End of DMC- What do you think? *spoilers*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

starfish
As I sit here attempting to rationalize exactly why there was absolutely no relationship building between Jack and Elizabeth in this third movie, I am looking back on the end of Dead Man's Chest. If we think of these last two movies and one long film, then maybe we have to look closely at the choice Elizabeth made in leaving Jack Sparrow for dead on the Black Pearl, no TRAPPING him for death, when the Kracken was coming for them. All through DMC there is tension and banter between Jack and Liz, yes, and that darn compass- the compass keeps pointing Jack to Liz and Liz to Jack. But has anyone thought that the end of DMC signified the end of Jack and Liz?

I am beginning to wonder if maybe that was the point where Liz made her choice. She had feelings for both men, albeit different feelings. For Will she feels romantic love- "I want to marry you and be the mother of your children" love, and for Jack she feels... longing, lust even? Jack epitomizes her darkest desires. I think she cares for Jack, but not in the warm loving manner she does for Will. When she chooses to sacrifice Jack at the end of DMC- she does so not only to save herself, but also Will. She also chose to sacrifice any feelings she had for Jack, and we can all agree she did it in a ruthless, heartless manner. She basically seduces him to death. How can we expect Jack to end up in Davy Jones' Locker, dead- for an eternity mind you- and then to simply forgive her and continue to love her like he did before?

The more I think about it- the more I feel that when Liz made the choice to shackle Jack to the ship, leaving him to the Kracken, she made the choice to sever that "relationship." Maybe that was the death of Liz and Jack (my heart will break even harder the next time I watch DMC now.) Liz had NO idea there would be a chance to save Jack. She left him for dead! I do feel she regretted her decision after she made it, but she DID choose Will over Jack- she chose to help save Will's life (as well as the others, I know) by luring the Kracken away towards Jack.

Does this make sense to any of you?

If you really think about it- Liz is lucky Jack forgave her like he did. He even scooped her up and swept her away after to safety at the end of AWE. What a guy, continuing to look out for her no matter what. Yes, I know it is obvious they have lingering feelings for each other just by the tiny little snippets- the little scrappy bones they threw our way in this last film, but overall- I think the possibility of a love relationship died when she killed him. And she did- he even said, "Four of you tried to kill me. One of you succeeded."

Hmph~ and really- in the end she does kind of get her payback. I'm such an emotional sucker... but her father dies. The first man to love her dies, and her husband is taken from her- only to be with her for one day and then gone for ten years. *sigh* I don't know about the rest of you- but these movies are *supposed* to be "fun" and this one has, for now, made me kinda sad.

I'd love to know what you think. I've posted already that while I absolutely LOVED this last movie, my heart is broken and I am trying to put it back together again! I have to make some sense of it all or else I'm going to go batty- Savvy? wink

jdl1224
**SPOLIERS**

Well I think you're absolutley right, and I had never thought of it that way.

I think most people misunderstood that last kiss by thinking "oh she loves him oh so much" but hello- why would she leave him to die- without knowing he could be saved? I totally agree that it wasn't the beginning of anything, it was the end. I almost feel like an idiot. haha. But it's exactly as you said, she has/had a lust for the amazing Captain Jack Sparrow... but a true deep love for Will since they were, what, 10?

I much I do love Sparrabeth, this completley makes sense to me. I think they've grown to have a more loving friendship- that's all, and I'm suprisingly okay with that. I told all my friends "I hope Will dies in the third one!!" And when he did, I was heartbroken!! :

But yeah. I think you are absolutley correct. :]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.