Why did Yoda go into exile?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

srankmissingnin
I was re-watching RotS the other day and I started wondering, why did Yoda have to go into exile? Once he and Obi-Won met up after the defeat of Anikin, why didn't the two of them go and stomp a mud hole in Palpatine together? The fight between Yoda and Palpatine was pretty even, with Obi-Won's help they could have easy beat him and restored the senate. I know that Yoda had to go into exile to fit with the OT but considering the storyline it wasn't even remotely necessary... for someone as wise as Yoda it seemed like a pretty dumb movie. Did I miss something? Why did Yoda have to go into exile?

confused

General G
Because Sidious was now on Corousant, the home world of the galaxy with probably millions of storm troopers protecting him. He also had no lightsaber. It would have been a pretty dumb move.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by General G
Because Sidious was now on Corousant, the home world of the galaxy with probably millions of storm troopers protecting him. He also had no lightsaber. It would have been a pretty dumb move.

Didn't Obi-Wan had both his own and Anikin's light saber? I'm sure he could have lent one to Yoda.

Some stealth would have been in order but it still would have been doable... and a much better plain then going into exile for 22 years.

masterkit
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Didn't Obi-Wan had both his own and Anikin's light saber? I'm sure he could have lent one to Yoda.

Some stealth would have been in order but it still would have been doable... and a much better plain then going into exile for 22 years.

Yeah, but if Yoda tried to use Ani's lightsaber he would just tip over.

Schecter
yoda couldnt penetrate palps' defenses, so we must assume

my theory is that yoda hid on dagobah to avoid detection. as luke said there was an overabundance of life signs, and yoda declares that life creates the force, makes it grow, etc. (i could use midichlorians to strengthen the point, but it makes me feel icky). so yoda was the proverbial needle in a haystack

aldisyoyo
Originally posted by masterkit
Yeah, but if Yoda tried to use Ani's lightsaber he would just tip over.
laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud

Tangible God
I was re-watching RotS the other day and I started wondering, why did Yoda have to go into exile? Once he and Obi-Won met up after the defeat of Anikin, why didn't the two of them go and stomp a mud hole in Palpatine together? The fight between Yoda and Palpatine was pretty even, with Obi-Won's help they could have easy beat him and restored the senate. I know that Yoda had to go into exile to fit with the OT but considering the storyline it wasn't even remotely necessary... for someone as wise as Yoda it seemed like a pretty dumb movie. Did I miss something? Why did Yoda have to go into exile?

confused There's a reason Yoda had a small lightsaber.

That fight left Yoda pretty drained, thanks to Ataru. Palpatine was still going good. Don't think that just 'cause he got pushed over a railing that he was tired.

Not to mention all the troops.

And if Obi-Wan was there, Palpatine would just overcome him and use him as a bait, or a bargaining chip against Yoda, who wouldn't bear to see Obi-Wan just walk into death.

Gideon
Yeah, it's obvious. Yoda's mission, sadly, had a limited window of opportunity. As we know, Palpatine initiated unprecedented military build-ups, and Coruscant pretty much became the most secure location in the galaxy. The stormtroopers, 501st Legion, Royal Guards, dark side adepts, and Vader would have been blocking their route to Palpatine.

BlueDMighty

confused

He hid because he had to perfect the new "Astral Body" technique developed by Qui Gon Gyn. At that point it was their only hope of mathcing the Emporers power and influence. Become immortable, guide the next generation, save the universe.

Sith Master X
Yoda knew that the Emperor was going to send people to destroy him. After the Jedi massacre, every single Jedi was supposed to be dead.

exanda kane
tax evasion

General G
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Yoda knew that the Emperor was going to send people to destroy him. After the Jedi massacre, every single Jedi was supposed to be dead.

Or else there would be civil war without end...

queeq
Originally posted by exanda kane
tax evasion

I agree.

General G
I disagree. Yoda is all powerful, taxes don't apply to him.

queeq
The rent then. The guy must have lived somewhere.

General G
He is a toad, he can go in the sewers.

exanda kane
That's slanderous and discriminatory.

General G
No way.

exanda kane
It's not disagreeable, its a fact, no better than racism. What was Yoda done to incur your slanderous wrath? Rising interest rates are enough for anyone to do a runner and hide in a swamp.

General G
I think that could be referred to as slanderous and discriminatory by saying that he deserves no less than living in a swamp.

Sith Master X
He should have suffered the heat on Mustafar.

General G
Didn't look like it took too much out of Anakin and OB1, although they were there for a short amount of time. And plus, the Empire went back to Mustafar later on.

exanda kane
I think that could be referred to as slanderous and discriminatory by saying that he deserves no less than living in a swamp.

Aha! But I certainly did not say he deserved a swamp did I? I said it was understandable. The property market is a treachorous thing, and thought must be given to the po's and con's of every situation.

masterkit
I disagree. Yoda is all powerful, taxes don't apply to him.

Little man, big ego.

Sith Master X
Maybe he got some sort of retirement plan after losing to the Emperor.

queeq

I dunno. Shrek lives in a swamp and is green too. Maybe Yoda's his brother.

ADarksideJedi
It was becoming too dangers for the jedi to be around.For what I had heard the last time the sith was in power alot of jedi died.So I don't blame him for hiding.jm

overlord
He had to hide his presence at the swamp planet or something.

Sesse
Yoda should have had one of those Rocky-style training montages. Finally he climbs the stairs of the jedi temple with ease and screams "Sidious!"

Then he is ready to fight.

Rocky Balboa beats Yoda.

General G
Rocky at the end of a fight: Adrian!! Adrian!!!!

Yoda at the end of a fight: crawls through vents.

Rocky wins.

Gideon
tax evasion

I wonder what punishment the Empire would induce on those who didn't pay their taxes... probably death, right?

Phenom1985
If only Yoda was younger and faster that he would of defeated Darth Sidious. I would love to see a rematch on Yoda and Sidious.

Sith Master X
The Emperor would have also been younger too. I'm sure Sidious took a hit in power after his confrontation with Mace.

queeq

Rocky wins.

Yoda at the end of the fight: Obi-Wan!!! Obi-Wan!!!

Yeah... that'd work.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Sesse
Yoda should have had one of those Rocky-style training montages. Finally he climbs the stairs of the jedi temple with ease and screams "Sidious!"

Rocky Balboa beats Yoda.

I got to remember this post!jm

ADarksideJedi

Rocky Balboa beats Yoda.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Gideon
I wonder what punishment the Empire would induce on those who didn't pay their taxes... probably death, right?

There are worse things than death Gideon. Beauracry, namely.

Schecter

Rocky wins.

no, i'd prefer the karate kid montage of kenobi training to fight anakin, with yoda as mr miyagi. first yoda makes kenobi do endless and seemingly pointless chores around the jedi temple...yeah...you know the rest.

queeq
Force on Force off.

General G
Originally posted by queeq

Yeah... that'd work.

That works too.

Count Makashi

Yeah... that'd work.

Why Obi-Wan?

exanda kane
Originally posted by Schecter
no, i'd prefer the karate kid montage of kenobi training to fight anakin, with yoda as mr miyagi. first yoda makes kenobi do endless and seemingly pointless chores around the jedi temple...yeah...you know the rest. big grin

coolmovies
He didnt want to get killed plus he had to train luke .

queeq
Originally posted by Count Makashi
Why Obi-Wan?

Coz it sounds like "Adrian" and he's the only Jedi left.

General G
I just re-watched Rocky I, man I love that part.

coolmovies
whats rocky got to do with star wars ??

steverules
Apparantly everything

Sesse
Rocky and Apollo are good friends. Then a monsterous inhuman Ivan Drago comes along and challenges Apollo, who fights against him. Apollo dies and Rocky feels very bad. Rocky goes to Apollos old mentor, Duke, and together they train in the harsh terrain of Siberia. After that, Rocky is ready and defeats Drago in a fierce battle that takes place in the heart of darkness, the Soviet Union.

Luke and ObiWan are good friends. Then a monsterous inhuman Darth Vader comes along and challenges Kenobi, who fights agains him. Kenobi dies and Luke feels very bad. Luke goes to Kenobis old mentor, Yoda, and together they train in the harsh terrain of Dagobah. After that Luke is ready and defeats Vader in a fierce battle that takes place in the heart of darkness, the Deathstar.

Rocky = Star wars.

Count Makashi
Only Rocky 1 was great, Rocky 2 is just good, other are crap.

queeq
Good one, Sesse!

General G
Rocky and Apollo are good friends. Then a monsterous inhuman Ivan Drago comes along and challenges Apollo, who fights against him. Apollo dies and Rocky feels very bad. Rocky goes to Apollos old mentor, Duke, and together they train in the harsh terrain of Siberia. After that, Rocky is ready and defeats Drago in a fierce battle that takes place in the heart of darkness, the Soviet Union.

Luke and ObiWan are good friends. Then a monsterous inhuman Darth Vader comes along and challenges Kenobi, who fights agains him. Kenobi dies and Luke feels very bad. Luke goes to Kenobis old mentor, Yoda, and together they train in the harsh terrain of Dagobah. After that Luke is ready and defeats Vader in a fierce battle that takes place in the heart of darkness, the Deathstar.

Rocky = Star wars.

Very nice! laughing out loud

Sith Master X
There were 6 Star wars films, and 6 Rocky films. That's telling ya something. lol

chinabing
It's not disagreeable, its a fact, no better than racism. What was Yoda done to incur your slanderous wrath? Rising interest rates are enough for anyone to do a runner and hide in a swamp.
Rising taxes are why Star Wars exists.

"The taxation of trade routes is in disute."

No rising taxes, no Star Wars.

Sith Master X
At least it set the foundation for it.

ESB -1138

confused

Because if Yoda didn't then Episode V wouldn't have made any sense. You would watch III and see Yoda and Obi-Wan kill Palpatine then V and see Luke going to train with Yoda to defeat Palpatine and you would say, "something ain't right with this picture. Wasn't Luke just making out with his sister?"

Sith Master X
Yep, and as I previously said in the OT section, I can't believe Leia didn't ask for mouth wash when she found that out they were brother/sister in ROTJ. lol

ESB -1138
Yep, and as I previously said in the OT section, I can't believe Leia didn't ask for mouth wash when she found that out they were brother/sister in ROTJ. lol

Because kissing was the least of her concerns then hint, hint.

queeq
Hehehe... one in the oven.

Versyn Gaul
Well if you read the books after Empire is destroyed. where Grand Admiral Thrawn takes over . It explains there was a Very Powerfull Sith That Yoda Killed on Degoba and he had to stay there to contain his force.

Schecter
thats expanded universe and thus irrelevant.

Ymir
Yoda is pretty smart. I think he already had considered the option, but knew that it would likely result in his demise, and Obi-Wan's as well. Given his dialogue about the future of the twins, then one must assume that he also knew that they would need training, protection, and guidance. If Obi-Wan and himself were dead, then who would give Luke all that wise Jedi talk?

Thus, the risk would be too great. Being a prudent, wise person, Yoda chose the cost/benefit option most suitable to his cause.

queeq
And he was so wise he chose... a swamp. Just top have a laugh for the next twenty years being Shrek's and Donkey's neighbour.

Versyn Gaul
Please excuse me. Im new,and I was just offering an explaination. I guess I should not have expected a warm welcome.

Schecter
Originally posted by Versyn Gaul
Please excuse me. Im new,and I was just offering an explaination. I guess I should not have expected a warm welcome.

i dont recall a cold/bitter welcome....?

Versyn Gaul
"thats expanded universe and thus irrelevant" Forgive me if i took that as a snide response . I guess I was bothered by my thread being crossed out about the Quigon thang. But you were kind enough to give me a link to the answer.I misunderstood your intentions smile

Schecter
indeed it wasnt inteded to be a snide comment.
the forum sticky should shed light on the issue of EU and canon in the SW forums concerning the films.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/441810_1-forums-rules-behaviour-spoilers-and-canon-policy-please-read

Ymir
And he was so wise he chose... a swamp. Just top have a laugh for the next twenty years being Shrek's and Donkey's neighbour.

Said swamp had weird force-fu that kept the Emperor from finding him. Call me crazy, but 20 years of Eddie Murphy sounds preferable to being fried by Palpatine... well maybe not. Regardless, he chose Dagobah for a reason.

Versyn Gaul
Danke schecter

Count Makashi
Not Germans, nooooooooooooo.

Versyn Gaul
Jawohl! Deutchland Uber Alles lol

General G
Deutch!!! w00t

Versyn Gaul
Ja Deutches ist gute

Sith Master X

Don't worry about it. smile No one here is better than anyone else.

Tangible God
Speak for yourself.

Schecter
Danke schecter

you're velcome

Sith Master X
Originally posted by Tangible God
Speak for yourself.

I will. No one here is "better" than anyone else. I'm so tired of people on the internet thinking they have some "upper" status. It's sickening. sleepy

Tangible God
Personally, I'm the Lord Jesus Christ, that puts me above General G at least.

Schecter
I will. No one here is "better" than anyone else. I'm so tired of people on the internet thinking they have some "upper" status. It's sickening. sleepy

im sick of clique drama sleepy

he misunderstood me and it is resolved. pack up the drama

ESB -1138

Where else would he go to escape the Emperor? They had to go into hiding. Everything worked out didn't it? The Emperor is dead and Luke became a Jedi. I really don't see why people are complaining about this considering that it worked out.

Tangible God
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Where else would he go to escape the Emperor? They had to go into hiding. Everything worked out didn't it? The Emperor is dead and Luke became a Jedi. I really don't see why people are complaining about this considering that it worked out. He mentions Shrek and Donkey and you take it seriously?

queeq
laughing out loud

General G
He mentions Shrek and Donkey and you take it seriously?

Well, you would be surprised with some people.

ESB -1138
He mentions Shrek and Donkey and you take it seriously?

I'm just saying that Yoda going into exile actually worked out for the entire galaxy. So I don't see what the problem is.

General G
Didn't work out for the Sith...

I don't think there was much of a problem, he just didn't realise that you were not including Shrek and Donkey in your post.

queeq
Who also worked out for the entire galaxy.

overlord
Yoda foresaw that Luke would kill the emperor and everything would work out well without him having to do anything. So he went to dagobah to eat bugs and relax.

General G
Maybe he doesn't like bugs.

queeq
He likes rootleaf.

General G
Get yours today!

queeq
Now with swamp beast jerky free.

Schecter
Originally posted by overlord
Yoda foresaw that Luke would kill the emperor and everything would work out well without him having to do anything. So he went to dagobah to eat bugs and relax.

luke killed the emporer?

MasterAshenVor
OK....after a hard days work I ORDER YALL to sit down relax eat bugs and drink beer smile LIKE YODA!

queeq
Order??? We can order?

Well, in that case, bring us a menu.

MasterAshenVor
DEGOBAH LA'GREEN MENU
--------------------------------------------------------------
Mynock with green sludge 8.00 Credits

Weird Lake Creature with Artoo'lablu cheese....big grin 10.00 Credits

Yoda Skilettes 45.00 Credits (Hard to Catch)

Jawa Juice 45 Cred Coins

Corellian Ail 1.00 Credits

Tatooine Sunburst 5.00 Credits (Full Bottle) 2.00 Credits (Glass)

Dr.Pepper 75 Cred Coins

Mountain Dew 75 Cred Coins

Green Lake Water - Complimentary

Rancor Steak 25.00 Credits

Dewback Sub 6.50 Credits

Krayt Dragon Bureto 10.99 Credits

ENJOY!

master harmax
laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing I miss this place, man !

General G
I would like to order an Ewok that is nice and crispy yet also juicy, although not too burnt.

master harmax
Yoda Skilettes ? How long did it take to come up with that one !?

queeq
laughing out loud

Can I have a Flaming Wookiee? I see you don't have it on the menu.

Count Makashi
You cant possibly eat that much.

queeq
It's not food... it's a drink.

General G
laughing out loud

Count Makashi
Originally posted by Count Makashi
You cant possibly eat that much.

Well excuse me, i am not an alcoholic like some people, lets keep them unnamed. cough-queeq-cough.

General G
Are you ok?

Count Makashi
Why do you ask?

General G
Well, you were coughing, I though I would check.

Count Makashi
I am fine.

General G
Good to hear.

Count Makashi
I didn't know you cared.

queeq
He doesn't.

General G
Exactly. evil face

queeq
Solved.

General G
It's done then.

queeq
THis thread? Well yes. CLOSING

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.