Journey canned another one...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gideon
None of you probably care, lol, but Journey canned another lead singer - Jeff Scott Soto - who they hired in December 2006, to replace Steve Augeri, who was a replacement for Steve Perry.

They're runnin' out of options here. Wonder who'd be a good replacement...

ragesRemorse
i might have cared ten or fifteen years ago

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Gideon
None of you probably care, lol, but Journey canned another lead singer - Jeff Scott Soto - who they hired in December 2006, to replace Steve Augeri, who was a replacement for Steve Perry.

They're runnin' out of options here. Wonder who'd be a good replacement...

They go through singers faster then Pamela Anderson.

Gideon
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
i might have cared ten or fifteen years ago

No Journey fans present, eh? I don't see why. Perry's among the greatest singers alive, and Neal Schon is a beast on the guitar.

ESB -1138
All times are UTC -4 hours. The time now is 1:13 PM.

Alpha Centauri
No Journey fans present, eh? I don't see why. Perry's among the greatest singers alive, and Neal Schon is a beast on the guitar.

That doesn't make them a good band.

You've said on many occasions that you decide what bands you like based on ability.

-AC

Gideon
Not you again... (lol)

I'd say it does. We can debate the issue if you want, ultimately, Journey's members are talented. Steve Smith is a drumming legend, Neal Schon is a guitar god, and Perry is one of the foremost heralded singers in the rock industry.

Add to the fact that they're the 29th best selling music ensemble of all time, I'd say not only do they have the talent department down, but also the commericial/public appeal department down as well.

Hence why you'll never catch me listening to Paris Hilton. Bands like Rush, Journey, Led Zeppelin, ect. simply stand head and shoulders above the rest.

ESB -1138
Journey kicks @$$

Gideon
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Journey kicks @$$

Damn right. stick out tongue

exanda kane
I bring a giggle to bare, whenever I hear word of this band.

Are you serious Gideon?

Da Rev
People admit to liking Journey, now-a-days?

ESB -1138
What's wrong with Journey? I'll tell you what's wrong with them; nothing.

Gideon
Originally posted by Da Rev
People admit to liking Journey, now-a-days?

Yup. I love Journey. But, as Alpha already mentioned, I prefer to listen to bands with talent. Three of Journey's members are considered world-class in their particular fields . They make great music in my opinion and are amazing live.

Alpha Centauri
I'd say it does. We can debate the issue if you want, ultimately, Journey's members are talented. Steve Smith is a drumming legend, Neal Schon is a guitar god, and Perry is one of the foremost heralded singers in the rock industry.

Add to the fact that they're the 29th best selling music ensemble of all time, I'd say not only do they have the talent department down, but also the commericial/public appeal department down as well.

Best selling means nothing, and you should know better, first off.

Secondly, it doesn't make them a good band musically. There are many musicians who have blistering instrumental talent but can't write a good song for the life of them. Unless you genuinely believe ability is better than ability to make good music.

You're suggesting confusion as to why people don't like Journey cos they have two stand out musicians. That's not logical reason to think they write great, or even good, music. If you do, that's up to you, entirely subjective, but if I remember correctly, even you admitted that Journey's (At least Perry and Schon.) ability Vs their song quality was massively one sided.

I think it's awesome when musicians can play and play well, like Rush, but Rush write great music, so did Zeppelin. If they were less technically able, I'd still like them if they could write great songs. If they had the ability of Dream Theater, but wrote Dream Theater style music, I'd not be a fan.

But, as Alpha already mentioned, I prefer to listen to bands with talent.

I didn't say that, per se.

My emphasis was on you ONLY listening to bands you believe have technically superior ability, and place how much you enjoy the songs musically, second.

On top of that, you did once say you thought most metal bands were shit, but had a great appreciation for Disturbed, arguably one of the worst, least talented metal bands there are. I'm getting mixed signals.

-AC

mr.smiley
Anyone remember Jeff Scott Soto singing for Yngwinie Malmsteen?

I will never die cause I will fly----------------------------
To the other side-ide!!!!!

HAHA.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Best selling means nothing, and you should know better, first off.

No it kind of does. People only BUY music that they like. Which means if a band is selling millions of albums that means the band is doing something right.

Alpha Centauri
No it kind of does. People only BUY music that they like. Which means if a band is selling millions of albums that means the band is doing something right.

Not it "kind of" doesn't. Sales does not reflect quality of music.

It doesn't suggest that the music they make is great, otherwise you'd have to argue the same for Limp Bizkit.

-AC

chillmeistergen

Marketing; that's what they have to do right, nothing more.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Not it "kind of" doesn't. Sales does not reflect quality of music.

It doesn't suggest that the music they make is great, otherwise you'd have to argue the same for Limp Bizkit.

-AC

No sales does reflect the quality of music. People wouldn't BUY music that they don't like. People wouldn't spend around $50-120 for a ticket to see them in concert.

Gideon
If we're discussing the talent of the band, yes. But if we're talking about "do people think Journey's a good band" or "do people like Journey" then, yes, it does matter.

And no one is saying that every talented musician is a talented lyricist.

I enjoy Journey's music and I enjoy their writing. Because it's entirely subjective, I'm not forcing this on anyone, nor am I using Perry and Schon's undeniable technical ability as justification for it. I could sit here all day and bash the hell out of Rush or Led Zeppelin as far as songwriting and the ability to make good music is concerned, and you couldn't disprove any of it, since it is subjective.

And as far as Perry and Schon are concerned, yes. They are world class musicians, but not world class lyricists or songwriters. That is to say Perry's ability to sing outclasses his ability to write good music, and the same for Schon.

Then we have people like Neil Peart who somehow manage to be world-class in both categories.

Perhaps I should clarify, then, as you've made me think. Sort've revaluate my whole perception, I suppose. P!nk, for example. I listen to some of her newer stuff because it has more of a rock-flavor to it, like "You And Your Hand". But she doesn't even register compared to Dream Theater, even though I think she produces catchier songs. Who is the superior musician? Dream Theater, by massive degrees. But in this case, I find myself listening to P!nk more.

But that's a rare example. In the things I listen to, I've developed the opinion that in 99% of the case, the better talented bands create the better music.

That's true, in most cases. But, like I said, for me, 9 times out of 10, the superior band produces the superior music.

As far as metal is concerned, I enjoy Disturbed's singer more than most, because I can understand what he says and I believe he has a powerful voice. As far as their overall musicianship is concerned, I can't comment, because I'm not a dedicated fan.

RedAlertv2
No sales does reflect the quality of music. By that logic, 50 Cent is one of the most talented and visionary musicians of our time.

ragesRemorse

didnt mean to insinuate that i think they are un talented. it's just...i went through that phase a long time ago

Alpha Centauri
No sales does reflect the quality of music. People wouldn't BUY music that they don't like. People wouldn't spend around $50-120 for a ticket to see them in concert.

That's a dumb argument. Sales means people like it, not that it's "good". As said prior, that would make 50 Cent one of the world's greatest musicians. Hitler has a lot of followers too, was he doing SOMETHING right?

If we're discussing the talent of the band, yes. But if we're talking about "do people think Journey's a good band" or "do people like Journey" then, yes, it does matter.

I'm not discussing the latter two.

I enjoy Journey's music and I enjoy their writing. Because it's entirely subjective, I'm not forcing this on anyone, nor am I using Perry and Schon's undeniable technical ability as justification for it. I could sit here all day and bash the hell out of Rush or Led Zeppelin as far as songwriting and the ability to make good music is concerned, and you couldn't disprove any of it, since it is subjective.

And as far as Perry and Schon are concerned, yes. They are world class musicians, but not world class lyricists or songwriters. That is to say Perry's ability to sing outclasses his ability to write good music, and the same for Schon.

Then we have people like Neil Peart who somehow manage to be world-class in both categories.

Yes, that's basically just repeating what I said, isn't it? Ability isn't a reason to be a fan of the band which you SEEMED to insinuate, just a fan or appreciator of those two.

But that's a rare example. In the things I listen to, I've developed the opinion that in 99% of the case, the better talented bands create the better music.

But are you sort of forcing yourself to have that opinion BECAUSE they're instrumentally talented?

That's true, in most cases. But, like I said, for me, 9 times out of 10, the superior band produces the superior music.

But is that coincidence? Or are you convincing yourself of it forcefully?

That's what I'm getting at; if you have to blind yourself to the fact that they don't write great music just to favour their ability, I think you're missing the point of music.

-AC

Victor Von Doom

Naive.

People do stupid shit like that all the time.

pepperjeff
No one can top Perry. That guy has too much soul. Golden indeed.

Gideon
Originally posted by pepperjeff
No one can top Perry. That guy has too much soul. Golden indeed.

Finally. Someone who likes Journey around here. stick out tongue

Arctic
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Naive.

People do stupid shit like that all the time.

How is it stupid for someone to buy an album or go to a concert of a band they like, just because you don't?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.