The Canonicity Of DC's Elseworlds

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nikkolas
First and foremost, on the matter of Hypertime that was introduced in The Kingdom...

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=004039

QUESTION: How does Hypertime factor in to the DCU now?

ANSWER: Hypertime is gone from the DCU.

Second, as of the last issue of DC's 52, there are only 52 universes in DC's main multiverse. This includes the main DC reality, the Wildstorm universe, Tangent-verse, Earth-2 JSA and I believe the Freedom Fighters.

So, counting, that makes up 5 universes of a total of 52. If you want to say all Elseworlds are canon, separate universes, this means you are flatly contradicting what DC has stated. Just in Batman and Superman Elseworlds alone, there are 59 in total. This would mean 59 separate realities.

So, if I'm wrong somehwere, I'd like to hear your insights.

Nikkolas
So, no replies?

Am I right or wrong and why?

NoFate007
DC doesn't know what its doing with its multiverse.

Black Adam
Originally posted by NoFate007

indeed.

Juntai
Originally posted by Nikkolas
First and foremost, on the matter of Hypertime that was introduced in The Kingdom...

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=004039

Second, as of the last issue of DC's 52, there are only 52 universes in DC's main multiverse. This includes the main DC reality, the Wildstorm universe, Tangent-verse, Earth-2 JSA and I believe the Freedom Fighters.

So, counting, that makes up 5 universes of a total of 52. If you want to say all Elseworlds are canon, separate universes, this means you are flatly contradicting what DC has stated. Just in Batman and Superman Elseworlds alone, there are 59 in total. This would mean 59 separate realities.

So, if I'm wrong somehwere, I'd like to hear your insights. In 52, when Waverider shows up, he is refered to as the "Master of Hypertime".
This event takes place after that article.
On panel > Q&A.

I watch Pokemon
The mainstream DC Multiverse consists of 52 Universes.

There are still other Universes that exist outside of the mainstream Multiverse.

The DCAU is just one example. The Elseworlds Universe would be another.

Rainbow Kiss
Originally posted by Nikkolas

So, if I'm wrong somehwere, I'd like to hear your insights.

Hypertime still exists, but Dan Dido has put restrictions on using it, any more.

WrathfulDwarf
I think it was during the ending of 52 when we see a universe much like Kingdom Come. As of today KC is a Elseworld. This would hint that certain elseworlds are indeed universes of their own within the DCU multiverse.

Case in point. Dark Knight Elseworld in which Batman is choosen by Abir Sur to become Green Lantern. This change of events later cause Superman, WW, and Flash to become GL's. So there is a universe in which there only GL lanterns protecting. During IC you can almost see this image of that particular universe.

I don't think Hypertime is permanently gone. It's bound to appear again.

Galan007
I could have sworn I saw Waverider referred to as the 'Lord of Hypertime' or somesuch, in a recent comic...

I'm not sure which one though.

Nevermind.

I just saw that another user pretty much said the same thing. embarrasment

Juntai
Originally posted by Galan007
I could have sworn I saw Waverider referred to as the 'Lord of Hypertime' or somesuch, in a recent comic...

I'm not sure which one though.

Nevermind.

I just saw that another user pretty much said the same thing. embarrasment Beat ya to it.
big grin

Galan007
Originally posted by Juntai
Beat ya to it.
big grin Damn you!!! mad

stick out tongue

Nikkolas
Thanks for the info guys.

Galan007
It seems as though Hypertime's canonicity would make pre-crisis material canon in some way/shape/form..

Here's a scan from a comic, :

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8738/ht1ex1.th.jpg

======

Now the scans from when we first saw Hypertime, back in '99:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3956/htsv7.th.jpg http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8389/ht2xo3.th.jpg

Take a good look at the bottom right hand corner of the second scan, ...

srug

King_Mungi
Well the Lightening Saga, makes Pre-crisis Legion stories canon as well

roughrider
Originally posted by NoFate007

This only occured to me recently. How can the Elseworlds stories prior to Alexander Luthor's experiments in Infinite Crisis, be considered to have happened on other alternate Earths, when such Earths DIDN'T exist until then? So Kingdom Come Superman resides on this Earth, Red Son Superman on this one, and so on - but they came around when the multiverse was not in existence.
I think it's a problem.

Galan007
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Well the Lightening Saga, makes Pre-crisis Legion stories canon as well True...

I just thought it was interesting when I not only stumbled upon the actual comic/page, from which one of the 'fragments' of Hypertime we saw in "The Kingdom", came from -- but that comic just happened to be pre-crisis in nature.

ermmgrin.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Galan007
True...

I just thought it was interesting when I not only stumbled upon the actual comic/page, from which one of the 'fragments' of Hypertime we saw in "The Kingdom", came from -- but that comic just happened to be pre-crisis in nature.

ermmgrin.

You didn't think it was interesting that you knew the image appeared in the picture of Hypertime . . . way down in the corner . . . partially cut off . . .

Galan007
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
You didn't think it was interesting that you knew the image appeared in the picture of Hypertime . . . way down in the corner . . . partially cut off . . . Interesting? I doubt it.

Nerdy as hell? Absolutely. geek

Juntai
Case in point: Quit out-nerding us.

Galan007
Case in point: Quit out-nerding us. laughing out loud

tjcoady
How do the seemingly infinite worlds connected to the Bleed and the Wildstorm universe (as described in Planetary, the Authority, bunch of others- "Each rotation describes an entirely new universe. The number of rotations is equal to the number of atoms making up the earth" -Hark, from Planetary) fit into the rest of the DC multiverse? Are they just kind of being written out? Especially of the bleed does intersect with the main DCU. It's been mentioned a ton recently- Monarch hid out there, the Reach in Blue Beetle cloak their ships by going into the bleed...

starlock
I could be wrong...but the bleed is accessed thru the source wall or behind it, so all 52 universes are seperated by their own source wall, and beyond the source wall is where the bleed is

I think thats how they explained it in countdown, somthing about the source wall breaking and the bleed coming thru...would be bad

Galan007
Originally posted by tjcoady
How do the seemingly infinite worlds connected to the Bleed and the Wildstorm universe (as described in Planetary, the Authority, bunch of others- "Each rotation describes an entirely new universe. The number of rotations is equal to the number of atoms making up the earth" -Hark, from Planetary) fit into the rest of the DC multiverse? Are they just kind of being written out? Especially of the bleed does intersect with the main DCU. It's been mentioned a ton recently- Monarch hid out there, the Reach in Blue Beetle cloak their ships by going into the bleed... The Bleed is still out there,
With WS being connected to the mainstream DCU now -- it's become part of the greater 'verse.

Juntai
How do the seemingly infinite worlds connected to the Bleed and the Wildstorm universe (as described in Planetary, the Authority, bunch of others- "Each rotation describes an entirely new universe. The number of rotations is equal to the number of atoms making up the earth" -Hark, from Planetary) fit into the rest of the DC multiverse? Are they just kind of being written out? Especially of the bleed does intersect with the main DCU. It's been mentioned a ton recently- Monarch hid out there, the Reach in Blue Beetle cloak their ships by going into the bleed... Yesss! Another Blue Beetle reader.

tjcoady
Yesss! Another Blue Beetle reader.

Blue Beetle= best comic book DC is putting out. HANDS DOWN.

Then again, I say that about a lot of things I really like, but Blue Beetle is consistently really really good.

Wait, so about the Bleed thing- do the other Wildstorm universes in the greater multiverse still exist? Do some of the 52 universes therefore... have their own multiverses? Does that make sense?

tjcoady
Originally posted by starlock
I could be wrong...but the bleed is accessed thru the source wall or behind it, so all 52 universes are seperated by their own source wall, and beyond the source wall is where the bleed is

I think thats how they explained it in countdown, somthing about the source wall breaking and the bleed coming thru...would be bad

Yeah, get that part. But are the hundreds of thousands universes of the Wildstorm multiverse still in existence now that there are only fifty two universes, which Wildstorm connects to?

Endless Mike
There are more than just 52 universes, there are tons of places like the nanoverse, the 5th dimension (both of which were stated to be outside of the multiverse). I think the way it works is that there are 52 universes in the main multiverse, but there is more than one multiverse, and several other dimensions/planes outside of the multiverse

Juntai
Blue Beetle= best comic book DC is putting out. HANDS DOWN.

Then again, I say that about a lot of things I really like, but Blue Beetle is consistently really really good.
I agree about being consistantly really good. I've collected it all since the start. Best book is pushing it a little, though month after month it's been one of best reads since issue 1. GL and JSA are my favorite books tho.

starlock
Yeah, get that part. But are the hundreds of thousands universes of the Wildstorm multiverse still in existence now that there are only fifty two universes, which Wildstorm connects to?

I would say that the hundreds of thousands of universes of the wildstorm multiverse..can be connected to the prime 52 DC universes, so they still exist there is just an explanation of how they can be accessed by both the DC and Woldstorm universes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.