Swearing on the Bible....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Yuna_And_Tidus
Dunno if this topic has been discussed yet, sorry if it has I don't visit here much but I got to thinking. What do people that don't believe in God do when they are sent to court and have to swear on the Bible?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Yuna_And_Tidus
Dunno if this topic has been discussed yet, sorry if it has I don't visit here much but I got to thinking. What do people that don't believe in God do when they are sent to court and have to swear on the Bible?

I believe there is a way you can swear without swearing on the bible, I don't know what it is.

Ashestoashesjc
I think it's offensive, making someone of different religion swear on a bible. If they don't swear on a bible then please correct me, but otherwise I'm sticking to my opinion.

Storm
If a witness has no religion, or does not wish to swear on a holy book, (s)he may make an affirmation. An affirmation has exactly the same legal effect as an oath.

In the United Kingdom, a witness may swear on the Bible or other holy book.

lil bitchiness

Not everyone is swearing on the Bible, and you are not MADE to swear on it. It defets the purpose of asking someone who doesn't believe in Bible to swear by it.

You may swear on whichever religious book you like, or otherwise make an affirmation, as already stated by Storm.

Yuna_And_Tidus
Ah, now I understand.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Ashestoashesjc
I think it's offensive, making someone of different religion swear on a bible. If they don't swear on a bible then please correct me, but otherwise I'm sticking to my opinion.
Consider yourself corrected.

Crimson Phoenix
I wonder what athiests swear on

Yuna_And_Tidus
Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix
That's what I was wondering.

Storm
They affirm.

ThePittman
I wonder what athiests swear on A hardrive? stick out tongue

I have been in court a couple of times but they never tell you that you can affirm, I just swore on the bible and lied my a$$ off. wink I do know that when you take your oath in the military you can omit that part.

Storm
Very few are offered the choice, as they assume you to swear. You can ask to affirm, but you have to be aware of your rights.

debbiejo
Dunno if this topic has been discussed yet, sorry if it has I don't visit here much but I got to thinking. What do people that don't believe in God do when they are sent to court and have to swear on the Bible? They swear on their honor to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

In court in Michigan we don't swear on a bible.

ThePittman
Does swearing about the Bible count?

eezy45
Originally posted by Ashestoashesjc

well, does it matter to someone who doesn't believe?

i'd swear on my grandma's third eye messed i really wouldn't mind. i'd also swear on Winnie the Pooh..

Symmetric Chaos

On their testicles.

Because they would testify get it? vin

Athiests may affirm. If you follow a religion you may ask for the appropraite holy text be brought for you to swear on. If your religion has no holy text or forbids using for an oath you can affirm.

Yuna_And_Tidus
Well what if the court didn't know they were athiests and they swore on a Bible?

2D_MASTER
Well what if the court didn't know they were athiests and they swore on a Bible?

Would'nt it be up to the indivual to inform the court that he or she was an atheist? I bet most likely, when an atheist takes the stand, he or she swears on the bible anyways since he or she recogizes that it is more of a legal action and swearing on the bible means nothing spiritually to the person taking the oath anyways.

Yuna_And_Tidus
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Would'nt it be up to the indivual to inform the court that he or she was an atheist? I bet most likely, when an atheist takes the stand, he or she swears on the bible anyways since he or she recogizes that it is more of a legal action and swearing on the bible means nothing spiritually to the person taking the oath anyways.
Exactly, so what does that signify? That he can lie and get away with murder?

Boris
Yeah, people lie all the time in court.

The Bible is there.. well, I have no idea why it's there, it's not as though people are afraid of it.

2D_MASTER
Exactly, so what does that signify? That he can lie and get away with murder?

No, I am saying that it holds no spiritually binding meaning to that person. What I am saying is that, if an atheists chooses to swear on the bible instead of requesting a "affirmation", it is simply to avoid what he/she believes to be complications in the processes of doing so. Most likely they realize that swearing on the Bible implies that anything said on the witness stand can and will be used against them (ie perjury), that is enough incentive for them to tell the truth.

ThePittman
If I was on trial in front of a jury, you bet that I would swear on the bible because the natural assumption from many religious followers, which have a tendency to make up much of the jury, is that Atheist are evil or can't be trusted because they don't believe in anything so hell ya I'm going to make myself look better.

Yuna_And_Tidus
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
No, I am saying that it holds no spiritually binding meaning to that person. What I am saying is that, if an atheists chooses to swear on the bible instead of requesting a "affirmation", it is simply to avoid what he/she believes to be complications in the processes of doing so. Most likely they realize that swearing on the Bible implies that anything said on the witness stand can and will be used against them (ie perjury), that is enough incentive for them to tell the truth.
Ooooh, I didn't know that.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Boris

Very true, the bible doesn't cause fear from god anymore or some feel they can pray to be forgiven. A loop hole.

Ashestoashesjc
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Consider yourself corrected. Thankies!

Symmetric Chaos

The Bible is there.. well, I have no idea why it's there, it's not as though people are afraid of it.

They should make people swear on the Necronimicon. That'd put the fear of god in em.

Boris
People shouldn't swear on anything.

It really doesn't make a difference, if you're going to lie.. you're going to lie.

Yuna_And_Tidus

It really doesn't make a difference, if you're going to lie.. you're going to lie.
I second that.

ADarksideJedi
We been doing the bible thing for a while now.It is true that if you lie you lie.But swearing on the bible would make you feel guity if you do lie.
Reather you believe in God or not.jm

Yuna_And_Tidus
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
We been doing the bible thing for a while now.It is true that if you lie you lie.But swearing on the bible would make you feel guity if you do lie.
Reather you believe in God or not.jm
Are you sure about that? There are some pretty selfish people in this world. (Not saying you are wrong, by all means.)

debbiejo

It really doesn't make a difference, if you're going to lie.. you're going to lie. I believe there is a reference that that in the bible. A person shouldn't swear on anything but let your "yes" be yes and your "no" be no.

In other words your "word" should be as gold.

ADarksideJedi
I know you are not saying I am wrong.I am not sure I was just saying that if it was me I would feel guity.If people are selfish then they are but they could still feel guity about it and just not pay any attention to it at all.JM

Goddess Kali
Why would anyone swear on the bible ? as if it guarantees anything....

Yuna_And_Tidus
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I know you are not saying I am wrong.I am not sure I was just saying that if it was me I would feel guity.If people are selfish then they are but they could still feel guity about it and just not pay any attention to it at all.JM
Definately I'd feel guilty too, but like...there are some evil people in this world that would surely kill thousands of people, get put on the pedastal(sp?) and lie right to the faces of the people in the court, you know?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.