Belle and Sebastian

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solo
mmmmmmmmmmmmhhmmm

manorastroman
i haven't really liked any albums since dear catastrophe--and even that's a stretch--but their EP work is the best of any band i can think of. probably half of my top 15 belle and sebastian songs are off of EP's.

Solo
Lazy Line Painter Jane is damn good. Most of my favorites are off of If You're Feeling Sinister, though.

manorastroman
a celebratory list of brilliant EP tracks from belle and sebastian:

dog on wheels
the state i am in (even though this was also on tigermilk)
string bean jean
belle and sebastian
lazy line painter jane
you made me forget my dreams
a century of fakers
beautiful
winter wooskie
i'm waking up
marx & engels...

...that's a damn fine track record.

i have a sneaking suspicion that the next B&S record will be their best work since arab strap. not sure why.

Whisper
"The Boy With The Arab Strap" is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Bardock42
Hate them...one of the worst bands ever.

2D_MASTER
Honestly, I do not see what people find appealing about his band. To me, their music seems like pretentious, "artsy" music.

vintageSW77
i only heard Step into my office - im ashamed to say but i like that a lot
any reccomendations?

Solo
Originally posted by vintageSW77
i only heard Step into my office - im ashamed to say but i like that a lot
any reccomendations?
Lazy Line Painter Jane, the boy with the arab strap, If She Wants Me, The Boy Done Wrong Again, The State I Am In

manorastroman
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Honestly, I do not see what people find appealing about his band. To me, their music seems like pretentious, "artsy" music.

please, do explain.

2D_MASTER

manorastroman

Bardock42
Oh...by the way...I didnt listen to them ever...just thought...it would be funny

Solo
i was gonna say, one of the worst bands ever? that's a bit harsh. give them a try sometime.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Solo
i was gonna say, one of the worst bands ever? that's a bit harsh. give them a try sometime.

My last.fm constantly recommends them.

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by manorastroman
.....sebastian song, i think it's safe to say that you don't "get it". get it?

Oh see, as I expected, another band that only an elite few can "get". That is just fawking rich.

stuart murdoch is lyrically brilliant, melodically talented, and twee as ****. what a guy.

You're entitled to your opinion ,I think he is a musical invalid.

2D_MASTER
not to be overly contentious, but belle and sebastian have almost nothing in common with the velvet underground.

Just because YOU cant see it, does not mean the OBVIOUS influence is'nt there. They even covered "sunday morning" for crying out loud. I am sure any other Belle and Sebastian fan would have no problem siting Velvet underground as primary B & S influence.
(sorry that i double posted, I'm a fawk-up)

manorastroman
please. explain what elements of the velvet underground are present in belle and sebastian. i see a little bit of "loaded", but that's not the sound people generally associate with velvet underground.

the "it" isn't exactly complicated. the guitar playing IS primitive, the vocals ARE thin and wimpy. that's the point. think beat happening or any other twee/lo-fi band. moreover, belle and sebastian fans haven't been an elite few since dear catastrophe. you want to talk "elite few", that's cool blue halo fans. or cub fans. or 14 iced bears fans. belle is actually pretty big.

Solo
hey, astroman, whatd you think of peter bjorn and john's writer's block?

yvonekarate
Love their music. Became a great fan of them when I saw Teachers (UK). Great music.

Regards, Yvonne

manorastroman
hey, astroman, whatd you think of peter bjorn and john's writer's block?

i think it's pretty great. definitely their best work. the production is a little noisy/muddled, but the songs are choice. the whistled melody in young folks is already pretty legendary, and let's call it off is incredibly catchy.

Solo
yeah, i never really enjoyed it much until lately. other than the songs mentioned up against the wall is very catchy. cant stop listening to it.

2D_MASTER
please. explain what elements of the velvet underground are present in belle and sebastian. i see a little bit of "loaded", but that's not the sound people generally associate with velvet underground.

Ok well if it is'nt obvious to you, I will explain key obvious key elements that occur in both bands:

Integration of "classical" instuments with acoustic guitar.
Vocal/lyric centric songs
the use of simple major keys and simple 4/4 timing.
Contrast of acoustic strumming accomanied by electric guitar picking.
Male and female vocal harmonies.

It's pretty obvious that they are influenced by the Velvet underground. Now, I never claimed that B & S's only influence was Velvet underground. Like I said they have covered velvet underground .

the "it" isn't exactly complicated. the guitar playing IS primitive, the vocals ARE thin and wimpy. that's the point. think beat happening or any other twee/lo-fi band. moreover, belle and sebastian fans haven't been an elite few since dear catastrophe. you want to talk "elite few", that's cool blue halo fans. or cub fans. or 14 iced bears fans. belle is actually pretty big.

I know the guitar playing is primative and the vocals are "whimpy", that's why I said something to that nature. The thing is, they are horrible song writers. Also, Belle and Sebastian have because well known within a sub-culture of people, it seems like any "artsy" and "indie" arsehole out there loves them, still not a mainstream band though. So yeah it seems that only an ELITE few can appreciate them, like iv'e heard so many times in this forum. Now you can continue trying to convince me that they are awesome and innovative all you want. My OPINION still stands, Belle and Sebastian are nothing special, nothing new, nothing great.

manorastroman
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Integration of "classical" instuments with acoustic guitar.
Vocal/lyric centric songs
the use of simple major keys and simple 4/4 timing.
Contrast of acoustic strumming accomanied by electric guitar picking.
Male and female vocal harmonies.

do you know how many bands use these elements from the same era as the velvets? i still say burt bacharach was a more key influence.

i'm not arguing that belle and sebastian is innovative. i'm just saying that they have great melodies and fantastic lyrics.

2D_MASTER
do you know how many bands use these elements from the same era as the velvets? i still say burt bacharach was a more key influence.

That's why I called them obvious ones. You said that belle and sebastian were nothing like velvet underground, I just provided obvious similarites.
Well i did'nt disagree with your Burt Bacharach claim, you said Velvet Underground was'nt a key influence.

i'm not arguing that belle and sebastian is innovative. i'm just saying that they have great melodies and fantastic lyrics.
Well good for you, I think they do no have "great melodies" and as fanastic lyrics" maybe, but definately not fanastic vocals. That's all I'm saying.

Bardock42
mmmmmmmmmmmmhhmmm Recently got Tigermilk and The Boy With The Arab Strap and I quite love it. At the moment they are my favourite band to listen to. Some awesome music.

Eon Blue
I have yet to check them out, but have been wanting to for some time now.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.