Two Truths -which one is correct?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Black Ghost
Taking out of the picture previous threads on Truth, etc... and assuming the following is true, I beleive there are Two Fundamental Truth systems in the world. Some might disagree dictionarily, but I think that if "truth" is simply "what is beleived", then there are two ways to think of and define "truth".

The first is the Truth as many are lead to beleive it by definition: the pure, scientific, raw fact. The way we beleive things to be according to deductive reasoning (take out theories, and lets say everyone assumes all theories correct). It may be what we see as real around us, or the pure basic natural way of things. We'll call this Factual Truth.

Secondly, there is the other kind of "truths". These constitute the way each individual's perspective reflects on the world. Factually, they may be considered incorrect, they may be the 'unreasonable' or 'logic-defying' beleives. Trying to achieve an impossible dream for instance. Or making yourself beleive or put faith into something with no real proof, sometimes a buffer to reality -purposefully. This is what I call Human Truth.

There are positives and negatives to both in my mind, which I will not yet state. My question is: Do you beleive that there are two truths?

And secondly, assuming there are, which is the most important?

(Tell me if you do not understand this, and I will explain more in-depth.)

Magee
Wouldn't what we make ourselves beleive, with opinion and no factual evidence be classed as faith?

The Black Ghost
Yes, I suppose, but not in all cases. Sometimes it is "blinders to reality" in which a person would be trying to think purposefully of their own solution to something they know is not correct. For instance: using the evolution theory again, maybe you beleive it, maybe you just dont want to beleive it, for your own benefit. A 'self-implimented truth' so to speak. Its hard to explain, probably harder to understand.

I think there is a good reason to have our own beleifs versus plain factual truths though. It gives reason for life, and it allows for free thought. Factual truth, in this definition, may help us find what is real and not, but ultimately, it strips down in many ways, the level of imagination and adventure many people like to feel. I dont know, thats me.

Magee
People can believe what ever they want. Some one wants to think a giant space monkey created us and the universe thats fine, just don't go pushing that on me or any other person. People can have faith and believe what they choose even with out no evidence or facts to back it up. As for you question there is no correct truth, we may be able to study, test and gather information on certain things but that does not make them un questionably true and human truth as you have described it would not be truth in the true sense of the word now would it? More belief than anything.

Mindship
Life's a balancing act, between human truth and factual truth.

King Kandy
Human truth doesn't exist... It's either right or wrong.

Magee
What is right and wrong? Just words created and labeled by us humans.

King Kandy
No, I'm speaking of factual accuracy... If your "Personal Truth" is that the moon is made of cheese, then I would have to say that that truth is inaccurate.

The Black Ghost
But it depends what it means in context- is the innacuracy worth beleiving more than the truth -or at least as humans might see it? Im not bringing up any specific topics (I can think of some major debate topics from recently), but I think there are times when going by complete accurate truth leads down a bad road.

King Kandy
Well then you'd be wrong. No matter what sort of road it might lead you down, the truth is the truth.

Drusilla
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
Taking out of the picture previous threads on Truth, etc... and assuming the following is true, I beleive there are Two Fundamental Truth systems in the world. Some might disagree dictionarily, but I think that if "truth" is simply "what is beleived", then there are two ways to think of and define "truth".

The first is the Truth as many are lead to beleive it by definition: the pure, scientific, raw fact. The way we beleive things to be according to deductive reasoning (take out theories, and lets say everyone assumes all theories correct). It may be what we see as real around us, or the pure basic natural way of things. We'll call this Factual Truth.

Secondly, there is the other kind of "truths". These constitute the way each individual's perspective reflects on the world. Factually, they may be considered incorrect, they may be the 'unreasonable' or 'logic-defying' beleives. Trying to achieve an impossible dream for instance. Or making yourself beleive or put faith into something with no real proof, sometimes a buffer to reality -purposefully. This is what I call Human Truth.

There are positives and negatives to both in my mind, which I will not yet state. My question is: Do you beleive that there are two truths?

And secondly, assuming there are, which is the most important?

(Tell me if you do not understand this, and I will explain more in-depth.)

Truth is not "what is believed", it's more like "what is known and proven".
And what if I'm a sociopath who thinks killing people is a way to serve my human truth? Am I forgiven?
What you call "human truth" is what we call faith or personal beliefs which are not (always) right. "Trying to achieve an impossible dream" is not "human truth", but ambition or persevarence, or something like this.

The Black Ghost
Thats a different way to look at it I suppose

chithappens
] Im not bringing up any specific topics (I can think of some major debate topics from recently), but I think there are times when going by complete accurate truth leads down a bad road.

Example please.

The Black Ghost
I said, Im not going to use them, because that would get this off track, and I was more interested in what others thought than what my own opinions were and then having everyone argue over those.

If you think about it though, you should be able to come up with a few. But if not, then nevermind.

chithappens
I can easily think of some but you can't get to the meat of this topic without addressing specifics. Speaking generally is doing nothing.

And please refrain from sarcastic insults in "philosophical discussion." That certainly leads nowhere.

The Black Ghost
Insult....?

Atlantis001
Factual truth is a human truth because its US who choose to beleive in it.

The Black Ghost
Well, whatever words describe "Imaginative Truth" I guess. Its really hard to explain what I was thinking when I made this, but it just seemed to be more a fact versus fantasy thing.

Symmetric Chaos
I believe quantum mechanics has shown us that both can be 100% true.

King Kandy
What truths lead us the wrong way?

Atlantis001
Well, whatever words describe "Imaginative Truth" I guess. Its really hard to explain what I was thinking when I made this, but it just seemed to be more a fact versus fantasy thing.

It was a good question. You gave the starting point which was the fact versus fantasy thing and we develop it by exploring the question.

A good way to think about it is by noticing that "factual truth" and "human truth" are only different definitions. Both are believed by people.

I mean, they are not validated alone by themselves. Its us who choose between then.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.