video games # 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire349
well since the first one was closed, i figured id make a new one. i just got a new video card for my pc, the ati radeon 9000, with 128 mb ddr ram. its really good, runs unreal tournement 2003 perfectly.

Ushgarak
Lovely...

Captain REX
I only saw one offtopic post at the end...

Any, my comp needs a new card. It can play games like Jedi Knight, but it freezes when I try Indy Jones or Jedi Outcast.

ToMacco
I have to buy one of the better systems. I'm so sick of my Playstation.

I see all these comercials for these cool looking games for the new systems.

Screw it, maybe I'll just go play some old school Nintendo.

Tex
Computer games are the best.
Sure the graphics may not be top notch, but the controls and features are always far superior than console games.

jayride
idunno..i'm a pc gamer, but playing games like Grand Theft Auto 3 and Need for Speed just seem better on the Playstation. The driving ability is just always smoother and easier to maneuver. I run almost every game at full settings on PC.

The ability to create and edit practically everything on the PC is VERY NICE, and having all those extra programmable buttons at hand is more than you could ask for.

I say forget the console for everything but racing games.

mah
console games are superior in control to EVERYTHING but strategy and FPS.

Tex
Also way too easy to beat.
Nintendo hasn't made one hard game yet!
All easy kid games.
That's why I dont buy any.
Beat them in 2 weeks, and your stuck with a $50 CD.

Ushgarak
The PC makes better Grand Prix games, when it comes to racing.

Console games, of course, are made tailored to the control pads designed for them, which always means the games gel perfectly with the controller except when they CAN'T, in which area strategy games and FPSs are two good examples.

mah
yah, sure! you didnt beat mario that quick did you? you didnt beat the last zeldas that quick did you? its impossible to beat animal crossing.

Tex
That's cause I am a busy man.
I just have to rent Mario for an additional week and it's beat.
I'm telling ya, if Zelda doesn't tingle my nuts, I'm gonna throw my Gamecube out the window!!!
*frustrated*

mah
foolish you! the autumn is JAM-PACKED with tens of AAA-titles and you complain!

Tex
And Nintendo delays all of their games!mad

Ushgarak
About time, after the GC's crappy launch line-up...

mah
haha..childish ush! pikmin, wave race and super smash bros melee satisfied me

Tex
Nah, Ush is right. Thank God Rogue Leader was out.
Too bad I had to wait from November to May to get another good game: RE.

Ushgarak
That was for the European launch, Mah, not the actual launch. The actual launch line up was very poor.

BackFire349
as was teh xbox's and ps2's and n64's. very few systems have good launch lineups. most systems have 1 good game. but come out with a bunch of good ones later on during their span, which is what gamecube is doing. xbox looks like the next decent game will be halo 2.

Ushgarak
GCs launch line up was generally considered the worst ever. N64 having Mario pretty much made up for it on the spot. PS2 had an enormous back catalgoue built in.

mah
you're full of it! I've not seen ANY place where GC's launch line up has been considered the worst! PS2 on the other hand was cataztrophically bad, many thought it would be a failure until suddenly the games came flowing shortly after.

Ushgarak
I am NOT full of it and I don't know how myopic you have been but the industry talked and talked AND TALKED about the GC's original launch line up being crap!

mah
WHAT? give me some links, quotes, anything. even though its clear that you're talking about the japanese launch, which was followed by many good games shortly, I cannot remember it being generally seen on as the worst launch ever.

Ushgarak
Yes, I was talking about the Japanese launch. The one with only THRE games? And of course good ones came soon after. It was still a crappy launch!

mah
links, quotes, sources

Ushgarak
You want me to prove it was only three games? Do me a favour; you know it full well.

mah
no! I want you to prove that "GCs launch line up was generally considered the worst ever"

Ushgarak
That, again, should take no time at all. Three games, none of which are classics. All other systems have always come out with enough games to make it worthwhile or one major classic.

Actually, the Jaguar was worse but we are only talking about the three major systems here.

mah
yeah, I know what you think. I want proof that it was 'generally considered'

Ushgarak
Well, you're not going to get it. I just know it from every trade publication I read in September last year, and I am hardly going to send them to you.

Fire
well I think everyone knows my opinion about anything from nintendo
only good game they have is mariokart and mariokart64

mah
haha

Fire
well sorry mah, but it's my honnest opinion

mah
have you ever played Zelda: ocarina of time? Perfect Dark? goldeneye? mario 64?

BackFire349
the simple fact is nintendo makes the best games in the industry, and if it werent for the first part games nintendo systems would die

Captain REX
Now, if only I had some MONEY to buy any damn GAMES for any god damn SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!! mad mad mad

As you can tell, my parents haven't given me my allowance for 6-7 months.

GCN is my fav system out right now. PS2 is an entertainment system I don't need, and my friends say XBOX is a bore.

BackFire349
xbox is a bore. all the games are just watered down pc games.

ToMacco
I just got Silent Hill for the playstation.

Damn, what a creepy game!!!!! I'm hooked on it!

Tex
Is that Playstation 1?
Cause there's this kid down the street who comes over and uses my computer to burn PS1 games.
It's really easy.

ToMacco
Yeah, it's for Playstation 1.

You should play it, Tex. It's pretty sweet. It takes a while to get used to the control of the character, but once you do, it's real fun.

Tex
Dont have a playstation.
Not going to that freaks house either.

ToMacco
Okay, then forget it.

Tex
Like everything else you say

ToMacco
You can buy a playstation for like $30 at Funcoland, or some place like that.

Tex
Yup
But why?
It's only 32 bit.
My GCube is 128bitcool

ToMacco
You gonna buy Zelda when it comes out?

I'll probably buy the GameCube just to have that game.

Tex
OfCoursesmokin'

ToMacco
What other games does GameCube have to offer?

Tex
Resident Evil
Mario Sunshine
Bunch of Sports Games
You should ask Mah

ToMacco
Do they have NHL?

Captain REX
I think they have one or two...maybe.

ToMacco
I'm used to the playstation controller when it comes to NHL.

Captain REX
Yeah, whatever...

I'm not a big fan of sports games, though I might buy this one soccer game maybe.

ToMacco
Buy NHL Rexster.

Captain REX
I'll think about it.

Not sure if they have one for GCN yet.

ToMacco
I thought I saw one at Best Buy. . . but maybe not.

Captain REX
I haven't seen one yet.

BackFire349
they do, it just came out.

Fire
I wanna buy NFL and well I might consider buying FIFA 2002-3

Lara
what about the new tomb raider game on PS2 coming out in england early next year?

mah
To- they have NHL..plus that NHL Hitz or whatever..the one with freaky rules.

yerssot
they better make a Road To The World Cup 2006 ! That game ruled!
quali and WC all in one!
Go Sri Lanka! smile

mah
oh boy, FIFA games sick I'd take Pro Evolution Soccer or ISS anytime over that

yerssot
I challange thou to a duel

mah
in choosing football games, or in playing FIFA?

BackFire349
ISS was great for teh n64.

yerssot
playing of course!

Lara
lads and football! typical, just ignore the only woman in this thread why dont you! why dont you post a sign over the top of the thread title and have it say " Blokes ONLY, restricted area, all women will be excluded from conversation if they try to change the topic from FOOTBALL!"

mah
fire and yerss started it! *points*

yerssot
*scrolls back up*
hey! mah! actually YOU started

btw, from what I hear FIFA will have a dutch spoken commantator next game. Well, the Belgian version that is. Namely Bart Raes, gives a new edge, imo

mah
no, fire mentioned FIFA first in page 4.
and enough talk about that, lets hear about some game with quality!

Lara
*humpf, crosses arms and sulks*

yerssot
okay... Freedom Force big grin

hehehe, Fire, finally finished it, LAME end. Btw, you can recruit your costum-build characters time after time!

anyone played it?

Lara
...*still sulking!*

yerssot
sorry, posted right after you, didn't saw it.

Soooooo... what about Tomb Raider huh?

Lara
well,like I said befor it's due out over here in the early part of next year. its for the PS2 and PC.
its supposed to introduce a new inventry, new weapons,new and improved lara and new stealth modes.
the game starts in Paris, Lara gets framed for a brutal muder.
the game is supposed to give the player more of an input into choice making, so its more of a RPG than and adventure game.
the game takes you into a darker side of laras nature, hense the title angel of darkness. but its supposed to put a spin on the exsisting tomb raider series. at the moment thats all I can be bothered to type!

yerssot
new and improved lara? *thinks* big grin

she got killed, and they still make games wink

Lara
No she didnt die, she just went missing in a load of rubble from the last tomb in TR:TLR(TR:4)

yerssot
oh! k... I'm not up-to-date with her games

BackFire349
tomb raider games suck

Fire
I agree

Tex
It was alright.

Captain REX
Last one I played was a bore. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The movie was good. smile

yerssot
never saw the movie, played #3 I think.
Hated it first, got better after a second try

BackFire349
oh my, my movies are a piece of garbage.

Lara
true the chronicles were crap!

finti
havent bought a game in ages, thought of buying Mafia though

yerssot
it was a nice game, nothing special

mah
mafia is supposedly very good

Ushgarak
Mafia is actually rather retro, being more a collection of subgames than much else, much like old fashioned movie tie-ins in the eight-bit days (before Robocop...)

And it's meant to be ok but not exceptional, and certainly not the GTA beater it wanted to be.

mah
I don't know about you ush, but I think these scores are more than 'ok'.

Gamespy: 91 out of 100
IGN.com: 9,2 out of 10
Games Domain: 4,5 out of 5
Gamespot: 9,3 out of 10
Game rankings: 80 out of 100
Avault: 4 out of 5
Computer & videogames: 92 out of 100
Game Zone: 9,3 out of 10
Gamer Web: 9,1 out of 10
Game Over Online: 90 out of 100
Media & Games Online: 8,9 out of 10
Inquisitors: 98 out of 100
Game Blitz: 95 out of 100

Ushgarak
Well, all the decent publications for the PC I have read gave it an ok mark.

BackFire349
gta3 copy. i heard it was pretty good, but not as good as gta3.

Ushgarak
Yup...

mah
OBVIOUSLY. gta3 is one of the big games the last years.
but there's no point in denying the critical acclaim Mafia has got.

finti
I saw someone playing on it at Spaceworld and it looked awesome

BackFire349
i just got my pc gamer magazine today, they gave mafia a 91-100, which is very good. gta3 got a 94 i think. but ill have to play it for myself before i say for sure, also they gave battlefield earth a 91, and medievil, total war a 83 or something.

finti
i like games like Medievil total war, I loved age of kings so Medievil TW will be right up my ally, but I need some games to just shoot them up too. And they have to be more or less a little bit "real".
Not the doom and dukem nukem kind, but the likes of Max Payne and maybe Deus Ex

BackFire349
max payne is great fun. doom 3 is going to be nuts though. i cant wait for it.

finti
dont like games with stupid creatures and balls and crap so Doom is not for me. Max Payne is more "natural" if you get my point.

BackFire349
yeah, but doom will be a hell of a fun mindless shooting game. and have you seen the graphics? my god they are truley amazing. im one of those people who usually say graphics dont matter, but that game will be fun to play just for the graphics.

finti
splatter thingie

BackFire349
probably, but everything looks amazingly crisp and detailed, and the creatures design looks outstanding too. finti, have you played medal of honor allied assault or ghost recon? those are both good shooting games.

finti
indeed they are, try battlefield 1942 it is outstanding

BackFire349
i want to. that will probably be the next game i pick up, or no one lives forever 2

finti
operation desert storm is cool too

mah
boring to just play nothing but shooting games dont you think finti?

BackFire349
he plays others he said, like medievil or whatever.

BackFire349
ive been playing roller coaster tycoon 2, its so addictive. also been playing counterstrike again lately. both addictive. although cs isnt as good as it used to be.

finti
Mafia kicks gta3 ass!!!!! it is so awesome, man Al Capone was a wuss.
The new don is gonna be Fintioso

BackFire349
vice city just came out, thats supposed to be like 4 times bigger then gta 3. yeah i heard mafia was good too.

finti
I gonna be a Norse mafia wasting those wops big grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

BackFire349
haha. i also heard no one lives forever 2 is good, i wanna get that, but i made a promise to myself i wouldnt buy anymore games untill after xmas, since i can get them for free.

finti
for free?????????????

mah
I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime

Thane Zereil
I'm just playing Hitman 2 at the mo, well that and Rayman 2 for no real particular reason...

mah
hitman 2 is good

Thane Zereil
I'm not enjoying it as much as I did Max Payne...

BackFire349
yeah for free, if i get them for xmas i dont gotta pay for them.

BackFire349
max payne is great, hitman too looks like more of the same.

mah
yup, but still enjoyable.

BackFire349
perhaps. but why have play hitman when you can play maxpayne, which im willing to bet is the better game.

Thane Zereil
Because I got Max Payne first and besides which I get all my games for free as review copies for the radio station I work for...

mah
you lucky you!

finti
Max Payne was very cool

BackFire349
i just got a new game yesterday. no one lives forever 2. its outstanding. its alot like goldeneye for the N64 but obviously better graphics and what not. the real star of the game is the A.I. they're so smart its scary. if you go into a room and turn off teh lights. and an enemy comes in. they'll turn on the lights so they can see better. and if they see a fallen comrad they'll ask him whas wrong. plus instead of just standing their when they fight and mindlessly running after you they take cover and they'll send in flanks and stuff. plus the game has got some great humor in it as well. its not as action packed as some of you might like. but its still fun and everyone should try it.

LanceWindu
This is the game based in the '60's with a female spy, right?

BackFire349
yeah.

LanceWindu
Cool, it looks fun, but I haven't had a chance to play number one yet.

BackFire349
i never played number one either. but this one kicks ass. although its got heavy system requirements, even my computer doesnt run it all that smoothly.

LanceWindu
Oh I thought you had it on PS2.

BackFire349
no, pc. i dont buy shooters for ps2. i like the pc controls better.

Ushgarak
Of course...

BackFire349
yeah, the pc pretty much has the edge on console on almost all types of games, with the exception of rpg and adventure games like mario sunshine.

mah
and fighting games. and racing games. and sports games.

BackFire349
ah yes, fighting games too, forgot about those. racing games and sports games really are the same for all platforms so they dont count.

mah
the Madden series is mediocre at best on PC.

LanceWindu
Sports games for the PC suck.

Racing games I like better for PC, cause then you could have everything possible.

Fighting games are better for consoles.

RPG are better for PC (depends on the game though.)

Ushgarak
The consoles have the edge with literal computer RPGs, a term stolen by Final Fantasy type games which aren't really role-playing at all (not to dispute their quality). But for actual ones, the PC has it with games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

Console has best arcade race games, PC best simulators.

You can count decent PC platform games on the fingers of one head but a console cannot do a decent flight sim to save its life.

It's a pretty good balance.

BackFire349
i dont care for rpgs on the pc as they concentrate more on leveling up, hunting monsters, and collecting items, rather then a quality storyline which is what the console rpg's seem to conentrate on.

mah
one word; Grand Turismo 3...two words.

Ushgarak
NOT a simulation! An arcade game!

And Backfire, methinks you are wrong... BG2 has a far more complex, engaging and non-linear storyline than any console game.

BackFire349
i think he meant simulations more along the lines of F1 and what not.

BackFire349
i actually havent played that one. that may be the exception though. but in the ones ive played, storylines usually take a back seat to leveling up and hunting for items. i have actually been meaning to get baldurs gate 2, ive heard great things about it. however. i dont think any game will ever top final fantasy 3(6) as far as story line and character development goes.

Ushgarak
BG2 has the most amazing line in conditonal character development with several thousand outcomes depending on what or who youyr character is and what or who the five people you are travelling are (what sex is important...) and where you go at various times. It beggars belief how much they put into that game!

Neverwinter Nights is less good on that... but that is because it is more of a multi-player tool than a game; the provided campaign is nice but the design and Gamesmastering elements of it are its speciality.

I agree, a lot of PC RPGs are shallow but that is because they are just unsuccessful attempts to ape console ones. Bioware did something very different with Baldur's Gate.

BackFire349
yeah, im having trouble getting into neverwinter nights. and when i mean character development, i didnt mean leveling them up or any of that, i meant the way movies develop a character, where you begin to care for them and see them as real people with real feeling rather then just characters in a game. thats something i think most pc rpg's lack.

Ushgarak
Yeah, it is because Neverwinter Nights is not written with character development in mind. It also always assumes that you are not the only hero there; the campaign is written with many parties possibly playing at once in mind. So you cannot have the player driven storylines that BG had which is a shame, but then again it is vey impressive in other ways.

So, let's see how Knights of the Old Republic turns out...

mah
what about dancing games? farming sims? big grin

Ushgarak
Not enough mad Japs making PC games, for sure...

BackFire349
yeah, baldurs gate was cool from what i played, i borrowed my friends copy. it was fun. and its cheap now, i think ill purchase it sometime. or maybe get it for xmas smile

mah
okay; Metroid Prime. first some days back it got 9,8 on ign.com which is, together with GrandTurismo3, the HIGHEST score on ANY next-gen console EVER.
now today, what I consider an even greater happening: 9,7 on the under-rating hyper-strict gamespot.com! and EGM(electronic gaming monthly, biggest multiplatform magazine out there) editor Marc McDonald gives it 10.

without exaggerating, this points to Metroid Prime being one of the best single-player games ever. the reviews it has got is really THAT out-of-this-world gobsmacking.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>