New Darth Bane book.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xxXAcStylesXxx
Taken from the Dark Horse forum:

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:11 am Post subject: New Darth Bane Book!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from TOS VIP forum (regarding the mysterious mention of a new Darth Bane hardcover on the Random House-site:

question: Suddenly and without warning, a listing popped up on the Random House catalog, for a Darth Bane sequel to be released in December of this year.

Is it really happening or a mistake on Random House's part? Was this some super-fast and super-stealthy effort to surprise the hell out of us?

Sue Rostoni: It surprised the hell out of me too.

Shelly called me late last week to propose an additional hardcover this fall. THIS fall. Yep. Del Rey figured the market could bear one more, and since the Darth Bane novel was a hit, a follow-up, written by Drew, seemed the best idea. So the untitled Feb. 09 hardcover (previously the "Plagueis" novel) has been moved up, and Drew agreed to continue Bane's story. So we're off and running.

The release date is slated for December 26th, 2007.

ThoraxeRMG
Cool

-Silver Falcon-
Sweeeet

xxXAcStylesXxx
Heres to hoping Yoda lays the smackdown on Bane.

exanda kane
More reading for the plebes!

-Silver Falcon-
Bane's cool

exanda kane
Really?

-Silver Falcon-
Yeah

General G
Seems weird to have it released the day after Christmas.

Gideon
PoD was a good book. I hope dumbass can continue the magic.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I can't wait to read it.

Darth Subjekt
How many years BBY was Bane around?

ESB -1138
Originally posted by xxXAcStylesXxx
Heres to hoping Yoda lays the smackdown on Bane.

I second that!!

Null ARC Avis
yes, unborn yoda will anally rape Bane. smart.

PoD was my second favorite book (Sacrifise FTW!!!), and i can't wait to read the sequal!!!!!

Gideon
Originally posted by Null ARC Avis
yes, unborn yoda will anally rape Bane. smart.

PoD was my second favorite book (Sacrifise FTW!!!), and i can't wait to read the sequal!!!!!

Are you shittin' me? You liked SACRIFICE?

Darth Sexy
Sacrifise? Wtf is a sequal?

Gideon
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
Sacrifise? Wtf is a sequal?

Sacrifice = shitty LotF book where Mara dies. mad

JesusTheChrist
50 bucks that Nebaris is going to buy this book to masturbate with as well make a new sock and use his new found feats against us!

overlord
Originally posted by JesusTheChrist
50 bucks that Nebaris is going to buy this book to masturbate with as well make a new sock and use his new found feats against us! Haha, damn right. I'm surprised his new clone hasn't arrived here yet to discuss how Bane created the universe.

Blue_Hefner
I've known about for quite a while, but I didn't it would be coming this soon. For those who don't believe me, I saw on wookiepedia, and the article said Drew wouldn't mind doing another one.

Null ARC Avis
Sacrifise kicked ASS!!!! how could you not like it?

exanda kane
I've never read it. But I'll make a lovely little assumption and point out that it is probably badly written. Pulp fiction for the modern age. Just not enjoyable.

Darth Scythe
Make sure none of you pricks comes out with spoilers this time before anyone else reads it.

kthxbye!

Count Makashi
Originally posted by -Silver Falcon-
Bane's cool

What, your joking right.

exanda kane
Even I have enough knowledge to admit that Bane is not cool. The blokes simply a one dimensional villain.

BlaxicanHydra
Originally posted by Darth Scythe
Make sure none of you pricks comes out with spoilers this time before anyone else reads it.

kthxbye!

laughing out loud

Still pissed about that, I see...

Null ARC Avis
Although we all know the ending!!!! Still, i found the book to be VERY well written, held my attention the whole way through.

ThoraxeRMG
Originally posted by Gideon
Sacrifice = shitty LotF book where Mara dies. mad

It was slightly shocking and unexpected, but interesting.

Reality Cell
Originally posted by exanda kane
Even I have enough knowledge to admit that Bane is not cool. The blokes simply a one dimensional villain.

That's completely untrue, he's likely the very one sith that has the most characterdepth of all.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Reality Cell
That's completely untrue, he's likely the very one sith that has the most characterdepth of all.

No, I assure you, it's completely true. He is a Sith, and I've yet to find one who's more than a mezra of cliche's. It's Star Wars. You can hardly expect Iago or Mr.Kurtz can you?

Gideon
Not all villains can be Darth Vader. Hardcore people who turn out to be total pansies. Palpatine is Iago in every step of the way. Hell, he's even motivated by the same thing: revenge.

Reality Cell
Honor by association, Logical Fallacy.

Now clearly you haven't read PoD, because if you had, you'd understand how Bane is pretty much the only sith lord who's fall to the darkside was actually realistic, and despite his dark and evil nature, was actually a sympathetic character. The reader could understand why he made all the choices that he did in the book, and would root for him to win, even while he was planning all the evil schemes he set about in the book. That's not what you'd call a one dimensional character.

Gideon
That's all about perspective, Reality. Exanda is entitled to his opinion . I enjoyed Bane's character, and PoD was an excellent book, despite the author's laughable attempts to both: a.) overpower Bane and b.) credit everything Bane did directly to Darth Revan.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Reality Cell
Honor by association, Logical Fallacy.

Now clearly you haven't read PoD, because if you had, you'd understand how Bane is pretty much the only sith lord who's fall to the darkside was actually realistic, and despite his dark and evil nature, was actually a sympathetic character. The reader could understand why he made all the choices that he did in the book, and would root for him to win, even while he was planning all the evil schemes he set about in the book. That's not what you'd call a one dimensional character.

Of course I have not read the book, I clearly stated that a few posts ago and I will admit to you now, I have no desire to read it.

I have yet to find any Star Wars character that doesn't serve either as an archetype or a secondary novelty, yes, including Vader Gideon. Any book can develop sympathy from the reader, it's not a Herculean task.

But read what you will read, if cliche super villains are your thing.

exanda kane
Not all villains can be Darth Vader. Hardcore people who turn out to be total pansies. Palpatine is Iago in every step of the way. Hell, he's even motivated by the same thing: revenge.

You mean Lucas Arts realised that there arch-villain had little to no motive other than an ancient blood fued? So they decided to hire a hack author to fill in some pulp mythos for them. Good for them wink

Gideon
LucasArts realized that their "arch-villain" needed to be the essence of evil, and therefore, would have no motivations other than revenge and acquiring further power.

Really, Exanda, I find your opinion strange. No one wants the bad guys to be emotionally torn, tragic figures like Vader.

BlaxicanHydra
I do, actually. I prefer villains when they are humane. Which is why I liked Potc, Barbossa was villainous, no doubt, but he also had an intelligent (Though slightly awkward) humane side.

exanda kane
Believe me, I don't always want the tragic dissident, but a mythos with too many archetypes can become cliche and transform into a story of stereotypes.

EDIT:

It's good that your enjoy the escapism of villains like these, it really is and we are all partial to it sometimes, but ultimatedly, I find human nature a much more fascinating subject than that of a fictional galaxy. It's all subjective though.

Gideon
Enlighten us on what you would have done, then.

Perhaps, after every execution order, Sidious could shed a tear? Perhaps second thoughts?

Sidious was supposed to be the cold, irredeemable character that uses others like pawns on a chessboard. Adding feeling to that or extra motivation out of revenge or a thirst for power would be detrimental to the purpose of the character.

...Consider Palpatine a lesson on human nature. What humanity can truly become.

exanda kane
Enlighten us on what you would have done, then.

Perhaps, after every execution order, Sidious could shed a tear? Perhaps second thoughts?

Sidious was supposed to be the cold, irredeemable character that uses others like pawns on a chessboard. Adding feeling to that or extra motivation out of revenge or a thirst for power would be detrimental to the purpose of the character.

What I would have done? I would have left Palpatine exactly as he was. I am not arguing against the representation of his character. He was an archetype, Lucas celebrating the ultimate source of evil, the devil et cetera et cetera. But once you've seen that villain once, you have seen them all.

"Without contraries, their can be no progress".

To laud his character up as a moral warning (of what exactly? the dangers dark swimwear?) is almost an injustice to Palpatine in the first place. But if Star Wars was a psychological document, you'd see certainly have to see where Palpatine came from, to understand what he became.

Gideon
Precisely. Star Wars is full of archetypes, and this has been stated endlessly since the movies were first created. It's famous for putting ancient archetypes into the perspective of the general public. So, why are you complaining about the villains?

One of the themes of the entire saga is what the dark side can do to a person. How it can take principled aristocrats like Dooku and turn them into world-conquering lunatics, how it can take a well meaning young boy who lived to help people and turn him into a murdering, agonizing shell of a man, and - worst of all - how it can turn people into someone like Palpatine.

exanda kane
Precisely. Star Wars is full of archetypes, and this has been stated endlessly since the movies were first created. It's famous for putting ancient archetypes into the perspective of the general public. So, why are you complaining about the villains?

These archetypes are slowly, through every Darth Bane that comes along, becoming stereotypes; characters who exist soley to exploit to their type, rather than embellish it. Palpatine is fine for what he is, but in my opinion, these characters offer nothing new and their very type has been exhausted. Time for some new ideas EU writers!

Anakin is a better example of the effects, however unfocused the execution seemed. However, these are not real people. Notice the emphasis placed upon the Force, upon the heirachy it creates and how it completely disregards the nature of the normal man. Star Wars is great for an escapist mythos, but it is not a psycholigical essay on human nature.

Gideon
Have you read PoD? Bane isn't an archetype like Palpatine. He shows far much more emotion and is portrayed in much more humane ways than Sidious ever has even hinted at. Hell, he even has a love interest. As far as characterization is concerned, Bane is excellent. If anything, he's more or less like Vader.

Rofl. PoD and Bane are some of the EU's most original creations. If you want unoriginality, go see LotF and the Legacy comics.

No one ever said Star Wars was a psychological essay on human nature. But human nature plays an important role in the grand scheme of things.

exanda kane
Have you read PoD? Bane isn't an archetype like Palpatine. He shows far much more emotion and is portrayed in much more humane ways than Sidious ever has even hinted at. Hell, he even has a love interest. As far as characterization is concerned, Bane is excellent. If anything, he's more or less like Vader.

With all due respect Gideon mate, your reading comprehension skills are slacking of late. No, I have not read PoD, no, I never will and I do not know Bane, but I do know Star Wars (The films. Well, the two decent ones). He seems nothing new from what you have described him as.

"Some of the EU's most original creations" does not spread far in the grand, or even mediocre scheme of things. Even saying "some of Star Wars' most original creations" stretches about as far as a particuarly mellow tortoise would on a hot day across Central Park.

One Shakespearean flaw does not constitute human nature.

Palpatine a lesson in human nature? There is nothing human about Palpatine and thankfully there isn't, or it would undermine his effectiveness. As I said, it's all subjective Gideon, but to consider the melodrama of wizards with pretenatural powers as anything more than a clear cut battle between good and evil is simply fabicrating truth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.