Which of the original Trilogy is best?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
Hmm?

I like The Last Crusade, myself srug

exanda kane
Very close between the 1st and 3rd.

Ahnold
Bit controversial, this ... but I think I'm going with number 3. I absolutely *love* "Raiders" (and I think that "Doom" is a very entertaining film as well), but I think it's Connery's presence (and the whole 'father-son' storyline) in "Crusade" that swings the vote for me. That's why I'm so upset that Connery couldn't even be bothered to film a 10 minute cameo for the fourth film, ending his career in style ("The League", anyone?) mad ...

Kazenji
Raiders of the Lost Ark But i like them all respectivily

Anyone reason why Doom has'nt got a vote to dark for some ?

exanda kane
Both 1 and 3 are much better than Doom, not to say Doom isn't a good film, but it's alot weaker than the others.

ivebeendepped43
i prefer Temple of Doom actually.....

Strangelove
Temple of Doom certainly isn't bad, but Indy's only in top form when fighting Nazis 313

WrathfulDwarf
I first saw Temple of Doom as kid. Felt in love with it. Then eventually I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark. Much better film IMO. So for me ROTLA is the better film...but TOD is pure action and fun.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by exanda kane
Very close between the 1st and 3rd.

yeah.thats exactly the same way I feel as well.

ragesRemorse
Raiders of course...no contest

though connery served for some nice comic relief in Crusade, i like it better when was just indy. Raiders also has the best pacing for me, just enough humor, just enough action, and just enough male romodel. Crusade had a brilliant story arc for a sequal, but nothing beats seeing nazi's feel the wrath of god tongue

mysterio69
last crusade. the whole 'cup of christ' thing was cool.

amity75
Raiders. I kinda thought that "Crusade" was just a rehash of Raiders. I love all 3 right enough but Raiders just has all the cool, iconic moments. The ball, the snake in the plane, the swordsman "fight", the melting faces. Absolutely fantastic.

Jaeh_JediPirate
Last Crusade.

second is Raiders.

Temple of Doom's okay.

Admiral Akbar
Last Crusade was more enjoyable, but Raiders is the better movie.

Röland
I liked Crusade more than Temple but Raiders gets my vote.

You can't beat the scene where the Sword wielding Arab challenges Indy to fight and Indy just shoots him. laughing

Strangelove

Röland
Originally posted by Strangelove
Fun fact: They were planning a huge swordfight between the Arab and Indy, but Harrison Ford got dysentery so he suggested that he just shoot him 313

http://snopes.com/movies/films/raiders.htm

I knew that actually, just waiting for someone to post it. 131

LostDoctor
I still think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade for a seuqal is still very good.

darthsith19
I am with the minority here, I like Temple of Doom the best (then Raiders, followed closely by TLC). Films number 1 and 3 are just to smiliar, Indy going through the desrt with either an annoying chick or his annoying dad (who gives the movie a nice twist, but he can still be annoying). Movie 2 is in a dark, scary temple, it is far darker than the other 2 films, and Shortie is one of my favorite characters (I hate little kids, and in films they are usually very annoying but he was awesome! cool ). And there's less Indy talking with other boring people about artifacts and more or him just seeing bad stuff happening and fighting, plus the cart scene is awesome and it's the only one where we don't see him teaching his class, right (which is a boring part).

Shadow_King
my favourite indiana jones movie would have to be "indiana jones and the last crusade"

Rebel Racer
Last Crusade, then Raiders, then Temple.

Silent Dreams
Originally posted by Strangelove
Hmm?

I like The Last Crusade, myself srug

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Ahnold
Hmmm ... it's interesting how "Crusade" - and not "Raiders" - is emerging as the favourite amongst us ...

apoc001
Tough choice. All these movies are awesome in their own way. Raiders introduced us to Indy and establsihed him as a very lovable character and introduced him to the supernatural, Temple of Doom put him through Hell, and Last Crusade introduced a part of his character we never knew he had. I somewhat favour the first and third ones, because they both change Indy's character, while Temple of Doom is just another adventure. All in all, I'd have to choose Last Crusade, just because of how scared everyone was when Indiana said, "No ticket."

Ahnold
Originally posted by apoc001
All in all, I'd have to choose Last Crusade, just because of how scared everyone was when Indiana said, "No ticket."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eeBPlHHgYA big grin Great moment ...

roughrider
It's the first one. The second one got too sadistic & violent (it helped lead to the PG-13 rating, that very year), while the third one was too cute & calculated.

DarthLazious
The Raiders of the Lost Ark

~LunaLoveG~
Best by far is Last Crusade. least favorite has always been Temple of doom. I love them all though.

willofthewisp
The Last Crusade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Temple of Doom

darthmaul1
It would have to be the first one Raiders, then Crusade then Doom
And I mean that with their release dates, cause if you go cronologically with the year the movie took place doom is first. not too many people know that.

roughrider
Originally posted by darthmaul1
It would have to be the first one Raiders, then Crusade then Doom
And I mean that with their release dates, cause if you go cronologically with the year the movie took place doom is first. not too many people know that.

By release dates, it's Raiders(1981), Doom(1984), then Crusade(1989).

And anyone who watched the films and looked at the titles would know Doom takes place in 1935, Raiders in 1936.

DoomsdayClock
Man, its gotta be Raiders. That movie is perfect.

Count Makashi
The Last Crusade is the best of the 3, but all 3 of them were great movies.

chewy16
Raiders is the best, simply because it is original, it is fresh, and the chemistry of characters & humor works to perfection.

The sequels are just sequels, or retreads of the bigger is better mentality (more action, bigger sets, more snakes, etc.) I love Raiders, and could care less about Temple & Crusade, they are entertaining, but they just don't have 'it' 20 years later, the same way Raiders does. That is just the nature sequels, most of them are just retreads.

roughrider
I'm glad to see Raiders has finally tied Last Crusade in the poll. Crusade is the weakest of the three, I believe.

=Tired Hiker=
TOP was like my favorite movie as a kid, but now I like ROTLA better.

unknowable
I and II are classics that can't be compared. III on the otherhand ...

sithsaber408
Raiders and Crusade are tied for first with me as to the "best" movie.

But I gave it to Crusade because I like it better. stick out tongue

Mr Parker
glad to see most people agree that Temple of Doom was the least best movie of the 3.

MrCampion
I never liked Temple of Doom all that much despite attempting to watch it several times.Raiders and Last Crusade are brilliant however.

amity75
Personally I thought "Crusade" was a bit of a re-hash of Raiders. I think Crusade is my least favourite. Can I be in a minority here and say that I LOVED "Temple of Doom"? Raiders kicked it all off for me but Doom was, well, Indy being Indy and doing what he does best. No back story, no introductions, no character development, just stunts, ingenuity and Harrison Ford kicking ass. Or as we say here in Scotland "Indiana Jones punchin' f*ck ootae bad guys and lookin' really cool in the process".

queeq
Raiders is by far the best.

Tempe Brennan
I like 'Temple Of Doom' best, although the part when the lady goes into that fire pit gave me nightmares for weeks after...

anaconda
The only good Indy movie is Raiders the other two sucks

queeq
They don't suck... they're just not that great.

anaconda
nah they suck

queeq
Nah.

anaconda
yay

queeq
No yay... they are better than most action flicks. Way better.

anaconda
no, I think they suck especially Temple of Doom

queeq
ToD ain't the greatest. But still way better than average.

Mr Parker
yeah Temple of doom aint that good compared to the other two so i can understand why he would say that one sucked. I kinda feel the same way about it.

queeq
But in comparison to non-Indy films, it's still pretty good.

Stun
I'd have to say Raiders, but if you had to pick the film that had the hottest female lead? The Last Crusade - by far!

queeq
Alison Doody... yumyum

Stun
and if i had to pick a favourite scene from the trilogy it would have to be the map room from Raiders' - in 2 words, it delivers!

queeq
Damn right.

I like the truck scene from Raiders as well, superior.

Stun
yeah that was a great bit of stuntwork, hats off to the stuntman who went under the truck thumb up i love the part where Indy and the other guy just smile at each other after smashing through all that scaffolding - then out he goes! how he didnt break his neck in that scene i'll never know

sithsaber408
We need some more votes!

Right now it's tied between Raiders and Crusade. stick out tongue

queeq
I never vote in these polls, but since you asked so nicely. wink

DarthLazious
I can't wait for the new flim.

queeq
Not really on topic, but okay. So do I.

Tzaoying
Raiders is my favorite. I was disappointed by the sequels. I suppose it's personal taste which one is more exciting and which one has the most thrills, but Raiders of the Lost Ark is by far the best one when it comes to overall quality. It was an example of excellent film making, not just a fun action flick, which the sequels were. If you watch Raiders again, notice the dialogue and the depth of the characters, the atmosphere, the attention to details. It was taken much more seriously by the filmmakers. The characters seemed like real, intelligent, genuine people instead of just two dimensional characters. Even the villains were more intelligent and distinguished. The humor was more natural as well. That's why this one was nominated for best movie at the Oscars. It was an example of a classic Hollywood film.

queeq
Belloq was indeed a great bad guy.

BetrayedUnicorn
I would have to say raiders of the lost ark, in this case the first is the best.

queeq
Yup

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Tzaoying
Raiders is my favorite. I was disappointed by the sequels. I suppose it's personal taste which one is more exciting and which one has the most thrills, but Raiders of the Lost Ark is by far the best one when it comes to overall quality. It was an example of excellent film making, not just a fun action flick, which the sequels were. If you watch Raiders again, notice the dialogue and the depth of the characters, the atmosphere, the attention to details. It was taken much more seriously by the filmmakers. The characters seemed like real, intelligent, genuine people instead of just two dimensional characters. Even the villains were more intelligent and distinguished. The humor was more natural as well. That's why this one was nominated for best movie at the Oscars. It was an example of a classic Hollywood film.

great post.well said. thumb up

Spartan005
I think I like raiders the best actually... which is weird because the third used to be my favorite. I watched all of them again recently and think that raiders had the best story and the best overall tone... it was a pretty damn serious movie with some comic relief here and there. The second one had the best action scenes IMO but was way too dark (the whole sacrifice scene was too much) and the third one was good mainly because it brought all of the characters back but was way too comedic. It seemed like I was almost watching a kids movie at times.

Stun
Here's a great video where the cast of Indy IV share their appreciation for the Original Trilogy cool

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=227&task=videodirectlink&id=990

Jovan
pfffft... the first one I think... the third was great with Connery, but it focused too much on them instead of the quest I think

the second one is by far the worst

queeq
Least best, I would say. stick out tongue

Admiral Akbar
I actually enjoyed TLS because of that father son element. The chemistry between both Connery and Ford made the film a lot more interesting to watch.

queeq
It did. It didn't leave much room for the female element though. But then Else is very hot, she's no Marion.

willofthewisp
Originally posted by Spartan005
I think I like raiders the best actually... which is weird because the third used to be my favorite. I watched all of them again recently and think that raiders had the best story and the best overall tone... it was a pretty damn serious movie with some comic relief here and there. The second one had the best action scenes IMO but was way too dark (the whole sacrifice scene was too much) and the third one was good mainly because it brought all of the characters back but was way too comedic. It seemed like I was almost watching a kids movie at times.

I felt exactly the same way. I used to think The Last Crusade was the best one, and I still think it's very very good. I disagree it's like a kids' movie. It's about an adult relationship with one's parent, the Holy Grail is the perfect archeological find for Indy, and I think it shows us the seriousness of the Nazi regime better than ROTLA. Plus it has Sean Connery.

That said, Raiders is still the best one. I agree it has the best story and tone. Sallah is less a comic figure and is a much better sidekick than in TLC. Marion could kick Elsa's ass, and Belloq and that little guy could run rings around Donovan.

I just don't get The Temple of Doom's appeal. Willie is far too annoying and doesn't contribute in the slightest. The other two movies didn't ridicule foreign cultures or make them out to be barbaric. The dinner party scene is just a little too politically incorrect and is more low-brow humor than expected of an Indy film. And I just don't care for Indy going evil all of a sudden. He's flawed and usually bites off more than he can chew, which is part of his charm, but that decision just seemed so out of place to me.

queeq
Good attempt in my view. It beats gophers and monkeys.

willofthewisp
I'll try not to knock it as much. Mind telling me why you like it? Just curious.

queeq
Indy II, you mean? Well, it kinda works I think. Willie's rather awful, I didn't like Short Round very much. But a lot of scenes are very good. The opening scene, the plane crash, the bridge scene (Indy's "Oh shit", is a classic). I like the characters of Mola Ram and the Prime minister. Even the stones... what the heck are they, but who cares... they are the perfect McGuffin, unlike the Crystal Skull.

Sadako of Girth
It also was darrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk.

Just like "Empire".

Middle act.....darkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. yes

willofthewisp
Originally posted by queeq
Indy II, you mean? Well, it kinda works I think. Willie's rather awful, I didn't like Short Round very much. But a lot of scenes are very good. The opening scene, the plane crash, the bridge scene (Indy's "Oh shit", is a classic). I like the characters of Mola Ram and the Prime minister. Even the stones... what the heck are they, but who cares... they are the perfect McGuffin, unlike the Crystal Skull.

Lol, at least we agree that Willie and Short Round suck. The bridge scene is rather good and who can resist Indy swearing? But it just doesn't have that Indy-feel to me. I like Act 2=darker, but this imo just bypassed dark and went alien.

Why do you think the skull is not a good McGuffin? It fits the definition and in all of Indy's movies, you could argue all the artifacts he goes after are McGuffins, couldn't you?

Jovan
of course all the artifacts are McGuffins... otherwise for instance Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark would be about chasing a rhino in the serengetti.
Almost per definition people go after the McGuffin: Maltese Falcon, right?

The reason why the crystal skull wasn't good as McGuffin: they found it way too early: in all the previous movies they had to go find it and then keep it away from the Nazi's. Here, that didn't happen at all.
Because of this, the entire alien-thing was WAY into your face. During Indy movies, you have to accept that there is a supernatural part: the Ark which destroys everyone, the Holy Grail and eternal life ... but because the skull was in it already, you were constantly reminded about the aliens.

If they had made it like the old movies: let them go search the skull for 75% of the movie or more, and THAN reveal what it is things would have worked out better... besides the numerous scenes which were lousy.

queeq
JOvan said it right: they found it too earlyu, we found out way to early what the deal was and in the end, you shouldn't reallye xplain too much wehat it really is... The trick about a McGuffin is to lose it somewhere during the ride.

The Ark, a whole lot of stuff going on, but we only find out if it's real or not in the end... and then we get sand... and it gets locked up as a mystery. We still don't really know what it is or what makes it tick. It comes down to saying summin' like real great power doesn't succumb to greed.
Same with the Sankara stones: Indy seems to get it but only on an existential level: doing good makes life better.
The Grail: fair enough: poor cup, gives eternal life but with enormous limitations. In the end it's not about the Grail but about the leap from the lion's head: faith.

The Crystal Skull: we get the lot explained to us. And from very early on. There's not much left to discover for the rest of the movie, and then at the end... we get the rest. THey forget to ditch the McGuffin. Hitchcock would turn in his grave.

Darth Piggott
I really liked Raiders Of The Lost Arc, The Temple of Doom would come in at a close second though

queeq
You really like digging up old fossils, don't ya? Saw you doing that in the SW forums as well.

Sadako of Girth
Well Archaeology is all well and good round these parts, being Jones related.

queeq
True... however... in some cases.

Sadako of Girth
Maybe future archaeologists will wonder WTF happened to the human race's collective creative psyche in the early 2000s when they hear this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8OpsPok6iQ

queeq
Uggh.... is that for real??????

Sadako of Girth
Yes. It genuinely was the theme to "ST:Enterprise".
Not even having Scott Bakula as Captain Archer could save it after that.

sad sad sad

I mean...WTF. Its so Un-Star Trek feeling...

queeq
OMG...

Sadako of Girth
Yep. Horrific, wasn't it...?

Coincidnetally there was no more Star Trek after that until the Abrahams movie later down the line.

queeq
Yes I know that.

I bailed out after series one of TNG myself. Never saw much of Deep Space Nine or Enterprise.

Sadako of Girth
The 1st season was the worst of all seven seasons. Holy shit, try watching on from season 2, and you'll get the full benefits of the series.

They're all on YT.

queeq
I saw some of the other series as well... I saw Whoopi Goldberg arrive and stuff. Trek is just not my thing. I did like the Borgs though... good enemies.

When prices drop I'll prolly get the original series on blu ray though.

Sadako of Girth
Oh Fair enough then.

That'd be a great move. smile

queeq
Yes... but I'm not a big enough fan to pay top dollar.

Sadako of Girth
Make it so.

queeq
Nope.

Sadako of Girth
Engage?

queeq
Pardon?

Sadako of Girth
Warp 9?

Kazenji
No too slow.

Sadako of Girth
Warp 9.8?

Kazenji
That still is way too slow!

Sadako of Girth
How about the "everywhere in the universe at the same time" assed warp 10 from Voyager...?

queeq
How about .5 past lightspeed?

Kazenji
That should do and along the way get some takeaway.

Sadako of Girth
Yeaaaah Queeq...! And get me some doughnuts whilst you're there, please? shifty

queeq
Will do. Doughnots at Dunkin Bespin's Diner, owner Rexter Dexter (brother of..)

Sadako of Girth
Joseph Mengele..?

Kazenji
Dexter Morgan?

queeq
All of the above.

Sadako of Girth
Cool.

queeq
I am.

Sadako of Girth
As is anyone who can watch '127 hours' and not flinch once.

queeq
HAven't seen it yet. Worthwhile?

Sadako of Girth
Very worth while.

Extremely tense scenes. Especially if the viewer has a strong sense of empathy..
Im not surprised to hear of people fainting and walking out puking.

Knowing it to be a true experience just emboldens the power of the horror in the situation further.
Sharp directing style from Danny Boyle, who seems to be able to accent the mindwarping aspect of the experience quite well.

Remember 'The Beach' where everythnig was visually stunning and the good times were rolling, then Wham! Shark atack and the mood is dark/nasty yet still retains its surreal aspects too?
More of that hard hitting dynamic switching which places you in the struggle by slightly warping reality here.

queeq
Okay...

I personally hate The Beach, though I love most of Boyle's other films. This sure sounded like a challenge and I'd love to see it.

I did see True Grit though...

Sadako of Girth
And your verdict?

Kazenji
I also seen that too, never seen the John Wayne one.

Sadako of Girth
Oh you should hunt that out, if you liked the Coens one....It explains bits and pieces that are referenced and alluded to, but never fully addressed.
I actually preferred "The charge" in the Wayne version.

queeq
I loved True Grit... damn near perfect. These guys are so good...

Sadako of Girth
Indeed. I thought it an epic addition to the Coen's catalogue, and great film in it's own right.

queeq
I agree on both counts...

Sadako of Girth
I wonder if they'll do "Rooster Cogburn" next?

Kazenji
Was that a sequel

because he's dead now the character at the end of it.

queeq
The sequel was made to reap a little of Wayne's success. The character is dead at the end of the book. True gRit ends where it ends in the Coens' movie.

Sadako of Girth
John Connor is dead in Terminator at some point too, a T-800 murders him, according to his murderer in T3.

But still we still see stories of John Connor....

Lets not forget that that was from the Girls' POV, not Rooster's.

queeq
Coens don't do sequels.

Sadako of Girth
"For everything there is a first time." - Spock, Star Trek II: The wrath of Khan

queeq
Coens don't do Star Trek either.

Sadako of Girth
I bet they could. I bet a Coen's holodeck episode would be killer.

queeq
Kirk would be such a loser... as would Spock, Bones and Uhura.

Coens doing Star Trek: losers in space.

Sadako of Girth
That was pretty much the concept/premise for Alien.

queeq
Nah, that was truckers in space. Oh no, you're right. wink

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue

DopamineDarling
The best is The Raiders of the Lost Ark. The closest to my heart is Temple of Doom.

Sadako of Girth
I agree... Raiders absolutely FTW

Kazenji
Second place would be Last Crusade

hell even the poll proves that.

Sadako of Girth
Ahhhh but they said it was merely closest to their heart......not a judgement on which was the best (or second best) neccessarily...

Kazenji
Derp

Sadako of Girth
Derp-derp.

queeq
Derp?

Sadako of Girth
yes Derp.

queeq
Oh... derp.

Sadako of Girth
Uhuh....derp. yes