Bible vs. Church

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chithappens
Does anyone think the church teaches what is in the Bible?

Example: - I was told that heaven was some grand place where I would become an angel and meet all my dead loved ones and so on. That is not what the Bible says.

- Far as I know, there is nothing in the Bible that even mentions benevolence (in that God is "all good"; people might say that but God never says this himself nor is it in any narration I know of).

- The New Testament is the only thing those old white guys in hot suits hand out from those cardboard boxes, yet it contradicts most of the Old Testament.

Just wondering if anyone else thinks the same thing or has comments on my examples.

debbiejo
Different denominations teach all together different meanings using the bible as their source and calling it the only truth.

IMO, if someone really followed all the teachings of the bible they would include all the Jewishness of it, since it is written by Jews and contain all their rituals.

chithappens
Originally posted by debbiejo
Different denominations teach all together different meanings using the bible as their source and calling it the only truth.

IMO, if someone really followed all the teachings of the bible they would include all the Jewishness of it, since it is written by Jews and contain all their rituals.

Kinda my point. People do not view Christianity based on the it's actually foundation, the Bible. Then again, Chrsitians are not taught the Bible in church. It is just really f'd up. Not sure how that happened but I can guess why.

debbiejo
I believe it started with gaining power and then strategies how to do it. Then along came Constantine, and that fit the ticket.

lil bitchiness
I felt compelled to reply to this thread.

I don't actually know Bible, but much like many other organized religions, it probably does not.

Otherwise there wouldn't be so many denominations, no?

chithappens
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

I don't actually know Bible, but much like many other organized religions, it probably does not.

I asked this question on a note on Facebook:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Why do those old white guys only hand out the New Testament?

This is one of the responses:

1) They hand out the New Testament, because the New Testament is the "A.D." part of the Bible. It clearly explains all the "hard to understand" teachings of the Old Testament. And consists the time period of Jesus' earthly existence
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The response is false. The new Testament directly contradicts the Old in numerous accounts. Ironically, the 10 commandments are also in the New Testament.

debbiejo
I believe the real reason they only give out NT Bibles is to only teach Jesus and the resurrection, everything else is irrelevant. Then it's go out and preach the Gospel. But in truth many of the teachings that they learn are based on Paul, not Jesus.

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by chithappens
Does anyone think the church teaches what is in the Bible?

Example: - I was told that heaven was some grand place where I would become an angel and meet all my dead loved ones and so on. That is not what the Bible says.

- Far as I know, there is nothing in the Bible that even mentions benevolence (in that God is "all good"; people might say that but God never says this himself nor is it in any narration I know of).

- The New Testament is the only thing those old white guys in hot suits hand out from those cardboard boxes, yet it contradicts most of the Old Testament.

Just wondering if anyone else thinks the same thing or has comments on my examples.

Like all religions there are oral tradtions and written tradtions.Originally posted by debbiejo
I believe it started with gaining power and then strategies how to do it. Then along came Constantine, and that fit the ticket.

The Bible as we know it was created by constantine.Originally posted by chithappens

The response is false. The new Testament directly contradicts the Old in numerous accounts. Ironically, the 10 commandments are also in the New Testament.

After reading and studying the bible I've comed to realise that it is a great book. Reason being is that it conveys many ancient ideologies, Political, and Philosophies. Even though I'm not a Christian I try to live my life by a good amount of things that the Bible says.

chithappens
Originally posted by Emperor Ashtar

After reading and studying the bible I've comed to realise that it is a great book. Reason being is that it conveys many ancient ideologies, Political, and Philosophies. Even though I'm not a Christian I try to live my life by a good amount of things that the Bible says.

Actually, the Torah contains the Old Testament also which goes before Constaintine.

And I do not disagree the Bible has it's merits, but it is a book that is being raped by the Church who knows it's attendants are never going to backtrack what they say.

Emperor Ashtar
Actually, the Torah contains the Old Testament also which goes before Constaintine.

I'm aware of that, I was specifically speaking as whole. Besides the Torah/Pentatuch is the first five books of the Bible not the entire old testament. The Tanakh is the Old Testament.

And I do not disagree the Bible has it's merits, but it is a book that is being raped by the Church who knows it's attendants are never going to backtrack what they say.

It hasn't been raped, The Church is the Bible. What people do not understand is that prior to the church there was no real Christianity. Just random sects and cults through out the empire. So, to claim there was some hidden bible that predates the church is really false.

Shakyamunison
I'm aware of that, I was specifically speaking as whole. Besides the Torah/Pentatuch is the first five books of the Bible not the entire old testament. The Tanakh is the Old Testament.

It hasn't been raped, The Church is the Bible. What people do not understand is that prior to the church there was no real Christianity. Just random sects and cults through out the empire. So, to claim there was some hidden bible that predates the church is really false.

The Church is the bible? Pardon my frankness, but that is a big pile of shit.. If that was true, then there would only be as many types of churches as there are types of bibles. Did I misunderstand you?

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The Church is the bible? Pardon my frankness, but that is a big pile of shit.. If that was true, then there would only be as many types of churches as there are types of bibles.

It's not a pile, the Bible as we know it simply did not exsist prior to the Church. Yes, there are many variations of said Bible, but they usually differentiate between translations only. Bottomline is that the Bible as we know it is the Bible.

Shakyamunison
It's not a pile, the Bible as we know it did not exsist prior to the Church. Yes, there are many variations of the Bible, but they usually differentiate between translations only.

Jesus created his church long before there was a bible. That is according to the bible.

Emperor Ashtar
Jesus created his church long before there was a bible. That is according to the bible.

Jesus is not a historical character, he's a jewish archetype painted with hermetic ideologies. There is no real evidence of an individual called Jesus of Nazereth.

Shakyamunison
Jesus is not a historical character, he's a jewish archetype painted with hermetic ideologies. There is no real evidence of an individual called Jesus of Nazereth.
There is documentation of a man named Jesus being crucified by the Romans at about the right time. Therefore, it is reasonable to believe he was the founder of Christianity. However, we are talking about something that has very little evidence one way or the other, so reason is all we can rely on.

Emperor Ashtar
There is documentation of a man named Jesus being crucified by the Romans at about the right time. Therefore, it is reasonable to believe he was the founder of Christianity. However, we are talking about something that has very little evidence one way or the other, so reason is all we can rely on.

What document?

Shakyamunison
What document?

I do not have access to this document. I remember watching a show on the History Channel about Jesus, and they dealt with the issue of historical accounts of Jesus. They concluded that there was only one account from the time of Jesus of his death. Sorry, but I am just working off of memory.

Emperor Ashtar
It's okay, I'll check out though. Personally, sounds like a hoax.

Shakyamunison
It's okay, I'll check out though. Personally, sounds like a hoax.

Let me know...

chithappens
I'm aware of that, I was specifically speaking as whole. Besides the Torah/Pentatuel is the first five books of the Bible not the entire old testament.

If you actually go back and look at the translations of the Torah, rather than the Bible, they differ greatly even in Genesis.

Example: "Made in his/my image" in the Bible is "Made in our image" in translations of the Torah.

The Church is not the Bible. As Lil B said:

Originally posted by lil bitchiness

To a believer, the Bible is a book of fact. The way the church makes it out, you could say Jesus walking on water was a metaphor and so was Moses parting the Red Sea and all the plagues! The church keeps saying crap about heaven and this grand land where you meet all you dead kin folk and go hang out for eternity. The Bible never says that.

Emperor Ashtar
If you actually go back and look at the translations of the Torah, rather than the Bible, they differ greatly even in Genesis.

I'm aware of this as well, but that is not my point. The "Bible" as we know it did not exsist prior to the church. The Torah and several scriptures did, but not the Bible.

Example: "Made in his/my image" in the Bible is "Made in our image" in translations of the Torah.

The Church is not the Bible.

Yes, it is, there was no Bible prior to the church. These scriptures did exsist, but there was no Bible in general.

HolyTheologian
Brother Mark Burton: Greetings! in the name of the Lord Jesus who is God Almighty. Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

chithappens: Does anyone think the church teaches what is in the Bible?

Brother Mark Burton: Fool! Liar! Godless infidel! No scripture contradicts another scripture because it is written in the holy scriptures that, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" (II Timothy 3:16) Therefore, all of holy scripture harmonizes or blends perfectly together because God Almighty wrote the words of holy scripture.

However, if a man misuses holy scripture then that man is not able to rightly divide or rightly interpret the holy scriptures. As for churches teaching things that contradicts the holy scriptures--why certainly yes because pratically all of the churches here in the United States, and abroad teach things that contradict the holy scriptures. Such as the doctrine of the trinity, unscriptural new birth, women preachers,

HolyTheologian
However, if a man misuses holy scripture then that man is not able to rightly divide or rightly interpret the holy scriptures. As for churches teaching things that contradicts the holy scriptures--why certainly yes because pratically all of the churches here in the United States, and abroad teach things that contradict the holy scriptures. Such as the doctrine of the trinity, unscriptural new birth, women preachers, following a false religion called Christianity and other things that time would fail me to go into now. Although if ye desire the truth of God then please go to my church website which is called truth of God or do a google search for my church which is First Church of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Peace be unto thee!

Thine in the name of the Lord Jesus who is God Almighty,
Brother Mark Burton
Church website: truth of God
Pastor and General Overseer: Apostle Gino Jennings

Alliance
Why is this forum such a freak show.

chithappens
Originally posted by HolyTheologian

However, if a man misuses holy scripture then that man is not able to rightly divide or rightly interpret the holy scriptures. As for churches teaching things that contradicts the holy scriptures--why certainly yes because pratically all of the churches here in the United States, and abroad teach things that contradict the holy scriptures. Such as the doctrine of the trinity, unscriptural new birth, women preachers,

Didn't you just make my point?

Nellinator
It's okay, I'll check out though. Personally, sounds like a hoax. Tacticus the Roman historian. There is also the Talmud, Pliny and Josephus to look at, and the lives of the disciples, especially their matyrdom. Scholars almost unianimously agree that Jesus existed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.