Will Connery And Davies' Absences Hurt This Film?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ahnold
Hey guys. This is my first thread (and, indeed, post) to the brand-spankin' new Indy forum, btw (heh - I'm still in disbelief that this thing actually *finally* exists lol!), so go easy on me stick out tongue .

My question is simply this: now that we know for certain that Sean Connery and John Rhys Davies will *not* be reprising their roles (as Prof. Henry Jones Sr. and Sallah, respectively) in the upcoming Indy IV, do you guys feel that their absences are going to adversely affect the film? True, neither character appeared in all 3 movies (Connery's, of course, only actually appeared in no. 3), but with the old films now so ingrained in our collective minds, does anyone think that the upcoming movie will suffer because of these characters' absences? Thoughts appreciated.

Hoping that this will soon become the coolest forum here at the KMC yes . See you guys around!

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Ahnold
Hey guys. This is my first thread (and, indeed, post) to the brand-spankin' new Indy forum, btw (heh - I'm still in disbelief that this thing actually *finally* exists lol!), so go easy on me stick out tongue .

My question is simply this: now that we know for certain that Sean Connery and John Rhys Davies will *not* be reprising their roles (as Prof. Henry Jones Sr. and Sallah, respectively) in the upcoming Indy IV, do you guys feel that their absences are going to adversely affect the film? True, neither character appeared in all 3 movies (Connery's, of course, only actually appeared in no. 3), but with the old films now so ingrained in our collective minds, does anyone think that the upcoming movie will suffer because of these characters' absences? Thoughts appreciated.

Hoping that this will soon become the coolest forum here at the KMC yes . See you guys around!

The films did fine with their absense, but I would not mind seeing Connery one last time reprising his role as Henry Jones. His presense made the last crusade more comical than the rest of the films and I enjoyed that.

Strangelove
Sean Connery was not in Raiders, and neither were in Temple of Doom, and both were fine films. I don't think it will affect them adversely.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Sean Connery's absence will hurt this a whole lot.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Sean Connery's absence will hurt this a whole lot.

Explain.

Kazenji
I want to know where did you get your info about sean connary won't be returning all i know is John Rhys davis won't be.

Don't worry i just found out about it

amity75
It doesn't matter if they're not in it. It's all about Indy. Though there are a lot of rumours about Connery being in poor health right now. Hope he's OK.

History Buff
I think i'm in he minority here but i think COnnery NOT being in Indy4 is a Good thing. Raiders, IMO, was far and away the best of the first 3. Although i liked Last Crusade i felt it was too comedic and somewhat silly. Indy having his dad as a sidekick didn't work for me. Indy works much better alone ala James Bond. He doesn't need a sidekick to function. I will miss Sallah however.

ragesRemorse
though connery was a perfect fit for Indy's pop, and added much spice to the film. I think one movie in the series is enough for him. This is going to be or most likely going to be fords last indy movie. At this point indy fans just want to see indy back. Having connery reprise his role would take to much focus away from indy's character to me. I think connery not being in the movie will actually help it. Instead of people going to see indy and his dad, they will be going to see indy

Kazenji
If it is fords last indy movie they could allways go down the james bond path for indy get a different actor to play him for another movie.

amity75
I hope that in 20 years time CGI has advanced to the level where we can create 100% realistic humans on film then we could have loads of Indy movies with a 40yr old Ford. That would be awesome. Ford IS Indiana Jones and unlike Bond or Batman nobody else could or should play him.

JaccTheRipper
Originally posted by amity75
I hope that in 20 years time CGI has advanced to the level where we can create 100% realistic humans on film then we could have loads of Indy movies with a 40yr old Ford. That would be awesome. Ford IS Indiana Jones and unlike Bond or Batman nobody else could or should play him.

very well put. smile

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by amity75

Thats what everyone including me thought about Bond and connery, until david craig showed us how bond should have been played all along

EHmasterJedi
I dont think having neither of them in the film will hurt it, as we know the movies are just as good without them, but in general i think everyone was looking forward to seeing some of the old characters back other than just Indiana, i think its disappointing but not the end of the world.

WrathfulDwarf
Connery not really...Davis....yeah.

darthmaul1
I think Shia Lebouf will take the place of Sala, not the character but just as a sidekick
and I hope that the will put Sean Connery in at the end for a cameo, maybe Indy will arrive home and see his dad, and say I'm home?
then it will end
I don't think they will do another after this Harrison is getting too old.

willofthewisp
It's not that it will hurt the film, per se, but how are we supposed to learn anything about Indy now? Usually actions speak louder than words, but with Indy, we gain insight from him through other characters, like how he is with Sallah and his dad and Marion and Marcus and people like that. So without either his dad or Sallah in this one, it just seems like it will be detached from the other movies, like it won't belong.

darthmaul1
None of those people were in the temple of doom.

DoomsdayClock
To be honest, the recycling of old characters into sequels for the sake of putting them in is a mistake. I enjoyed Temple of Doom because it was a complete departure from Raiders. New characters allow writers to make a good movie period, without having to shoehorn someone into the plot.

I actually think the re-hash of Sallah, Brody and Nazis in the third film was a disappointment.

Send Indy to China or Russia. That's the kind of movie I want to see. Not the same people and places reused for nostalgia's sake.

vintageSW77
ill miss Marcus Brody more

DC BrDr10
no it wont hurt it at all
even though we lost Connery and Davies...
we gained Ray Winstone, Cate Blanchett, and Shia Labeouf!!!
the only reason Connery would be in the new one is for comedy...
but Shia can easily fill those shoes, hes freaking hilarious

JediStang
I certainly hope that it doesn't affect the movie. I don't think Henry Jones will be missed, although he played an excellent father figure to Indiana (even though the actors were only a few years apart)

Sallah, however, I think will be missed more. He played a very comical role as well as a great sidekick.

With that said, I think Ray Winstone will make an excellent addition to the cast. Spielberg is not going to mess it up, unless he lets George Lucas directed a few days.

queeq
Brody. sad

Chewy07
It would have been nice to Sean in the role of Henry again, but I don't think it will affect the film too much. the cast list for this film is so good that I don't think we will give it a second thought once we see the finished project.

queeq
Oh yeah.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.