An idea for a character

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endless Mike
I have his powers pretty well developed, but I'm still working on his name and origin. For a name I'm thinking something along the lines of "The Quantum Man" or "Doctor Quantum".

His origin will involve a particle accelerator, either an accident or a deliberate experiment (I have multiple stories I'm thinking of, I haven't chosen which one I want to use yet).

Anyway, he's a scientist named Timothy Rees who thinks that superhumans including both heroes and villains are no good for humanity and are responsible for all of the world's ills and problems, his objective is to exterminate every superhuman on earth except for himself.

His powers allow him control over quantum physics and give him abilities such as:

- Being in two places at once
- Making copies of himself (this is not the same ability as the last one)
- Instantaneous teleportation
- Flight
- Survival in space and harsh enviroments
- Quantum Perception giving him reaction times and senses down to the Planck level, he can see and detect invididual particles and quantum wave functions at the smallest scales in the universe.
- Manipulation of all forms of energy (except magic). This includes blasts, controlling, draining, charging, rerouting, fine - tuning manipulations, etc.
- Quantum Immortality, so even if his body is completely destroyed he can stil survive by being both dead and alive at the same time as the wave functions collapse and then reconstituting a new body in a place where there are functions entangled to his previous consciousness.
- Limited time manipulation (for example he can stop time in a 10 - meter radius around himself for a few minutes)
- Opening wormholes
- Limited control over the collapse of wave functions, which gives him probability - altering abilities

He's also a genius scientist, not on the level of Tony Stark or Reed Richards, but smart enough to invent technology to augment his powers and help defeat top tiers.

Disappear
how would technology be beneficial to someone with that level of ability in manipulating reality? technically, he could be retarded and still conjure up some fancy tech just by making the "quantum possibility" of it existing become reality.

quantum powers are very plot-device-y, or otherwise disinteresting. the broad from supreme power, for instance.

also, if he thought about it for a second, he could achieve his "no superhumans" agenda as easily as wanda got rid of mutants.

Endless Mike
The thing is that his powers are limited, and he can't use them too much without becoming exhausted and they can't just do anything.

However I was thinking of introducing a godlike future version of him who is a major cosmic threat that the normal version has to ally with his enemies to defeat.

MightyEInherjar
Large Hadron Collider gone wrong!!

Swanky-Tuna
You ripped those powers off of Storm.

long pig
Is this partly my fault?

I feel bad sad

shksprtx
Sounds a bit like a slightly powered-down Dr. Manhattan.

He needs some kind of Achilles Heel (besides exhaustion, which is rather cliched).

Also, his non-superhuman agenda is a) hypocritical, and b) not really deeply motivated. I'd give it some thought.

However, even if it does seem a bit plot-device-y, I rather like the idea of a character with quantum-based powers.

long pig
Originally posted by shksprtx
Sounds a bit like a slightly powered-down Dr. Manhattan.

He needs some kind of Achilles Heel (besides exhaustion, which is rather cliched).

Also, his non-superhuman agenda is a) hypocritical, and b) not really deeply motivated. I'd give it some thought.

However, even if it does seem a bit plot-device-y, I rather like the idea of a character with quantum-based powers.
Although you gave it a good shot, you're nowhere near Scoob's league of dream-killing criticism. The man spends his free time at orphanages telling four year olds that their drawings of clowns and horses are clitche.
He then punches them in the face.

Bastard.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by long pig
Is this partly my fault?

I feel bad sad Yes... all your fault, you and NaMbla coercing young boys by telling them they're creative.

grey fox
Couldn't his weakness be that he realises his own ideals are flawed ? Or that while he has the means to annihilate every Superhero he's too moral to do it .

Mindship
Originally posted by grey fox
Couldn't his weakness be that he realises his own ideals are flawed ? Or that while he has the means to annihilate every Superhero he's too moral to do it . IMO, a weakness should be somewhat, if not totally beyond the character's control. Pure existential crisis...I dunno. It lacks...urgency.

grey fox
Originally posted by Mindship
IMO, a weakness should be somewhat, if not totally beyond the character's control. Pure existential crisis...I dunno. It lacks...urgency.

The first Superhuman he detects is a nine year old girl who can make objects animate, namely her teddy bear.

Would he REALLY vaporise her ?

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by grey fox
The first Superhuman he detects is a nine year old girl who can make objects animate, namely her teddy bear.

Would he REALLY vaporise her ? Sure, why not? shifty

Endless Mike
He plans to kill himself after he completes his objective, he has thought of a device he can build to do so but he doesn't want to build it until it's necessary so no one can use it against him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.