do that!

Mindship
Originally posted by cooldivya
Agility: abstract noun I disagree. Physical agility can be demonstrated empirically/concretely.

1. The ability to move quickly and easily with much gracefulness. This is indeed a nice sound-bite definition, though one could analyze "easily" and "gracefulness" in terms of Coordination, Flexibility and Balance. However, with "quickly," it would appear that Speed is being emphasized over the other elements.

2. The ability to think and draw conclusions quickly. Here Agility could be classified as abstract. But for the purposes of this thread, mental agility is irrelevant.

1. Awareness
2. Coordination
3. Flexibility
4. Balance
5. Speed

Juntai
Originally posted by Mindship
I disagree. Write Websters if you disagree with the definition of Agility.
big grin

Juntai
And what you have listed under Awareness easily falls into definition 2.

you agreed with everything it wrote, but just listed it in different classifications. And said you disagreed with it's definition.

Juntai
Actually, upon looking at dictionary.com, it doesn't have it listed as an abstract, but just a noun.

Mindship
Originally posted by Juntai
And what you have listed under Awareness easily falls into definition By Awareness I mean sensory and kinesthetic, not cognitive/problem-solving ability.

Symmetric Chaos
Flexibility and skill would be my major factors.

An agile person can overcome the gap left by speed using agility.

Mindship
What do you mean by "skill?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.