Beckett's death scene

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gideon
Out of curiosity, did anyone here enjoy or despise Beckett's death scene? Thoughts?

~dorkerina~
I liked it, but had to laugh at what appeared to be a self exploding banister.... laughing

oh, and did anyone else notice that he actually has really pretty eyes?

Gideon
Lol.

Well, I suppose I didn't find it as... well... befitting. Beckett didn't display any sympathetic qualities about him to deserve such a 'serene' death . Davy Jones had moments of sympathy, and so when he died, it was understandable. But, compare Beckett's death to that of his henchman, Mercer, who was butchered by Jones. Beckett's death scene was, to me, the most dramatic of all of them, and more effort seemed to be put into it than Will's or Jack's.

...And I'm also curious as to why he didn't give his men the order to fire. Yeah, he'd have still likely died, since he couldn't sink the Dutchman, but he could have definately put the Pearl under. That, or at least, he could have abandoned ship.

IheartPocky
I loved it. And I suppose he does have nice eyes hehe

IheartPocky
he didn't order his men to shoot cause he was in shock. he had been in control the whole time. but now he wasn't and... he was shocked with it all.. heh heh

POTCrazy
I thought his death was great espec when his body landed on the EITC company flag which was in the water, that was good thinkin lol

~dorkerina~
I kinda liked how he went down with the ship....

~dorkerina~
Originally posted by IheartPocky
I loved it. And I suppose he does have nice eyes hehe

reeealy blue

i can't help but admire them... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Surreal_44
I'm torn about Beckett's death. On the one hand it is beautiful, very artsy and a great scene to watch.

On the other hand, Beckett was an utter bastard and probably should have died a more horrible death than what he did, and it seemed to take longer than it should have. I understand he's the ultimate bad guy, but he got way more screen time than other important characters.

siriuswriter
I liked it very much.

Throughout the whole of Beckett's evilness, we see him being able to come up with witty, evil comments at the drop of a hat.

His last one is, "It's nothing personal, it's just good business."

And as soon as he realizes the Flying Dutchman has turned against him, and his sailors are looking to him for commands, all he can do is repeat that.

"... good... business... just... good business..."

Poetic justice. big grin

Mrahahah.

Gideon
Actually, Surreal, Beckett didn't get a lot of screen time to begin with. His death scene was the longest out of anyone else's, but other than that, he was one of those characters who have little time with the camera around them, yet their influence is major.

PirateDiva
It was just GOOD BUISNESS!!! smile

but in the Pit of my Stomach i feel that Beckett didnt Die!

~dorkerina~
T.T Me too.

Lol, I love him as a bad guy, in all his 'little dog syndrome'-ness

Besides, I like short guys, they have a special place in my heart.
happy

Like Marty. cool

hkitty
There was debris flying everywhere, so I was wondering how he wasn't getting smacked in the head as he walked oh so calmly down the stairs and whatnot.

SammySparrow
I think he was saying: 'WTF! I had control over that ship!' Saw the new captain was like 'oh....'

willofthewisp
I like his crazy moment, but the actual death sucks to me. I was all about revenge. I wanted Jack or Liz or Will to run him through. I wanted them to get their vengeance and for Beckett to suffer a little more.

hkitty
Yeah, Beckett's death was an almost honorable, "the captain goes down with the ship" kind of thing. I agree that it doesn't really suit his character.

PirateDiva
Originally posted by willofthewisp
I like his crazy moment, but the actual death sucks to me. I was all about revenge. I wanted Jack or Liz or Will to run him through. I wanted them to get their vengeance and for Beckett to suffer a little more.

Ya i really thought that Liz would go crazy on his a$$....but oh wellz!!

Ya he didnt suffer enough which is why i still believe Beckett is not Dead!! lol....Mercer is Dead and he died a nasty death, but i doubt Beckett is dead!

ivebeendepped43
Originally posted by ~dorkerina~
I liked it, but had to laugh at what appeared to be a self exploding banister.... laughing

oh, and did anyone else notice that he actually has really pretty eyes? i noticed that his mouth twitches...

Gideon
I prefer the accolades of classic, truthful heroes. Vengeance isn't a trait befitting a true hero. Justice is, however, and if that happens to sate your thirst for vengeance, then I suppose you've nailed two birds with one stone. Only in rare instances is it "cool" or enjoyable for me to watch a hero get 'revenge' in a particularly ruthless manner. What separates them from the villain?

...Besides, I doubt Beckett would have been in a position to suffer. Will, Jack, and 'Liz are all really lucky that Beckett didn't just decide to send the entire fleet in, otherwise the last we'd see of Cap'n Jack Sparrow would be as a flesh rug in Beckett's cabin.

He was in a position to kick some major, thorough ass, yet he did the cocky thing and paid for it.

willofthewisp
That's an interesting point, Gideon. I think to balance what I said with what you said, would you agree a swordfight between Beckett and one of the heroes would be just? If they killed Beckett in defense of their own life?

I just didn't like the fact he was given this larger-than-life death scene. It was almost like they were trying to make him sympathetic. Also, if the protagonists are pirates, I don't think they fit the mold of the classical hero.

Gideon
Certainly; heroes, in the process of their adventurers, will be confronted by foes whom they will have to kill, or be killed themselves. An actual fight with Beckett and killing him would be a measure of self defense. Which, of course, could be extrapolated to be the reason behind their assault on the Endeavour. Beckett was in command of a situation, and in a position to rather easily crush Jack, Will, and everyone whom he didn't like...

...'til the Dutchman came along.

As far as the 'pirates' are concerned, yes, Disney has put a bit of a colorful spin on such a dishonorable trade. I'm certain that Pirates like Jack Sparrow were few and far between. No, Jack and Will are both anti-heroes. Both have done heroic things, yup. But both of them have committed some very serious... well... "sins", I suppose, without any display of remorse.

That is what defines a hero. A hero isn't perfect. Hell, even in Star Wars, the heroes get duped and manipulated by the villains all the time. They kill, they fight. But they do it because they have to, not because they just want to. Heroes are supposed to be flawed. The difference is, a true hero eventually confesses that he made a mistake, and does what he can to amend it.

The heroes of Pirates aren't really heroes because they seem to enjoy what they do. I'm not defending Beckett, either. Hell, the man was a sociopathic monster who likely had to have been killed in order to stop him. But I'm not the type of person who enjoys it when heroes kill. I enjoy when villains kill in movies because that is what they are supposed to do.

That said, don't get me wrong. Characters like Jack and Will are much more interesting than most 'do-gooders', and much more fun to watch. But are they truly heroes? I hardly think so.

willofthewisp
See, the way I define a hero is someone who selflessly commits an act of bravery for a higher purpose. If you use that, then I would say that Jack, Will, and Elizabeth are heroes. I think you and I are agreed they're the protagonists, of course. But are they heroes? I would say yes. They are each other's heroes.

COTBP:
1. Elizabeth takes the coin from Will to protect him. It's a small act, but she is putting someone else above herself. For a child, that's usually a hard thing to do.

2. Jack saves Elizabeth from drowning, putting himself at risk to be caught. He didn't know who she was or that she would argue for him to be released. He just didn't want someone to drown.

3. Will risks death to save Elizabeth when he reveals he's the son of Bootstrap Bill. He would have shot himself rather than have her hurt (and worse) by Barbossa and his crew. Is that not acting heroically?

4. Elizabeth goes back for Will and Jack all on her own without the help of any of the pirates. She could probably die since she has never shot a gun or lifted a sword at this time, but she goes back for them to help. That is an act of heroism.

DMC

True, all the characters are more selfish here and their anti-hero status starts shining through even brighter, lol. But there is a lot of heroism going on, just in a quieter form.

1. From a certain point of view, Elizabeth confronting Beckett and then traveling to Tortuga is an act of heroism. She wants to find Will and make sure he's safe. She does a few acts of piracy on her way, but it's for someone she loves. She is braving arrest, rape, kidnapping, and all the random criminal acts that occur on Tortuga.

2. Jack comes back. It is probably one of the two most heroic things he does. T&T believe the compass is pointing to land when he is in the longboat and that he gives up what he wants to face the enemy with his friends.

AWE

James Norrington: We haven't talked about him much, but he saves Elizabeth and it is one of the most selfless things any of them do. He could have furthered his career (and life) by keeping her prisoner, but he frees them.

Jack lets Will stab the heart so he can live. Once again, Jack gives up what he wants (immortality) to help his friends.

So, maybe Jack, Will, and Liz aren't your mainstream heroes, but they are each other's heroes. Their lives depend on one another and it is through their courage that the others live.

willofthewisp
So back to Beckett, I guess I'm saying he just got off too easy. It would have even been fine with me had King George or whoever the king is at this time found him and tried him for treason and all that stuff and he languished in prison. I just think they romanticized his death whereas a sympathetic character like Swann got about 7 minutes of screen time without a death scene at all and Norrington, well, nearly all his screen time was his death and he acted heroically and died doing a brave thing: resisting the temptation to work for Davy Jones. So why does the arch villain get a romantic, haunting death? Just not understanding.

Gideon
The scene itself was a masterpiece. But, yes, Beckett had the most serene, haunting death of the lot of them, and he was the vicious bastard who caused most of the problems.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.