About the green Flash for Willo*spoliers*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tramps Lady
Willo, i looked on imdb and i noticed something,

your right, will is rid of his curse, as we see at the end of the credits because of the green flash...on the FAQ:

After 10 years, wouldn't will be able to stay on land and leave Davy Jones' job, considering his love was real?
If you actually pay attention to the movie when they explain the whole green flash thing. You will realize it only happens when a soul returns from the locker. The other times when we see the Dutchman return THERE IS NO GREEN FLASH. The last scene shows a green flash as Will comes back, meaning that his soul has returned to the land of the living and he's free of his debt too the Dutchman.

so, ur right willowink

ADarksideJedi
I am very confuse what?jm

willofthewisp
oh, I actually wasn't right. I thought the people that thought that were wrong. But thanks for clearing that up!

Tramps Lady
lol. np.....thought id make it clear...well...not me...whoever wrote the dang thing lol

ESB -1138
No...I think it's to indicate that Will is allowed back on land that one day. Because when he left Elizabeth and sailed off didn't a green flash appear as the Dutchman headed out?

willofthewisp
I thought it was that a soul returned to regular Earth. So maybe it doesn't mean Will is freed.

Tramps Lady
Originally posted by ESB -1138
No...I think it's to indicate that Will is allowed back on land that one day. Because when he left Elizabeth and sailed off didn't a green flash appear as the Dutchman headed out?

it did, but that was because many people died and went to the land on the dead, and the FD had a new captain...is my guess lol

ESB -1138
I think it indicated 2 things for Will (1)Will's one day was up and (2) Will's day to be on shore has arrived. As said many times the Dutchman must have a captain.

Tramps Lady
yes...but until the captain finds a true love who will be faithful and who loves the captain

JaehSkywalker
and with the true love he'll be free in ten years.. right?

Shadow0fabandit
Originally posted by JaehSkywalker
and with the true love he'll be free in ten years.. right?

Yes, but that wasn't in the movie because it was cut out. It will probably be in Pirates 4.

JaehSkywalker
i figured that out too stick out tongue

ahh.. there's an idea... *sigh* Pirates four... *daydreams*

calypso
I disagree, it was in the movie and he did come back to his true love who was waiting on shore with a small male child to greet him. So he is free of the Dutchman.

But who is the captain now?

Calypso put Davy Jones on the FD originally to ferry the souls across. He corrupted his job by killing instead of helping the souls to the afterlife. DJ was not free to step on land for 10 years and when he did the first time, Calypso was not there. When she was in the brig, he asked her why she was not there and she said "That's how I am, and you love me anyway." Then DJ said he didn't and did a supernatural transference thingy and left saying he would always love her. When DJ fell of the mast when fighting with Captain Jack Sparrow and was swollowed up by the maelstrom that Calypso created, he went to be with her because she had returned to being the sea goddess i.e. she was no longer trapped in human form or to put it as Barbossa said, "bound in her bones" by the Brethren.

No green flash appeared when the FD left Lizzy on the beach, the sun just set on the horizon. The green flash occurred when Will returned after 10 years. You can see it reflected off of Lizzy and the boy.

Bootstrap told Will he had one day on land before he had to become Captain of the flying crocodile machine. That is the last scene with Lizzy and Will on the beach when he hands her the chest with his heart inside to guard til he returns.

Surreal_44
No, there is a green flash when the Dutchman disappears on the beach. I think that the green flash is a sign of souls passing from one realm to the next.

There's a couple of ways to interperate this. I of course, like to pretend the green flash is for Norrington. big grin That's just a fantasy of course...

Likely the entire explanation of the green flash was cut in editing. Darn the editors. *sigh* Either way, Terry has stated specifically that it is intended to be known that Will is free after the ten year period.

As for who captains the Dutchman next...*shrug* It's not known at this point who it would be. Perhaps Bootstrap. Maybe James, maybe someone Will doesn't meet until he begins rescuing souls and ferrying them. It doesn't matter; what is important is that Will is not captain. big grin

JaehSkywalker
Question:

what would've happened if Jack just threw Davey's heart into the sea like he's giving it back to calypso, instead of someone stabbing it? oh, and throw in that it happened before will was stabbed...

Surreal_44
We'd have a less dramatic end to the movie, probably. laughing

JaehSkywalker
yeah, that.. stick out tongue but that's a very big what if idea my bro gave to me yesterday after the movie..

calypso
I would hope that Norrington takes Will's place as the Captain of the FD.

But who would be waiting for him in 10 more years? So sad. *scurries of to cry* Maybe we can get them to let Sailor hold his heart for 10 years.

JaehSkywalker
hmm... interesting.. but who? who... who...

sailorleo
ooo oo!!!!!! could one of the green flashes be for james?

sailorleo
Originally posted by calypso
I would hope that Norrington takes Will's place as the Captain of the FD.

But who would be waiting for him in 10 more years? So sad. *scurries of to cry* Maybe we can get them to let Sailor hold his heart for 10 years.

oh hells yes! i'd totally do, actually it sounds like a plan!!!!!!

JaehSkywalker
go and hold it for him... i'm sure he'll appreciate it.. happy

Ditte3
Originally posted by ESB -1138
No...I think it's to indicate that Will is allowed back on land that one day. Because when he left Elizabeth and sailed off didn't a green flash appear as the Dutchman headed out? You're right,and I don't think he can leave his duty after ten years,because his duty is not a curse.Davy was cursed because he became bitter,evil and didn' do his 'job',but collected souls for himself.That's why he became a fihsface and all the crew as well.Even if Calypso was unfaithful,he should have done his work.Remember after Will being captain everything turned out to be normal,the ship and the whole crew.Bootstrap said Will payed a big price for his duty.He can step on land and be man one day every ten years.
There's not a word in the movie that he should leave his duty,and not a word that it would be a curse.If you remember what Tia,Jack and Bootstrap said.I'm not really happy that this way Elizabeth can't have a normal life.I think Will wanted to let her go free,maybe that's why he didn't kiss her when he wanted to leave.Of course Elizabeth kissed him,like reassuring him from her love,but I think He should have said to her that he lets her go,this way letting her to be free,and decide about her life freely.It would have been a beautiful unselfih act.

Surreal_44
There's a lot of subtex in the film about the curse. You can choose to interperate it as Will's curse not being broken if you like, but the writers have said that Will is free from the Dutchman.

ivebeendepped43
this is all so complicated!!

Surreal_44
Go see the movie again!

big grin

I'm going for the fourth time this week. I'll be so poor come Tuesday. *sigh*

Ditte3
Maybe I should watch it again.I don't remember anybody in the movie saying that Will's duty is for ten years and then it's over

Surreal_44
It's not stated specifically. It's hinted at. There's a difference. big grin The one line that would have explained it all ended up on the cutting room floor, but according to TnT, what the movie is implying is that the curse is lifted for Will. big grin

willofthewisp
Why would they cut one line? One line seems like so little trouble.

Tramps Lady
Originally posted by Ditte3
Maybe I should watch it again.I don't remember anybody in the movie saying that Will's duty is for ten years and then it's over

its over becuase for 10 years hes at sea, if after 10 years, his true love is waiting for him, hes free

Ericadawn
There is actually a line in the film still...Davy and Calypso are talking and we find out that Calypso wasn't waiting for him which is why Davy was bound by his duty forever. He asks her why she wasn't there and she responds that it's her nature and "Would you love me if I was anything but what I am?"

It's because of her not being there that pissed him off and made Davy tell the Brethren how to trap her.

calypso
Actually she said "That's who I am, and would you love me if I was any other way." Then he said he didn't love her anymore.

Ericadawn
Well, I took the quote from "Bring me that Horizon: The Making of Pirates of the Caribbean".

I had assumed they'd be correct.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.