300 vs Persian Empire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

braz
300 Spartans from the movie, and no one else, no Thespians, Athenians, Phocians, Corinthians or any other Greek troops. The battle is at Thermopylae, the narrow pass once again, they have 1 month maximum to take out Xerxes' whole army from the movie(land troops only, no Navy of course), and their standard gear, slightly altered:

They have man-skirts over their man-panties. embarrasment
Half have a bronze breastplate discluding Leonidas making him shirtless
Corinthian-based helmets that look more like the ones they used in real life all with the horse hair Leonidas only had in the movie.
Bronze plates elsewhere
2-3 meter thrusting spear
short sword
shields
and capes

And the Persians cannot use and do not know about the pass that out-flanked them in the movie. This is a fair fight. Well, ya kno, sorta. wink

charlemagne9746
I'd like to see the 300 take on Alexander's army.

As far as this fight...the 300 have to go down sooner or later. Once Xerxes' has lost enough troops...i'm sure he'd be smart enough to not send anymore through that pass. He would have to come up with some alternate method to defeat the Spartans...maybe a battle of attrition. Surround the pass...and prevent the Spartans from accessing supplies.

braz
Originally posted by charlemagne9746
I'd like to see the 300 take on Alexander's army.

As far as this fight...the 300 have to go down sooner or later. Once Xerxes' has lost enough troops...i'm sure he'd be smart enough to not send anymore through that pass. He would have to come up with some alternate method to defeat the Spartans...maybe a battle of attrition. Surround the pass...and prevent the Spartans from accessing supplies.

Yeah, but I said they cant outflank them at that one pass. If they can find another on their own, which I highly doubt there is, then they can use it, but like I said its kinda doubtful.

charlemagne9746
I'm not sure of the physical geography surrounding that pass...there could be another pass. If the Persians are limited to fighting through that one gap...then the 300 would last as long as their stamina holds out. Still...as good as they are...300 troops have to fall before long.

braz
I'm not sure of the physical geography surrounding that pass...there could be another pass. If the Persians are limited to fighting through that one gap...then the 300 would last as long as their stamina holds out. Still...as good as they are...300 troops have to fall before long.

True, but they were shown in the movie to have tremendous stamina, and they get a month, but still I dont know how large exactly the Persian Army was in the movie. In real life it was actually measured at around 80,000 strong, but the Spartans only took out 20,000 of them.

charlemagne9746
Maybe a decent strategy for the Persians would be to send in all or most of the Immortals to tangle with the Spartans. Many of the Immortals are a match for the 300....then send in the regular foot soldiers and archers. Archers could pick off many Spartans once inside the pass...and footsoldiers could slash many Spartans from behind while they are tangling with the immortals.

braz
Maybe a decent strategy for the Persians would be to send in all or most of the Immortals to tangle with the Spartans. Many of the Immortals are a match for the 300....then send in the regular foot soldiers and archers. Archers could pick off many Spartans once inside the pass...and footsoldiers could slash many Spartans from behind while they are tangling with the immortals.

Hm, that could work considering they never tried that and just sent in all of their troops in seperate:

1. Persian troops
2. Archers
3. Immortals
4. 'Magic' makers with ubers and cavalry

But Idunno even if the Immortals could penetrate the phalanx and get inside the pass because they couldnt in real life and got slaughtered just like the other Persians in which there were 10,000 Immortal Elites.

charlemagne9746
The only other option I can think of now is to somehow draw the Persians out of the pass...but, in order to do that...they would have to have some kind of leverage to draw them out. Maybe a fake retreat and a Trojan Horse kind of strategy...lol.

The phalanx was perhaps the most effective battle formation in all the ancient world. It even proved superior to the Roman legion on several occasions during the second Punic War.

The Persians used mass numbers and brute force to spread their empire. They never were tactical geniuses on the battlefield. The Persian disaster at the hands of the Greeks began their downfall...as far as I can tell...eventually leading to Alexander the Great finally consolodating their empire into his own.

I highly doubt that just 300 Spartans could get the job done against such a vast army...especially if Xerxes wanted to fight to the last man. Yet, it proves just how great the Greeks are in warfare. Imagine thousands of Spartans fighting the Persians....the Persian empire would collapse even in that day if all of Greece was united. With Spartan training in the art of warfare and with the Athenian's naval abilities...they could've conquered the known world before Alexander's time.

braz
The only other option I can think of now is to somehow draw the Persians out of the pass...but, in order to do that...they would have to have some kind of leverage to draw them out. Maybe a fake retreat and a Trojan Horse kind of strategy...lol.

The phalanx was perhaps the most effective battle formation in all the ancient world. It even proved superior to the Roman legion on several occasions during the second Punic War.

The Persians used mass numbers and brute force to spread their empire. They never were tactical geniuses on the battlefield. The Persian disaster at the hands of the Greeks began their downfall...as far as I can tell...eventually leading to Alexander the Great finally consolodating their empire into his own.

I highly doubt that just 300 Spartans could get the job done against such a vast army...especially if Xerxes wanted to fight to the last man. Yet, it proves just how great the Greeks are in warfare. Imagine thousands of Spartans fighting the Persians....the Persian empire would collapse even in that day if all of Greece was united. With Spartan training in the art of warfare and with the Athenian's naval abilities...they could've conquered the known world before Alexander's time.

yes

Just like the end of 300 the movie, '10,000 Spartans strong.' Man that would whip TOTAL ass. Happy Dance

charlemagne9746
lol...agreed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.