Bin Laden Info. declassified, plans for Iraq..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sithsaber408
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18809646/

Bush cites declassified bin Laden intelligence
Iraq cell reportedly told to plan attacks abroad, in U.S., president says

NEW LONDON, Conn. - President Bush, stressing that Americans face an ongoing threat from terrorists, shared intelligence on Wednesday asserting that Osama bin Laden was working in 2005 to set up a unit inside Iraq to hit U.S. targets.

Much of the information Bush cited in a commencement address at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy described terrorism plots already revealed, but he fleshed out details and highlighted U.S. successes in foiling planned attacks.

Bush said that intelligence showed that in January 2005, bin Laden tasked Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, his senior operative in Iraq, to set up the cell to use Iraq as a staging ground for attacks in the United States. Al-Zarqawi was killed in Iraq in June 2006 by a U.S. airstrike.

This information expanded on a classified bulletin the Homeland Security Department issued in March 2005. The bulletin, which warned that bin Laden had enlisted al-Zarqawi to plan potential strikes in the United States, was described at the time as credible but not specific. It did not prompt the administration to raise its national terror alert level.

Bush, who is battling Democrats in Congress over spending for the unpopular war in Iraq, also said that in the spring of 2005, bin Laden instructed Hamza Rabia, a senior operative, to brief al-Zarqawi on an al-Qaida plan to attack sites outside Iraq.

Around the same time, Abu Fajah al-Libi, a senior al-Qaida manager, suggested that bin Laden send Rabia to Iraq to help al-Zarqawi plan the external operations, he said. It is unclear whether Rabia went to Iraq.

Bush said that another suspected al-Qaida operative, Ali Salih al-Mari, was trained in Afghanistan and dispatched to the United States before the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

"Our intelligence community believes Ali Salih was training in poisoning at an al-Qaida camp in Afghanistan and had been sent to the United States before 9-11 to serve as a sleeper agent ready for follow-on attacks," Bush said.

Bush also talked about how in 2003, intelligence officials uncovered and stopped an aviation plot led by another suspected senior al-Qaida operative named Abu Bakr al-Azdi.

"Our intelligence community believes this plot was to be another East Coast aviation attack, including multiple airplanes that had been hijacked and then crashed into the United States," Bush said.

Frances Fragos Townsend, the White House homeland security adviser, said new details about the plots were declassified because the intelligence community has tracked all leads from the information, and that the players were either dead or in U.S. custody.

The Bush White House in the past has declassified and made public sensitive intelligence information to help rebut critics or defend programs or decisions against possibly adverse decisions in the Congress or the courts. On a few occasions, the declassified materials were intended to be proof that terrorists see Iraq as a critical staging ground for global operations.

(I love this next part.)

Democrats and other critics have accused Bush of selectively declassifying intelligence, including portions of a sensitive National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq, to justify the U.S.-led invasion on grounds Saddam Hussein's regime possessed weapons of mass destruction.

That assertion proved false.

"It would have been really helpful for the president to have been able to use this classified information earlier," Townsend said.

Using the information earlier would have allowed the president to use it to his political advantage, she said. "This is kind of late to be able to bring this to the game," she said, adding that intelligence officials needed time to exploit the information.

^^^^For all the crap Bushy gets for using terrorism to his advantage, seems that there REALLY WERE plans for Iraq with Al-Queada, from Bin Laden himself, over two years ago.

But Bush kept mum, in order to have the proper investigations done.

This doesn't necessarily make the war in Iraq right in the first place, or make Bush a smart or good president, but I find it very interesting to read that many of the things he talks about are probablly true, and cannot be talked about because they are classified.

Discuss.

inimalist
so when the american's finally pull out of Iraq, are the mujahadeens going to go to Afghanistan again or somewhere new?

lil bitchiness
Mujahedeen is an Arabic word for fighter. So, any Muslims, technically, involved in conflict are Mujahedeens, which means that theorietically they're already in Afghanistan.

Are you erfering to a politicized use of word ''mujahedeen'' or any other particular group?

chithappens
"Declassified" yea sure. I don't trust anything this administration says. It's always to help their "We can't tell you because the bad guys will know."

Interesting Patriot Act II never really got covered by the news but this gets headlines ASAP...

Some people are really gullible.

inimalist
I'm using the word I have heard scholars of the Islamic world use to refer to the groups of individuals who travel to conflict zones in order to defend what they see as the "Islamic" world.

As far as I know it refers to a quasi-nationalistic movement of people that oppose Western involvement in the Muslim world...

The majority of these individuals are now in Iraq (which attests to how small the movement might be), there was a similar issue when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan. My thought is that all the gains made in Afghanistan may be in jeopardy once there is a power vacuum in Iraq and no "foreign infidels" to hold this radical group.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by chithappens
"Declassified" yea sure. I don't trust anything this administration says. It's always to help their "We can't tell you because the bad guys will know."

Interesting Patriot Act II never really got covered by the news but this gets headlines ASAP...

Some people are really gullible.

I almost took that seriously, until I read your sig.

chithappens
Originally posted by sithsaber408
I almost took that seriously, until I read your sig.

Wow you ass. What does have to do with anything?

Anyway... For people who wanna see it:

EFF ANalysis of Patriot Act II (link to the document on the page)

Schecter
bush: fail

Robtard
Your Avatar with the drool (looking like toothpaste) looks more like "he's" brushing his teeth with an invisible toothbrush than the universal sign for "Suck C@ck!".

Schecter
right. thats exactly what i intended it to be. a statement on oral hygene...and by that i mean gargling sperm

FeceMan
Originally posted by Schecter
right. thats exactly what i intended it to be. a statement on oral hygene...and by that i mean gargling sperm
droolio

BackFire
Originally posted by Schecter

*gargle*

Devil King
The really fun part of this situation is the years quoted. In 2004 there was no insurgency, but now there is.

No one denies that there are groups who entertain anti-American sentiments in Iraq now. The point is that they had no real, active foothold until we gave them one. This is why this late date cop-out fails.

Maybe your buttbuddy Bush should have done something about Bin Laden BEFORE he invaded Iraq. We can find Saddam in a spider hole, but not Osama?

Fishy
Originally posted by Devil King
The really fun part of this situation is the years quoted. In 2004 there was no insurgency, but now there is.

No one denies that there are groups who entertain anti-American sentiments in Iraq now. The point is that they had no real, active foothold until we gave them one. This is why this late date cop-out fails.

Maybe your buttbuddy Bush should have done something about Bin Laden BEFORE he invaded Iraq. We can find Saddam in a spider hole, but not Osama?

Exactly,

everybody knows this already, people in Iraq hate the US and would want to attack it everywhere. They wouldn't have done so before the invasion of Iraq however.

The only true statement here is that Bush would have been able to use it to his advantage if the information would have been released earlier, stopping terrorist attacks might make him a bit more popular.

chithappens
Originally posted by Fishy

The only true statement here is that Bush would have been able to use it to his advantage if the information would have been released earlier, stopping terrorist attacks might make him a bit more popular.

If by "stopping terrorist attacks" you mean the War in Iraq is preventing terrorists from coming here then you are wrong.

You don't need "resources" or large numbers to do something like 9/11, for example - good communication is all that is necessary once the pilot training is complete.

This is all just a way to get votes for the budget to finance the war (they vote today I believe).

Fishy
If by "stopping terrorist attacks" you mean the War in Iraq is preventing terrorists from coming here then you are wrong.

You don't need "resources" or large numbers to do something like 9/11, for example - good communication is all that is necessary once the pilot training is complete.

This is all just a way to get votes for the budget to finance the war (they vote today I believe).

Read the article, they stopped several attacks against the US in the same time, it has nothing to do with Iraq, but they did stop terrorist attacks. That could have helped Bush. Why the attacks where there in the first place is likely not really relevant to most.

chithappens
Originally posted by Fishy
Read the article, they stopped several attacks against the US in the same time, it has nothing to do with Iraq, but they did stop terrorist attacks. That could have helped Bush. Why the attacks where there in the first place is likely not really relevant to most.

Look, if me and a friend wanted to go shoot up a mall it would be hard for authorities to find out if we did not want them 2.

I am very, very skeptical of terrorist intelligence because there is no reason to make it clear what you want to do. What terrorist leaves blueprints of what they are going to do? Armies do that. Random guerrilla warfare types do not make it so clear.

If Al Qeda really was around everywhere, there would just be car bombs going off everywhere rather than meticulously drawn plans that take forever to put into action. That is terrorism. I don't know what this crap is.

That is not to slight people who are risking themselves on different fronts, but something is terribly fishy (weird pun laughing ).

Fishy
Look, if me and a friend wanted to go shoot up a mall it would be hard for authorities to find out if we did not want them 2.

I am very, very skeptical of terrorist intelligence because there is no reason to make it clear what you want to do. What terrorist leaves blueprints of what they are going to do? Armies do that. Random guerrilla warfare types do not make it so clear.

If Al Qeda really was around everywhere, there would just be car bombs going off everywhere rather than meticulously drawn plans that take forever to put into action. That is terrorism. I don't know what this crap is.

That is not to slight people who are risking themselves on different fronts, but something is terribly fishy (weird pun laughing ).

Terrorists need to recruit, get money and get orders just like any group of people. Find leaders and their channels and you might be able to register what they are doing. If it was as easy as you would make it out to be a lot more people would have bombed the US already.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.