Why are mutants treated different from SuperHumans?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperor Ashtar
I never got this, how do anti-mutant supporters differentiate between Muties and Super-humans?

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Emperor Ashtar
I never got this, how do anti-mutant supporters differentiate between Muties and Super-humans?

Because mutants are humans born with powers. They are considered the next step in evolution. Therefore, they represent the extinction of "normal" people. Normal people don't like to be extinct. Just watch Independence Day. cool

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by celestialdemon
Because mutants are humans born with powers. They are considered the next step in evolution. Therefore, they represent the extinction of "normal" people. Normal people don't like to be extinct. Just watch Independence Day. cool
But, how do people tell them apart?

celestialdemon
But, how do people tell them apart?

Good question. That I'm not sure about.

llagrok
It doesn't quite make sense, when you think about it.

Rewmac
But, how do people tell them apart? It's comics. You could ask the question, how does that a guy becomes an angry green f*uck who smashes. It's all the comics buddy, it's all how they don't age.

DigiMark007
...it's because they're filthy.

no expression

llagrok
Also, why hasn't this thread been closed/moved yet? smile

Seems like something that would go better in the Comic book forum

Emperor Ashtar
^^^
Same reason why the thread about the hulk surving the sun is still going on.

batdude123
Originally posted by DigiMark007

no expression

Damn straight.

DigiMark007
Seriously though:

Superhumans mostly got their powers either through technology or by accident. It doesn't constitute a trend. Mutants, on the other hand, represent mainstream humanity becoming obsolete. they're a threat to the status quo.

That's how I've always seen it at least.

Wonder Man
i think the real reason they're treated different is because mutants are supposed to be weaker than the super human crowed. it's just spelled out differently in the scene.

Swanky-Tuna
Easy. Mutant haters are only in X-Men comics. The common man in every other Marvel title cheers the freaks on as they fly, swing, or run by to save their common asses.

Blair Wind
Seriously though:

Superhumans mostly got their powers either through technology or by accident. It doesn't constitute a trend. Mutants, on the other hand, represent mainstream humanity becoming obsolete. they're a threat to the status quo.

That's how I've always seen it at least.

Yea, but how does the Marvel Earth population know the difference?

Say like Wonder Man. He uses his power, and no one hates him for that. Or spiderman. How does the populace know? Of course if anyone uses any power in an X-men comic the people hate them and immediately call them a mutant.

Symmetric Chaos
Because mutants are a tangible symbol for changes in society and reactionaries will always rally against a target like that.

Additionally mutants are an accident of nature taken to the extreme. They lack the respectability of the guy who goes out to learn MartialArts for decades. They lack the sense of wonder you get the guy who builds himself a suit of armor and saves himself. They lack the tragedy of the man who survies a lob accident only to discover that every dark urge he has will take physical shape.

Basicly because mutants haven't sacrificed or work to gain their powers people see them as irresponible and potentially dangerous. But, unlike say the BruceBanner, that danger comes from who they are not what has been done to them.

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Yea, but how does the Marvel Earth population know the difference?

Say like Wonder Man. He uses his power, and no one hates him for that. Or spiderman. How does the populace know? Of course if anyone uses any power in an X-men comic the people hate them and immediately call them a mutant.

That's the question I was asking?

Symmetric Chaos
Oh . . . the easiest way to tell the difference is the lack of a back story and the fact that the powers often manifest in adolescence.

Beyond that some are openly mutant.

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Oh . . . the easiest way to tell the difference is the lack of a back story and the fact that the powers often manifest in adolescence.

Beyond that some are openly mutant.

Hpw does the avergae joe in the comic verse know the back story of spiderman?

Symmetric Chaos
Hpw does the avergae joe in the comic verse know the back story of spiderman?

For Spiderman they wouldn't (thats why they thought he was a mutant in one of the HoM realities). But for many the back story is relatively well known or easily guessed.

janus77
mutants are born via natural evolution of human dna.
they are still essentially human in most respects, even if they don't look it.

superheros/villains are either technologically,magically or cosmically augmented aliens/humans.

one is the natural progression in the materials from which each new generation of the species comes into being. the other is not the face of progress (and conversely the writ of obselescence for the common sap) but rather an unconnected and fantastical other/realisation of human potential (Dr. Strange's magical knowledge, Tony Stark's clunky armor suits ...).

basically mutation equals ho'sap obselescence, superheroes/villains do not (well not necessarily, maybe Doom's gonna tire of them ...).

the distinction would be by what they know of the origins of the character. Ironman doesn't seem superhuman or mutated, just a man in a tin suit. Hulk's famous for the gamma accident, SilverSurfer's an alien, the FF are accidentally mutated, etc etc... mutants are a betrayal of their origins... like changing faith when your parents are deeply religious.

Redatom65

no expression

I hate your mutie bashing Digi no expression

Evil_Ash

no expression

Reported. no expression

Symmetric Chaos

no expression

Fo Sho Mo Fo thumbup1

Evil_Ash
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Fo Sho Mo Fo thumbup1

Reported. no expression

LordKaos
The Avengers and the FF are very public teams and people know they are not mutants because they told people they weren't. Most superhumans are on teams like this, while most mutants are trying to live like ordinary people until something with their powers happen. For the most part people don't know unless the superhuman is on a team like the two mentioned. Skin from Generation X was saving a guy who was on a boat attacked by Fever Pitch, they guy asked if Skin was a mutant because he didn't want a mutant to save him, Skin told the guy that he got his powers from a radioactive elephant bite, so the guy was cool with it.

basilisk
I've always wondered about this myself. How does the average guy on the street know the difference? If I was a mutant I'd just make up some dumb cover story, go join the Avengers or something, and be be a real super-hero, not some hated loser. In the MU there are lots of options:

Cyclops - hit in the eyes by a radioactive cannister while saving an old man from being run over

Nightcrawler - alien

Wolverine - experiment with using animal DNA to create a super-soldier or bitten by an escaped rabid radioactive experimental lab animal

Storm - hit by lightning and gained weather powers, or magic user.

Iceman - caught in an industrial coolant leak, or technology user like Jack Frost, Blizzard etc.

Havok - changed by cosmic ray bombardment in experimental space flight

Colossus - techno-virus

Marvel Girl - gained powers during strange mind experiments at college

Kitty Pryde - technology user

and so on...

The various in-jokes in Marvel over the years like "maybe I was bitten by a radioactive something-or-other" always made me wonder - do people know that's how Spidey got his powers? Before Civil War I mean.

As for the mutants, the only thing I can think of is that people like the Government (using Sentinels & other mutant detecting tech) and anti-mutant groups with good resources "out" these guys publicly. Hell, maybe Professor X secretly leaks the info so that they all come crying to him and he has his little empire to run and can be the "saviour" figure.

And when MU citizens can probably log on the internet and find out who is a mutant there isn't much point trying to hide it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.