Mercer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gideon
After watching DMC again and then AWE, I have to say that I have a greater appreciation for Mercer: the man's a badass, as far as silent, evil henchmen are concerned. I could make a whole list; every single scene in which he is featured, he is either killing or intimidating someone. No time for humor or comic relief; just killing. Does anyone else think similarly?

JaehSkywalker
i never see him did anything funny.. yes... yeah.. real evil in movie sense.

Gideon
That's what I mean. He was irredeemable . He doesn't exude humor. Just... well... death. To me, villains in movies make the movies themselves. If Pirates didn't have a decent villain, not even Johnny Depp would have saved it for me.

JaehSkywalker
Mercer is the real villain in there. he didn't show any heart, everytime he was being shown, he is, yes, intimidating someone, barking orders, or killing. he wasn't really noticed that much, but its kinda.. good(for the movie) in a sense that there is someone who is just all work and no time for games.

IheartPocky
He's pretty cool. I love how Beckett does all the talking and Mercer does all the dirty work.

Gideon
Well, I wouldn't say he's 'the real villain'. Beckett most definately is the uber-baddie of the series; he's not funny insomuch as sarcastic. All that Mercer does is on Beckett's orders, anyways. That said, I made this thread to honor the time-tried, underappreciated Evil Henchman, which Mercer most definately is. Best vicious thug I've ever seen in a movie.

willofthewisp
And he died a death truly befitting of his evilness, don't you agree?

JaehSkywalker
lol, i wasn't saying he was the real real villain, if you know what i mean.. i meant, for an evil henchman he just follows and follows the orders and does the job done and right whatever it is. yes, he is the best vicious thug.

yep, beckett was the baddest. his sarcasm is kinda funny. (yes, i find sarcasm funny sometimes).

Gideon
Yeah, exactly. I was talking to my friend about this; Beckett's primary power/skill in the movies is his ability to manipulate others. He pits one character against another, like Emperor Palpatine without the Force, lol. I loved it how he was secretly making deals with everybody in the movies, not caring which ones took precedence, and planning to stab everyone in the back, regardless.

Mercer, on the other hand, does the dirty work and has helluva time doing it.

Yup. I was pleased with Mercer's death. Beckett's death, actually, took the longest time and was very anticlimactic. He essentially had a break down, when he could have sunk the Pearl and at least dealt a major blow to the Dutchman. But I assume it was a metaphor; his plans went to the toilet.

ivebeendepped43
Mercer is just a freakin b----- thats all i have to say

willofthewisp
Lol, wonder if he killed anyone when he followed Liz to Tortuga. If I didn't think he was gay, I'd say he was the kind of guy that rented prostitutes just to kill them. But yeah, I was so happy another villain killed him and not one of the heroes. It almost makes him that much more elusive and mysterious.

Gideon
I don't think Mercer was gay; I think there have been several subtle hints that Beckett was at least bi-sexual, though. The way he he spoke to Jack, the rather homo way of waving that damn fan, the mysterious nature of the "mark" Jack left on him , and that really small... gun.

...That said, Beckett and Mercer are still badass villains. Beckett and Mercer remind me of Emperor Palpatine and Darth Maul from Star Wars. Beckett is the more evil of the two, but - like Palpatine - he's not always engaging in evil acts. He's polite, sarcastic, and manipulates others more than outright slaughtering them. Mercer, on the other hand, is always engaging in some sort of villainous act, he's a man of little words (like Maul), and he's pretty much dedicated to his master's cause. They were a really good evil tag-team and I wished more was explored.

But Mercer, to me, is the ultimate evil henchman. Vader and Maul can kiss my ass. The way he shot that Asian twin, and her sister gave Mercer the 'I'm-gonna-kill-you-painfully' look. Then later it shows him pulling a metal chopstick from his shoulder, standing victorious over the surviving twin, before shooting her. He was also in a position to kill Will Turner, he put DAVY JONES back in his place, and stood toe-to-toe with Barbossa.

willofthewisp
Lol, it's just a little inside joke I have. Mercer does Beckett's bidding because he's evil, not because he lives to make Beckett happy. It just seems like they would be quite the couple....lol.

I see a Palpatine/Maul thing there, too.

IheartPocky
I think Mercer isn't anything lol. This is my diagnosis from watching Criminal Minds:

He is a psycho dude that is incapable of feeling love!

willofthewisp
Very true, a sadist if ever there was one.

Gideon
Definately. But that's what makes him so cool.

potcphreak
Could someone please remind me how Mercer dies? I am drawing a complete blank on this one.

Tramps Lady
davy puts his tenties in his mouth and ovr his face

potcphreak
Originally posted by Tramps Lady
davy puts his tenties in his mouth and ovr his face

Oh yeah, I forgot that Jones strangled him. Thanks.

willofthewisp
But it's so gruesome and amazing!

Council#13
I think that Mercer was a cool character, but I didn't like him that much. As was already stated, he wasn't there as a comic relief: he was all business. He must've been a good fighter to have dueled and survived Barbossa, and I don't think that he deserved his death, even if he was evil.

Gideon
To be particularly honest, when I watched Dead Man's Chest, I didn't expect either Beckett or Mercer to die. The second movie portrayed Beckett to be an arrogant prick who is willing to kill people if absolutely necessary, but in the third movie, he's suspending civil liberties and orchestrating mass executions. AWE made him more evil than what I thought he was in DMC.

As for Mercer, I think he pretty much had the coolest death. It was a gruesome, vicious death that befits his evil character, unlike Beckett, who had a climactic death, but they made it the most dramatic death in any of the movies. Hell, more time and effort was put into Beckett's demise than even Will's or Jack's.

siriuswriter
I actually didn't like Mercer's death - I thought it was too gruesome. I mean, the tentacle coming out of his nose? Blech.

Well, perhaps I should amend that. I did like (maybe that's not the right word here...)... um... I thought his death was befitting... but I didn't think they ought to have showed it.

The death of Mercer showed that Davy Jones was finally able to let loose his rage... and that Mercer was getting his comeuppance for his mindless murders, but I really didn't think it was necessary to show all that, at that length and detail.

Anyway.

I sort of saw the Beckett/Mercer relationship as a very macabre Pinky and the Brain sort of thing. Very macabre. As in, "What are we going to do tonight, Beckett?" "What we do every night, Mercer. We're going to take over the world. And, as usual, you're going to have to kill a few people." "All roight."

siriuswriter
Sorry, didn't mean to post this... smile

Gideon
Lol. Mercer was such a badass. I mean, here's a fifty-year-old man dressed in black all the time, but kicking more ass than people half his age. He's like Barbossa in that respect. Except he's more cutthroat and much more intimidating. When villains convey a sense of humor, they humanize themselves in a way. Even Beckett, you realize that as long as you stay useful to the guy, he's not going to kill you. Barbossa was humorous, too. You have the idea that if you were ever confronted by these guys, they might kill you, they might not.

...But there is no humor or any 'redeeming' quality with Mercer. All he does is kill.

AudioHeart
Never really did like Mercer

Gideon
Originally posted by AudioHeart
Never really did like Mercer

Understandable. Never really did anything likeable, eh?

LoveJackSparrow
Mercers death..........gruesome, it was horrible( as in his death was great but i mean for him) The way davy jones killed him. I kinda closed my eyes at that part but I saw most of it.
Becketts death..........heroic, he went down with his ship as most captains would do.
Wills death: It was fantastic! (Just kidding!) I felt bad for him it must have hurt the way davy jones killed him with his sword!

AudioHeart
Originally posted by Gideon
Understandable. Never really did anything likeable, eh?

Aye! - I was quite happy when he died actually, he's always seemed a bit evil...like even more evil than all the other "bad" people...not to mention I find him a bit scary confused

Ericadawn
Yeah, I really didn't like Mercer...he lynched Lizzie's dad...but his death was totally disgusting. I would have been fine with simple choking or just throw him overboard.

Gideon
This is true, but Mercer = badass.

ladygrim
Originally posted by Gideon
After watching DMC again and then AWE, I have to say that I have a greater appreciation for Mercer: the man's a badass, as far as silent, evil henchmen are concerned. I could make a whole list; every single scene in which he is featured, he is either killing or intimidating someone. No time for humor or comic relief; just killing. Does anyone else think similarly? yeah ! i had a wierd liking to him not in a looks way but his cunningness & evilness big grin

potcfan2003
I didn't even know who Mercer was till I came on this, but now that I know who he is, I don't like him, and although I thought his death was fitting, I almost gagged when I watched it.

willofthewisp
But do you love to hate him, potcfan? laughing The performance is pretty intense.

potcfan2003
it's like malfoy in HP- you have to hate him but you love to hate him...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.