X-Box or GameCube

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CyberVixen
I have X-Box currently.. but, I am thinking of going to GameCube.

Reasons why :

X-Box don't got rights to Resident Evil, nor Tekken.. (2 of my favorites).. seems that GameCube does.

don't get me wrong, I like X-Box, the 733mhz it has in it, the graphics, the dvd feature.. all that. I just wanna know if I switch to GameCube.. will I be lacking much.. (in regard to X-Box).. or.. ?

thanks..

ToMacco
You need a GameCube for when Zelda comes out.

Tex
Got a gamecube, probably gonna get XBOX2 when it comes out late 2004

CyberVixen
what's the word on playstation 3?

Tex
Late 2004 (Japan) US probably a year later.
Gonna play PS/PS2/PS3 games.
Although there really isn't going to be a dramatic change in graphics.
Instead SONY and XBOX are focusing more on making the game systems complete TV entertainment systems.
And both will be able to connect to other systems via broadband, and have digital recording devices, and SONY is planning to allow gamers to actually buy games by downloading them directly onto the system.

Here's a somewhat good article about it:
http://www.psreporter.com/playstation_3_news.html

finti
will not get neither of them got a pc dnt need those things then

mah
I'd say gamecube. the xbox has a few good games(Halo), but not really many to look forward to.
there will never be a xbox2. the xbox is one giant money-sucker for microsoft and they'll quit in the console business when that has done its job

Tex
They are already working on XBOX2.
CNN has the tech show that comes on Sundays, and they said that XBOX2 is further along in developtment than PS3.
They also said that MS is working to make XBOX2 coller, cause XBOX overheats too easily.
They didn't say anything about Nintendo.

mah
just because microsoft is coming up with ideas and such for XBOX2 doesnt mean it will be. Xbox is doing poorly in europe and japan, and rumours are that microsoft has pondered on whether they'll continue making it if things doesnt pick up next year.

nintendo has said themselves that they will keep the gamecube for a good while before making a new system. they believe software is more importan than the continued pressure for hardware with lots of features and yadayada.

Ushgarak
X-Box is NOT doing poorly in Europe!

There'll be a X-Box 2 for sure.

mah
x-box is doing poorly. it isnt selling enough software. microsft looses money on each x-box sold because of the price war.

Ushgarak
EVERYONE loses money on consoles, Microsoft are just losing more than they planned to but that makes no difference to the sucess of the X-Box, which is perfectly adequate and not even close to the point where they would junk the project.

mah
playstation1 and the freaking WonderSwan is selling better in Japan. they havent had a game in the top charts over there for ages. now with no real success in europe and OK in USA, goodbye x-box, soon-to-be ex-box

Ushgarak
Don't be ridiculous. X-Box is outselling Gamecube is the US- it's just a cultural thing. They are succeeding in their plan of establishing a franchise and it WILL thrive. And be certain the sequel will come in a few years.

mah
it is not outselling the gamecube in US, no.

maybe, just because microsoft is so stuffed with money, they'll make a desperate last try on the console-market with x-box2. and rest assured, it WILL include a toaster.

Ushgarak
Last released sales figures have X-Box doing better than Gamecube in US.

They also have the PSOne doing better than Gamecube in Japan, so... that wasn't much of an argument...

Tex
It's getting hot in here!
Just like XBOX.
It's burned like 50 people!!!
Did you hear about that?

mah
i dont like your misinformation ushy!
from the 3rd of october:

Tex
I think quotes are sexy!:shy:

Ushgarak
Oh great, Mah, choose the week where the X-Box has a sales dip! Try the AVERAGE figures rather than just taking the ones that best suit you!

You are the mis-information man for claiming the GC outsells the X-Box in America when the average weekly sales are 2400 X-Boxs and 800 GCs. In the week Mario Sunshine was released, GC figures for the week tripled and managed to beat the X-Box by an astonishing hundred. Wow. A similar thing happens in the UK.

I can show you weekly figures where the PSOne beats the Gamecube- that is, any week before Sunshine came out, a craze that will die down.

But use the AVERAGE, not specific weeks, and the Wonderswan does NOT beat the X-Box in Japan and the GC does NOT beat the X-box in the US.

Manipulation of statistics is an ugly way to try and prove yourself right, Mah. It will NOT work.

Tex
Oooooooo

mah
ok, now you almost, ALMOST get me pissed. I chose the most recent update available!, no picking of what suited me best! super mario sunshine did not recently come out in japan, it has no affect on that list! I follow the japanese hardware and software charts every time they're updated and YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the wonderswan beats x-box in most months.
that jap. list is an AVERAGE.
as for the UK one, did you not read the fact that those numbers were for the week ending 5th october, meaning barely 2 days of super mario sunshine days.

Tex
SLAP

Ushgarak
Ok, Mah, so you post a report which outright SAYS that the increase in hardware sales is due to Sunshine, and then claim that the increase in sales is not related to Sunshine? Way to make yourself look silly! People bought them in advance, of course. I am sure the upwards blip will continue, as the report says, but Sunshine IS affecting those figures. Standard cube sales are much lower.

And you have chosen a time in which Gamecube sales are inflated due to Sunshine. That is a fact- for the regions I said it was so, US and UK. So you are completely wasting your time talking about the craze being over in Japan. PLEASE READ WHAT I SAY before commenting on it- I know the GC outsells the X-box in Japan and never claimed otherwise.

If I gave you the US X-Box sales during the Halo rush it would annhilate anything the GC has gotten close to. Your own figures show the annual X-Box sales higher than the Wonderswan.

And your figures ARE inaccurate because they are a week of a downward salesblip in the X-Box. Seen the figures for the week before? When it is beating the Wonderswan?

Forget the weekly figures. Use PROPER figures. The ones you have provided are mis-representation.

I don't care if you get pissed or not; it's your fault for claiming that which is not so.

Ushgarak
So, to re-iterate the main points:

1. Weekly sales are not a reliable indicator of long-term performance.

2. On average, the Xbox outsells the GC in the US- Microsoft's target area

3. Microsoft has the will and the resources to continue X-Box development ad infinitum.

It is a long, long way from finished.

mah
I said the JAPANESE charts wasnt influenced by Super Mario Sunshine.
you said this:
"I can show you weekly figures where the PSOne beats the Gamecube- that is, any week before Sunshine came out, a craze that will die down." -you can't. I showed a normal japanese sales list(as said not influenced by SMS).

you also said this:
"But use the AVERAGE, not specific weeks, and the Wonderswan does NOT beat the X-Box in Japan ." - lately it has. not annual no, but lately, and that is a hint of how it will be.

as for UK sales, I never claimed that those weren't because of SuperMarioSunshine, but rather the fact that those hardware sales were like that after only 2 DAYs of SMS-sale, which indicates it will reach new heights.

Ushgarak
Before Mario Sunshine was released, PSOne weekly sales were higher than those of the GC. Go and check.

On the average, X-Box outsells wonderswan. If you THINK Wonderswan will do better, fine, but do not quote it as fact. As fact, X-Box is doing better.

And if you are admitting that the UK sales ARE affected by Sunshine then you admit they are completely inaccurate for your purposes. They do not reflect average sales.

In any case, unless you can counter the three basic points I just made your basic idea that the X-Box is doomed is wrong.

mah
"Before Mario Sunshine was released, PSOne weekly sales were higher than those of the GC. Go and check."
I do not believe this. I'll check soon.

the main, and only important thing is this: Gamecube sells slightly better than the X-box worldwide, thus making the X-box the least popular of the three next-gen consoles, and thise while the x-box is more expencive to make.

Ushgarak
But it is still selling well enough for it to not be a failure, and it not being Japanese makes that quite an achievement, though I am sure they had some hopeful idiots working for them who are upset it is not a PS2 beater. It is NOT dead- not another DC by any standards.

The sales figures I checked showed the PSOne higher. Though again, that was only in some weeks.

mah
okay. the content of the last post of yours I can agree with. its not a real failure, though I think some in MS thought the console life would be easier.

BackFire349
gamecube is the better system. has more quality games.

BackFire349
and i dont see waht the point of arguing over what system is selling more accomplishes, both systems are pailing in comparison to ps2, which system someone buys should have nothing to do with the popularity of the system, just what system has the better games, which is where gamecube beats xbox with a wet towel. xbox has had 1 good game, which i think is a bit over rated, everything halo did had been done in pc fps games in the past, just never on a console. gamecube however, has so many outstanding games coming out, and already out that sales of the gamecube will only go up, where as the xbox sales will steadily fall because of the lack of quality games and the overabundance of the flavor of the week type games that is flooding the xbox at the moment. the answer to your question is simply gamecube, it is a better system at a lower price.

BackFire349
oh and one more point, ush said it is not at the dc standard or something, you're right, dreamcast was a far better system then xbox too. too bad it had to die, had such potential.

Ushgarak
I meant the DC SALES standard, which was so appalling that Sega pulled out the hardware market.

BackFire349
the dreamcast sales werent too bad, they sold about 5 million systems, more i think, but im not sure. they killed it off right when it was starting to get popular too.

Captain REX
The Console War. big grin

*brings out popcorn and beef jerky*

I'm a GCN fan myself. Although I don't have any games (if I had a thing called cash I would) except Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader, and Super Smash Bros. Melee, it's still a fun system.

Currently trying to get a Gold in the Battle of Hoth mission in Rogue Leader. Geez it's frustrating meeting that damned accuracy percentage. mad

mah
I own 8 games, and the Gamecube launched in May here.

Fire
well they're all out in belgium and well I think there is no console which is better then another
I think they all have their supporters and they aim at selling their stuff to their supports

I would go PS2 (yea I'm a PS fan) then the Gamecube (even tho I don't like 90% of the games) and last the XBox (cause I don't trust microsoft)

Tex
I like GCube's cute little discs:shy:

Fire
lol

Captain REX
Yeah. Tiny little buggers aren't they?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.