Pirate code

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JaehSkywalker
I'm not sure if this has been done.......

well.. if anyone has this, real, or based on the movie, please post, looking for it.. big grin

and.. discuss the pirate codes.. though they're more like guidelines anyway.. wink

have fun mates!

Kal875
Great Idea!

LoveJackSparrow
sounds fun!

JaehSkywalker
does anyone have the code? I mean, you must've stolen it from teague... come on.. cough up the loot, i want to read it!! big grin

but serious note here, does anyone know the pirates code, based on the movie or not?

I have the Jedi code...
Sith code...

no pirate code.. sad

Sifzensinril
this is from Wikipedia

Bartholomew Roberts's articles

One of the best known sets of pirate articles was set down by the famous Welsh pirate Bartholomew Roberts in 1720.

I. Every man has a vote in affairs of moment; has equal title to the fresh provisions, or strong liquors, at any time seized, and may use them at pleasure, unless a scarcity (not an uncommon thing among them) makes it necessary, for the good of all, to vote a retrenchment.

II. Every man to be called fairly in turn, by list, on board of prizes because, (over and above their proper share) they were on these occasions allowed a shift of clothes: but if they defrauded the company to the value of a dollar in plate, jewels, or money, marooning was their punishment. If the robbery was only betwixt one another, they contented themselves with slitting the ears and nose of him that was guilty, and set him on shore, not in an uninhabited place, but somewhere, where he was sure to encounter hardships.

III. No person to game at cards or dice for money.

IV. The lights and candles to be put out at eight o'clock at night: if any of the crew, after that hour still remained inclined for drinking, they were to do it on the open deck

V. To keep their piece, pistols, and cutlass clean and fit for service.

VI. No boy or woman to be allowed amongst them. If any man were to be found seducing any of the latter sex, and carried her to sea, disguised, he was to suffer death;

VII. To desert the ship or their quarters in battle, was punished with death or marooning.

VIII. No striking one another on board, but every man's quarrels to be ended on shore, at sword and pistol.

IX. No man to talk of breaking up their way of living, till each had shared one thousand pounds. If in order to this, any man should lose a limb, or become a cripple in their service, he was to have eight hundred dollars, out of the public stock, and for lesser hurts, proportionately.

X. The captain and quartermaster to receive two shares of a prize: the master, boatswain, and gunner, one share and a half, and other officers one and quarter.

XI. The musicians to have rest on the Sabbath Day, but the other six days and nights, none without special favour.

Sifzensinril

Sifzensinril
Articles of Henry Morgan and other buccaneers

Exquemelin writes in general terms about the articles of late 17th century Caribbean buccaneers. Although he does not attribute these articles to any specific buccaneer captain, Exquemelin almost certainly sailed with Henry Morgan as a physician, and thus his account likely reflects Morgan's articles more accurately than any other privateer or buccaneer of the time.

Exquemelin writes that the buccaneers "agree on certain articles, which are put in writing, by way of bond or obligation, which every one is bound to observe, and all of them, or the chief, set their hands to it." Although Exquemelin does not number the articles, the following approximately reflects his description of the buccaneers' laws.

1. The fund of all payments under the articles is the stock of what is gotten by the expedition, following the same law as other pirates, that is, No prey, no pay.

2. Compensation is provided the Captain for the use of his ship, and the salary of the carpenter, or shipwright, who mended, careened, and rigged the vessel (the latter usually about 150 pieces of eight). A sum for provisions and victuals is specified, usually 200 pieces of eight. A salary and compensation is specified for the surgeon and his medicine chest, usually 250 pieces of eight.

3. A standard compensation is provided for maimed and mutilated buccaneers. "Thus they order for the loss of a right arm six hundred pieces of eight, or six slaves ; for the loss of a left arm five hundred pieces of eight, or five slaves ; for a right leg five hundred pieces of eight, or five slaves ; for the left leg four hundred pieces of eight, or four slaves ; for an eye one hundred pieces of eight, or one slave ; for a finger of the hand the same reward as for the eye.

4. Shares of booty are provided as follows: "the Captain, or chief Commander, is allotted five or six portions to what the ordinary seamen have ; the Master's Mate only two ; and Officers proportionate to their employment. After whom they draw equal parts from the highest even to the lowest mariner, the boys not being omitted. For even these draw half a share, by reason that, when they happen to take a better vessel than their own, it is the duty of the boys to set fire to the ship or boat wherein they are, and then retire to the prize which they have taken."

5. "In the prizes they take, it is severely prohibited to every one to usurp anything, in particular to themselves. . . . Yea, they make a solemn oath to each other not to abscond, or conceal the least thing they find amongst the prey. If afterwards any one is found unfaithful, who has contravened the said oath, immediately he is seperated and turned out of the society."

JaehSkywalker
THANKS SIF!!!

Sifzensinril
Pirate Code of Pirates of the Caribbean
Warning: Significant plot details follow.

and finally, Pirates of the Carribean movie trivia
In the Disney movie trilogy Pirates of the Caribbean, all the featured pirates are governed by a single Code. This Code extends to pirates worldwide, or at least to all areas under the governance of the Nine Pirate Lords. The Code applies both to living pirates and to undead ones. While the Code has the force of law in Shipwreck Cove, where a codex containing the complete code is kept under the care of Captain Teague. Elsewhere, the Code is treated more as a set of guidelines than as actual rules.

The Code was devised by the pirates "Morgan and Bartholomew." "Morgan" is presumably a reference to the great historical buccaneer Henry Morgan; "Bartholomew" has sometimes been identified as Bartholomew Roberts, but as this would be a historical impossibility, the reference may be to Bartolomeo Portugues or Bartholomew Sharp, who, unlike Roberts, were contemporaries of Morgan.

Although the Code has many other tenets, only six of its provisions are revealed in the course of the trilogy. These are:

1. The right to declare parley, in which the person who declared it is to be taken to the enemy captain for negotiations and is to remain unharmed by his crew until such time. Although it is supposedly of French derivation and is pronounced "par-LAY," the code spells it as "parlay" as opposed to an orthodox French spelling.
2. He who falls behind is left behind.
3. Take what you can, give nothing back.
4. A marooned pirate is given a pistol with a single shot with which to kill himself as opposed to starvation.
5. Only the Pirate King has the power to declare war and during the war, only the Pirate King has the right to declare parlay.
6. The Pirate King is elected by the Nine Pirate Lords, with a plurality necessary for election. Anyone caught bribing are to be shot.

JaehSkywalker
I'll be back for all this tomorrow! right now i really really need to go.. see y'all mates, and don't let the rum run out!

Sifzensinril
ya going early tonight.. but night to you, and have dreams about Jack

willofthewisp
In my pirate book, it says that female prisoners were assigned "protectors" to prevent them from being raped, but there was the problem of the protector raping her.

IheartPocky
Originally posted by willofthewisp
In my pirate book, it says that female prisoners were assigned "protectors" to prevent them from being raped, but there was the problem of the protector raping her.

heh i read halfway through and thought "Oh thats nice" but then "Oh well nevermind." haha

ADarksideJedi
The code is really old and it is pretty neat how they fit that in the movie.I have a pirate book that names all the codes and it is pretty interesting that if you want to drink past nine yuo have to drink with no lights on.
Also there will be no grumbling on sundays.You can tell the pirate that wrote these codes was indeed christian!JM

JaehSkywalker
eep. freaky. if you're a female in those times, you definitely should know some moves...

willofthewisp
Didn't Bartholomew Roberts hold church services on his ship? Somebody did, I think. This is all so interesting. Thanks for all the information, Sifzensinril. I had no idea there was more than one set of code.

JaehSkywalker
I read that somewhere.. hmm

the code is very interesting.... pirates actually follow it contrary to popular belief...

straying a bit from the code..
charts.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by willofthewisp
Didn't Bartholomew Roberts hold church services on his ship? Somebody did, I think. This is all so interesting. Thanks for all the information, Sifzensinril. I had no idea there was more than one set of code.

You are right about that.He did indeed hold church service.and there is alot of codes not sure how many.I hate charts.I was wondering what the map was of in "Dead man Chest"that one guy was painting it but I was not sure what it was supose to be.
Anyone here can help me?jm smile

JaehSkywalker
aww.. why do you hate it? look at it closely, you'll see Jack and Lizzie's face

Jaeh_JediPirate
lol.

BUMP.

LoveJackSparrow
Really you can see there faces????????? Or are you being sacastic????

IheartPocky
Yes, you can see their faces. They had a thing about it on Disney Channel.

LoveJackSparrow
ARE YOU SEROUS???? Man i must see DMC again since i own it but my dad wont let me watch it again! He says i watch it like 20 times a day! and i only watch it 1 a week!!!!!!

IheartPocky
smile

LoveJackSparrow
Where did you get that code book "IHeartPocky"?

IheartPocky
I don't have a code book smile

Jaeh_JediPirate
it was on the disney channel mate... wink

AudioHeart
Interesting! lol this thread is kewl OMG YOU CAN SEE JACK AND LIZ, THATS AMAZING...is it a clue for something?...Ooooooooh lmao

Jaeh_JediPirate
I totally wish it is!

mate, can you check out my short not yet finished sparrabeth story in the sparrabeth stories thread?

AudioHeart
Are you talking to me Jaeh?

Jaeh_JediPirate
yeah.. smile

AudioHeart
Awwwwwwwwwe OKAY lol

Jaeh_JediPirate
thank you.. smile

AudioHeart
Your Welcome!

Jaeh_JediPirate
so, post something in there okay? wink big grin

AudioHeart
Sure....*waits a few minutes*....DONE! =]

Jaeh_JediPirate
thank you! big grin

AudioHeart
My Pleasure! big grin big grin wink lol

LoveJackSparrow
Im glad i made that thread. :-) i think people are happy that that thread is made. :-) i feel happy! :-)

AudioHeart
Happiness All Round laughing out loud =]

Jaeh_JediPirate
It's what POTC KMC forums is all about... wink

other than POTC of course lol..

AudioHeart
I'll drink to that!

Jaeh_JediPirate
and johnny and the characters! don't forget em! wink

AudioHeart
Oh Yeah Oh Yeah, can't forget the stars of the the show now can we?!!!

Jaeh_JediPirate
Of course...

I KNOW! let's make our own weird pirate code... in addition to POTC's pirate codes lol...

the real pirate code could be a good basis... wink

AudioHeart
That's a Great Idea!

Jaeh_JediPirate
KMC Pirates Pirate code.

1. There shall be no drinking in the H.J.F.S.H shop.

AudioHeart
KMC Pirates Pirate Code.

2. Always return your Jack (or what/whoever else you rented)

Jaeh_JediPirate
KMC Pirates Pirate Code.

3. No spam threads.

4. Try and stay on topic.. except in the off-topic places.. laughing out loud

AudioHeart
KMC Pirates Pirate Code.

5. Don't be mean to ANY ship, even if you don't support them!

AudioHeart
Let's post in the KMC PIRATES PIRATES CODE THREAD, so everyone knows where to go if they wanna add on! wink

Jaeh_JediPirate
okay.. big grin

AudioHeart
laughing out loud lol!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.