Billy Joel (The Piano Man) Fan Thread!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ESB -1138
mB6hLf9VvZ4

Just for fan! Billy Joel who has managed to sell over 150 million albums with 3 number 1 hit singles (It's Still Rock and Roll, Tell Her About It, and We Didn't Start the Fire), plus song of the year (Just the Way Your Are), and album of the year (52nd Street).

rZ1_M_L_RSI

Recently in February Billy Joel released a new hit "All My Life."

BobbyD
I'm a fan. smile

ESB -1138
Who doesn't like Joel?

Bicnarok
Billy Joel is brilliant.

In the same league as other great composers Lennon/Mcartney, Bob marley, Mozart etc.

When theres so many "boy/girl bands" about, who just prance around and sing a bit. Such natural gifted artists like Billy Joel who know what music is all about are a breath of fresh air. Hopefully Ill be able to see him live one day.

The piano man song is one of my favourite all time songs, the way he plays the piano, harmonica and sings all at once is amazing.
John lennon used to do that, only with a guitar, harmonica, sing and chewing bubble gum at the same time, amazing imo.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Billy Joel is brilliant.

In the same league as other great composers Lennon/Mcartney, Bob marley, Mozart etc.

When theres so many "boy/girl bands" about, who just prance around and sing a bit. Such natural gifted artists like Billy Joel who know what music is all about are a breath of fresh air. Hopefully Ill be able to see him live one day.

The piano man song is one of my favourite all time songs, the way he plays the piano, harmonica and sings all at once is amazing.
John lennon used to do that, only with a guitar, harmonica, sing and chewing bubble gum at the same time, amazing imo.

I have seen him live just recently in Feb. Best concert I ever been to and I seen the Eagles, Jimmy Buffett, the Monkeys, and the Beach Boys.

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Billy Joel is brilliant.

Mozart ? Not really. Billy Joel doesn't have half the musical talent Mozart had.

And I really like Billy Joel.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
Mozart ? Not really. Billy Joel doesn't have half the musical talent Mozart had.

And I really like Billy Joel.

Then you haven't heard Fantasies & Delusions which is Billy Joel's classical compositions which are just outstanding.

Kid Kurdy
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Then you haven't heard Fantasies & Delusions which is Billy Joel's classical compositions which are just outstanding.
Those aren't classical compositions, those are instrumental modern piano pieces. The difference between classical compositions and instrumental piano music has nothing to do with quality - that's all a matter of taste - but has everything to do with the composer.

I realize that the term "classical music" is a bit vague, but most people seem to agree that classical music is written by the old and long dead composers, genre Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Wagner, Grieg, Fred Durst, Chopin, Strauss and so on. Not Billy Joel.

Oh and concerning Mozart, you have NO idea how many pieces of music Mozart has written... but we're a bit off topic.

Billy Joel is still cool smile

xenonon
Thanks for this! wow.. that's cool... you're a cool...

Nellinator
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
Fred Durst Blahahaha!!

Anyways, Mozart writing a symphany without ever playing it is an amazing feat that I've never heard of being matched, except maybe Liszt playing complex compositions by ear after only one hearing.

Zebra 3
Piano Man is my favourite Billy Joel song.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Nellinator
Blahahaha!!

Anyways, Mozart writing a symphany without ever playing it is an amazing feat that I've never heard of being matched, except maybe Liszt playing complex compositions by ear after only one hearing.

Beethoven couldn't hear at all pass his 20s or so. Writing symphanies when you can't hear what it sounds like beats Mozart.

And just writing symphanies doesn't count for anything. You can't go around saying symphaines > rock. Both have a unique sound to them and yet Billy was capable of perfecting all the sounds he wanted to do and then some whether it was country, rock, pop, or doo-woop. What made Billy a great musical talent was that he didn't stand on one genre like many artists do but insteads focuses on making each album sound different then his other albums.

Piano Man doesn't sound like Glass Houses. 52nd Street doesn't sound like An Innocent Man. The River of Dreams doesn't sound like Turnstitles.

Most people who find out what Billy sings are shocked that he sings Piano Man and We Didn't Start the Fire because they sound so different from one another. I know Piano Man is a slow song and We Didn't Start the Fire is more upbeat but let's compare 2 more upbeat songs and see how different they sound whereas most country/rap/rock/heavy artists all tend to have the same sound to them.

0OPkTUqr4d4

B2DeCCjWEpw

pepperjeff
I'm a big fan of the track It's About Soul. Unfortunately, I've yet to see him live.

pepperjeff
Those clips are really awesome. Thanks for posting them on here.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.