It all began back in 1977

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
I wasnt born when star wars first came out . I just want star wars fans to share views on how its was back in 1977 when star wars first came out .

What made you go and see this movie ? How old where you ? etc..

Thanks

queeq
I was eight, my dad took the whole family there in a crappy local movie theater. It blew me away.

Schecter
lol queeq is old

~JP~
Originally posted by coolmovies
I wasnt born when star wars first came out . I just want star wars fans to share views on how its was back in 1977 when star wars first came out .

What made you go and see this movie ? How old where you ? etc..

Thanks

I was 16. Went to see this on opening day on my very first date. laughing out loud

Went back to see it the next night and the next with my girlfriends. smile

queeq
Too bad I didn't know you then. wink

sithsaber408
^^^That'd be only slightly less creepy than 9 year old Anakin and 14 year old padme. stick out tongue

~JP~
Bwahahahaha! laughing

But Queeq is right, we were destined to be together..............oh well, in another lifetime perhaps. love

roughrider
Originally posted by queeq
I was eight, my dad took the whole family there in a crappy local movie theater. It blew me away.

I was also 8. We went to one of our local Drive-Ins - I came from a small town, and we had two! It was like nothing I'd ever seen before. Liam Neeson once put it like this - "it was like we were REALLY seeing a movie for the first time." Like what came before seemed so static & slow; we were reminded again that Movies MOVE, so to speak.
The T-Shirts were in all department stores; a disco version of the main theme was on the radio. Summertime, and the month of May, I have associated with STAR WARS to this day.

vintageSW77
i was 8 too
my earliest memory of Star Wars is seeing the novel in a bookstand during the summer holidays and thinking "that looks good"
then came the clip on tv which was always the escape from Mos Eisley scene and right away i was fascinated by Chewie as i was a big Planet Of The Apes fan and at the time i thought he looked like a big ape
then came the Marvel comic and entering the competition to win one of the MPC models before the movie was released(we got it later than the U.S)
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x204/cylob45/C3POMain.jpg
i didnt win but i got one bought anyway
then there was the STAR WARS ALBUM magazine with the Hilderbrandt cover
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x204/cylob45/StarWarsAlbum800.jpg and the poster book i got from my mum which she got me as a surprise after a shopping trip
then came the movie
i went to see it with my friend and i even remember the hamlet cigar advert which was on before the film which featured a robot on a conveyor belt and feeling smug as the audience laughed when they realised it wasnt the actual movie beginning but a cleverley placed advertisement
thats when the "them and us" thing started
they didnt understand even at the beginning
i made sure i found out which of my pals were going to the and when movie and tagged along so i must have seen it about 5 times with pals and twice with family
i was blown away ...Planet of the What? Star Trek?? Dr Who? i put them all to one side and the obsession began
which scarily is a strong as ever
whilst the movie was doing its run came those 3 3/4 figures which im off out today to buy a couple more of
nothing changes
the prequels may have been a pile but thank you Lucas for putting pencil to paper and writing THE STAR WARS

vintageSW77
i have to post this as it brings back good memories of the 70s
and the surprise when i saw the size of these things
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x204/cylob45/ARTOFFFF.jpg

ADarksideJedi
I was not born till the eightys.So I had not seen the movie when it first came out.My brothers however did and they love it.My dad claim it was teh best movie of all times and had special efforts that he never seen before!jm

chewy16
I was 5 years old that summer, and I do have feint memories of the movie. I do remember for some reason Vader entering the prison cell of Leia with that flying truth serum ball and the door closing shut and I yelled at the screen, "How could do that to your daugther Anakin!" stick out tongue

I just remember EVERYONE I know saw the movie, the long lines waiting to go see it, the movie was a pure event for ANY person who went to the movies, cause there were no SW fans yet. I do remember the death star blowing up and the crowd went crazy, and as the movie ended, the crowd clapped and there was utter jubliation from so many people. The movie still resonates the same as it did for me in 1977, and that is a testament to the greatness of the movie, put aside the OT, or the saga now, but that movie works as a standalone movie with a beginning, middle, and ending, and in the context that it was written that Luke, Leia, and Vader are not related, it is still my favorite movie of all-time. Thanks George, I may have my beefs with ya for the SE & PT, but the OT and especially SW are #1 in my book.

queeq
Originally posted by vintageSW77
i have to post this as it brings back good memories of the 70s
and the surprise when i saw the size of these things
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x204/cylob45/ARTOFFFF.jpg

Great ad. I had them all.

Why do they shake like that?

vintageSW77
How old is USH ?
was he there in 77?

queeq
Hmmm.... not sure. Don't think so.

Count Makashi
Them, some people are realy old on this forum.

vintageSW77
When as old as some of the forum members you reach...look as good you will not!

OB1-adobe
I wasn't born until 1979.

Apparently my parents took me to go see Empire when I was like.......8-10 months old.

I guess I cried amd my Mom had to take me out into the lobby. I must have ruined someones time.

Sith Master X
I was -11.

I rented it when I was in the second grade and loved it. I made my mother go and get the next two afterwards.

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by roughrider

stumbled on that on limewire and got it right here.

nothing to share, wasn't born till waaaay after.

Tattoo
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I was -11.

I rented it when I was in the second grade and loved it. I made my mother go and get the next two afterwards.

-7 here. smile

I first got into Star Wars when I was 3 years old because of my uncle. He was the biggest Star Wars guy I knew at the time, still is actually. He sat me down with the flicks and it's been a happy ride ever since. We even got to go to the 30th anniversary party together.

Sith Master X
That must have really cool. No better way to celebrate either. smile

queeq
Nice.

Count Makashi
I only know one person who likes SW, its very unpopular in the country where i live. .

queeq
It's rare in my country as well. But they do exist.

Count Makashi
I thought you were from USA.

queeq
I am from lots of different places.

MasterAshenVor
I remember sitting on my couch when i was 4 and my uncle comeing in with 3 video tapes back then they still used VHS it was 1996 and at the time i had never seen Star Wars Befor my uncle put in the tape and started to watch it i was sitting there so i watched it. as soon as i saw that Big ol' Star Destroyer come into view i was FIXED! and for the longest time i thought leia was the hottest chick on earth and i thought those bun currles were the most stupid things on earth too. Cant imagine a day without STAR WARS - POWER TO YOU GL

General G
I don't like those bun curls, they always bugged, but I learned to live with it. As soon as I saw the Hoth battle, I was fixed.

queeq
I always loved the very 70s lip gloss. It came back in style a few years ago... teeeheee.

MasterAshenVor
LOL queeq why dont you buy some for yourself smile

queeq
Good suggestion.

I worked with a pretty television host this year. She also uses the lip gloss... eek!

amity75
In 1977 before I saw it, the only clip you could see on TV along with the droids bickering in the desert was the escape from the Death Star attack showing some robot putting out a fire and a shaggy haired kid in a karate suit being attacked by these amazing looking ships piloted by the coolest looking thing I'd ever seen in all of my six years. I saw the clip for the 1st time while home for lunch from school, it was going to be on some program at 3pm. I didn't finish school till 3 and I remember running as fast as I could all the way home to see it. I knew I wouldnt make it in time but even at that point I was calling it "My favourite film".

queeq
Hehehe.... instant SW addict eh? Nice.

coolmovies
do you have a crush on her ?

General G
Thats a weird question.

coolmovies
Just asking lolls

queeq
Why?

General G
Because he wants to know, why else would he ask?

queeq
He wants lols...

coolmovies
forget it then

General G
He is avoiding the question.

queeq
Why?

General G
You tell us, you are the one avoiding it.

Alliance
Originally posted by Schecter
lol queeq is old

ROFL

coolmovies
The first time i saw SW was at Christmas back in the 80s . It was Rotj jabba the hut ohh on tv

General G
You watched the last one first?

queeq
On TV? THat must have been late 80s then.

coolmovies
ya i was born in 1982 am not even a fan !

General G
You are not a fan and in the SW forums?

queeq
See. That's how great SW is. Even non-fans can't stop talking about it.

Alliance
Nah...he's a closet fan.

If you can't stop talking about it...you're a fan.

General G
He knows it deep inside.

Alliance
Kind of like how GG knows he's getting f*cked.

(in war of course)

General G
Nope.

Alliance
Still need that comprehenshion chip upgrade?

queeq
I guess it never arrived. The CIS werent beaten, were they? Because taht would explain the delay... but the CIS are soooo unbeatable, I cant imagine them losing...

General G
Exactly, you get it.

Alliance
laughing out loud That was priceless. Droids have like a 5 second memory.

General G
Actually, I refused to not respodn to you and went for the part where queeq agreed we were not beaten.

Alliance
1...2...3...4...5..gone.

General G
Your gone? Oh good.

Alliance
laughing out loud your memeory does suck.

General G
Your the one thats gone.

Alliance
You only think I'm gone because you can't remember that I'm there.

General G
laughing out loud

I think I would remember something like that. Droids don't forget things. Has your computer ever forgotten something?

Alliance
It has crashed...and it forgets when I take a giant magnet to its ass.

Count Makashi
Originally posted by General G
laughing out loud

I think I would remember something like that. Droids don't forget things. Has your computer ever forgotten something?

General Grievous forgot something, he forgot to be cool and a great fighter.

Alliance
...and a winner.

General G
Umm...he won many battles.

Alliance
EU! laughing out loud

he never won one 13

General G
No! He said while on the bridge that their lightsabers would add a fine addition to his collection...so therefore, by showing more lightsabers, that implies he has killed Jedi before! cool

Alliance
Maybe he was just an avid fan. Lets base our opinoins on fact here.

General G
An avid fan of what?

This is fact!

coolmovies
You dont have to be a fan to like something .

coolmovies
I like Lotr more then sw

General G
LOTR was extremely good, but I still prefer Star Wars.

Alliance
Originally posted by General G
An avid fan of what?

This is fact!

Collecting Lightsabers. It never said he killed anyone.

General G
How else would he have gotten them? You can't just go to the store and pick one up.

Alliance
You can make them. He could by them, the CIS was very wealthy.

maybe they lost because GG was out buying lightsabers.

General G
If they were that easy to make, wouldn't everybody go make one?

He used all the CIS's money on buying lightsabers for himself? *sigh*

Alliance
Yup. thats is. it.

General G
No. No. And no.

queeq
I hear PT stuff, wrong forum. CLOSING

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.