More racism controversy in Big Brother (UK)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Crimson Phoenix
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6729673.stm

We had all that shilpa shetty controversy few months ago in Celebrity BB, and now we have someone being kicked out for using the n word.

What are your thoughts on this?

Fishy
My thoughts? That people should actually write ****** instead of the N word, the N word sounds so incredibly stupid... Idiotic language.

I also think it's idiotic they would kick people out, things like this can sky rocket your ratings. Besides a little fight in the house every now and then is probably a good thing.

chillmeistergen
I think she deserved to be kicked out. Who on earth doesn't know that a word like that, has negative connotations? She was just like ''I didn't mean it in an offensive way''; any way you say it is offensive.

Fishy
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I think she deserved to be kicked out. Who on earth doesn't know that a word like that, has negative connotations? She was just like ''I didn't mean it in an offensive way''; any way you say it is offensive.

No it's not... Well unless the people watching are idiots and can't take something for what it is.

§P0oONY
I watched Big Brother yesterday, she didn't mean to be offensive, she was just ignorant. Channel 4 had no choice but to withdraw her from the house after last year, but she wasn't being racist.

Fishy

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Fishy
Why didn't they have a choice? They could have easily let her stay... What is it with this word that makes everybody so mad and pissed and forget all reason and logic?

It's just a word people if she didn't use to offend somebody then she didn't do anything wrong.
Because the media would blow it out of proportion. It was best they just attempted to snub it out.

What's so bad about it? I don't know, I'm white but I imagine it is like being called the worst insult you could be called. The people she said it to did take it to heart, it blatently effected them, they knew she wasn't being racist but they questioned why she used it anyway.

chillmeistergen
Why didn't they have a choice? They could have easily let her stay... What is it with this word that makes everybody so mad and pissed and forget all reason and logic?

It's just a word people if she didn't use to offend somebody then she didn't do anything wrong.

It's a word that was synonymous with utter racial hatred for years. If she said it because she thought it was funny, it's still inexcusable. I don't see what's funny, about a word that was used to bring a race down to a sub human level.

Crimson Phoenix

I guess channel 4 didnt want a repeat of the whole shilpa shetty incedent so they nipped it in the bud. I'm not black, but i can understand why people would find it offensive. its not "ust a word it what the word represents. Granted though, the n word is used quite alot by black people (who i know anyway), and extensively by hip hop artists, which maybe has downgraded the offensiveness is some peoples eyes..i dunno.

But if someone where to call me a paki, i would find that extrememly offensive

backdoorman
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
It's a word that was synonymous with utter racial hatred for years. If she said it because she thought it was funny, it's still inexcusable. I don't see what's funny, about a word that was used to bring a race down to a sub human level.
It is still just a word, people act as though every time one says it seven people drop dead. As for the topic, it's up to the networks to decide what they want or don't want to air.

Fishy

lil bitchiness

Robtard
So if somebody calls me an ******* and that wasn't meant offensive and I can clearly see that I might still not like it, but I'd forget about it. The same should go for this word. It's a word, it means nothing. Just look at the average black person in movies, music and what not. They use this word a billion times a minute, so why the hell shouldn't some white person be allowed to say it as well?

She didn't mean to offend anybody and that should be all that matters...

Because the color of your skin somehow (I think through magical means) automatically dictates your meaning and/or purpose for the word. Silly, but that's that way it is.

BackFire
I'm stunned and saddened.....

that this show is still on.

amity75
2 weeks ago channel 4 showed Pulp Fiction. Doesn't the "N" word get used rather a lot in that?

Robtard
Originally posted by amity75
2 weeks ago channel 4 showed Pulp Fiction. Doesn't the "N" word get used rather a lot in that?

"I don't need you to tell me how ****ing good my coffee is, ok? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping, she buys shit. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff, cause when I drink it, I wanna taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It ain't the coffee in my kitchen. It's the dead n*gger in my gararge." - Jimmie

"Did you see the sign on my door that says 'Dead n*gger storage'? ... No, did you see the sign on my door that says 'Dead n*gger storage'? You know why you didn't see that sign? Cuz storin' dead n*ggers ain't my ****ing business! - Jimmie

"Am I a n*gger? Are you in Inglewood? No. You're in my house. White people who know the difference between good shit and bad shit, this is the house they come to. My shit, I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with Amsterdam shit any ol' day of the ****in' week." - Lance

"I'm prepared to scour the the Earth for that mother****er. If Butch goes to Indochina, I want a n*gger waiting in a bowl of rice ready to pop a cap in his ass." - Marsellus Wallace

"Shit n*gger, that's all you had to say." - Jules

Deano
its a piece of shit..walk away

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Robtard
Because the color of your skin somehow (I think through magical means) automatically dictates your meaning and/or purpose for the word. Silly, but that's that way it is.

Yup.

Strange life, people controling others emotions.

grey fox
It's amazing how the media are so blatantly ignorant of the multi-purpose usage of the word 'Nigga'

Fishy
Originally posted by Robtard

It shouldn't be like that though... And you can stop it being like that if you stop giving meaning to the word. So not kicking her out of the house would have been a better decision, if the papers would then have decided to not give it any publicity it would all have been fine.

Alpha Centauri
If we just slaughtered everyone involved, life would be better.

-AC

FistOfThe North

§P0oONY
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
A White person saying the word "n*igger", even as a joke, is always offensive and racist, and never, ever funny, no matter how you spin it or justify it, or joke about it because of the negative and historical meaning attached to the word and it's connection with African-American Slavery and the Discrimination that spawned todays problems like A.A. and the contemporary racism that heavily exists in the United States now. I mean, it's not like saying "cracker" or "honky" which mean sh*t cause it has no type of significant historical meaning, at all. I'm glad she got kicked out and i hoped she becomes blackballed on tv. She should permanetly lose the oppertunity to make a living at all. Her attitude came from upbringing or friends, most likely. It's been a pleasure to see these high profile people use racial connotations on live TV and watch them crash and burn and get fired and drop like flies. Another win in the battle.
I never said what she did wasn't racist... I just said that she was being racist, she's just an ignorant moron, she obviously didn't realise the connotations of the word. The very fact that she said the word to her best friend inside the house shows that it wasn't meant to be offensive. I'm not saying this is an excuse but it is an explanation to why she isn't a filthy racist.

She is also not a high profile person, she is a student in the 1st week of a reality TV show. I feel sorry for the girl, her being brought up in an area where racist terms fly around has pretty much ruined her life. Maybe not forever but I imagine she is feeling mighty shit by now, more than enough punishment for sheer ignorance.

Fishy
A White person saying the word "n*igger", even as a joke, is always offensive and racist, and never, ever funny, no matter how you spin it or justify it, or joke about it because of the negative and historical meaning attached to the word and it's connection with African-American Slavery and the Discrimination that spawned todays problems like A.A. and the contemporary racism that heavily exists in the United States now. I mean, it's not like saying "cracker" or "honky" which mean sh*t cause it has no type of significant historical meaning, at all. I'm glad she got kicked out and i hoped she becomes blackballed on tv. She should permanetly lose the oppertunity to make a living at all. Her attitude came from upbringing or friends, most likely. It's been a pleasure to see these high profile people use racial connotations on live TV and watch them crash and burn and get fired and drop like flies. Another win in the battle.

You're an idiot.

This woman wasn't being racists, that you take offense to a word is not her problem and you really shouldn't take offense to this word. Get of your high horse and accept it as a word. It's only wrong when it's meant in a wrong way. It wasn't.

The you're an idiot part however clearly was, as it was meant as such. Well sort of, see the difference between the two?

FistOfThe North
You're an idiot.

This woman wasn't being racists, that you take offense to a word is not her problem and you really shouldn't take offense to this word. Get of your high horse and accept it as a word. It's only wrong when it's meant in a wrong way. It wasn't.

The you're an idiot part however clearly was, as it was meant as such. Well sort of, see the difference between the two?

?

I barely understood like half of what you wrote, but you're the bigger idiot by not considering an upset White girl a racist when she called a Black person, her best friend, a "n*gger", clearly a racial term.

She's not racist because when she said the word n*gger she didn't mean it? lolo

Look, it's completely wrong and it sounds absolutely weird and definitely unfunny when a White person says the word "n*gger" anywhere and in any way, period. Do you understand that??

Bicnarok

FistOfThe North

§P0oONY
?

I barely understood like half of what you wrote, but you're the bigger idiot by not considering an upset White girl a racist when she called a Black person, her best friend, a "n*gger", clearly a racial term.

Look, it's completely wrong and it sounds absolutely weird and definitely unfunny when a White person says the word "n*gger" anywhere and in any way, period. Do you understand that??
Have you even seen it?

{{QS}}
?

She said it jokingly. I've been called tons of stuff by friends in other ethnic groups yet it doesn't bother me because at the end of the day their my friends and i know thay don't mean to offend.

Fishy
Do you think it's the same thing when a White person calls a Black guy "a N*gger" and a Black guy calls a fellow Black man "n*gga"? It's not, you know. It'll never be.

Free speech is free speech and when it's used for good, it has it's rewards, just like using it immorally and or unethically means paying the price, in full, via a harsh consequence. Like, for example, losing your job and/or your dignity and/or respect.

Yes it is the same, and until you start seeing it as the same racism will just continue to exist. Giving attention to things like this will just increase racism and tension between two groups. Treating it like it was meant as nothing serious however would have had absolutely no affect. That's the problem with people so anti-racists like you, they do tons of things that just inspire racism and show the difference between two races, where as other people would just like to completely forget about it.

Czarina_Czarina
Yes it is the same, and until you start seeing it as the same racism will just continue to exist. Giving attention to things like this will just increase racism and tension between two groups. Treating it like it was meant as nothing serious however would have had absolutely no affect. That's the problem with people so anti-racists like you, they do tons of things that just inspire racism and show the difference between two races, where as other people would just like to completely forget about it.

+1

vintageSW77

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.