The Golden Compass

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Crimson Phoenix
Have anyone seen the trailer?

www.goldencompassmovie.com

I cannot wait til its released. My favourite trilogy of all time is finally being adapted. My only fear is the anti-religious stuff being downplayed for the american audience.

Solo
yeah, it looks pretty great right?

=Tired Hiker=
Christ, talking polar bears? It looks good, but I hope the anti religious stuff is downplayed for me, because I'm an American.

Lightningrod
Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix

I cannot wait til its released. My favourite trilogy of all time is finally being adapted. My only fear is the anti-religious stuff being downplayed for the american audience.

saw the trailer during potc 3
looks awesome

Crimson Phoenix
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Christ, talking polar bears? It looks good, but I hope the anti religious stuff is downplayed for me, because I'm an American.

Sorry, i didnt mean it like that. I meant the more strict christian audience who would be offended by it. Shouldnt have generalised like that.

H. S. 6
It looks like it'll be a decent fantasy.

I'm a tad wary, though, because I didn't enjoy the book entirely.

Lana
Originally posted by Lightningrod
saw the trailer during potc 3
looks awesome

They played the trailer when you saw POTC3? This was the one movie I was really HOPING to see a trailer for when I went to see it and they didn't show it. Lame.

Anyway, I can't wait for this movie, though as with all book adaptations I am slightly wary about it - I adore the His Dark Materials trilogy and only hope they stay as close to the books as possible.

Crimson Phoenix
I heard they were gonna dowplay the ani-religious stuff for the 1st movie. I guess they can get away with it for now, but they'll have serious troubles adapting the 3rd book where they basically....

HUGE SPOILER

Kill the authority, who proclaims to be God

Lana
You know that there's spoiler tags on here, right? ermm

And I don't think they really CAN downplay that much. Though the anti-religious stuff wasn't quite as present in the first book as it was in the second and third, anyway.

Plus I don't see why they should. If people don't like it, deal. I don't see why the whiny minority should be pandered to.

Crimson Phoenix
Just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NOOXHLpdww&eurl=

the prodoction footage of the movie. I hope this movie lives up to the book

guy222

Yes...Its good

ragesRemorse

how are these stories anti-religious?

Crimson Phoenix
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
how are these stories anti-religious?

Have you read the books? The whole theme of this trilogy is how organised religion can be corrupt and be used to opress a society for their own needs. The anit-religios tones arent really as aparent in the 1st book, but it reaks of anti-religiousness in the 3rd book. Thats i why i said, that if they downplay the religious aspects, they basically cant make the 3rd movie.

exanda kane
Why, oh why, is the first installment called the Golden Compass?

Crimson Phoenix
Originally posted by exanda kane
Why, oh why, is the first installment called the Golden Compass?

Its the american name for the northen lights. I've also noticed they've taken out the "his dark materials" bit out of the name. Its like taking the "lord of the rings" name out of, well, lord of the rings. omiffed

MildPossession
I've yet to read any of the books, but the film does look rather excellent and a nice cast too. To the people who have read the books, are you happy with the casting?

exanda kane
Its the american name for the northen lights. I've also noticed they've taken out the "his dark materials" bit out of the name. Its like taking the "lord of the rings" name out of, well, lord of the rings. omiffed

I guess I should have known, but what is it with childrens literature adaptations having their names changed? especially for much weaker substitutes.

The Philosopher's Stone > The Sorcerer's Stone

The Northern Lights > The Golden Compass (what does this mean for the title The Amber Spyglass?)

Crimson Phoenix
Originally posted by exanda kane
I guess I should have known, but what is it with childrens literature adaptations having their names changed? especially for much weaker substitutes.

The Philosopher's Stone > The Sorcerer's Stone

The Northern Lights > The Golden Compass (what does this mean for the title The Amber Spyglass?)

I think it'll only happen for this one. The book's title changed when it went to america. Aperently, the original title for the trilogy was the Golden Compasses, and thats how he sent it to the publishers at the states, but then he changed it to his dark materials later. But the publishers from america thought the golden compass was the title of the first book, so it stuck.

Darth Vicious
Cool, first time Ive hear of this series. It looks pretty good. I hope it doesnt get overshadowed by the star power in it.

InnerRise
Wish I had knew about the books and read them before now.

Hopefully I can hurry and find this and read it before the movie comes out.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

ragesRemorse
Have you read the books? The whole theme of this trilogy is how organised religion can be corrupt and be used to opress a society for their own needs. The anit-religios tones arent really as aparent in the 1st book, but it reaks of anti-religiousness in the 3rd book. Thats i why i said, that if they downplay the religious aspects, they basically cant make the 3rd movie.

Yeah, but i gathered the over all message was There is a greater power, which in effect the story promotes spirituality, so...

SnakeEyes
I think this movie looks kind of terrible.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by InnerRise
Wish I had knew about the books and read them before now.

Hopefully I can hurry and find this and read it before the movie comes out.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Same here. I tried to do that when LOTR came out but sadly when reading books my attention span is of a squirrel!

Lana
I think it'll only happen for this one. The book's title changed when it went to america. Aperently, the original title for the trilogy was the Golden Compasses, and thats how he sent it to the publishers at the states, but then he changed it to his dark materials later. But the publishers from america thought the golden compass was the title of the first book, so it stuck.

The Golden Compass also, as a title, fits better thematically with the titles of the remaining two books (The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass), and also with the overall title of the trilogy (the three items named being the 'dark materials' that could save or destroy the world).

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Yeah, but i gathered the over all message was There is a greater power, which in effect the story promotes spirituality, so...

The overall message is, more or less, that there is a greater power but it should not be there because it is evil and corrupt, and that there should be no greater power than free will.

exanda kane
Pullman's a nutter to be honest, think's he's William Blake and reckons that that's a good thing. The trilogy itself read like a breeze, but enjoyable for what it was, specifically Azriel's character and the armoured bears.

Armoured bears are fun.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.