Most Influential Rock Artists Ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BobbyD
Vote for who you think is?

Also, what do you guys think about this list? ...found it very interesting. Score one for the rappers! ...a rapper made the cut! eek!

http://www.concertlivewire.com/top10in.htm

§P0oONY
I think I'd leave out Kraftwerk, Dr. Dre & Eddie Van Halen for maybe Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones or Rage Agaisnt The Machine but the bulk of the list was decent enough.

BobbyD

§P0oONY
Originally posted by BobbyD
Well said.

RATM should make it? You think they command that much "oomph"?

How about the Who? No Prince either-very underrated in many aspects, songwriting, talent, musicianship, etc, etc.
Maybe The Who I don't think I'd put them in my top 10 though... I've personally never been a huge fan of Prince but I guess he has been pretty influential.

I really like RATM, I'm not sure if they're been a huge influence yet but I really believe they'll become one.

Alpha Centauri
Prince has been more than "pretty" influential. As ridiculous as a claim this may seem; he's still vastly underrated.

You'd be surprised how many people just see him as a Michael Jackson-esque singer.

Rage Against the Machine should definitely be there.

No Minor Threat, no Faith No More, no Fugazi, no Bad Brains?

I knew who would be voted number one before I even checked, people just assume they have to say The Beatles.

"Ask your great grandchild who the current pop rock band is and add them to the list.". Why? That's what I mean about over-estimating influence. As if it's a fact anybody who came after were influenced.

Also proving that hardcore fans are usually bitter old crones who can't accept new shit.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Faith No More should be there, Prince, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin.

That's about it. Nirvana perhaps.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Prince has been more than "pretty" influential. As ridiculous as a claim this may seem; he's still vastly underrated.

You'd be surprised how many people just see him as a Michael Jackson-esque singer.
-AC

...is quite possibly the most intelligent thing you ever said in this forum w/o or w/ personal bias, which often tends to get you into ridiculous debates/arguments, preference withstanding.

jaden101

BobbyD
Originally posted by jaden101
why...you think led zep had a huge influence on the hip-hop genre?...

perhaps if we were talking simply about guitar based music but this list seems quite balanced in taking account of electronic music and hip-hop

Balanced? Yes.

How accurate is it? Debatable in my opinion. smile

Victor Von Doom

perhaps if we were talking simply about guitar based music but this list seems quite balanced in taking account of electronic music and hip-hop

Though it does specifically say it is rock artists.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Though it does specifically say it is rock artists.

Indeed...why I thought it was bizarre/interesting.

Deathblow
I think Rage will be a future shoe-in for the list, I don't think the full-force of their influence has been felt just yet, same with Thom Yorke, and maybe Trent Reznor. And if hip-hop artists are allowed in the list, where the hell is Flash or Bambaata? I mean, Dr. Dre, come on now. At least say RZA or even Pete Rock if you're going to go more recent.

Those should definitely be in there, for better or worse. Pixies also. Whether people like them or not, I think their influence on the direction of grunge, indie and the whole alternative rock scene of the last couple of decades is criminally underrated.

chillmeistergen
Good list, I wouldn't have put the Beatles at number one though.

§P0oONY

I wasn't substituting respectively. I removed Dr. Dre because he is not Rock, and the list was about Rock.

Victor Von Doom
It's funny how a hip-hop artist is in there. Show me a hip-hop list that cites a rock song.

RedAlertv2
Ian Mackaye

Solo
Joy Division, Pavement, maybe? Ever? I don't know...

jaden101
It's funny how a hip-hop artist is in there. Show me a hip-hop list that cites a rock song.

KID ROCK...oh no...forget that.

2D_MASTER
Meh... good list for the most part. You can't please everyone. Dr. Dre was a pretty dumb choice, definately could have been replaced by somebody influentional like Zepplin or Sabbath. Not sure if i'd put the Sex Pistols on that either. Seriously, can not believe Sabbath did'nt make the list.

BobbyD
.... should be there....Nirvana, perhaps.

Here's a question: Any it will be a rather odd one to answer/separate.

You'll see what I mean....

Should they (Nirvana) be given the credit? Or should their first album be given the credit?

I know-it's like splitting hairs. But, any opinion on the matter?

Alpha Centauri
I think both, because it wasn't just the music that influenced people about Nirvana.

I think they were more influencial than their music. There were other bands representing in music what they were representing in image. Music too, but mostly image.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
The band.

I'll tell you why.

It's ****ing influential artists.

Isn't it.

BobbyD
The band.

I'll tell you why.

It's ****ing influential artists.

Isn't it.

laughing out loud

Geepers, tough crowd here.

deathbunnyman
Many artists cite David Bowie as a main influence. Nirvana surely are influenced by him.

Nellinator
David Bowie is influential to be sure. He was very experimental.

I'd have to say that the Who are one of the bands I hear mentioned a lot by other musicians. There are other obvious

Also, Venom because even though I dislike them, they are a major influence in the heavier metals.

ESB -1138

Also, what do you guys think about this list? ...found it very interesting. Score one for the rappers! ...a rapper made the cut! eek!

Zeppelin needs to be in there...and I'm not going to point out a hip-hop artist being in a ROCK list.

BobbyD
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Zeppelin needs to be in there...and I'm not going to point out a hip-hop artist being in a ROCK list.

...found that a little unusual myself. Zep or Black Sabbath should be on there too, in my opinion.

Maybe a better title for this particular list should be "most influential acts/artists"? ...leave out that word "rock". But then I suppose we'd have Beethoven, Wagner, Mozart, and/or some Motown/Soul (Charles, JB, Aretha, Supremes, etc, etc) on there too.

Funkadelic
List needs P-Funk, James Brown, Rolling stones, Mozart, Miles Davis etc. and Prince.

EDIT: My bad just read the word 'Rock'. Then P & The stones (Don't like 'em, but they were influential) have 2 B on there.

Victor Von Doom
Next week, how Maggot Brain influenced Moonlight Sonata.

Nellinator
Lawl.

Funkadelic
Next week, how Maggot Brain influenced Moonlight Sonata.

All of Hip Hop ripped P-Funk off man.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Funkadelic
All of Hip Hop ripped P-Funk off man.

Listen to some other music for crying out loud.

-AC

Funkadelic
I do.

Doesn't mean I can't prefer some music over other music..

Drusilla
On my list there'd be AC/DC, Metallica, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Jim Morrison, Billy Idol, Axl definitely, Ramones and the Rolling Stones...
At least, they had an influence on me.

Nellinator
The Ramones are a very influential band in punk music to be sure.

For electronic music I nominate Brian Eno.

ragesRemorse
marilyn manson
greenday
lindsay lohan
chris daughtry

ledzeppelin
the beatles

BobbyD
Originally posted by Dulcie
On my list there'd be AC/DC, Metallica, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Jim Morrison, Billy Idol, Axl definitely, Ramones and the Rolling Stones...
At least, they had an influence on me.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. laughing out loud

Devil King

That's because it's an encompassing list, and considers other's opinions, not just yours. I don't think it was called AC's Top Ten most influential artists.

I knew who would be voted number one before I even checked, people just assume they have to say The Beatles.

I'd agree 100% with that.

Also proving that hardcore fans are usually bitter old crones who can't accept new shit.

-AC

So, what's the opposite of that type of person?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Devil King
That's because it's an encompassing list, and considers other's opinions, not just yours. I don't think it was called AC's Top Ten most influential artists.

Hardcore punk influenced more music than a lot of other genres. Bad Brains and Minor Threat, along with Black Flag, spearheaded the movement. That's why they are there.

Originally posted by Devil King
So, what's the opposite of that type of person?

Young people who don't like old things.

Influence, ultimately, comes down to how much music you know about. The more music you know, the more you can see who influenced what. If you don't know Minor Threat, you won't know how much they influenced people, for example.

-AC

the welsh one
i think guns n roses are very influential

slash is my favourite guitarist of all time

Victor Von Doom
Who have they influenced?

BobbyD
Who have they influenced?

Me, in this capacity......beer

I was in high school then. laughing out loud

the welsh one
well me

and lots of bands

Bardock42
It's The Smiths. Fact.

Pezmerga
All that matters to me is if the said artist or band can influence me to buy their music. If not the hell with em. Anyway...Rush is pretty influential if only for being virtuosos in their respective instruments...

Also I endorse the Velvet Underground. And Mike Patton should be up there. I bet 10-20 years from now Tomahawk will be revered! (at least they should be!)

Nellinator
I don't know. I don't think Patton's influence is broad enough to make a top ten list.

I'd agree with AC that a hardcore punk band should be on that list. Probably Black Flag of the ones he listed. I'd also be tempted with a band like Slayer or Motorhead.

Alpha Centauri
If Mike Patton was widely known in the mainstream, with the same material, people would say his name.

It's only because he isn't as known that people won't suggest him. Materialwise he deserves to be there ahead of many bands deemed unquestionably eligible.

Originally posted by the welsh one
lots of bands

Name them.

Not just bands who say it, bands who have actually be influenced musically.

-AC

Nellinator
Influence is generally measured by the amount of people that you have influence. Patton is popular and has a strong cult following and has influenced a selected following, but I don't think it's that wide.

Velvet Revolver teehee.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nellinator
Influence is generally measured by the amount of people that you have influence. Patton is popular and has a strong cult following and has influenced a selected following, but I don't think it's that wide.

It's about lasting impact, not direct impact or how many people you directly touch or how many people cite you. Dog Fashion Disco have never specifically cited Patton as an influence, but listen to their music and it's more or less undeniable.

There are a shit load of vocalists, known or otherwise, who take influence from Mike Patton. Serj Tankien, Josh Homme, Greg Puciato, Daryl Palumbo, M. Shadows, Maynard James Keenan, James Hetfield, Cory Taylor. It tends to be the best musicians who aren't just out there to play to TRL, that know him. Genuine fans of music.

So even if you wanted to argue that his influence wasn't the biggest, it's arguably one of the most important. He's influencing the influential, not just making a half-way safe album that's good enough for real musicians and music fans to dig, and idiots to cite so they feel smarter.

*Awaits the inevitable reply from that inevitable poster*

-AC

zjtrivium
Well said.

RATM should make it? You think they command that much "oomph"?

How about the Who? No Prince either-very underrated in many aspects, songwriting, talent, musicianship, etc, etc.
yeah, prince made his first album completely by himself. he played every instrument. i havent listened to enough of his music to judge him, but that's still pretty influential to me.

Bat Dude
Van Halen
Black Sabbath
Kiss
Led Zeppelin
Sex Pistols
Ramones

there are plenty more, but I don't feel like typing them all...

ESB -1138
Led Zeppelin, the Eagles, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, Prince, and Jimmy Buffet (to a smaller extent) have been huge influences on music. These are just a few of course; but seriously the Beatles number 1; who didn't see that one coming. Most overrated band ever.

Nellinator
It's about lasting impact, not direct impact or how many people you directly touch or how many people cite you. Dog Fashion Disco have never specifically cited Patton as an influence, but listen to their music and it's more or less undeniable.

There are a shit load of vocalists, known or otherwise, who take influence from Mike Patton. Serj Tankien, Josh Homme, Greg Puciato, Daryl Palumbo, M. Shadows, Maynard James Keenan, James Hetfield, Cory Taylor. It tends to be the best musicians who aren't just out there to play to TRL, that know him. Genuine fans of music.

So even if you wanted to argue that his influence wasn't the biggest, it's arguably one of the most important. He's influencing the influential, not just making a half-way safe album that's good enough for real musicians and music fans to dig, and idiots to cite so they feel smarter.

*Awaits the inevitable reply from that inevitable poster*

-AC However, I think you are highlighting an important aspect influence. False influence. I've seen lots of people claim people as influences then not have any in their work. Now, I'm not saying Patton isn't influential because he was/is, but look at your example of Hetfield. Patton influence? Pretty minimal. Hetfield obviously enjoys Patton and likes his music and this often leads people to be claimed as influences. Is Patton an influence on Hetfield? Fairly doubtful when his clear ones are Lemmy and Sean Harris. It's the same problem with the Beatles. A lot of people claim influence from them when they haven't actually been influenced.

Alpha Centauri
However, I think you are highlighting an important aspect influence. False influence. I've seen lots of people claim people as influences then not have any in their work. Now, I'm not saying Patton isn't influential because he was/is, but look at your example of Hetfield. Patton influence? Pretty minimal. Hetfield obviously enjoys Patton and likes his music and this often leads people to be claimed as influences. Is Patton an influence on Hetfield? Fairly doubtful when his clear ones are Lemmy and Sean Harris. It's the same problem with the Beatles. A lot of people claim influence from them when they haven't actually been influenced.

How does this disprove what I'm saying? Minimal or not, it's there.

Undoubtedly a fan more so, and you're correct, that shouldn't be mistaken for influence, because that's inspiration, but it's there, even slightly. You say Lemmy and Sean Harris like they're the only ones. Jaz Coleman from Killing Joke, also another.

-AC

Nellinator
I wasn't trying to disprove you. I don't hold Patton to be not influential, I just don't consider him top ten material.

When I think of influence I try to think of how different they would be without the influence. SOAD probably wouldn't be much different if Patton hadn't existed, but I can see influence there. Hetfield would have happened anyways, Maynard James Keenan wouldn't be the same at all, etc. Sure Patton is enjoyed by a lot of musicians, but I think you are giving him too much credit in terms of influence.

Bardock42
I think The Beatles get name dropped a lot. And they are probably not as influential as people generally make them out to be, but I think it can't be denied that people like The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Rolling Stones, shaped popular music in the 60s and influenced people subsequently. I think that's probably what AC means anyways.

BobbyD
It's the same problem with the Beatles. A lot of people claim influence from them when they haven't actually been influenced.

I would call it a degree of separation kind-of-thing.

A was influenced by B, who was influenced by C, who was influenced by the Beatles. Thus the Beatles have their roots in A.

...sorta like a family tree, except this is a geneology of music.

Alpha Centauri
I would call it a degree of separation kind-of-thing.

A was influenced by B, who was influenced by C, who was influenced by the Beatles. Thus the Beatles have their roots in A.

...sorta like a family tree, except this is a geneology of music.

That's like saying we're all part-African because that's where life began.

Silliness. Just another excuse for people to give The Beatles credit.

If I write a song inspired by Ozzy Osbourne, who was influenced by The Beatles, it doesn't mean I am being inspired by them. Nothing The Beatles have done has influenced me.

-AC

BobbyD
That's like saying we're all part-African because that's where life began.

Silliness. Just another excuse for people to give The Beatles credit.

If I write a song inspired by Ozzy Osbourne, who was influenced by The Beatles, it doesn't mean I am being inspired by them. Nothing The Beatles have done has influenced me.

-AC

Point taken. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Alpha Centauri
Don't apologise, haha.

Just my point.

-AC

Nellinator
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think The Beatles get name dropped a lot. And they are probably not as influential as people generally make them out to be, but I think it can't be denied that people like The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Rolling Stones, shaped popular music in the 60s and influenced people subsequently. I think that's probably what AC means anyways. I can definitely see some bands influenced by the Beatles, like the Smiths, or most of the bands out of the Britpop movement, but there are definitely namedropping issues with them.

2D_MASTER
Black Sabbath... I doubt anybody is ignorant enough to deny their vast influence. I am not saying that they are THE MOST influential, but where would we be without them?

Alpha Centauri
I don't like to assume where we'd be with or without any band, since we'll never know.

They created a genre that's provided a lot of great and shit stuff, that's pretty big.

-AC

2D_MASTER
I don't like to assume where we'd be with or without any band, since we'll never know.

They created a genre that's provided a lot of great and shit stuff, that's pretty big.

-AC

Well, I didn't mean assume anything (if that is what you thought)... but it doesn't hurt to wonder right? I totally agree with part of what you said though; both great things and shit have came from their seed (but that goes with any influential band).

BobbyD
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Black Sabbath... I doubt anybody is ignorant enough to deny their vast influence. I am not saying that they are THE MOST influential, but where would we be without them?

Echoed...in my top 10 (of most influential).

Victor Von Doom
I wasn't trying to disprove you. I don't hold Patton to be not influential, I just don't consider him top ten material.

When I think of influence I try to think of how different they would be without the influence. SOAD probably wouldn't be much different if Patton hadn't existed, but I can see influence there. Hetfield would have happened anyways, Maynard James Keenan wouldn't be the same at all, etc. Sure Patton is enjoyed by a lot of musicians, but I think you are giving him too much credit in terms of influence.

SOAD would definitely be different without Patton's influence.

Nellinator
Black Sabbath... I doubt anybody is ignorant enough to deny their vast influence. I am not saying that they are THE MOST influential, but where would we be without them? I'd put them top 5 without a question.

SOAD would definitely be different without Patton's influence. I tried to imply they would be different. But I don't see his influence in a way that would drastically changed the band if it hadn't happened.

Alpha Centauri
Serj more or less took his vocal style from one FNM song, and that's the staple of their sound.

-AC

the welsh one

Should they (Nirvana) be given the credit? Or should their first album be given the credit?

i think nirvana should be on the list not just their first album. i personally like all their albums. i think its wrong to think their first album was their most influential.

Bardock42

Yes, I feel that in a most influential rock artist thread albums don't really have a point.

ElectricBugaloo
I'm still wondering how exactly Elvis was at number seven. I'd put him at #2 after the Beatles.

And I don't think Nirvana should be on the list. If you're gonna go that route, why not The Pixies or Sonic Youth who influenced all the "grunge" bands and countless indie bands in the years since?

Lord Shaper

David Bowie. Hands down.

ragesRemorse
Dylan, Hendrix, Bowie, pistols and presely should most certainly be on that list. Every other artist or band's influence is trumped by greater bands. Im dumbfounded as to why Dr Dre is included on list of most influential ROCK artists.

Van Halen and kraftwerk makes the list but ledz eppelin or black sabbath doesnt? That list should be in no way respected or even acknowledged.

Nellinator
Van Halen shouldn't be out of consideration, they are very influential.

ElectricBugaloo
Here's my top-ten, after thinking about it off and on for a couple days:

1) Chuck Berry
2) Elvis Presley
3) The Beatles
4) Jimmy Hendrix
5) Bob Dylan
6) Led Zeppelin
7) Cream
8) David Bowie
9) The Ramones
10) Black Sabbath

Alpha Centauri
Why do people call him "Jimmy"? It happens way too frequently.

-AC

ElectricBugaloo
I was writing it in my IM window, and it automatically "corrected" the spelling. damn spell checker.

RSSR

Rage Against the Machine should definitely be there.

"Ask your great grandchild who the current pop rock band is and add them to the list.". Why? That's what I mean about over-estimating influence. As if it's a fact anybody who came after were influenced.

-AC
Wow. You're saying The Beatles shouldn't be no. 1 on any and all discussion/lists of the most important and influential artists in Rock 'n Roll history!?

RSSR

Besides Metal, who and what else have they influenced?

InnerRise
Linkin Park.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by InnerRise
Linkin Park.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

-AC

Kram3r
Originally posted by RSSR
Besides Metal, who and what else have they influenced?

I think the fact they practically created a genre is grounds enough. Metal is what they created and that's pretty ****ing huge considering that they've influenced almost every artist under the sun who plays in that genre. There are very few artists who can actually claim to have created a new type of music. The Beatles certainity can't make that claim.

ragesRemorse
Why do people call him "Jimmy"? It happens way too frequently.

-AC

why does it matter

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by RSSR
Wow. You're saying The Beatles shouldn't be no. 1 on any and all discussion/lists of the most important and influential artists in Rock 'n Roll history!?

dont get him started on that partner

Kram3r
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
why does it matter

Because that's not how it's spelled.

Alpha Centauri
why does it matter

Because that's not his name.

"Pair" is not "Pear" just because it sounds the same.

-AC

ragesRemorse
Because that's not his name.

"Pair" is not "Pear" just because it sounds the same.

-AC

If you know whom the person is referring to. Your just waisting your time by correcting something so trivial on a forum that is just as trivial

Alpha Centauri
If you know whom the person is referring to. Your just waisting your time by correcting something so trivial on a forum that is just as trivial

His name is "Jimi", not "Jimmy", so call him "Jimi". Anything else is retarded.

I fail to see getting someone's birth name wrong, and correcting it, as trivial.

-AC

Wålshy

I fail to see getting someone's birth name wrong, and correcting it, as trivial.

-AC

his birth name was johnny

Alpha Centauri
Yes, and?

We're not calling him Johnny, are we? Either Jimi or Johnny, since those are birth or assumed names. There's no "Jimmy" or "John" in there. Names are names.

-AC

Wålshy

-AC

i thought you thought that jimi was his birth name

2D_MASTER
Yes, and?

We're not calling him Johnny, are we? Either Jimi or Johnny, since those are birth or assumed names. There's no "Jimmy" or "John" in there. Names are names.

-AC

Reported for trolling.

Nellinator

-AC Some people just aren't great spellers or might not be familiar with the unusual spelling of his name. It's really not important.

Alpha Centauri
Why does it have to be important? It's a name, so people should get it right. There's absolutely no excuse not to.

If you know music, if you know Hendrix, you'd know his name was "Jimi". It's plastered all over the man's albums.

Reported for trolling.

Back at you.

-AC

2D_MASTER

Back at you.

-AC

Bwhahaha actually I was playing, I didn't report you, you're uptight (and predictable) as ever. Ever wonder if you constantly reporting me is actually counterproductive?

The_Dormouse
Why does it have to be important? It's a name, so people should get it right. There's absolutely no excuse not to.

If you know music, if you know Hendrix, you'd know his name was "Jimi". It's plastered all over the man's albums.

Back at you.

-AC

GHEY.

Report ME, SUCKAAA.

Alpha Centauri
Done.

Bwhahaha actually I was playing, I didn't report you, you're uptight (and predictable) as ever. Ever wonder if you constantly reporting me is actually counterproductive?

I didn't actually report you either (And you can check if you feel I'm lying), but your constant pursuit of me is slightly disturbing, and you've been warned before.

This time I will report you.

-AC

Shinde Imasu
Ouch ... Burned ... Well, enough is enough, I guess ...

ragesRemorse

Wålshy

msn-oh 2D master has been banned!

Alpha Centauri
He did laughing because he said it laughing out loud That means his rebuttals are void

He's stubborn though. Im sure he will find something

The funny part is, you would say that no matter what I said, so there's no need for rebuttal.

Even though you're wrong and have been waiting for something to say ever since you made the silly claim that spelling someone's name right doesn't matter, so long as you know what they're on about.

If you wanna tie the two previous comments together because they happened to be in the same post, do so, so long as you realise it's you doing it.

-AC

Nellinator

If you know music, if you know Hendrix, you'd know his name was "Jimi". It's plastered all over the man's albums. Because some people don't really care for Hendrix and/or haven't memorized the spelling.

chillmeistergen
Because some people don't really care for Hendrix and/or haven't memorized the spelling.

I don't care for Mariah Carey, but I don't call her Leeroy Carey.

Alpha Centauri
Mary Carey.

Because some people don't really care for Hendrix and/or haven't memorized the spelling.

Are people that retarded that they cannot remember how to spell "Jimi"? Why are you even making excuses?

-AC

chillmeistergen
Mary Carey.

-AC

Isn't she a filthy, dirty, sinful porn star of kinds?

Alpha Centauri
Nah, that's Jimmy Hendrix.

-AC

chillmeistergen
Oh right, yeah, my bad. I knew I was either thinking of Jimmy Hendrix, Mary Carey or Noel Diamond.

InnerRise

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by InnerRise
Home Grown Pown. I love it.laughcry

Why do you think you're a slick, cool genius when all you ever do is show up and prove how little you know, and how much of an nationality crisis you're having?

-AC

Reverend Axel
and how much of an nationality crisis you're having?

-AC

Thank you.

InnerRise
haermm

Nellinator
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I don't care for Mariah Carey, but I don't call her Leeroy Carey. Because it's phonetics that matter. Language precedes writing.

Mary Carey.

Are people that retarded that they cannot remember how to spell "Jimi"? Why are you even making excuses?

-AC
No, they just don't care enough to bother with it. I'm not, you just being stupid.

InnerRise
No, they just don't care enough to bother with it. I'm not, you're just being extremely stupid. yes

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Alpha Centauri
No, they just don't care enough to bother with it. I'm not, you just being stupid.

Yes, and that makes them stupid. Spelling someone's name wrong because you don't care enough is retarded. Misspelling a name because you genuinely don't know how to spell it is a mistake.

People here should know how his name is spelled "Jimi", anything else is silly.

So no, you're being stupid for accepting such idiocy.

-AC

RedAlertv2
Most of the time it doesn't bother me when people get names wrong, but in the case of Jimi, its such an obvious thing to even the slightest fan, that spelling it any other way insinuates that anyone who misspells it is just trying to name drop for the sake of credibility.

Alpha Centauri
The worst part is, I know people here who say it and clearly aren't trying for credibility.

-AC

Nellinator
Yes, and that makes them stupid. Spelling someone's name wrong because you don't care enough is retarded. Misspelling a name because you genuinely don't know how to spell it is a mistake.

People here should know how his name is spelled "Jimi", anything else is silly.

So no, you're being stupid for accepting such idiocy.

-AC And it could be either, and even if you think it's retarded it doesn't matter. It literally has no bearing on the discussion of music.

There are reasons why some people may not. Perhaps they have only heard him announced on the radio without ever looking it up. I would not expect anybody who listens predominately to other styles of music to know the spelling because it is unusual. Not everyone is a dedicated music fan and even more often than that people listen to music more than read on it.

Hardly, it creates the same word. You not dealing with it and keeping your issues with society and reality is pretty sad.

Alpha Centauri
I never said it had any bearing on musical discussion, I was making a point about his name.

Electric Boogaloo isn't some newbie, he does it. As do a few others around this site.

No real excuse, at least not for continual misspellings.

-AC

Nellinator
No real excuse, at least not for continual misspellings. That I can agree with.

InnerRise
You not dealing with it and keeping your issues with society and reality is pretty sad. Yes. laughcry

Alpha Centauri
Don't you have an androgynous, Eastern girlboy to be fantasising over or something?

-AC

Arnoldlayne

Nellinator
Country rock is rooted in Bob Dylan, Elvis, and Johnny Cash, not The Beatles and Helter Skelter was a response to The Who who were setting the standard for heaviness. Extreme distortion comes from The Yardbirds. Other than those, I'd say you have a strong argument. Radiohead, the entire Britpop movement etc. were influenced by the Beatles.

Arnoldlayne
Extreme Distortion was done on Paperback Writer and Revolution. The Yardbirds used distortion and so did the Kinks. They did not use extreme distortion their distortion sound was not fat enough to be considered extreme distortion. Helter Skelter is one of the first songs of Heavy Metal the Beatles were influenced by the Who to do something louder and it turned into Helter Skelter.I Want You (She's So Heavy) has the satanic chord progression that bands like Black Sabbath built their careers around! And Helter Skelter is protype Slayer down to the screaming vocals. As for country rock I never said the Beatles invented it but they purposefully used country with a rock beat before it became the big thing by the Band, Dylan and Byrds.

Nellinator
Jeff Beck era Yardbirds? Jeff Beck is single-handedly the most influential artist in the area of distortion. Also, distorted riff based rock was really conceptualized by Chuck Berry and Cream on Disraeli Gears in 1967, Helter Skelter was 1968. The Who, Cream, etc. have had way more influence in terms of guitar. Plus, extreme distortion of the type you see on Helter Skelter and Hey Hey My My by Neil Young is almost never used, it never caught on. Tony Iommi's influences come primarily from the blues. Have you heard his stuff from before he lost his fingers? The Shadows are probably his biggest influence. His sound comes from his own innovations. Downtuning his guitar to C# and non-blues based slow single string riffing that came from his limitations. Iommi invented his own style, it did not come from the Beatles. The other most influential band on heavy metal is Deep Purple. Their sound is based off of classical music and blues. The classical sound brought in by Deep Purple combined with the single string riffing and heaviness of Black Sabbath style riffs is what made heavy metal. It would easily have happened without the Beatles. The Beatles are far more influential in pop rock than hard rock and metal.

The Beatles influence on country rock is nearly non-existent, which is my point. It had been done nearly a decade before them. It was already popular at the time of The Beatles.

Also, looking back, the idea that prog rock comes from the Beatles is slightly off. Prog rock comes from bands like Pink Floyd, not pop music. It comes from classical and jazz, not The Beatles. The Beatles were amongst the first, but they were not the first and their influence on the genre is minimal. Pink Floyd was up and making progressive psychedelic music well before The Beatles put anything of the sort on record.

vintageSW77
Lennon.Kraftwerk..........erm

Kingcrimson
The Beatles influence on instigating folk rock is very key it was because of them that the Byrds went electric. Roger McGuinn credits them for inventing folk rock.

They instigated progressive rock and they were already doing proto-progressive stuff on Revolver and Strawberry Fields Forever which influenced Syd Barrett. Pink Floyd first record was in 1967. Arnold Layne sounds so poppish compared to Tomorrow Never Knows. Yes, Pipers at the Gates of Dawn was released after Sgt Peppers is a great record. The Beatles recorded psychedelic stuff was April of 1966 way before most bands were even recording psychedelic rock. They were already traces of psychedelic rock on Rubber Soul.

Phil Collins on the Beatles as Phil Collins once said (and I paraphrase) the Beatles opened doors to rooms in the musical mansion that many artists didn't know existed and said "it's okay to go in here, too." I consider the fab four to be the instigators of progressive rock.

Kingcrimson

Nellinator
I was talking true progressive music, which comes straight out of jazz movements, not pop movements. But since we are now talking psychedelic music we can go to its roots as well. The Holy Modal Rounders, The Deep, The Yardbirds, The 13th Floor Elevators and The Quicksilver Messenger Service are all much more influential in that area. Psychedelic music was already very popular before Beatles delved into it. Look at the Doors, the precursor band The Psychedelic Rangers are from 1964 at the latest. Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead, etc. Psychedelic music was a boom, not started by anyone band and certainly not the Beatles.

Also, note that Phil Collins opinion of progressive rock means little to me considering he ruined one of the better ones. Peter Gabriel era Genesis was mint. Phil Collins era was awful.

Nellinator

Funkadelic
Most influential?

JAMES BROWN

Wålshy
edit: wrong thread

maham
For me,it'll always be Evanescence?Amy Lee.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Funkadelic
Most influential?

JAMES BROWN Definitely influential in a lot of genres.

Bardock42
Originally posted by maham
For me,it'll always be Evanescence?Amy Lee.

We are talking about most influential in music. Not influencing your life.

Wålshy
the kinks were influential

dunno if the kinks have been mentioned in this thread before

Nellinator

big gay kirk
Seeing as we're talking most influential, as opposed to actually any good....

Lloyd Cole
The beatles
The Hollies
Sid Barrett
Take That
Husker Du
Mozart
The Who
Prefab Sprout
Sparks

And if anyone wants me to justify any of those, feel free to ask...

jaden101
Originally posted by big gay kirk
Seeing as we're talking most influential, as opposed to actually any good....

Lloyd Cole
The beatles
The Hollies
Sid Barrett
Take That
Husker Du
Mozart
The Who
Prefab Sprout
Sparks

And if anyone wants me to justify any of those, feel free to ask...

please justify take that

big gay kirk
Take That.... probably the most influential boy band of the nineties... most of the other boy bands of that era and today took their lead from take that... and still do....they were also a great influence on bands like McFly who attempted to change the formula towards a more rock oriented sound, and even more importantly they inspired rock bands such as Travis, Oasis, Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes et al to start making music in order to stop the charts being filled with boy band dross... plus kudos to TT for managing to change with the times, slap Robbie Williams and semi-reinvent themselves as a pop band for today....

jaden101
Originally posted by big gay kirk
Take That.... probably the most influential boy band of the nineties... most of the other boy bands of that era and today took their lead from take that... and still do....they were also a great influence on bands like McFly who attempted to change the formula towards a more rock oriented sound, and even more importantly they inspired rock bands such as Travis, Oasis, Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes et al to start making music in order to stop the charts being filled with boy band dross... plus kudos to TT for managing to change with the times, slap Robbie Williams and semi-reinvent themselves as a pop band for today....

new kids on the block...need i say more?

Nellinator
Please justify your inclusion of Mozart in the category of

JackieCD
Dr. Dre and Timbaland

Arnoldlayne
It seems the influence of the Beatles are hitting hip-hop first Wu Tang used the melody While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Now Ja Rule is using the melody of Eleanor Rigby in one of his tunes on his latest album.

Nellinator
That doesn't count as influence.

Arnoldlayne
Yes taking someone melodies is influence. Or basically it's stealing.

Arnoldlayne
The Beatles were amongst the first, but they were not the first and their influence on the genre is minimal. Pink Floyd was up and making progressive psychedelic music well before The Beatles put anything of the sort on record.

Nellinator that was your words. The Beatles were making progressive psychedelic records on Revolver. Songs like Tomorrow Never Knows, Love You To and She Said She Said with it quirky time signatures were recorded when Pink Floyd were still not a recording group and really goes far above the Yardbirds and Byrds debatable psychedelic records Shapes of Things and Eight Miles High. John Cale said She Said She Said was a big influence on him. Don't minimize Revolver influence on the Byrds Younger Than Yesterday and Revolver and Strawberry Fields Forever influence on Pink Floyd.

Another influential song was Eleanor Rigby how many rock groups were doing tunes with classical influence, no rock instruments with just vocals and strings. Rain was also innovative with it's backward vocal fade out and upfront unusual drum and bass pattern. What is the connection these songs were recorded in 1966 before the Doors and 13th Floor Elevator first records were out. You really are underestimating the Beatles originality and influence on both psychedelic and progressive rock. The Beatles were already flirting with psychedelic music on The Word listen to the trippy harmonium fills and the psychedelic pop of Nowhere Man in 1965.

Pezmerga
When mentioning psychedelic, one cannot forget the grateful dead.

But whatever....this beatles love fest gets old. Yes they were innovative, but people have done it better since. And I do like the Beatles, not taking anything away from them at all.

jaden101
the fact of the matter is that none of us are entitled to say what bands influenced what bands...only they themselves can say and very few of them do...an example would be when i watched a metallica interview and lars said that they were being influenced heavily, post black album, by Oasis...would anyone know that if they hadn't said it?....doubtful

i think that producers probably had a bigger influence as they were the ones with the access to the new technologies and ways in which bands were utilising them...and as such were probably spreading the word

Alpha Centauri
Why did I somehow know that this was up the page due to some kind of Beatlemania?

-AC

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>