Grant Morrison vs. Joss Whedon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
In what ways, is the respective writer a better writer than the other writer?

Characterization?
Plot?
Themes?
Foreshadowing?
Heroes?
Villains?
Dialogue?
Prose?

For example, I think Joss Whedon excels at characterization. He can make any character instantly "characterized"with a single spoken sentence from the said character.

Skeets
Geoff Johns.

ExodusCloak
Talking from an X-Men perspective, I think Joss wins when it comes to characterisation, prose, foreshadowing and dialogue. Morrison had a total disregard for continuity. He had his pros and cons...For instance equating Emma Frost to Paris Hilton was a big no no for me. That's one of the few things I hated about his run. But then again he brought bitchy Emma back to the X-Men and came up with the mass orgasm thing so I can't really complain. She had her good and bad days in his run. The whole Drug Addict Nazi Magneto thing was a bit extreme IMO. He made the Phoenix/Jean thing even more convoluted. Plus he created characters like Beak and Angel but I can forgive him for that since he also created Cassandra Nova and the Cuckoos. The psychic affair and Gladiator peeing in his pants were high points for me.

Joss' weak points are villians but I really don't have a problem with crappy villains since his characterisation of the X-Men is so good. I like his plot pacing but most people don't so I guess that's another one of his weaknesses.

Overall I'd say Joss is better, well I'm enjoying AXM more then NXM...and the art being an improvement helps as well. Plus Claremont has little say about the core X-Books so that also makes a major difference.

Morrisons New X-Men manifesto was an interesting read.

Oh and Colourful Spandex >>>> Then Black Leather...what were you thinking Grant.

TricksterPriest
Sadly, Morrison seems incapable of writing a really good Xmen story most of the time. But....his JLA is among the best runs I've ever seen. thumb up The whole thing leading up to Mageddon and the various other stories, like Rock of ages, Obsidian Age, those are brilliant. big grin

Grimm22
Morrison is a good writer, but sometimes his stuff gets a bit too artsy for me.

For instance some of his work on New X-Men and Batman is just a bit too melodramatic.

However, All-Star Superman is one of the best comics i've read in a long time so i'll forgive him.

Grimm22
Originally posted by ExodusCloak

Oh and Colourful Spandex >>>> Then Black Leather...what were you thinking Grant.

It was the early 00's, give the guy a break stick out tongue

Besides, thats not nearly as bad as when he tried to make Beast gay, but then ended up retconning it a few issues later because he realized it was one of the worst ideas he's ever had

CasanoVa
Joss is consistent.

Morrison isn't.

Joss, pretty easily.

Martian_mind
Whedons AX is astonishing,but Morrisons JLA was spectacular.

hard to call.

llagrok
Not too happy with the way CN took care of the Superguardians, that was just wrong. However, I think Morrison's run on the New x-men was a good one, if only they hadn't killed off Jean once more.

Whedon takes him 7/10 big grin

ExodusCloak
Jean getting killed off was something that should have occured and remained 30 years ago, so I never really had a problem with that. Biggest problem with it IMO was that he left it open for Jeans return...she should become the Gwen Stacey of the X-Men.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Jean getting killed off was something that should have occured and remained 30 years ago, so I never really had a problem with that. Biggest problem with it IMO was that he left it open for Jeans return...she should become the Gwen Stacey of the X-Men.

You mean retcon the story so she's ****ing Mr. Sinister? naughty

Rainbow Kiss
Originally posted by CasanoVa
Joss is consistent.

Morrison isn't.

Joss, pretty easily.

You cant really make that kind of comparisson until Joss Wheeldon has done nearly the same amount of work Grant Morisson has.

CasanoVa
Originally posted by Rainbow Kiss
You cant really make that kind of comparisson until Joss Wheeldon has done nearly the same amount of work Grant Morisson has.

That's true, Grant has done alot more work than Whedon has. I prefer Whedon though, he manages to get the characterisation of the characters he's writing spot on IMO.

Edit- There are a few exceptions to this though, Grant Morrison has stints where he's absolutely awesome and then others when he's a bit "meh".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.