Some info on Frodo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mersie
Hi
Could someone help, I am entering a competition and need to know the surname Frodo gives the bartender in Bree, I thought it was Underwood, but it's not , can't remember that bit too well.Thanks in advance if thats OK.
Mersie

mah
Fair enough, thats Underhill.

Fire
hehe, not a hard question

Mersie
Thanks for answering my question so quick, I have been combing sites for info and it gets harder and harder, most reviewers just skim over the story line, I could rehire the movie, but that's to easy ah.
Another question on Frodo,
What type of blade dose the Ringwraith stab Frodo with?
Any help please, Thanks again
Mersie

Fire
a morgul blade

Dexx
yup....even I knew those.

Fire
idd dexx, very easy questions so far smile

Mersie
Hi There
Gee, you all know your LOTR trivia thanks heaps, can I ask one more please?
At the begining of the movie Gandalf visits Bilbo in his hobbit hole at Bag End. While talking with Bilbo, Gandalf looks at a map on the table, what is the name of the mountain shown on the map on the table.
Thanks heaps for all your help
Mersie

Mersie
Me again
Just typed in your answer, Morgul Blade and it came up wrong, any clues? Maybe the spelling I don't know.
Mersie

Mersie
Me yet again
I had used a capital M, just did it again with lower case and it went through. Thanks
Mersie

Dexx
i think it's the lonely mountain. The one smaug sheltered in

yerssot
idd it is the lonely mountain yea d'uhh all these questions are very easy, tho ask more it's very fun

Mersie
Hi there
Just a short note to thank you all for your help, I'm glad you think it's fun, as I get some more, i'll ask if I don't know the answers or if I can't find them myself, I'm not very good with searching.
Mersie

Dexx
ok...we'll be here with the answers

Mersie
Hi all
Got another question for you,
Having discovered the Hobbits location, the Ringwraiths encircle and trap them whithin the ruins of Weathertop. As they slowly approach Sam yells at them in fear---------
What dose Sam yell at the approaching Ringwraiths?
Anyone know?

Any help would be great thank to all
Mersie

Dexx
hmm..at Amon-Sul.....i think it was:
"back, you devills!" Then the ringwraith knocks him down.big grin

Mersie
Hi Dexx
Thank for the info, it was correct. I would be lost without you.
Mersie

Fire
ncie goin' dexx

Captain REX
Couldn't you just read through the book?

I would tell you the name of their blade, but I gave my gigantic LOTR tomb back to my uncle. sad

My bro has the book though. big grin

Dexx
hehe...easy questions so far.smile

Mersie
Well if Dexx dosen't mind why should you?
I'll try and buy the book when I get some spare cash.
In the mean time I thank you all for your help.
Mersie

Fire
lol I got it for Xmas I'm gonna ask for a new english edition this year

Dexx
hmm..don't have lotr in english. Don't think i'll take it any time sooner now

cris
Bloody hell Mersie, stop cheating. Why don't you use your brain or atleast learn to read?

mah
chill it.

Mersie
Ok, I realy don't consider this cheating, I haven't got the book, and searching on the net turns up nothing, all I get is entries into a competition, you still have to win the dam thing.
If you want to check the site out it's www.lordoftherings.com.au an Australian site, I am an Australian and I can read very well.
It is done in a lot of sections, over a period of time and if you get each section right you get a few entries into the competition, thats all.
I never win anything anyway.
Mersie

bacardi_bomber
does anyone have the answers to the following anagrams?
hear gadfly gent
a gage swim seem
a whim threaten us
i krept no ogre
long if gloom is in
any help would be greatly appreciated smile

Ushgarak
Now, a quick look at that says that the second one simply HAS to be Samwise Gamgee

Dexx
hmm..i think i'll pass this one....more from mersiebig grin

Mersie
I got the answers for the anagrams from www.imdb.com search Lord of the rings you can work it out by looking at the list of characters.
Peregrin Took
Samwise Gamgee
Saruman the White
I can't work the last one out.
Mersie

Mersie
Hi guys and girls
I have another question for you.
Frodo recieves two gifts from Bilbo, before departing Rivendell. One was an old blade the other was a silvery vest of great wealth, what was the vest made of?
Also can anyone remember a quote in the movie " You will meet many foes on the road........................" can you finish this?

Many thanks if you are still interested in helping, is this challenging enough for you?
Mersie

mah
that was Mithril

Mujaffa
read the book... damn.....

Dexx
can't find the" You will meet many foes on the road" quote...
Only the thing bilbo said:
"the blade glows blue when orcs are close, and it's times like that, my lad, when you have to be extra carefull"
maybe if you tell me who says it and when..
The are pretty detailed questions, no hard but detailed. Dunno why ya need 'em. Perhaps Mersie's Peter Jackson undercover testing us our loialty

Mersie
Thank you Mah and Dexx, don't worry about the Quote, the answer was going to be printed in the Australian Newspaper in the public notices on the 21st which was yesterday so will see if I can get one, just thought it may have been a quote that you's new.
As I said before this competition is on a Australian site and they give 3 questions every month and if you answer them right you get entries in the competition, it goes right through till the end of February. Might have the book by then.
Mersie

Mujaffa
EDIT - keep the pics to the pic-thread

Dexx
mersie..is it well payed?....cuz i'll damn subscribe toosmile

Mersie
Yes, by all means, join up the address is www.lordoftherings.com.au you can still start at the begining, the first one finished the questions each month wins something, I don't know what, but you would probably shoe it in.
I still haven't bought that newspaper yet to get the second part of the question but will do so today and will post the answer. Good luck
Mersie

Mersie
Ok Question 12 is the quote " You will meet many foes on the road" ....... and the answer is " some open and some disguised "
Quoted by ELROND.
Mersie

Dexx
ok...i'll see what it's about

Captain REX
For those of you that keep bashing her about "Just read the book!" (which I appoligize for saying), she doesn't have the book. End of discussion.

Now...any more questions Mersie? These questions are chipping the rust from my brain in the LOTR area...

Mersie
Thanks for those kind words Captain Rex, tomorrow the next question will be available, and it is set at MORIA.
And then the 11th and the 20th of December for the next 2 for the month.
Thanks
Mersie

Fire
you can always go and rent to book or buy it later

I'd think you would enjoy reading it some day you will probably do so

but keep the questions coming will try to solve them

Dexx
wait a seccond....are in there questions about the books or bout the movie/s ?

Mersie
There was no questions this time just a slide puzzle to unscramble. What is the difference between the book and the movie? I thought it would roughly be the same.
I suppose the book is usually better because you can use your imagination to guess what things and people are like.
Mersie

Fire
lol nha the book is way bigger, it has a lot information than the movie

you learn a lot more and whole scenes have been cut and added in the movie

it still rox tho the book is better

Mujaffa

Dexx
well...not quite, but i can't think of an example just now smile

Mersie
I agree, the book is nearly always better, I also like Steven King books and every one that I've read, and then seen the movie after, the movie was always a disappointment.
I am going to buy the book for sure.
Mersie

BackFire349
i liked one flew over the cuckoos nest movie better then teh book.

Mersie
Haven't seen that one or read the book
Mersie

Dexx
but be warned....never read lotr with a pillow under ur head at a dim light. Let's just say that's a really effective cure for insomnia.smile
There are indeed some long, neverending boring parts..where they walk, ...still walking.....no stoping yet.....just a few more pages of walking..and so on

Mersie
I know, I've read a lot of books like that, to discriptive, they go on and on about the scenery and other unimportant stuff, I usually skim over pages like that.
Mersie

Dexx
long descriptions can be great...an important part of understanding the book. But those are just..sleepy

Mersie
I lay-buyed the book LOTR today, will get it out next week.
mersie

Mersie
Hi guys
Need your help again,
During the course of their four-day treck through Moria Frodo notices someone following them, who is following them?
Mersie

Dexx
ergh...easy one: Gollum

Mersie
Thanks Dexx
Mersie

liz
not sure, but i think sam yells "Back you devils!"

are we talking about the book or the movie?

mah
not sure, but I think it's the movie or what Mersie?

Dexx
it's deffenetley in the movie mersie...but i didn't read the english version of lotr..so i can't tell if it's in the books..it probably is.

Fire
lol going on about unimportant parts is a thing most fantasy writters do

Dexx
but those unimportant details make all the atmosphere and remain after you've finished reading it

mah
indeed. what is an "unimportant part" ? everything in every book can be seen on as unimportant details, but without it the book would be something like this; "Frodo got the ring and won in the end".

Dexx
this reminds me of that 30 seconds version...where was it now? hmm...

Julie
That's it...that's all you wanted...I can't say anything though ...becuase I would have thought underwood too until you said something.

Mersie
Yea, the movie.
Mersie

Fire
mah, you know what I mean, tolkien describes a lot of things very detailed, other novels dont do this atleast most of them dont do that

mah
oh but there are lots who do. and I wouldn't call them unimportant

Dexx
well..that's what makes a book a bestseller and sepparates Tolkien from other writers

Senga
Hi Everyone, I have just joined the forum.

I found this forum while searching for answers to the questions on LOTR competition. I have found it very helpful. So thought I would share my answers too.

Mersie did you ever get answer to the last Anagram on Task 7? I gave up on that one for ages but I found the answer today. It really had me beat, every now and then I revisited it.

"Long is gloom if in"

Tthis is the page that gave the clue I needed. Let's see if you can figure it out.. if not just post a message and I shall give you the answer. I think you get more of a buzz when you work it out for yourself though
:-)
http://www.theonering.net/movie/char/gimli.html

I'm still working on that silly puzzle .. broke the code ok and can help with that if you need it

mah
welcome to the forums, senga!

Mersie
Hi Senga
I'm up to date on everything at the moment, just finished the code thingy, tried to log onto the site yesterday but it would only load to 90% and then just sat there and wouldn't load anymore so gave up untill just now.
Is anybody else doing the competition?
Hope you all have a nice Christmas and New Year.
Mersie

Senga
Where in australia are you from mersie? I'm in Brisbane

Dexx
hey there...
didn't try that contest in the end....anyway..i don't like anagrams very much

Mersie
Wellington NSW, it's a Rural town between Dubbo and Orange.
What part of Brisbane do you live in?

Senga
Moorooka South side :-)

pdunlap
"Back, you devils!" (Sam to the Ringwraiths)
Mersie, at Weathertop, Task 7, did you get the 2nd anagram?
Pdunlap

Mersie
Yes, I've got all the tasks finished so far, but don't remember what they were.
Mersie

Belguimrocks
Wow...It seems to me that most of these questions are from the movie. Considering in the book Frodo doesnt get the mithril vest from Bilbo, the same way as in the movie. smile... I read the second book and watched the movie...big dissapointment(the chopped the book up). But I still absolutely loved the movie... Anymore questions Mersie? I wanna get in on answering them

Dexx
the movies are long enough as they are...they had to chop something from the books out.

Fergus
Hey guys,
I just wanted to say thanks to Mersie for all your help with the LOTR comp too...I stumbled across this while searching for answers like Senga did...There were some that I just couldn't find in the book so I thought I'd do a little scouting around and came across your queries so 'borrowed' some of your answers!!!
Good luck with the rest of the comp...

webby
the anagram is Gimli Son Of Gloin. easy as the samwise gamgee one big grin

ajwoods89
" You will meet many foes on the road...........some open some (sorry i forgot the rest)
A really good site to look answers up is www.ask.com
Anyway Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile roll eyes (sarcastic) confused stick out tongue big grin laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

Dexx
i don't get it. Why do you enter the conetest answering the questions, finding the answers from here or search engines...what's the purpose of the competition?

Mersie
The purpose of the comp is to win entries into the competition by doing the tasks.
The more tasks you do and get correct the more entries you get into the comp, and if you are the first to finish the set of 3 tasks for the month you win a prize also.
I have forgotten what the main prize is, but it dosn't matter because I enjoy doing it, regardless of weather I win or not, it's been fun and I got to meet all of you.

Fergus
The main prize for the comp is a Panasonic Enthusiast Home Theatre System valued at $10, 599 - if that's not incentive to enter a free competition, I don't know what is!!!

Mersie
Hi everyone the answer to the next question is
Three golden hair,
Had a bit of a tough time finding the answer, but I did it. I lost the address for the forum here, and was searching for it when I found the answer. Then I got this email today from here, so I will put it on my favorites so I can't loose it.

misshavachat
mersie..... did you get the anagram for long is gloom if in ?

Mersie
Hi
Been searching all afternoon but can't find the answer so will have to ask your help
At the start of THE TWO TOWERS, the viewer watches as Gandalf falls through the depths of Moria with the Balrog before landing in a vast subterranean lake.
As he falls, what item dose Gandalf grab?

And to answer your question misshavachat yes I did get the anagram I have done all the tasks up to number 18, but need help with it.

Dexx
I must plug the bootleg to see it again for such a detail, but i'll take a wild guess...Glamdring?

Mersie
Thanks Dexx, you were right.

Senga
Hi everyone,
I'm back. been really busy with work and haven't had a lot of time to play. I see we have a few new people here who are also in the LOTR competition.

I was going to send the URL for this competition to a friend of mine. but I can't find it anymore. Because I have the task bearer in task tray and when I click it the page comes up in fash there is no URL. So if anyone out there still has the original URL please post it here. I am sure other people in forum would enjoy the tasks too even if they weren't eligible for prizes. It' fun!!

Mersie
Senga, it's just www.lordoftherings.com.au and it says enter main site and register. Ends next month anyway.

ajwoods89
Which sort of orcs attack the fellowship at amon hen? stick out tongue rolling on floor laughing

Dexx
umm...the uruk-hai?

Mithrandir
this people who ask questions are vouchers not fans, who doesn't know about uruk-hai, honestly?

Mersie
thanks Dexx

and to Mithrandir

Hey were learning, not everyone is a die hart, or knows everything that you know, we all have to start somewhere and I for one have learned alot since I have been doing this competition.

Dexx
oki...keep up the good work

glorfindel
work is not good trust me on this one.
smokin'

Dexx
well...he's learning. And this is not such a VITAL knowledge domain.

Mithrandir
true true i apologize, its just my friends even know about uruk-hai (one of them hasn't even read the books) but its probably because i tell him everything about the lord of the rings...which probably means i need to get out more

Dexx
well..these are the very basics they ask here...but, if i can answer, who cares smokin'

Mersie
Hi
These are the last questions I have been on the computer searching all day and have a few I can't find, if anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

1) On which former Government Facility was the set of Bree built?
2) What is the name of Bilbo's book? I thought it was the Red Book but this was wrong.
3)What item was the tower on Weathertop built to house?
4) What grave does AAragorn visit in Rivendell?
5) Who's tomb do the fellowship see in Moria?
6)Name Sam's horse that they are forced to let free at the gates of Moria?
7) What does Galadriel call the phial she gives Frodo as a parting gift? I thought this was Star-glass but it came up wrong, so did the phial of Galadriel.
8) Name the tree city where Galadriel and Celeborn live in Lothlorien? I tried Lorien,Beleriand and Valinor and none of them were right.
9) Name Boromir's Horn " The Horn of ------ "

I have 11 right already have to get the above questions to finish hope you all can help.
Thank in advance for any answers
Mersie

Dexx
1) dunno
2) There and back again
3) a palantir...i can give you the details but io doubt u need them
4) Elendil's...or is it Isildur's...dunno. (i THINK it's elendil's though)
5) Balin son of fundin
6) Bill
7) the light of earendil
8) blast!..i dunno this one. I only know about lothlorien/lorien, the land ruled by Galadriel and Celeborn. BUt valinor man?? do you know what that is?
9) don't remember exactly..the horn of Gondor?

mah
it was some sort of a abandoned military base..

Mersie
Thanks Dexx, only have 3 left now to find, anyone know any good sites to search?
The ones I have left are
1) On which former Government Facility was the set of Bree built?
4) What grave does AAragorn visit in Rivendell?
I tried Elendil and Isildur but they came up wrong

8) Name the tree city where Galadriel and Celeborn live in Lothlorien?

If anyone else can help, that would be great.
Mersie

Ushgarak
It is the grave of his mother, Gilraen, I believe.

Mersie
Yes, your right it was his mothers grave, I searched untill I was blue
in the face and finally found the answers.
Caras Galadon was the Tree city where Galadriel lived and Fortdorset was the Government facility. so I've finished, Thanks for all your help let you know how I go and if I win anything.
Mersie

Dexx
Cars Galadon...don't think i've ever encountered it.
I'll remember it.

tree
Hi Mersie

i stumbled across this forum, after my 8 year old begged me to help him with the quest. It seems his classmates are competing too. I really congratulate you on giving all your solutions back to the site, and getting into the australian spirit of fun. We are in Melbourne

We are stuck on two questions! What is Peter Jackson eating when the hobbits coming along? Also what order the characters go in, height wise. We have got six right, and can't work it out!! I am going dizzy trying to work it out ..... ha ha

Anyway, if anyone can help, thanks very much. Hope we can answer some questions in return!!

mah
peter jackson is eating a carrot

Mersie
Hi there tree
I didn't remember at first, but now I do, I can't remember the order, I just kept doing the puzzle and when I got one right I wrote it down, and started again and basicly just kept doing it till I got them all right.
Any other questions you need help with give us a yell, everyone here has been terrific helping me so I don't mind helping others.

And Dexx I got my answers from Ask Jeeves search engine, I just typed in the whole question and bingo.
Mersie

tree
Thanks very much Mah & Mersie!! You've made a little lad very happy today, he's the first one to complete it in his grade.

Dexx
yes mersie, ask jeeves was on my mind also.
YOu should really read those books...they're good.

Leah
Hi
i was wondering if any one knows the last anagram?
It is:

long is gloom if in

Id really appreciate it if anyone could help

Dexx
oh, i don't like these too much

Mersie
It was Gimli son of gloin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.