Suit to decide workplace 'hate speech'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
From Washington times http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20070610-111445-6957r.htm

I tend to be hesitant in believeing Washington times, considering the crap they tend to spur.

Giving the benefit of a doubt, what are your thoughts on this?

Going too far with the hate speech, or a rightful decision?

Schecter
depends on the context.

Fishy
Hard to say. The people do have the right to speak their mind even against gays, however if such things really do look like an anti-gay statement and they make these things public then it can easily be seen as homophobic, which makes it harder for the people in the city to trust their officials. Something that should be prevented. If they go out and form groups against their gay co-workers that should also be prevented as it's blatant discrimination.

If they however just made a poster defending the "sanctity of marriage" if you could really call it that, then that should be their right.

Devil King
A government office should be free of discrimination towards any group. This means you need to put aside your views. However, they can't honestly be expected to do this. The christian group was a direct response to the gay group. What we've got is two groups who've decided to wave a pride flag, to identify themselves under a particular idea. One group wants the freedom to be themselves and the other wants to remind us that their descisions are based on what they believe to be the truth of their religion.

But the reality of the fact is that there need not be any little groups in a government office; gay, christian, african, atheist, etc, because the existence of any one of these groups ,by default, implies the exclusion of someone else because they aren't representative of that group.

Devil King
See, this is the kind of crap that comes from these independently organized bible groups:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/DevilKing1138/godsgym.png

J-Beowulf

Is this a joke?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by J-Beowulf

Is this a joke?

Might be completely untrue. Considering the source. I got this link via e-mail, so I thought to share.

JacopeX
Speech laws are the most controversial in my opinion. I mean, there are words that come from ones inner feelings and words that are used for evil. Such as brainwashing the citizens with such garbage.

Creshosk
Marriage? The other examples I could understand as usually they're used in context to gay marraige debates...

But marriage could be talking about two people's marriage.. no hate there...

ADarksideJedi
Going way too far.First the hate crime thing and now this.Man before you know it we will not be able to say anything at all.What happen to freedom of speech?jm

Devil King
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
What happen to freedom of speech?jm

Nothing. Was there a special report on Kidz News that I missed?

debbiejo
Once government steps it's foot in, then it's too late to close it...It abuses it's power.

botankus
About damn time Oakland got back in the news again. Haven't heard from them outside of the hapless Raiders since the Quake of '89.

debbiejo
Anaheim CA is much more fun. big grin

botankus
Not as much rioting and looting in Anaheim, so I'll take Oakland instead.

debbiejo
But, but Disney Land is there, isn't it?

Oh, who cares, there's flowers everywhere.......Just stop and smell them.

botankus
I guess when I have to be, I'm more of a DisneyWorld guy. Not because I favor Florida, but it's too damn expensive to travel to Anaheim.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.