How do you know when your in a Cult?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Caps Conscience
Back when I was a brainwashed religious fanatic I was in a cult. One of the biggest things to watch out for is when the leadership acts as if salvation can only be achieved in there church or whatever you want to call it. I will add more stuff as the discussion unfolds.

Shakyamunison
That would describe most fundamentalist Christian groups.

Caps Conscience
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
That would describe most fundamentalist Christian groups.

Ding ding ding we have winner.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Caps Conscience
Ding ding ding we have winner.

What do I win?... What do I get?... Happy Dance

JesusIsAlive
Back when I was a brainwashed religious fanatic I was in a cult. One of the biggest things to watch out for is when the leadership acts as if salvation can only be achieved in there church or whatever you want to call it. I will add more stuff as the discussion unfolds.

You got that right, that is why I tell people the Truth: salvation has nothing to do with church because it is based soley on faith in the Lord Jesus, Who is called Christ.

big grin

Regret
How do you know when you're in a Cult? It's easy all of the misguided fools in the world start calling your beliefs and the religion you belong to a Cult.

A Cult is really just a small group of religious people, there's nothing wrong with being in one.

Caps Conscience
Originally posted by Regret
It's easy all of the misguided fools in the world start calling your beliefs and the religion you belong to a Cult.

A Cult is really just a small group of religious people, there's nothing wrong with being in one.

Except for the fact that your every action is going to be controlled if you let the leadership do it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bardock42
It's easy all of the misguided fools in the world start calling your beliefs and the religion you belong to a Cult.

A Cult is really just a small group of religious people, there's nothing wrong with being in one. Oh I see you accepted Mormons are a cult hug

Symmetric Chaos
When your religion has no influence?

Because that the only literal difference between cults and religions.

Regret
Originally posted by Bardock42
Oh I see you accepted Mormons are a cult hug Lol, and mainstream Christianity is a Cult, and Islam, and...and...and...

JesusIsAlive
Lol, and mainstream Christianity is a Cult, and Islam, and...and...and...

No mainstream Christianity is not a cult (but perhaps certain sects or denominations are), we don't believe Jesus and lucifer are blood brothers.

big grin

Regret
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
No mainstream Christianity is not a cult (but perhaps certain sects or denominations are), we don't believe Jesus and lucifer are blood brothers.

big grin Lol, mainstream Christianity is the most successful Cult. Beliefs don't make a cult a cult, a cult makes a cult a cult.

Nellinator
Really you are just arguing that the word cult should be synonymous with religion... just the long winded way.

Regret
Originally posted by Nellinator
Really you are just arguing that the word cult should be synonymous with religion... just the long winded way. It is synonymous from the perspective of anyone that disagrees with said religion. Cult is not necessarily a negatively connotated term.

Nellinator
So your answer is yes. I hate all this long winded, beat around the bush stuff people have been doing lately. It's annoying and useless.

JesusIsAlive
Lol, mainstream Christianity is the most successful Cult. Beliefs don't make a cult a cult, a cult makes a cult a cult.

No, beliefs, doctrine, and activity within an organization determines whether it is a cult or not.

Caps Conscience
Though I don't agree with much of Xianity, the word cult speaks more to the specific group then the religion.

Storm
The term has become almost pejorative. It serves as a label for any religious group which has little power, and is not widely liked by more mainstream religious believers.

Goddess Kali
I was taught that a Cult is a group of people who take a specific aspect or portion of a greater religion, and focus on that one aspect or portion, while disregarding the rest.

If this is the true definition of a cult, then Mormons are not a cult, even though other people define them as one.

Like for example, if a group of Christians focus solely on the blood of Christ, for whatever reason, and idolize the blood as a symbol, and as a means of their actions and beleifs...then they are a cult...

but i duno....i dont really care about this kind of topic

Strangelove
you're

that is all

Scythe
Cults are highly needed in society...

Regret
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
No, beliefs, doctrine, and activity within an organization determines whether it is a cult or not. Rofl, no. Religious zealots that believe and act like this person, his moniker on this forum is JesusIsAlive, are what make a cult (using the negative connotation of the term here) a cult (again, using the negative connotation of the term here.)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.