God's Love Is Limitted and Conditional

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
What you fail to understand is that God's love and mercy will only be extended in this life, not in the life to come.

Then his love and mercy are entirely limitted and conditional by your own admittance.

You must repent of your sins now before you die because once you die it is too late to ask God for forgiveness of your sins.

God's forgiveness is limitted then by your own admittance.

JesusIsAlive
God's love is not limited but humanity's life-span is.

big grin

Goddess Kali
God's love is not limited but humanity's life-span is.

big grin

God's Love is Limitted to Humanity's Life Span

God's Forgiveness is Limitted to Humanity's Life Span

God's Mercy is Limitted to Humanity's Life Span

Boris
God is stupid.

siriuswriter
Please remember that this is only JIA's interpretation of Christianity...

Darth Macabre
Of course it is.

Goddess Kali
i know, im just bringing up a point....

If people are going to Hell, then God's Love is conditional..I am attacking a Christian Theory, not Christianity in general wink

Boris
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
I am attacking a Christian Theory, not Christianity in general wink

Pitty about that, it really should be attacked.

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by Boris
Pitty about that, it really should be attacked.

laughing

aw come on...Christianity has certainly improved over the centuries

siriuswriter
I beg to differ, Boris.

I know Goddess Kali. wink

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I beg to differ, Boris.

I know Goddess Kali. wink

laughing

Alliance
laughing

aw come on...Christianity has certainly improved over the centuries

Then realize where its regressions are limited too and quit making useless spam that is specifically designed to attack one member.

Goddess Kali
This is not spam, or a personal attack on JIA.

this thread is valid, because JIA brought up a really good point....and he is not the only person who argues this.

Many Christian debators on KMC will claim that God's love is absolute, eternal, and infinite, yet will have much trouble explaining how and why there is a time limit to his forgiveness.

If any Christian can explain this, please do so.

Symmetric Chaos
Many Christian debators on KMC will claim that God's love is absolute, eternal, and infinite, yet will have much trouble explaining how and why there is a time limit to his forgiveness.

If any Christian can explain this, please do so.

God's love is eternal because in Christianity death isn't really death. It is merely a step into the next stage of life.

In some belief systems even if one is sent to hell there is a point at which such punishment is sufficient and God recieves the person who had been cast out.

siriuswriter
When I argue that God's love in absolute and unconditonal, my definition of this is both of time and space. God loves us so much here on earth - he gives us free will; he allows us to think; he has given us a brain with which to do these things. The very fact that we discuss "Do we have free will?" is a mark that God has given it to us.

God's love is also unconditional and absolute through time. Since I believe in Universalism (no one shall be sent to hell) I believe that God sent Jesus to die for everyone, and not just those that ask for it. Some people are incapabe of "asking for it" - the mentally challenged, for example. I don't think that God would condemn them just because they don't understand what "asking Jesus into their hearts" (evangelical terminology, not mine) means. That's actually what first started me thinking along the lines of Universalism - how many exceptions there would have to be to "Judgement."

At any rate. God's love does not stop with time, since Christians believe in an afterlife, and those who go to heaven continue to receive the glory of God's love. (And that's another vague phrase, isn't it? When I say that, I mean all the good things in life - which is to me, being able to think freely and critically, question, etc.)

I believe that God's love makes him understanding and, well, quite liberal. I believe that his love doesn't make him condemn people for their genetics-induced sexual orientation, for example. I don't think God would condemn you for something you can't help. That's not judgement -that's lunacy.

... and again I've managed to sound like a flower child. I hope I've managed to answer some of your questions, at least from my perspective, Goddess Kali.

Shakyamunison
Then his love and mercy are entirely limitted and conditional by your own admittance.

God's forgiveness is limitted then by your own admittance.

The Christian god is limited, therefore "his" love would also be limited.

BobbyD
When I argue that God's love in absolute and unconditonal, my definition of this is both of time and space. God loves us so much here on earth - he gives us free will; he allows us to think; he has given us a brain with which to do these things. The very fact that we discuss "Do we have free will?" is a mark that God has given it to us.

God's love is also unconditional and absolute through time. Since I believe in Universalism (no one shall be sent to hell) I believe that God sent Jesus to die for everyone, and not just those that ask for it. Some people are incapabe of "asking for it" - the mentally challenged, for example. I don't think that God would condemn them just because they don't understand what "asking Jesus into their hearts" (evangelical terminology, not mine) means. That's actually what first started me thinking along the lines of Universalism - how many exceptions there would have to be to "Judgement."

At any rate. God's love does not stop with time, since Christians believe in an afterlife, and those who go to heaven continue to receive the glory of God's love. (And that's another vague phrase, isn't it? When I say that, I mean all the good things in life - which is to me, being able to think freely and critically, question, etc.)

I believe that God's love makes him understanding and, well, quite liberal. I don't think God would condemn you for something you can't help. That's not judgement -that's lunacy.

Very well said, and I hope that it is true. wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BobbyD
Very well said, and I hope that it is true. wink

laughing You are so cynical. laughing

Goddess Kali

I believe that God's love makes him understanding and, well, quite liberal. I believe that his love doesn't make him condemn people for their genetics-induced sexual orientation, for example. I don't think God would condemn you for something you can't help. That's not judgement -that's lunacy.

... and again I've managed to sound like a flower child. I hope I've managed to answer some of your questions, at least from my perspective, Goddess Kali.

I like your answer very much thumb up

siriuswriter
I like your answer very much thumb up

I try. stick out tongue

Thank you, and so do I. whistling1

FeceMan
I like how everyone verbally masturbates every Christian who doesn't actually adhere to the Bible.

"Okay...I base my faith on the Bible, since it has stuff written about Jesus and God and salvation, but it has stuff in it that I don't like, so I'll just ignore those parts."

Derkaderkaderk.

AngryManatee

siriuswriter
Originally posted by FeceMan
I like how everyone verbally masturbates every Christian who doesn't actually adhere to the Bible.

"Okay...I base my faith on the Bible, since it has stuff written about Jesus and God and salvation, but it has stuff in it that I don't like, so I'll just ignore those parts."

Derkaderkaderk.

That's not at all what I'm saying, FeceMan. I base my beliefs on Jesus' teachings, which, yes, can be found in the bible. I follow things in the bible that I do not necessarily "like," but which I know are good for me. I just don't believe that the bible is inerrant. This is based on common sense rather than whether I want it to be or not.

The bible has been translated many times, and books and passages have been left out of the bible - so I don't see how it could be perfect. Stories were passed down through oral tradition before they were written in the bible, and a simple game of telephone will tell you how screwed up messages get through oral passage.

Therefore I don't think your "summary" of what I've said is correct. I use the bible more as a historical reference, and as a guideline, than a rule or lawbook.

I shouldn't have to feel guilty that people respond positively to the way I post, though. After all, I don't force my beliefs on others, I try to always be careful to back my arguments up or say that they're just my opinon, and I try not to tell other people that what they say is flat out wrong. I just try to provide another side to the discussion, and observe things through another set of eyes. Perhaps it's just a nice change of pace?

Ashestoashesjc
Not that I have anything against JIA, he's a great person. It's just that it's close minded people like him that make me despise Christianity. I would actually start going to church again with a pastor like Melissa Scott. She's studied many religion and can always find ways to tie it into her sermons. She's not a conservative focused on recruiting the world in her mindless army of Watchtower drones...

FeceMan
I shouldn't have to feel guilty that people respond positively to the way I post, though.
I never suggested such a thing.
Originally posted by Ashestoashesjc
Not that I have anything against JIA, he's a great person. It's just that it's close minded people like him that make me despise Christianity. I would actually start going to church again with a pastor like Melissa Scott. She's studied many religion and can always find ways to tie it into her sermons. She's not a conservative focused on recruiting the world in her mindless army of Watchtower drones...
Is she a liberal focused on appeasing everyone by making Christianity ultra-tolerant and excising portions of the Old Testament, then?

(Watchtower is for Jehovah's Witnesses, by the way.)

Ashestoashesjc
Is she a liberal focused on appeasing everyone by making Christianity ultra-tolerant and excising portions of the Old Testament, then?

(Watchtower is for Jehovah's Witnesses, by the way.)

Don't make her sound like such a foul dictator. She's honest and precise in her studies, making her a downright good pastor. No one point is enough... she must dig deeper to the very grit of a topic before she settles on an ideal and goes forth to preach it. Then she's not dull, with her occasional jokes, finding the humour in the days of old...

Alliance

how does one actually follow the book?

Ashestoashesjc
Originally posted by Alliance
how does one actually follow the book?

I understand following the teachings of a well read Pastor, but a book itself? And if the bible can be wrong about Jesus' birthdate what else can it be wrong about? There's still the ever present topic of creation vs. evolution. I'll be damned if I start to believe that a big man in the sky waved his finger and then magically McDonalds chains popped up from nowhere...

Alliance
Actually, Chicago brought you that.

Ashestoashesjc
Originally posted by Alliance
Actually, Chicago brought you that.

It's not wise to contradict the teachings of Hikarism when it's leader is not of sober status...

lil bitchiness
Please do not open threads to flame and or answer individual posts.

Thank you.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.