If humans made artificial life, would that change how you believe, in your religion?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison

ThePittman
Nope smile

Mindship
If life is defined purely on an empirical basis, then it won't matter whether life is naturally or artificially created. Both continue to not address the possibility of a nonempirical elan vital.

Ergo, my religious beliefs would not change as religion's input is not a factor in this particular life equation.

...and that's the rest of the story.

Shakyamunison
Cool guys, but where are the Christian? wink

WrathfulDwarf

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
It wouldn't change my views on religion. But it would certainly change my view in our progress. How are we to know these discoveries would be put to a good cause? Can you guarantee they will?

I can guarantee that regardless of the number of times it is used for good, it will be used for bad.

Storm
No.

Versyn Gaul
The one thing i cant help but to point out is that, It still took Life to create life, and if humans were created by existing life(surely possible) who or what created that life? But by the Christian axiom "GOD the Creator" This would make US Gods.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Versyn Gaul
The one thing i cant help but to point out is that, It still took Life to create life, and if humans were created by existing life(surely possible) who or what created that life? But by the Christian axiom "GOD the Creator" This would make US Gods.

Why wouldn't also mean that life is no different, basically, then non life?

Boris
I want my army of robots NOW!

WAAAAAAA!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Boris
I want my army of robots NOW!

WAAAAAAA!

Robots? These would be living things not robots.

Boris
I still want my robots though.

ThePittman
Originally posted by Boris
I still want my robots though. Here ya go robot

lil bitchiness

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ThePittman
Here ya go robot

That is not a robot; that is a transformer. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Here is a robot: robot

ThePittman
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
That is not a robot; that is a transformer. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Here is a robot: robot That's not a robot, that is an animated GIF stick out tongue

Evil Dead

DigiMark007
Scientists have been claiming to be on the verge of creating artificial sentient life for a while now. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. It would be fun though.

I've been reading a bunch of stuff on consciousness recently. One of the things they do is create a thought experiment with a "Zombie", a person wired exactly like a human (me, for example) but "without the light turned on"...as in, they aren't aware that they are aware.

The question then is: Is such a thing possible? Are neurological impulses equivalent to what we consider to be conscious awareness? Or does consciousness transcend that somehow to the immaterial?

Interesting stuff. There's no right answer within current science, so we can't know for sure. Certain theories endorse both, and they can test for certain things (btw, the tests we have been able to perform point to the idea that neurological impulses are in fact equivalent to consciousness...or at the very least, if consciousness is seperate from the material world, it is merely some immaterial by-product that has no effect on causal material reality).

So no, it wouldn't change my views. It would further modify my understanding of conscious existence, and the world in which we live, but it wouldn't persuade me toward or away from any religion.

debbiejo

FeceMan

Versyn Gaul
Well it should not change the Christian point view. The Hebrew text was translated by monks as days ,On this day god mad earth, and this day god made frogs so on, but the original Hebrew word was "Events" there were six events. This being the case an "event" could be a billion years, which conforms with scientific communities idea of evolution. God made this physical realm were the laws of physics apply. So science is just finding out the rules to the Physical realms game. I'm not christian but Shakyamunison wanted a christian viewpoint so i will be one by proxy.

Mindship
Well it should not change the Christian point view. The Hebrew text was translated by monks as days ,On this day god mad earth, and this day god made frogs so on, but the original Hebrew word was "Events" there were six events. This being the case an "event" could be a billion years, which conforms with scientific communities idea of evolution. God made this physical realm were the laws of physics apply. So science is just finding out the rules to the Physical realms game. I'm not christian but Shakyamunison wanted a christian viewpoint so i will be one by proxy. I could be wrong, but I suspect the Shakmeister was looking for a more Fundamentalist perspective. Yours is too modern and enlightened to have any fun with. wink

Shakyamunison
Well it should not change the Christian point view. The Hebrew text was translated by monks as days ,On this day god mad earth, and this day god made frogs so on, but the original Hebrew word was "Events" there were six events. This being the case an "event" could be a billion years, which conforms with scientific communities idea of evolution. God made this physical realm were the laws of physics apply. So science is just finding out the rules to the Physical realms game. I'm not christian but Shakyamunison wanted a christian viewpoint so i will be one by proxy.

Originally posted by Mindship
I could be wrong, but I suspect the Shakmeister was looking for a more Fundamentalist perspective. Yours is too modern and enlightened to have any fun with. wink

But Versyn Gaul, thank you anyway.

Goddess Kali
No, I would always think Christianity and Islam is incorrect.

Nellinator
Answer = no.

lord xyz
Originally posted by ThePittman
Nope smile laughing Good one.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Nellinator
Answer = no.

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Atlantis001
I wouldn't change my beliefs but I don't think they will create artificial life soon.

The better they will do is create some of those AI's like iGod, or bots that imitates some basic behaviors of an bacteria, and call it life.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Atlantis001
I wouldn't change my beliefs but I don't think they will create artificial life soon.

The better they will do is create some of those AI's like iGod, or bots that imitates some basic behaviors of an bacteria, and call it life.

An artificial intelligence that exhibits a true mental state would be a life.

Emperor Ashtar
I don't understand how it should, even for Christians it shouldn't change because GOD created man in his image and in his likeness. I personally believe in that philosophy, so, no.

Emperor Ashtar
I wonder why JIA didn't touch this thread?

JesusIsAlive

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Emperor Ashtar
I wonder why JIA didn't touch this thread?

We will never make life from non-life.

Violent2Dope

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
What I have is not a religion (to me and many other believers), but a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. But to answer the question, we will never make life from non-life.

That's Bullshit, your always trying to shove the bible down other posters throats and now your claiming you have no religion?

Shakyamunison

But you missed thw point of the thread. What if we did?

AngryManatee

Oh yes we will evil face

JesusIsAlive
But you missed thw point of the thread. What if we did?

What if Jesus told me in His Word that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, that all people will die in their sins unless they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation from sin, that Heaven exists, Hell exists, and that He is returning to take His church out of here before the events in the Book of Revelation commence--would you change your Buddhist beliefs and become a born again believer?

(Don't you see how your question could go right back to you?)

Shakyamunison
What if Jesus told me in His Word that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, that all people will die in their sins unless they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation from sin, that Heaven exists, Hell exists, and that He is returning to take His church out of here before the events in the Book of Revelation commence--would you change your Buddhist beliefs and become a born again believer?

Please stay on the topic of the thread or do not post in the thread. If you continue with this off topic posts I will report you.

Emperor Ashtar

And, Jesus will never come to save you. smile

Please stay on the topic of the thread or do not post in the thread. If you continue with this off topic posts I will report you.

How was that off-topic?

JesusIsAlive

It won't be the first time that you have threatened to report me. Have at it.

Emperor Ashtar
It's ironic that JIA was threatend to be reported when he asked a good question.

Shakyamunison
It won't be the first time that you have threatened to report me. Have at it.

If you wanted an answer to your question, you would simply start your own thread. However, you posted the question because of anger. This kind of behavior can be disruptive to the forum. Therefore, I will report such behavior.

Emperor Ashtar
^^^^

By reversing your own question when you were clearly baiting JIA and Christians, WTF?

Violent2Dope
God hates Bible pushers.

JesusIsAlive
If you wanted an answer to your question, you would simply start your own thread. However, you posted the question because of anger. This kind of behavior can be disruptive to the forum. Therefore, I will report such behavior.

We are not supposed to start a thread to answer a thread. But like I said: have at it.

Shakyamunison
^^^^

By reversing your own question when you were clearly baiting JIA and Christians, WTF?

I was not baiting him. I was making the intent of the thread clear. He was avoiding the topic.

Emperor Ashtar
I was not baiting him. I was making the intent of the thread clear. He was avoiding the topic.

Cool guys, but where are the Christian? wink

And, your not baiting him?

He isn't even off topic, infact he simply reversed your question!

Violent2Dope

He isn't even off topic, infact he simply reversed your question! yes

Shakyamunison

He isn't even off topic, infact he simply reversed your question!

I posted that on Jun 14th, 2007. Please get back on topic.

Violent2Dope
I posted that on Jun 14th, 2007. Please get back on topic. He is on topic in that he's quoting something you posted on this thread and asking a question about it.

Emperor Ashtar
I posted that on Jun 14th, 2007. Please get back on topic.
You posted that in this thread, the date is irrelevant.

Shakyamunison
You posted that in this thread, the date is irrelevant.

I thought you meant I was baiting him today.

How is this:

a turn around question for this:

?

This:
would be a turn around question to the thread.

But to make you happy I will answer the question.

No. Because when I was a Christian all I say around me was evil and selfish people who pretended to be holly. They used and sold drugs, and other crimes that lead me to believe that they where evil people. I would rather be in hell with the good people I now know, then in heaven with the people I used to know.

JesusIsAlive

How is this:

?

This:
would be a turn around question to the thread.

But to make you happy I will answer the question.

No. Because when I was a Christian all I say around me was evil and selfish people who pretended to be holly. They used and sold drugs, and other crimes that lead me to believe that they where evil people. I would rather be in hell with the good people I now know, then in heaven with the people I used to know.

So, because you have never met a Buddhist who has done anything wrong you became a Buddhist? Wow. You trade in eternal life and Truth for a lie? Wow. So you would rather go to Hell (for eternity) with good people than go to Heaven with people who are no longer capable of sinning? Incredible.

Shakyamunison
So, because you have never met a Buddhist who has done anything wrong you became a Buddhist? Wow. You trade in eternal life and Truth for a lie? Wow. So you would rather go to Hell (for eternity) with good people than go to Heaven with people who are no longer capable of sinning? Incredible.

Well, if I believed in that silliness, then yes, it would be a shame, but I know better.

Emperor Ashtar

How is this:

?

How you do not see it's relevance is beyond me. The question are interrelated, and clearly coincide with each other.

That's a very narrow minded view, because you've met a few Chrisitans that means they are all bad? confused

You seem to hold some animosity toward Christianity in my opinion, and your clearly playing devils advocate here.

Shakyamunison
How you do nopt see it's relevance is beyond me.

That's a very narrow minded view, because you've met a few Chrisitans that means they are all bad? confused

You seem to enjoy bashing Christianity in my opinion, and your clearly playing devils advocate here.

I enjoy most everything in life. I am also aware that there are good Christians, and I get along with them just fine.

This is a debating forum, and I'm good at my point, so?

Emperor Ashtar
I enjoy most everything in life. I am also aware that there are good Christians, and I get along with them just fine.

This is a debating forum, and I'm good at my point, so?

Flaming, Baiting, and Debating for the sake of argument isn't the same as discussing pressing issue's. The former(s) has nothing to do with exchanging idea's more so than stroking one's ego.

There is nothing intelligent about reporting someone because he posted a good question here.

JacopeX

Shakyamunison
Flaming, Baiting, and Debating for the sake of argument isn't the same as discussing pressing issue's. The former(s) has nothing to do with exchanging idea's more so than stroking one's ego.

There is nothing intelligent about reporting someone because he posted a good question here.

You are too silly. I was never flaming anyone. roll eyes (sarcastic) JIA has a reputation for going on and on with proselytising. He has totally ruined one of my thread before by cutting and pasting over and over again. I was trying to head him off at the pass. Please stop making assumptions.

Emperor Ashtar
You are too silly. I was never flaming anyone. roll eyes (sarcastic) JIA has a reputation for going on and on with proselytising. He has totally ruined one of my thread before by cutting and pasting over and over again. I was trying to head him off at the pass. Please stop making assumptions.

Whatever you say shaky, I'm not going to the trouble of proving something that's so obvious. Your obviously baiting JIA when you made that Christian remark.

Shakyamunison
Whatever you say shaky, I'm not going to the trouble of proving something that's so obvious. Your obviously baiting JIA when you made that Christian remark.

The one on the 14th? Do you mean one when no one was on the forum? Have you been drinking tonight?

mahasattva

"Don't believe in anything simply because you heard it.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
Do not believe in anything because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
But after observation and analysis, you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept and live up to it." -- The Buddha

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by mahasattva
"Don't believe in anything simply because you heard it.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
Do not believe in anything because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
But after observation and analysis, you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept and live up to it." -- The Buddha

thumb up big grin

Violent2Dope
So, because you have never met a Buddhist who has done anything wrong you became a Buddhist? Wow. You trade in eternal life and Truth for a lie? Wow. So you would rather go to Hell (for eternity) with good people than go to Heaven with people who are no longer capable of sinning? Incredible. It's stupid beliefs like that which made me decide to stay away from organized religion.

AngryManatee

lol way to avoid the question roflcopterz

maham

leonheartmm
first theyl say. look at how life is so beautiful. there is even a more beautiful soul that controls your body and not merely coincidence that lets the particles behave in the manner that they do. after all if your LOGICAL how can you believe that all this ORDER is due to simply coincidence. its the SOUL. ill ask a simple question, can ANY human make life????? or even close ot it????? NO! therefore there is a creator and there is a soul.

arguing scientist: HEY THEY MADE ARTIFICIAL LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!'

believer: so what does that prove? youve proven nothing. there is no definitive argument against the existance of god or the soul.{the other half of believers kill the scientist, ban his research and kill the ABOMINATION, he created outside god's will.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by leonheartmm
first theyl say. look at how life is so beautiful. there is even a more beautiful soul that controls your body and not merely coincidence that lets the particles behave in the manner that they do. after all if your LOGICAL how can you believe that all this ORDER is due to simply coincidence. its the SOUL. ill ask a simple question, can ANY human make life????? or even close ot it????? NO! therefore there is a creator and there is a soul.

arguing scientist: HEY THEY MADE ARTIFICIAL LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!'

believer: so what does that prove? youve proven nothing. there is no definitive argument against the existance of god or the soul.{the other half of believers kill the scientist, ban his research and kill the ABOMINATION, he created outside god's will.

Then they will want you to make life from nothing, even though nothing does not exist.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Why would the creation of AI change the view of religion?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Why would the creation of AI change the view of religion?

Some religions reserve the ability to make life to god.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Well, when a man and a woman have sex and a child is born...

Shakyamunison
Well, when a man and a woman have sex and a child is born...

I will not support their silly ideas. wink

Grand_Moff_Gav
laughing

Is there anyone in particular this is aimed at?

Shakyamunison
laughing

Is there anyone in particular this is aimed at?

It is best left to the imagination. wink

Grand_Moff_Gav
Hes still here is he?

Shakyamunison
Hes still here is he?

Him and all of his socks. big grin

Grand_Moff_Gav
Ahahaha

I see, I have a topic to post for him which he wont like.

Shakyamunison
Ahahaha

I see, I have a topic to post for him which he wont like.

Let me know. cool

Grand_Moff_Gav
Oh you'll enjoy yourself.

Shakyamunison
Oh you'll enjoy yourself.

Have you made that thread yet? confused

Grand_Moff_Gav
I need to wait untill August before I can post dissertations on the Internet.

Shakyamunison
I need to wait untill August before I can post dissertations on the Internet.

Why? confused

Grand_Moff_Gav
Why? confused

Its the Law! At least I think it is...they cant be released into public domain until after some date in August or else you could be faced with charges of...plagiarism!

Shakyamunison
Its the Law! At least I think it is...they cant be released into public domain until after some date in August or else you could be faced with charges of...plagiarism!

Please explain. What is it that you are wanting to post?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Its a 10,000 word dissertation, i dont want to post all of it, about why Modern Evangelical faiths (i.e. JIAs) are further from Jesus' teachings than Islam.

Thats basically it, but much to my surprise it contradicts nearly everything JIA posts on these boards, much to my amusement.

It wasn't my thesis but I think the rules still apply.

Shakyamunison
Its a 10,000 word dissertation, i dont want to post all of it, about why Modern Evangelical faiths (i.e. JIAs) are further from Jesus' teachings than Islam.

Thats basically it, but much to my surprise it contradicts nearly everything JIA posts on these boards, much to my amusement.

It wasn't my thesis but I think the rules still apply.

Well, I think if you give credit to the writer, it should be ok. However, I don't know why you have to wait until Aug. so, don't take my word for it. wink

Grand_Moff_Gav
Well, I think if you give credit to the writer, it should be ok. However, I don't know why you have to wait until Aug. so, don't take my word for it. wink

The Uni clears all work and exams by August in line with the larger SQA high school results.

Shakyamunison
The Uni clears all work and exams by August in line with the larger SQA high school results.

OK, I look forward to reading your new thread.

Grand_Moff_Gav
OK, I look forward to reading your new thread.

I think I'll make a few about hot topics, like homosexuals, and women and stuff. See how he responds.

Shakyamunison
I think I'll make a few about hot topics, like homosexuals, and women and stuff. See how he responds.

Look around on the forum. There maybe threads on those topic already. If you repeat a thread, the mods will move you new thread into the old one.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Yeah, I was intending to browse Lil's little directory.

AngryManatee
Felt this should be on here

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249628/&GT1=10252

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Felt this should be on here

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249628/&GT1=10252

It is looking good. Perhaps if/when they are successful we wont have anymore threads like "if humans are so smart with all their science why haven't they been able to create even a little life."

Shakyamunison
I can't wait; I'm like a fundy waiting for the Rapture.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
It is looking good. Perhaps if/when they are successful we wont have anymore threads like "if humans are so smart with all their science why haven't they been able to create even a little life."
Statement: This will only occur if there are fewer "JesusIsAlives" in the world.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by FeceMan
Statement: This will only occur if there are fewer "JesusIsAlives" in the world.

Well as long as the artificial life isn't used to make artificial JesusIsAlives that shouldn't be a problem.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo

We will never be rid of those kind of people. sad

Symmetric Chaos
We will never be rid of those kind of people. sad

I propose some sort of final solution to get rid of them.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I propose some sort of final solution to get rid of them.

Just remember I'm a Buddhist. laughing stick out tongue

lord xyz

debbiejo
I don't want them too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.