An Observation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bruce Leeroy
This is a personal observation that I'm making, so don't read too much into it I guess.

M'kay. I would like it if some of you guys can just list off the top of his head (No need to google search or anything, this is a pretty borad topic) events of persecution and murder/mass killings in the name of god, done by Catholics.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Bruce Leeroy
This is a personal observation that I'm making, so don't read too much into it I guess.

M'kay. I would like it if some of you guys can just list off the top of his head (No need to google search or anything, this is a pretty borad topic) events of persecution and murder/mass killings in the name of god, done by Catholics.

The Crusades, Spanish Inquisitions, etc.

AngryManatee
I wouldn't call it murder/mass suicide, but 700 year war between Spanish and Moors.

Nellinator
Originally posted by AngryManatee
I wouldn't call it murder/mass suicide, but 700 year war between Spanish and Moors. That was more than religion though. That was political and territorial... for the first few hundred years at least.

M'kay. I would like it if some of you guys can just list off the top of his head (No need to google search or anything, this is a pretty borad topic) events of persecution and murder/mass killings in the name of god, done by Catholics. The Crusades (1-6 only) and the Spanish Inquisition are all that spring to mind right now.

AngryManatee
Originally posted by Nellinator
That was more than religion though. That was political and territorial... for the first few hundred years at least.

It was religious fervor that kept them going. Religious belief was what brought back the Spaniards from almost losing in the beginning. They even had warrior monks that would patrol the frontera (this was of course when they finally began to fight back with as much veracity as the Moors).

Bruce Leeroy
M'kay, thanks.

Now, can you guys post some Islamic-related murders/ persecutions that are done in the name of Allah? Again, just off the top of your head.

JesusIsAlive
M'kay, thanks.

Now, can you guys post some Islamic-related murders/ persecutions that are done in the name of Allah? Again, just off the top of your head.

Holy Wars.

Boris
Whats the point of this?

Everyone knows that religion can cause mass death, and yes, those two particular religions are way ahead on the killing of others.

Schecter
the difference between mass slaughters in the name of god:

catholics: look them up in history books

evangelicals: pick up todays newspaper

fini
heck if evangelicals were around back from the 1000's and upwards, I think they would have wiped out every single person in the Americas, Africa and lots in Asia.

Boris
Interesting point, Evangelical Christians having the power that the Catholic church had years ago.

Would have been even darker times.

fini
lol, FORGET us having internet.......... it would have never happened.

Schecter
Originally posted by Boris
Interesting point, Evangelical Christians having the power that the Catholic church had years ago.

Would have been even darker times.

i dont know if it would have been more or less dark. my point was that the oppressive catholic regime is history while the brutal evangelical crusades are present day.

debbiejo
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
The Crusades, Spanish Inquisitions, etc. Yeah, they started it but then the Protestants picked it up later on.......Same ol, same ol.

finti
nah same "original" book same result

fini
true eh.

Shakyamunison

Interesting, but what is your point?

lil bitchiness
M'kay, thanks.

Islamic invasion of Persia, Indian holocaust, ( Armenian genocide? Dunno if you wanna count that)

Alliance

"heretics" were frequently burned/executed.

Nice places to start would be the Inquisition, church policies during the crusades, and the children's crusade.

Nellinator
"Nice" is an inappropriate adjective in this instance don't you think?

Alliance
nah, i rather like it.

Mindship
I would like it if some of you guys can just list...events of persecution and murder/mass killings in the name of god, done by Catholics.

Now, can you guys post some Islamic-related murders/ persecutions that are done in the name of Allah?
So, who wins?

inimalist
In a theocracy, can't nationalism be confused with religious motivations?

Bicnarok
There were none done in the name of GOD, because God would never have supported it.

Catholicism is a power hungry sect, not a Christian religion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.