Whats considered a Cult Classic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Hawk
Im not asking for a list of movies but rather your definition of Cult Classic.

If a movie is a box office smash would that automatically deny it Cult status?

Would you consider Pulp Fiction a cult classic?

Run down a list of some quick Cult classics.

2D_MASTER
I do NOT think "pulp fiction" is a cult classic ,it did wonderful at the box office hence everybody has seen it. I think the definition of a CULT classic lies within the word "cult".

chillmeistergen
So did A Clockwork Orange, until it was banned. EDIT: you edited out your list, that's annoying.

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
So did A Clockwork Orange until it was banned.

I highly doubt it was successful in the magnitude Pulp Fiction was.

So did A Clockwork Orange, until it was banned. EDIT: you edited out your list, that's annoying.

I edited the out the list because I realized the thread starter asked not to post one. I know clockwork orange was on my list, not denying it. Annoying? Not as annoying as you.

chillmeistergen
What the fvck mate, calm down. I wasn't calling you annoying.

Solo
Donnie Darko

2D_MASTER
What the fvck mate, calm down. I wasn't calling you annoying.

Well I called YOU annoying. Hahaha. Why would you care if I think you're annoying?

Dusty
Grindhouse

Hopefully.

Strangelove
Grindhouse bill probably be one eventually

All three Monty Python films are cult classics, as is The Princess Bride, and Bubba Ho-tep 313

Smasandian
Grindhouse, easily.

I cant believe it only made roughly 24 million in the States.

exanda kane

Clockwork Orange wasn't banned.

And I wouldn't call Pulp Fiction a cult classic, it had a budget of around 3m, and made around 100m; that's alot of profit.

exanda kane
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
I highly doubt it was successful in the magnitude Pulp Fiction was.

I edited the out the list because I realized the thread starter asked not to post one. I know clockwork orange was on my list, not denying it. Annoying? Not as annoying as you.

Your the annoying one, kid.

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by exanda kane
Your the annoying one, kid.

Um.... ok, who the hell are you? Glad to see ANOTHER genius who does'nt know the difference between your and you're.

MildPossession
A film that made lots of money can still be considered a cult film.

As for Tarantino, I would say Reservoir Dogs is a cult film compared to Pulp Fiction.

exanda kane
Um.... ok, who the hell are you? Glad to see ANOTHER genius who does'nt know the difference between your and you're.

I'm the modern man who realises that on an internet forum the difference between "your" and "you're" is irrelevant; testimony to that is your retort.

WrathfulDwarf
As far as I know there are different ways for a film to become a cult classic. For me a Cult Classic is define as a film with a short budget which doesn't get a general release and is play in certain selected theathers. Now of course there have been films that are consider cult classics and have broken the rule. Such as Snakes On A Plane and Hostel. I'll run down a short list of my favorites cult classics...

Dr Strangelove
Cannibal Holocaust
Black Belt Jones
Master Killer
Make them Die Slowly (Cannibal Ferox)
Night of the living dead
Lucio Fulci's The Beyond
Suspiria
Django
The Toxic Avenger
Begotten
The Hill Have Eyes (remake)
Hostel
Snakes On a Plane

Smasandian
Cult classics are movies that have an small diehard fan base.

jaden101

uuuhh...the apostrophe comes between the "n" and the "t" in doesn't

way to make yourself looks like a complete ***

2D_MASTER

AngryManatee
The Warriors.

HisMajestyAC43
what about fight club?

Strangelove
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
As far as I know there are different ways for a film to become a cult classic. For me a Cult Classic is define as a film with a short budget which doesn't get a general release and is play in certain selected theathers. Now of course there have been films that are consider cult classics and have broken the rule. Such as Snakes On A Plane and Hostel. I'll run down a short list of my favorites cult classics...

Dr Strangelove
not exactly sure that Dr. Strangelove qualifies as a cult film, per se...

lordofwar
Equilibrium

Pandemoniac
I my opinion a cult classic is a movie that is notably different from the mainstream material, something that will only appeal to a relative small amount of viewers. Most important aspect perhaps is that it will deserve to be named a classic when the majority ignores or even dislike it, as over time the movie gains a respectable amount of fans and respect.

chillmeistergen
Cannibal the Musical.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Strangelove
not exactly sure that Dr. Strangelove qualifies as a cult film, per se...

It certainly was...and so was Clockwork Orange...then the kiddies made a hype of it.

BackFire
Strangelove started off as a cult classic, but I think it's now transcended that and just become a full blow American Film Classic. After all, it's often taught about in film classes about cinema history and such.

Though Clockwork, I'd say that's maintained some variation of 'cult' status.

Impediment
Rocky Horror Picture Show comes to my mind, foremost, seeing as how I grew up watching it.

chillmeistergen
My best mate's uncle is Richard O'Brien, apparently he's a right nutter.

bs1216
I like Howard the Duck! It is one of the most off the wall representations of the taste of the 80's.

Strangelove
Originally posted by BackFire
Strangelove started off as a cult classic, but I think it's now transcended that and just become a full blow American Film Classic. After all, it's often taught about in film classes about cinema history and such. Precisely wink

Solo
Originally posted by HisMajestyAC43
what about fight club?
way off hombre

Bicnarok
To define a cult movie. A movie that is unique in some way which has something different than the usual storyline which most movies follow::-- Hero gets in some trouble, meets woman in dire situation and eventually falls in love, against all odds comes through, dies in some heroic way or finds enlightenment.

The latest "cult" movie imo was "A scanner darkly"

Classic examples are imo.

Pulp fiction
From dusk till dawn
Matrix
etc..

ADarksideJedi
Star wars is a good cult classic. So is the movie "The Rocky Horror picture show" Horrible movie but a cult classic no doubt.jm

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Star wars is a good cult classic. So is the movie "The Rocky Horror picture show" Horrible movie but a cult classic no doubt.jm

Ummmm "Star Wars".... are you fawking kidding me?

Dusty
Lone Wolf and Cub

Solo
Originally posted by Dusty
Lone Wolf and Cub
It has a following, sure. But a classic? No way, not yet at least.

exanda kane
Ummmm "Star Wars".... are you fawking kidding me?

I'm sorry, but the original Star Wars has one of the most definitive and iconic cult followings of them all.

A Scanner Darkly is a great example of a cult film, from a cult writer and a cult director.

MildPossession
Indeed Star Wars is a cult film.

Röland
The Machinist?

exanda kane
Not really considered a classic though. Decent film mind, but I think it's still been labelled as "the film where Christian Bale lost alot of weight for."

Bale has a large following though.

2D_MASTER

ADarksideJedi
It really depends on how you look at it. I heard that cult movies mean only certain people like it. There fore being that not everybody sadly does not love star wars, then it is indeed a cult movie/jm

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
It really depends on how you look at it. I heard that cult movies mean only certain people like it. There fore being that not everybody sadly does not love star wars, then it is indeed a cult movie/jm

Erm well a lot more people like Star Wars than say, an actual cult classic like Buckaroo Banzai : Across the 8th Dimension. Both were Sci-films only one has a SMALL strongly devoted fan base , while the other one a GIGANTIC SEA of fans. True, some people hate stars wars but I say that 95% of the world would hate Buckaroo Banzai.

exanda kane

2D_MASTER
Um, yes. Star Wars is a cult classic. Does this mean that everyone who went to see the original and the subsequent sequels spends weekends, bank holidays or even work days lounging around in a Darth Vader costume? Hell no, but there is a huge cult following of Star Wars, where people will do that.

Pick a cult film, say Dr.Strangelove, Clerks or Donnie Darko and you would be hard pressed to find them meeting up en masse wearing all sorts of paraphenalia.

When you have a number of individuals who claim Jedi as their religion, you have a real life cult on your hands. You also have a cult film on your hands.

You obviously do not understand what CULT CLASSIC is, you're hopeless. Go on thinking that a MANISTREAM success like Star Wars is a CULT movie, you just proved by point how MAINSTREAM Star Wars is, hence not a cult classic. THERE ARE TONS of people who love Star Wars, hence not a cult film. Get it? Anybody who knows ANYTHING about movies would not list Star Wars as a cult classic.

exanda kane
A cult classic cannot be described in any definitive terms, its all subjective. By attempting to reinforce some kind of barrier on the phrase, you have completely missed the point of a cult classic.

When you generally have people putting down "Jedi" as a religion in a national census, you have a religous cult on your hands. How is this not the behaviour of a cult following? Explain that to me.

2D_MASTER

exanda kane
We are talking about the TERM "cult classic" as it pertains to cinema or movies. The definition, when talking to those who know what the words means, is dependant on a SMALL and underground fan base. Hence, these movies being shown in small festivals and midnight shows. For example, people have posted the following movies that indeed are cult classics:

Anyone that understands the term, no need for capitals, will realise that a substantial part of what iterates as a "cult classic" is subjective.
Attempting to define the term will only lead to meandering bickering, evident in this thread itself, thus proving the point that a "cult classic" is subjective in its nature.

Of course. But if these films might be determined (subjectively of course) as "cult classics", then what is Star Wars?

It's fan base has many more levels than any of those films you mentioned, from the casual cinema viewer to the most avid fanatic's out there, you mentioned yourself that there are thousands of posts about Star Wars in these very forums*. Where are the thousands of posts for those films you mentioned? A few, no doubt, but anywhere near the amount Star Wars has?

That is a huge underground following, one that has become so large it has even transcened the usual perceptions of what a cult following is, so much so that it nearly made itself an officially recognised religion. Star Wars is synonymous with a cult following, so much so that it is the definitive and most iconic cult classic of them all.

Even by your terms that a cult classic cannot be mainstream, Star Wars became the mainstream through its cult following. It's the definitive example.

*This is an internet forum, not your every day "mainstream" means of communication for the majority of the population.

2D_MASTER
Anyone that understands the term, no need for capitals, will realise that a substantial part of what iterates as a "cult classic" is subjective.
Attempting to define the term will only lead to meandering bickering, evident in this thread itself, thus proving the point that a "cult classic" is subjective in its nature.

Keep on trying to re-define the term all you want. Calling the definition "subjective" leaves too many doors open, and can lead to people calling anything a "cult classic". Almost anybody that actually studies film can tell you that you're wrong, it's well known and accepted that one of the requirements of a "cult movie" is a small following. Now you can go on giving your definition, but you will find lots of people who will think you are silly, calling Star Wars a "cult classic", must less "the definitive and most iconic cult classic of them all".

exanda kane
Keep on trying to re-define the term all you want. Calling the definition "subjective" leaves too many doors open, and can lead to people calling anything a "cult classic".

I'm not redefining anything. Anyone who generally studies film with any kind of conviction and intuitive capacity realises that intepretation is a very important part of analysis, and that even subjective intepretation, which leaves many doors open as you say, is useful.

I don't know what you have studied, but it seems like a very basic and superficial course.

I'm finding it hard to understand why you reply, when it appears obvious that you don't take any word I say in, much less that you deny any kind of cult status to one of the most iconic and followed "cult" films Hollywood has ever produced.

I suppose you would say Star Trek isn't a cult film too? Despite it having almost a large and fanatical following as Star Wars? Cult classics are not simply independant crossover hits.

2D_MASTER
I'm not redefining anything. Anyone who generally studies film with any kind of conviction and intuitive capacity realises that intepretation is a very important part of analysis, and that even subjective intepretation, which leaves many doors open as you say, is useful.

What so you're saying that definitions are useless. The term "Cult Classic" exist so that it can be used to refer to a specific kind of movie. Pretty soon you'll claim that "Wizard of Oz" is a cult classic. It is true that definitions have certain aspects that can be questioned, but the definition itself exist so that the idea behind the definition can be recognized.

exanda kane
What so you're saying that defintions are useless. The term "Cult Classic" exist so that it can be used to refer to a specfic kind of movie. Pretty soon you'll claim that "Wizard of Oz" is a cult classic.

Please do not post again. You're embarassing yourself. I'm doing this for you.

2D_MASTER
Please do not post again. You're embarassing yourself. I'm doing this for you.

You're doing it because you have nothing intelligent to say.

And I wouldn't call Pulp Fiction a cult classic, it had a budget of around 3m, and made around 100m; that's alot of profit.

Do you have any idea how much profit was made with the Star Wars trilogy? Do not go around saying Pulp Fiction wasn't a cult classic, then turn around and say "Star Wars" is. Dolt. You disqualified your own movie.

exanda kane
Well, irony is quite refreshing when it's that blatant.

I'd love to have taken the bait and explain just how you lost any kind of credibility, but I'm afraid I cannot indulge myself, let alone you. Do the forum a favour and put your little hissy fit in a PM, send it my way.

2D_MASTER
Well, irony is quite refreshing when it's that blatant.

I'd love to have taken the bait and explain just how you lost any kind of credibility, but I'm afraid I cannot indulge myself, let alone you. Do the forum a favour and put your little hissy fit in a PM, send it my way.

Hahahah the sad thing is, you actually think you make sense. You can't explain how I've "lost credibility" because you cannot, or you surely would. As for a PM, no, you sir ; are a lost cause. Now be a good boy and show how I've "lost my credibility", since it would be so easy.

exanda kane
Do you have any idea how much profit was made with the Star Wars trilogy? Do not go around saying Pulp Fiction wasn't a cult classic, then turn around and say "Star Wars" is. Dolt. You disqualified your own movie.

Show me the thousands of film threads on the subject of Pulp Fiction, show me the organised religion of Pulp Fiction, show me the fan events, the character impersonations, the subsequent merchandising that is collected, the fan webistes, the magazines, the fan made parodies and mockumentaries.

Show me something that constitues its cult status. Oh, but lets think a minute. Pulp Fiction was paraded as one of the best movies of the 1990's and it made a hell of a lot of profit for Miramax, not to mention it has gained Tarantino a huge following. And now you say this allows it to be a cult classic?

exanda kane
Hahahah the sad thing is, you actually think you make sense. You can't explain how I've "lost credibility" because you cannot, or you surely would. As for a PM, no, you sir ; are a lost cause. Now be a good boy and show how I've "lost my credibility", since it would be so easy.

The ability to make any kind of intelligent remark would be one. As I have said though, refrain from spilling this Sonic Youth bollocks on the forums.

2D_MASTER

exanda kane

2D_MASTER

Or do you argue that Star Wars is not a classic?

Ok, you just restated things you've already said, so I'll ignore most that post. That is your opinion, good for you.
Now for your question, no I've stated before, I think Star Wars, ep 4,5,6 are classics, not "cult classics". Actually I happen to love Star Wars myself, but would never claim that it was a "cult classic", It's too main stream, even people who are not science-fiction buffs watch and love Star Wars, it's main stream therefore there are conventions and such. When I think of "cult classic" sci-fi I think things like Logan's Run, Dark City, A boy and his Dog or Silent Running.

exanda kane
Ok, you just restated things you've already said, so I'll ignore most that post.

Thank you for conceeding an already obvious point.

Do you think an officially recognised Jedi religion is a normal sign of appreciation?

You have made it clear that you don't think Star Wars is a "cult classic", however you still have not touched upon the subject of the massive fanbase, which stretches far beyond anything mainstream. the above point, for instance.

Star Wars is nothing but conventions, but that is it's appeal and that is what has gained both the casual audience and a cult audience of fanatics. Unlike lesser material though, it deals with archetypes, not stereotypes.

Good examples of "cult" films no doubt, but Star Wars has simply transcended B movie science fiction into the mainstream, while keeping a hugely dedicated cult following. Nowadays, you simply can't judge Star Wars on it's own merits, but you have to take into account the nostalgia and the following.

2D_MASTER

Star Wars is nothing but conventions, but that is it's appeal and that is what has gained both the casual audience and a cult audience of fanatics. Unlike lesser material though, it deals with archetypes, not stereotypes.

Good examples of "cult" films no doubt, but Star Wars has simply transcended B movie science fiction into the mainstream, while keeping a hugely dedicated cult following. Nowadays, you simply can't judge Star Wars on it's own merits, but you have to take into account the nostalgia and the following.

You seem to think that those things are credit to Star Wars "Cult" status. Like I said before, I, as well as many other people seem to think that those things you claim fortify Star Wars a cult classic, in fact serve to discredit that very claim.

exanda kane
You seem to think that those things are credit to Star Wars "Cult" status. Like I said before, I, as well as many other people seem to think that those things you claim fortify Star Wars a cult classic, in fact serve to discredit that very claim.

Me, and the other 2 people that have mentioned Star Wars, want to know how you think Star Wars' cult following discredits it's cult status.

We would also like to know who "many other people" is.

2D_MASTER
Me, and the other 2 people that have mentioned Star Wars, want to know how you think Star Wars' cult following discredits it's cult status.

We would also like to know who "many other people" is.

Ever read? Yeah, go out and seek other sources, aside from the word and opinion of people here at KMC.

exanda kane
What a silly question. If your going to make claims like that, back up your argument with proof.

Röland
Not really considered a classic though. Decent film mind, but I think it's still been labelled as "the film where Christian Bale lost alot of weight for."

Bale has a large following though.

Good points, I just figured that it was one of those films few people know about, I myself had never heard of it till it was on the movie channels.

Still a great film though.

ADarksideJedi
A very good movie. I am talking about the old ones. and once again I stand it being a classic, in less someone here knows any proof that it is not.jm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.