Fantastic Four 2 Rise Of The Silver Surfer reviews.Warning spoilers!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mr.smiley
This way we can put all our reviews in one thread instead of having them in three.The Official review thread for this film.

mr.smiley
Okay my review.
The first shot is of a planet much like earth being deystroyed in a matter of seconds.How Freaking cool!!!!!
This film basicly wants you wanting to know the end in about the first five minutes.The build up is pretty good and the whole movie I was waiting to see how they were going to stop surfer and Galactus.When Surfer says the name."Galactus",I had shivers shoot up and down my spine.He even refers to Galactus as "HE".

Some of the dialouge between the 4 is a bit lame but that was alright for me.The effects were great and seeing surfer fly through space was simply breathtaking.The team is handled pretty good.Nothing spectacular but alright.

Okay that was some of the good.Time for some of the bad.

Galactus is never realy seen in this film.You can kind of make out his face in the middle of the storm cloud but only if you actualy know who Galactus is.They even tease the audience by showing the shadow of his helmet off of a planet.Dooms part in this film is totaly wasted.It's starts off good and the first shot of him and surfer having a stare down is amazing.However,Doom is just a simple plot device in this film and probably has about 15 minutes of screen time in this film.Him and Richards create a device to seperate the surfer from his board.Doom later steals the board and is taken out fairly easy by Johhny storm who now harbors the powers of all the team after his own encounter with the surfer.

The ending was a climatic let down.Possibly the biggest let down i've seen in a film in a long time.Surfer tells Sue Storm he is being forced to do this to spare his own planet and the woman he loves.

That sounds pretty good but they totaly F*$k up the end.Surfer self deystrucks his board and kills Galactus,err,ummm,I mean the "storm cloud" if you will.Yep that's right.He deystroys Galactus.Why didn't he just do this earlier and spare countless lives on countless planets?
That didn't make any sense.Your lead to belive surfer died in the explosion but he makes his return during the credits,getting back on his board and flying away.

I don't know exactly what to rate this film yet.Surfer was done great.Doom was pretty much wasted and Galactus was a tease that was wiped out way too easy.

Wolfie
I was very happy about this movie.

I'm glad Galactus wasn't the storm cloud and I'm also glad that we didn't get a clear picture of him. Think about it. Why did Fox change the X-Men in the movies? 'Cause Hugh Jackman would look ridiculous in yellow and blue tights. Same with Galactus, a giant guy in a purple helmet. These costumes look great in comics, but not in real life. People deny it but it's true. Even simple costumes like the Fantastic Four need and update for a live action movie.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/news/comic-news/2f.jpg

Exact translations don't work most of the time. So instead of updating Galactus or giving us the classic costume looking ridiculous in real life, we just got glimpses of him. They didn't have to change him at all, just leave him as an almost-faceless being.

I didn't care for the Surfer making Dr. Doom normal again either. I guess they figured it'd be a waste to hire Julian McMahon as Doom if they weren't gonna show his face. They might be building him up for something big in the third movie.

StarsNeverFall7
The movie was easily one of the best comic book movies to date, I was beyond impressed. There was a great mix of drama combined with action and a bit of humor. From what I've read they are supposed to be doing the movies as a triology to cover the coming of galactus story arc. Which means we should see surfer and 4 against big G in the third film, or so im hoping. They finally got Reeds intelligence right, and you get to see him to a bit of ownage.

Galactus isn't shown aside from his shadow and having his named mentioned but the interperation of him I found to be beyond superb. Doug Jones as Surfer was just brilliant, right build, manners, everything. The movie really covered all aspects and hit them all spot on.
I can honestly say that for a movie everyone was expecting to suck, it easily blew SM3 clear out of the water.

What I can't wait for is Transformers...the trailer got a full theater ovation when it played...

H. S. 6
The movie was a really great surprise for me. I went into the theater with nothing other than half-decent expectations, and came out with a smile on my face. Some of the special effects were really mind-blowing.

The Surfer was done really well, no complaints there. I'd agree that Doom was more of a small plot device, but I can live with that. Galactus was awesome--it worked out so much better as a "force" than a giant purple man in tights and a helmet.

Like Smiley, I had a bit of a problem with the self-destructing Surfer idea. Why didn't he just do that from the beginning? Ah, well... I guess it could be argued that Sue was the spark he needed to stand up to Galactus.

Really great movie, and a pleasant surprise. 8/10 from me.

EDIT: One more thing: did anyone else catch the Namor allusion? "Venice is slipping into the Adriatic." As soon as Reed said that, my mind immediately jumped to Namor.

fanboy 1988
Maybe... But wouldn't you think the possible death of his girlfriend, family, friends, the destruction of his planet, and countless other planets be more then enough for him to say "enough" and just stand up to Galactus??

Galactus in the movie should have been done like a wild animal that's hunting, they mostly hunt the weakest prey that can't fight back so they wont get hurt and possibly starve to death. In this case Galactus would go after the weakest planets with weak people that can't fight back so Galactus would avoid injury to himself and can keep sucking the like outta planets and continue to live.. So when the big G started destroying the planet and noticed that Doom, the Surfer, and the FF4 were actually gonna fight back and might actually have the power to hurt him, more then likely Galactus just wouldn't wanna take that risk unless he had no choice and would just leave and go to the next planet..

H. S. 6
Originally posted by fanboy 1988
Maybe... But wouldn't you think the possible death of his girlfriend, family, friends, the destruction of his planet, and countless other planets be more then enough for him to say "enough" and just stand up to Galactus??

Galactus in the movie should have been done like a wild animal that's hunting, they mostly hunt the weakest prey that can't fight back so they wont get hurt and possibly starve to death. In this case Galactus would go after the weakest planets with weak people that can't fight back so Galactus would avoid injury to himself and can keep sucking the like outta planets and continue to live.. So when the big G started destroying the planet and noticed that Doom, the Surfer, and the FF4 were actually gonna fight back and might actually have the power to hurt him, more then likely Galactus just wouldn't wanna take that risk unless he had no choice and would just leave and go to the next planet..

I agree with you; I'm only playing a bit of a Devil's Advocate to the defense of the movie, since the other parts were done well. stick out tongue

Menetnashté
It all in all was a fairly good film. I didn't really like the first film, like most people, and I still don't like the Fantastic Four that much. However it really made up for all of the incredibly stupid lines in the past film by putting more adult like humor and better action. However I felt the surfer was short lived in it. I mean he fought four times and most of those were seen in the trailers, there's that two minute thing with Doom, which we saw most of, the Johnny chase, which was seen, and his little affair with the army was also mostly seen in trailers, the only fight that wasn't in previews was his final battle. The surfer himself I had no complains about, except I wish he'd stayed shiny once off the board, but I get why they didn't do that.
Also, Johnny seemed like the only one that did anything fighting wise. Thing punched Doom once, and choked him, Reed did nothing except get Sue 'hot', and Sue's powers were useless. Johnny did everything as far the F4 went.
Doom. I'm getting tired of him and I kinda felt a similarity between his presence in this one like Magneto's in the last X-men. They both seem very similar, and I hope he doesn't appear in the next film. He's been beaten down three times now, in the first one, by the surfer, and by Johnny. It's time to end the charade. His suit was however ballin'.
Galactus, he was portrayed well, it showed enough, the outline and everything and made me anxious to see what he really looked like, if they had shown him I have little doubt they would've messed him up. But I was happy with how they did it. And as for Galactus vs. SS. I was kinda like ftw at first but then once I realized SS was still alive and well I was happy because if he didn't kill himself I have a feeling he didn't destroy Galactus.

Marko
I'm going out so cba writing a review. I loved it though. Galactus freaked the shit outa a me, and sequel....I think so....well with the surfer anywho. Sue was cooler in this one, more use of the powers. LOL so freaking much when her and johnny switched stick out tongue Oh that johny bit at the end was awesome! hmm Good movie overall. Good laughs, good action, good!

grey fox
NOTE : I haven't looked at any of the above posts , I dont want Spoilers.

I just want an answer on wether or not it's worth spending the ticket money on.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by grey fox

I just want an answer on wether or not it's worth spending the ticket money on.

Yes.

Ultimate Hulk43
I haven't seen the movie & it might just be me but I doubt that Galactus is truly dead. He's way too powerful to be killed off that way.

Apolloknight
If you haven't seen it yet.

Go see it, now.

I went in there not expecting alot, and came out cheesing from ear to ear.

Great movie

Although I must admit, the only problem I did have is how Galactus was destroyed, I was hoping Reed would whip up an Anti-Planet Devourer Ray or something.

deathbunnyman
Menetnashte, i have something to say about your review.

'reed did nothing but make sue hot'
erm... who built the fantasticar ( Happy Dance ) and that thing that tracks SS. ben? no. Johnny?. no. Sue? ( smokin' ). no. IT WAS REED!!! he also showed some resourcefulness keepin the london eye (name?) up.

'Sue's powers were useless'
Who kept that thing in london from falling into the river? i know Ben and Reed played a part, but Sue was the main heroine here.

try to back up these points of view please.

Ye and i thought it was a great movie, but crammed into 1hr30mins. Its like Dooms done, SS is good, Sues alive aaaand..... O SH!T GALACTUS IS STILL ALIVE. quick quick quick think of something. I KNOW says the director. SS will kill him in 10 seconds by absorbing his power without any fighting back. FF2 should have been based on SS attackin earth, with Doom coming alive and stealing his powers AT THE END, leaving FF3 to SS and FF to stop Doom, then Galactus coming at the end of that, then FF4 shows the battle between Galactus and others. lol no Uatu the Watcher, he would not do well for movie, they were right to leave him out
It was a great film throughout, until those final minutes.
The Fantasticar was one thing i thought was kinda corny, but translated into film brilliantly. Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

did anyone else get a sense of Ultimate Fury in that black general? just a thought. though he died, so it wouldnt be right. and yeah bring on Namor! i dont want some pretty boy like McMahon playing him either!

Big Sexy

I just want an answer on wether or not it's worth spending the ticket money on. Better than Ghost rider but thats no big feat.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Big Sexy
Better than Ghost rider but thats no big feat.

I agree. I enjoyed the SS, but that's about it. I did not fully enjoy the rest of the movie and many of the parts made me cringe. I would not watch the movie again, unless I just decided to skip to the parts where they show the Surfer. 5/10

mr.smiley
Okay my more in depth review for FF2 Rise of the Silver Surfer.

After taking some time to actualy think this film through and get past all the wowing special effects that overcame the movie screen,I came to a luke warm conclusion about this film.
Thinking back on it now,for a movie that takes us through the depths of space the story stays suprisingly small scale.It plays out more like an over glorified cartoon mini-series that gets blasted into 'real time',than an actual movie.I belive this film was uch need of at least one scene showing the president of the U.S giving a speech on how life as we know it has been threatened,yadyadyada.None of the Fantastic Four evolve through the course of this film.The thing keeps muttering one liners,albeit some of them are funny.He never gets a chance to shine in this film.They attempt to get involved more with Johnny Torch and try to make him less two dimensional,but it realy never seems to work out.Sue and Reed have no such luck either.Their characters seem stuck in the first film as well.Dooms role is a bit refreshing at times but he's mainly a plot device and never realy gets payed his due in this film.Then we come to the Silver Surfer.How ironic is it that he seems to be the character that evolves the most through the course of this film.Not to mention he wasn't even in the prior film.The rest of the characters had about 2 hours on him!
He realy seems to be the star of this movie and pretty much is saving grace.When I think back on all the best parts of the movie,they seem to mostly involve him.While the 4 do have their moments,surfer definently seems to outshine them for the duration of this movie.

PROS: Great action and effects.The story starts off great.

CONS: The film never realy decides how to handle the climax.It builds up to a let down.The characters should have been handeld better.

Over all Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer probably would have been alot better if you had taken the Fantastic Four part out of the title.While the movie does have a few genuine moments were it seems to shine,it's left stumbling over its own feet.The saving point is the ultra cool Silver Surfer,who will leave you wanting to see a spinoff.

I would give the first Fantastic Four a 6 1/2 out of 10.

The second installment gets a 7 out of 10.

Well their's my half assed review!

Galan007
It was ok...

The whole "split SS from his board and he looses all his power" thing was a tad ridiculous.

The part Doom played here was also ridiculous.

I did like how similiar various parts were in this movie to some of the "Ultimate Galactus" comics, and I liked how Galactus was portrayed in this movie as well.

7/10.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by mr.smiley
Okay my more in depth review for FF2 Rise of the Silver Surfer.

After taking some time to actualy think this film through and get past all the wowing special effects that overcame the movie screen,I came to a luke warm conclusion about this film.
Thinking back on it now,for a movie that takes us through the depths of space the story stays suprisingly small scale.It plays out more like an over glorified cartoon mini-series that gets blasted into 'real time',than an actual movie.I belive this film was uch need of at least one scene showing the president of the U.S giving a speech on how life as we know it has been threatened,yadyadyada.None of the Fantastic Four evolve through the course of this film.The thing keeps muttering one liners,albeit some of them are funny.He never gets a chance to shine in this film.They attempt to get involved more with Johnny Torch and try to make him less two dimensional,but it realy never seems to work out.Sue and Reed have no such luck either.Their characters seem stuck in the first film as well.Dooms role is a bit refreshing at times but he's mainly a plot device and never realy gets payed his due in this film.Then we come to the Silver Surfer.How ironic is it that he seems to be the character that evolves the most through the course of this film.Not to mention he wasn't even in the prior film.The rest of the characters had about 2 hours on him!
He realy seems to be the star of this movie and pretty much is saving grace.When I think back on all the best parts of the movie,they seem to mostly involve him.While the 4 do have their moments,surfer definently seems to outshine them for the duration of this movie.

PROS: Great action and effects.The story starts off great.

CONS: The film never realy decides how to handle the climax.It builds up to a let down.The characters should have been handeld better.

Over all Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer probably would have been alot better if you had taken the Fantastic Four part out of the title.While the movie does have a few genuine moments were it seems to shine,it's left stumbling over its own feet.The saving point is the ultra cool Silver Surfer,who will leave you wanting to see a spinoff.

I would give the first Fantastic Four a 6 1/2 out of 10.

The second installment gets a 7 out of 10.

Well their's my half assed review!

I would have t agree with your review mr smiley, i just dont understand how it scored a 7/10 for you. You highlighted one of the biggest flaws of the movie, though its hard to highlight the biggest because the entire movie was a flaw, but the ending made no sense what so ever. what did surfer do...and why didnt he do it earlier? Maybe he is a masochist and enjoyed assisting in destroying planets.

For a movie that was built up to revolve around the silver surfer, there was very little surfer in the movie. The damn title insinuates that the silver surfer would have a main role in the film, but becomes an after thought to the story. There is no real depth in realizing his origins or any exploration of his character through out the film. It seemed to me as though there was no direction in the film, at first it starts out focusing on the surfer, and then shifts to Doom seeking revenge, and never shifts back to the surfers story until the final five minutes of the film.

The action sequences seemed un inspired and rushed, aside from the sequence of johnny pursuing the surfer there was no real action scene that envoked any kind of real excitment. So, if you have seen this trailer, you have seen the peek of the action offered in the movie. The final fight between doom and torch failed because of smiley's observation that the movie tried to give johnny depth, but seeing how johnny never succesfully stood out from the story there was no real emotional charge to it.

cons
The dialogue in the film was absolute drivel, The story was vague, and all over the place. the characters were undermined by no real engaging dialogue and the action fell short leading up to a shining example of an anti climax.

Pros
The actors playing the fantastic four did bring the characters alive once again.
The special effects for the most part were fun to watch.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I would have t agree with your review mr smiley, i just dont understand how it scored a 7/10 for you. You highlighted one of the biggest flaws of the movie, though its hard to highlight the biggest because the entire movie was a flaw, but the ending made no sense what so ever. what did surfer do...and why didnt he do it earlier? Maybe he is a masochist and enjoyed assisting in destroying planets.

For a movie that was built up to revolve around the silver surfer, there was very little surfer in the movie. The damn title insinuates that the silver surfer would have a main role in the film, but becomes an after thought to the story. There is no real depth in realizing his origins or any exploration of his character through out the film. It seemed to me as though there was no direction in the film, at first it starts out focusing on the surfer, and then shifts to Doom seeking revenge, and never shifts back to the surfers story until the final five minutes of the film.

The action sequences seemed un inspired and rushed, aside from the sequence of johnny pursuing the surfer there was no real action scene that envoked any kind of real excitment. So, if you have seen this trailer, you have seen the peek of the action offered in the movie. The final fight between doom and torch failed because of smiley's observation that the movie tried to give johnny depth, but seeing how johnny never succesfully stood out from the story there was no real emotional charge to it.

cons
The dialogue in the film was absolute drivel, The story was vague, and all over the place. the characters were undermined by no real engaging dialogue and the action fell short leading up to a shining example of an anti climax.

Pros
The actors playing the fantastic four did bring the characters alive once again.
The special effects for the most part were fun to watch.

I'm probably just being kind.The parts I did like stood out very well to me.Seeing the stare down between Doom and Surfer was a dream come true.It really seemed as if a page from the comic splashed to life.I think the cast is pretty solid,they're just not given anything to realy go own.Micheal Chickless is perfect for thing,but they write the characters part a little less than stellar.He becomes more of the films punch line every two minutes.I think the base for this franchise is good.I like the cast and how they potray these characters.They just need a better writter and maybe some better direction.I probably did score it a little high though.Must be the fanboy in me screaming to really like this movie.

fanboy 1988
The characters in FF4 are to one dimensional.. The rest of the characters did jack to Galactus, and the way the Surfer got rid of Galactus was a huge movie loop. Why would he be taking orders from a guy he could smoke in less then a minute?

I dunno, I wanna like it just cause the Surfer's in it, but they made Galactus seem like such a pussy. I was expecting some huge ass 30 minute battle between Silver Surfer and Galactus and eventually Reed uses some kinda weapon that stabilizes Galactus and then Doom, Surfer, and the FF4 all attack him at the same time and eventually weakens the big G to the point of him having to retreat... But I guess my hopes for it were way to high sad

fanboy 1988
Originally posted by Wolfie
I was very happy about this movie.

I'm glad Galactus wasn't the storm cloud and I'm also glad that we didn't get a clear picture of him. Think about it. Why did Fox change the X-Men in the movies? 'Cause Hugh Jackman would look ridiculous in yellow and blue tights. Same with Galactus, a giant guy in a purple helmet. These costumes look great in comics, but not in real life. People deny it but it's true. Even simple costumes like the Fantastic Four need and update for a live action movie.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/news/comic-news/2f.jpg

Exact translations don't work most of the time. So instead of updating Galactus or giving us the classic costume looking ridiculous in real life, we just got glimpses of him. They didn't have to change him at all, just leave him as an almost-faceless being.

I didn't care for the Surfer making Dr. Doom normal again either. I guess they figured it'd be a waste to hire Julian McMahon as Doom if they weren't gonna show his face. They might be building him up for something big in the third movie.

I kinda liked the way they did Galactus, but if they did show his face (not just the outline) I really doubt it would be as corny as your making it out to be......

People are willing to except guys that burst into flames, that stretch, turn invisible, made of rocks, and a silver alien that flies on a surf board. If they could make these guys acceptable to most people I'm sure there's a way they could've done Galactus.. In the movie we get quick look at his shadow while he's passing a planet (Jupiter's I think) and the shadow of his face covered a good third of the whole planet, to see a guy that big that wants to destroy the planet would be absolutely horrifying......... I'll admit if the did show the full Galactus the would have to change his appearance a bit, but if they did it right it he would breath taking and pretty damn scary at the same time

jmcnasty
I thought the movie was pretty good, except for the part where ss looses his powers after being knocked off his board.

I would give it a 8/10.

Wally West
A fun, entertaining film. A decent way to pass 90 minutes, and better than the dissapointment that was Spidey 3.

Although Galactus sucked, of course.

nimbus006
The only issue i have with this movie is his board being the source of his power. Made the movie seem worst than it was, at least for me.

K3VIL
I hope Tim Story stop saying bulls.h.it.The man stated Doom would have been back in FULL DOOM, like we know him in the comics and he also would have been more involved in the movie, but looks like he isn't.HOLY S.H.I.T

steverules
It sucked that Galactus was a cloud, I like watching Johnny kick dooms ass when he got all the FF's powers that was awesome

Supreme being

mr.smiley
I retract my 7/10 for this film.

I would now give this first film a 5/10 and this film a 5 1/2 out of 10.

janus77
pretty poor movie, 5/10.
story: 4/10
dialogue: 6/10
characters/acting: 6/10
fx: 5/10
action: 4/10

not enough Surfer, too much stupidity and seriously awful ending.
why did they mess with Surfer, making his board a sort of GL Power Ring messed.
why did they even bother with Galactus (which became an afterthought about 10mins into the movie), if they weren't going to give him proper depth and build the suspension by showing more of the wake of death and destruction through the cosmos?

the whole experience just felt like I was conned. I went in expecting a totally different (and much more coherent) movie than I got.

enjoy the trailer, it's better than the movie, and features just about as much of The Surfer.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by janus77
pretty poor movie, 5/10.
story: 4/10
dialogue: 6/10
characters/acting: 6/10
fx: 5/10
action: 4/10

not enough Surfer, too much stupidity and seriously awful ending.
why did they mess with Surfer, making his board a sort of GL Power Ring messed.
why did they even bother with Galactus (which became an afterthought about 10mins into the movie), if they weren't going to give him proper depth and build the suspension by showing more of the wake of death and destruction through the cosmos?

the whole experience just felt like I was conned. I went in expecting a totally different (and much more coherent) movie than I got.

enjoy the trailer, it's better than the movie, and features just about as much of The Surfer.

i guess someone felt that a wedding between superhero's is more entertaining than one of the most pivetol stories surrounding the marvel universe. The most loathed story aspect in any comic book, is a wedding. One of the most anticipated and enjoyed story aspects is Galactus. still not sure why they ignored silver surfer's story line, and focused more on dr doom, yet called the movie...rise of the silver surfer. Surfer didnt do a whole lot of rising, infact the majority of his scenes included him strapped down and powerless. there is just to many shit points to call out from this movie, but the point of this post was to agree with entirely with janus77

Menetnashté
Originally posted by deathbunnyman
Menetnashte, i have something to say about your review.

'reed did nothing but make sue hot'
erm... who built the fantasticar ( Happy Dance ) and that thing that tracks SS. ben? no. Johnny?. no. Sue? ( smokin' ). no. IT WAS REED!!! he also showed some resourcefulness keepin the london eye (name?) up.

'Sue's powers were useless'
Who kept that thing in london from falling into the river? i know Ben and Reed played a part, but Sue was the main heroine here.

try to back up these points of view please.
If you actually pay attention to what I wrote I was talking about fighting.

Kinneary
I watched the movie earlier today, and here's my take.

It's not a direct translation of the comics, but then again, it's not supposed to be. A few of the liberties they took, like the Silver Surfer's abilities coming from his surfboard were a little different, but for a movie, it worked. We're not talking about people that know the whole backstory, and we don't have time to break down everything for an audience. In the end, the only complaint I have is how easily the Surfer decided to betray his master, and how easily he beat him. Didn't make a lot of sense to me. But the rest of the movie was actually pretty good. It had one liners, but not an exhorbent amount of them, and it seemed to give Sue and Richard's powers a bit more credit than was given them during the first movie. As a big Spider-Man fan, even I would rank this above Spider-Man 3.

In the end, it had its share of problems. But by no means was it a bad movie.

8/10.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by steverules
It sucked that Galactus was a cloud, I like watching Johnny kick dooms ass when he got all the FF's powers that was awesome

Actually Big G IS IN THE CLOUD.

FF:Rise of the Silver Surfer is a whole lot beter than the first one. The Surfer was the best thing about it. I look forward to Surfer's own film. As for Big G he is alive and well.

manjaro
it was marginal ubut i still enjoyed it... i didnt like how the guy who played Reed had bulging child bearing hiips in his body suit, but i Ddi love to the part where they took the dialogue from the comics where ultimate reed gave nick fury that same speech almost word for word about how he's dating one of the hottest girls and he's the smartest guy on the planet and the guy who played lots of football in high school is asking him for help

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Wally West
A fun, entertaining film. A decent way to pass 90 minutes, and better than the dissapointment that was Spidey 3.

Although Galactus sucked, of course.

Spidey 3 wasn't a disappointment. Galactus was what he should have been.

The only issue i have with this movie is his board being the source of his power. Made the movie seem worst than it was, at least for me.

That was an interesting idea.

Mindship
My 2-cents worth...

This was way better than the first film. More action; better character interaction and depth (especially the Torch); and though they did make some profound changes with the Surfer (lose the ears!), I actually liked the idea of him needing to ride the "beacon" (nice!) to have power (ie, I liked it in the movie context). I also liked how the "beacon" rippled like water (and the quick allusion to Ultimate Surfer rising up out of it).

Seeing the Surfer in live action was great (I won't mention how many years I've been waiting for that). But--and I level this criticism at all films relying heavily on fast-paced CGI--Slow The F**k Down! Give me at least one moment where the shot lingers and I can take in what I'm seeing at my own pace.

Galactus was done better than I expected. I need to see the movie again just to catch the subtle images. My only real gripe with the movie was the ending: too abrupt and...well, it just didn't work for me that Surfer said he quits his job and blows Big G up (wtf?) I suppose however that what a future film might reveal is that Galactus--having never had a rebelling herald--wasn't prepared for the defiance and so was "easily" dispersed, but not killed, a tactic that supposedly could work only once.

All in all I liked the movie. I will probably see it again; certainly I will own the DVD when it comes out.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Mindship
My 2-cents worth...

This was way better than the first film. More action; better character interaction and depth (especially the Torch); and though they did make some profound changes with the Surfer (lose the ears!), I actually liked the idea of him needing to ride the "beacon" (nice!) to have power (ie, I liked it in the movie context). I also liked how the "beacon" rippled like water (and the quick allusion to Ultimate Surfer rising up out of it).

Seeing the Surfer in live action was great (I won't mention how many years I've been waiting for that). But--and I level this criticism at all films relying heavily on fast-paced CGI--Slow The F**k Down! Give me at least one moment where the shot lingers and I can take in what I'm seeing at my own pace.

Galactus was done better than I expected. I need to see the movie again just to catch the subtle images. My only real gripe with the movie was the ending: too abrupt and...well, it just didn't work for me that Surfer said he quits his job and blows Big G up (wtf?) I suppose however that what a future film might reveal is that Galactus--having never had a rebelling herald--wasn't prepared for the defiance and so was "easily" dispersed, but not killed, a tactic that supposedly could work only once.

All in all I liked the movie. I will probably see it again; certainly I will own the DVD when it comes out.

Great thoughts.

Mindship
Thanks. Hey, sometimes you can still get a bargain for 2 cents.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Mindship
Thanks. Hey, sometimes you can still get a bargain for 2 cents.

Yes you can.

K3VIL
Let's start from the most ravaged chars.
Silver Surfer
In the comics he possess the Power Cosmic.This grants him a vast array of abilities, from superhuman physical attributes to energy and matter manipulation.And this doesn't depends from his contact with the board.Even if separated from it, no US Army soldier could have hold the Surfer.Surfer just went through the planet, causing CASUAL matter manipulation cause he irradiates cosmic energy all the times.But fact is, Surfer controls his energies and can control them, he just doesn't walk on the Marvel earth warping everything around himself.Also, Surfer isn't able to kill Galactus, so, the major bullshit finale, was just a massive USE of CGI to make the ticket worth of his value.
Also the effects of Surfers energy blasts, were not much good.It was too hard to find someone that could create a good energy blast to show in a movie?ILM, LucasArts, do I need to go on?They showed us an herald tortured by Russian soldiers, what is this?Surfer can duke it out with THOR FOR GOD'S SAKE.

Dr. Doom
My dead Victor, what happened to you.Surfer "frees" Doom from his metal statue form, and then Doom, who looks like Palpatine, track him down and blast him with an electrical bolt that looked more like a firecracker, get some good CGI you Tim Story.Then Doom gets turned back in his human form, but keeps his electrokinesis.And he show up to aid the FF4 and then keep the Surfer power source for his purposes.His final armor design was good, but the device on his wrist was very bad looking, Doom has access to the best hi-tech, that thing looked even worst than a morpher from the Power Rangers tv show.And when Doom gets the Power Cosmic, he blast here and there, use it to drag debris and water to his enemies, then a "Super Skrull" Johnny Storm wrecked him without much troubles, and Ben knocks him in the sea with a crane.
And this was the FULL DOOM Story was talking about?Never heard a director saying so much bullshit before his movie came out.
FULL DOOM MY ASS.His armor couldn't fly or do jackshit of what is can do in the comics, Doom wasn't even near to his Ultimate or 616 self.

K3VIL
And before going on with the other chars review, let me say, that it was very disappointing having the Surfer in a movie, and he didn't even traded punches with Ben or a nova flame vs power cosmic fight with Johnny.Tim Story YOU SUCK

stickman618
Fantastic Johnny the invisible torch thing was so cool!

i don't have time to read this entire thread, and this has probably already been asked, but,

what did you all think of Galactus?
i personally thought it would have looked a bit weired if they showed him as he appears in the comic books, and they made some reference to his head shape anyway

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by stickman618
Fantastic Johnny the invisible torch thing was so cool!

i don't have time to read this entire thread, and this has probably already been asked, but,

what did you all think of Galactus?
i personally thought it would have looked a bit weired if they showed him as he appears in the comic books, and they made some reference to his head shape anyway

co-singed

Kal of Krypton
IDK, if this has been brought up yet, but why did Johnny have ears when he traded powers with Ben?

mr.smiley
I don't think his voice changed either.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I don't think his voice changed either.

Was his voice supposed to?

fanboy 1988
I think so, Bens voice changed when he turned into the thing.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by fanboy 1988
I think so, Bens voice changed when he turned into the thing.

I don't think Johnny's voice was supposed to change.

stickman618
they mention starting a family at the end of the movie

anyone else thinking Franklin Richards is gonna be in the next movie?

they could call it "FANTASTIC FOUR: SON OF A GENIUS"

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by stickman618
they mention starting a family at the end of the movie

anyone else thinking Franklin Richards is gonna be in the next movie?

they could call it "FANTASTIC FOUR: SON OF A GENIUS"

You might see the birth of Franklin. Since she isn't even pregnant yet, they might hold off on the birth of Franklin for part 4.

mr.smiley
I think Torch's voice should have changed though.Would have added something more to the scene.

Ultimate Hulk43
I saw the movie on Sunday & I loved it. I didn't have a problem with the Silver Surfer's power coming from his board though. The director & writers had to have something for Dr. Doom to do & had to tone down the Silver Surfer's power to make him a more believable character even though he's already an alien. Anyway, even though it didn't bother me much, I still would've liked for the Silver Surfer's power to come from his board & for Galactus to have a humanoid form so he could've been destroying half the planet. It would've been interesting to see although as some have stated it may have looked a bit corny. Even if it did, I would've still loved to see it. Either way, I give this movie a 9.5/10, it's definitely an improvement from the first movie & I think it even makes up for some of the inconsistences in the first movie.

grey fox
I saw the film last night , not expecting to much and got practically bowled over.

It was sheer AWESOME !

Amazingly good CG , frequent usage of powers (which is nice considering that the F4 dont have 'secret identities' they SHOULD be able to use their abilities less conservatively) , nice cameos (Frankie Raye , hints at Franklin , Super Skrull, Galactus cloud face and the Ultimate F4 line) , Johnny being less annoying , and Doom finally being back to his old conniving self and relying less on his powers.

Even Surfers voice didn't bother me so much.

8-9/10

grey fox
Too all those going on about Surfers Sacrifice at the end.

It felt very Surfer like to me, I'd expect him to do something like that within the comics if he could. How many times has he squared up against his master ?

Also I think his feelings were more alone the line of .

"If I do not serve then my planet shall die" , then grew to 'enjoy' this planet and it's inhabitant (Sue whom resembles Shalla-Bal ) and finally snapped when he realised it would all 'dissapear'.

Also on the 2 disc DVD set theirs probably more deleted scenes to explain a few things like in Spiderman 3.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Too all those going on about Surfers Sacrifice at the end.

It felt very Surfer like to me, I'd expect him to do something like that within the comics if he could. How many times has he squared up against his master ?

Also I think his feelings were more alone the line of .

"If I do not serve then my planet shall die" , then grew to 'enjoy' this planet and it's inhabitant (Sue whom resembles Shalla-Bal ) and finally snapped when he realised it would all 'dissapear'.

Also on the 2 disc DVD set theirs probably more deleted scenes to explain a few things like in Spiderman 3.

Did you watch the scene prior to all the credits?

grey fox
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Did you watch the scene prior to all the credits?

Yes, Surfer lives. But he didn't know he would.

left
absolutley horrible movie. i was totally dissapointed with it, minus some small parts (stan lee's cameo, and johnny's first encounter with the surfer)

the rest is just garbage.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Yes, Surfer lives. But he didn't know he would.

I knew the Surfer would survive.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.