What's your opinion on the registration act?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlaxicanHydra
The Civil War thing is over, so whats your opinion on the registration act? If you were a Superhero and had to choose, what side would you join, and why?

Soljer
What a truly original, innovative thread. I can't believe no one EVER thought of ANYTHING like this.

Ever.

Swanky-Tuna
I would be so unaware that someone would have to stop me and explain what's been going on.

willRules
I would jump between sides until someone had to let me do what I want big grin

Martian_mind
How powerful a hero am i?

Daredevil-level=Just take care of my streets and keep to myself,they won't bother me.

Spiderman= Bring in all the Daredevil level heroes as a bargain for them to leave me alone.

Iron man=Join up,but conspire to bring them down.

Thor=Tell them to f#ck of.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
The Civil War thing is over, so whats your opinion on the registration act? If you were a Superhero and had to choose, what side would you join, and why?

As my Civil War sig said once upon a time, http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/apocsig.jpg

Nuff said. cool

On a serious note, the registration act is BS. Putting everyone's secret identities in one place is never smart, but the government? no

I swear to god, it's all the ****ing Skrulls's fault. thumb down Sad part is, it probably IS their fault. sad

NoFate007
Since I don't really trust the government, and I don't support the draft or anything like that, I would be opposed to the registration act, however, I see how the idea makes a lot of sense. If I were a hero in the Marvel universe, I'd be gung-ho about the idea if it was just sanctioned by the Avengers and not the government.

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by Martian_mind
How powerful a hero am i?

Daredevil-level=Just take care of my streets and keep to myself,they won't bother me.

Spiderman= Bring in all the Daredevil level heroes as a bargain for them to leave me alone.

Iron man=Join up,but conspire to bring them down.

Thor=Tell them to f#ck of. you have a smart man right here....i like this approach...

Alfheim
I personally would just **** off to Canada. As for what I think....I think in principle they are doing the right thing, but I dont trust them.

Symmetric Chaos
As M_m pointed out the power level actually is pretty important.

At street I'd be with Cap. The act doesn't really apply.
At IM level or around I'd join them.
At Thor level I'd probably join too. Then again since I doubt there's much they could do to control me I'd still end up doing what I want to.

Morridini
The idea of keeping "wild cards" in check is good, but there is no good way to get a system to work. Forcing them to register and hunting them down wasn't the smartest thing to do (even tho I rooted for Tony and Co during CW).

Alfheim
Originally posted by Morridini
The idea of keeping "wild cards" in check is good, but there is no good way to get a system to work. Forcing them to register and hunting them down wasn't the smartest thing to do (even tho I rooted for Tony and Co during CW).

Lets beat him up! angrymob

Hercules
Originally posted by Alfheim
I personally would just **** off to Canada. As for what I think....I think in principle they are doing the right thing, but I dont trust them.

Haven't Canada had an act for ages?

I agree if you were on Thor's power level, you could tell them to go to hell.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Hercules
Haven't Canada had an act for ages?

Um exactly? I thought Canada didnt have a superhuman registration act, thats whay some superhumans left for Canada. Which is what you are saying, they havent had an act.....right?

srankmissingnin
Um exactly? I thought Canada didnt have a superhuman registration act, thats whay some superhumans left for Canada. Which is what you are saying, they havent had an act.....right?

Canada has had its Super-Powers Registration act since Alpha Flight 120 (or around there), but it was forgotten for the sake of the Civil War story. sad

Morridini
Lets beat him up! angrymob

Oh yeah?

Tony can oneshot the Hulk!!!!!

*runs away*

Alfheim
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Canada has had its Super-Powers Registration act since Alpha Flight 120 (or around there), but it was forgotten for the sake of the Civil War story. sad

Right. doh Oh yeah actually I remember it, thats ages ago.

Alfheim
In fact I think the previous act was really only for mutants. It seems this act is for anybody superhuman.

Hercules
The Mutant Registration act was in the US, Canada had a Superhuman Registration Act in Alpha flight.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Hercules
The Mutant Registration act was in the US, Canada had a Superhuman Registration Act in Alpha flight.

Ok. I cant quite remember the details but I think the Canadians were relatively lax. I think they had the act but they were not enforcing it like it was done in the Civil War.

roughrider
Canada does have the act, but since they/we just want to take care of security in their/our own country, and have no agenda about policing the rest of the world, they/we are more trustworthy. big grin

By the way, how is that 'One Superhero In Every State' initiative going?

And I can't wait to see how they try to make Thor register - "Verily, get thee hela outta here!", as SHIELD agents back off from a swinging hammer... stick out tongue

Morridini
Would they even try to register Thor? He isn't exactly a US citizen nor could they stop him from going where he wanted.

Alfheim
Originally posted by roughrider
Canada does have the act, but since they/we just want to take care of security in their/our own country, and have no agenda about policing the rest of the world, they/we are more trustworthy. big grin

Yeah thats the impression im getting. Canadians had the act but werent dictators about it. Its like im saying, the principle of a superhuman registration act in itself is good, but I just dont trust the Americans.

DigiMark007
The whole idea is that the government has the power to register them.

Which they don't.

If Sentry or Thor decided to go rogue, they'd really be quite screwed...all the registration in the world wouldn't mean jack.

I can see the need for mandatory training and a few rules about respect for life and such. But working for SHIELD and going public with your identity is too far, not to mention the illegal imprisonment and such.

DigiMark007
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/4154/civilwar6gd3.jpg

roughrider
Would they even try to register Thor? He isn't exactly a US citizen nor could they stop him from going where he wanted.

Technically, Thor is a Norweigan citizen by birth. How does your country stand on registration?

Scoobless
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I can see the need for mandatory training and a few rules about respect for life and such. But working for SHIELD and going public with your identity is too far, not to mention the illegal imprisonment and such.

No one has been asked to "go public", only to let themselves be known to SHIELD.

I agree with registration except for the part that says you have to work for the government ... everything else seems like a good idea.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Scoobless
No one has been asked to "go public", only to let themselves be known to SHIELD.

I agree with registration except for the part that says you have to work for the government ... everything else seems like a good idea.

Yeah erm

In fact I kind of get the impression that some parts of the act were added by the writers soley to give a reason for heroes to have an opposite stance.

DigiMark007
The working for the government thing is enough for me to be against it, especially given the crapstorm that the New Avengers are uncovering currently.

llagrok
Technically, Thor is a Norweigan citizen by birth. How does your country stand on registration?

Norway ftw 131

If I had superpowers I'd try and get to join the X-academy and steer clear of the whole thing.

If not, then I'd work with the government.

Scoobless
Originally posted by llagrok
Norway ftw 131

If I had superpowers I'd try and get to join the X-academy and steer clear of the whole thing.

If not, then I'd work with the government.

I'd go to Stamford and blow up the shops and post offices.

evil face

srankmissingnin
I don't think they are forced to work for the government. Isn't that just an option they have after their training is complete so they can bring in a pay check fighting crime?

llagrok
No wait, I wouldn't take orders from Iron Man. I'd stick it to Tony, definitely.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I don't think they are forced to work for the government. Isn't that just an option they have after their training is complete so they can bring in a pay check fighting crime?

They answer directly to SHIELD. Even if they aren't running Ops for SHIELD all the time, it's part of the registration.

Morridini

Last time I checked we didn't have any Superhuman Registration act, however we do have mandatory drafting for 40% of all men 18+ , so he might be enrolled into the army.

llagrok
Last time I checked we didn't have any Superhuman Registration act, however we do have mandatory drafting for 40% of all men 18+ , so he might be enrolled into the army.

I might get drafted. Hope not.

Are you guys sure 616 Thor is Norwegian? I know the Ultimate one is.

roughrider
Originally posted by llagrok
I might get drafted. Hope not.

Are you guys sure 616 Thor is Norwegian? I know the Ultimate one is.

Yes. He was conceived by Odin & Gaea in a cave in Norway; the same cave Thor(as Donald Blake) would be drawn to unknowingly, where he finds the wooden cane that becomes mjolnir.

Oh; since Thor is a couple of thousand years old, I think he's past the age for drafting.

Alfheim
Yes. He was conceived by Odin & Gaea in a cave in Norway; the same cave Thor(as Donald Blake) would be drawn to unknowingly, where he finds the wooden cane that becomes mjolnir.

In Norse lore its Odin and Jord (Earth). Not that it matters, just my 2 cents.

roughrider
In Norse lore its Odin and Jord (Earth). Not that it matters, just my 2 cents.

Gaea goes by many names - Jord is one. Gaea is the one the Greeks gave her.
Other names for her - Mother Earth, Mother Nature, Nertha, Aditi, Coatique, Rangi, the Great Mother, Akka, Ala, Ammaveru, Citlacicue, Coatilique, Danu, Eithinoha, Erce, Hou-Tou, Nana, Ninhursag, Nokomis, Pachamama, Prakriti, Vaat, Yo, and more.

Alfheim
Gaea goes by many names - Jord is one. Gaea is the one the Greeks gave her.
Other names for her - Mother Earth, Mother Nature, Nertha, Aditi, Coatique, Rangi, the Great Mother, Akka, Ala, Ammaveru, Citlacicue, Coatilique, Danu, Eithinoha, Erce, Hou-Tou, Nana, Ninhursag, Nokomis, Pachamama, Prakriti, Vaat, Yo, and more.

Yeah ok but shes not the same as the Norse Jord is she? Dont mind me just b*tching doesnt really matter.....just wish they would make Thor more like the one from mythology......
*sulks*

TricksterPriest

They tried to register Dr. Strange at first. He basically disappeared into seclusion in the arctic and told them to stop bothering him. They gave him an exemption. stick out tongue

And the problem with Thor isn't going to be registering him. 'Thou art no Thor!' ring a bell? Oh yes, verily the anger of the thunder god shall strike down upon SHIELD for that one. Hell, Thor would probably help anyway if he heard about all the shit that was going on. But the fact that SHIELD and Tony are ****ing up his good name and rep is pretty much guaranteed that he's joining Herc and the underground........ Hey........what if he joins Hulk? evil face Can you say 'Oh shit, son.............'

Originally posted by DigiMark007
The working for the government thing is enough for me to be against it, especially given the crapstorm that the New Avengers are uncovering currently.

Remember when you said that you were going to start claiming everyone who acted out of character was a skrull as an arguement tactic? laughing Can we start doing that? stick out tongue 2nd, is it just me, or this skrull thing a huge ****ing cop-out? I'd love for some genius super villain, like Apoc, or Red Skull, or even the skrulls (as it will probably turn out) to say they stole the secret identity information that SHIELD conveniently had in one location. Or in the case of the Skrulls, that they set up Civil War just to get data on earth's heros. big grin

Love the CW sig. thumb up

Alfheim
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Hell, Thor would probably help anyway if he heard about all the shit that was going on. But the fact that SHIELD and Tony are ****ing up his good name and rep is pretty much guaranteed that he's joining Herc and the underground........ Hey........what if he joins Hulk? evil face Can you say 'Oh shit, son.............'

hysterical

Originally posted by TricksterPriest

Remember when you said that you were going to start claiming everyone who acted out of character was a skrull as an arguement tactic? laughing Can we start doing that? stick out tongue 2nd, is it just me, or this skrull thing a huge ****ing cop-out? I'd love for some genius super villain, like Apoc, or Red Skull, or even the skrulls (as it will probably turn out) to say they stole the secret identity information that SHIELD conveniently had in one location. Or in the case of the Skrulls, that they set up Civil War just to get data on earth's heros. big grin

Love the CW sig. thumb up

Maybe Cap is a skrull.....probably not.

llagrok
Hmm, if the registration talk came up I'd try and ditch Earth.

Go Skrull big grin

Entity
What about Human hero's?
I haven't seen anything mentioned about them and the fact that technically they aren't super powered?

Hawkeye
Moonknight
Punisher
Shang Chi
Elektra
Silver Sable
Baron Zemo
Mysterio

How would registration work with them?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Entity
What about Human hero's?
I haven't seen anything mentioned about them and the fact that technically they aren't super powered?

Hawkeye
Moonknight
Punisher
Shang Chi
Elektra
Silver Sable
Baron Zemo
Mysterio

How would registration work with them?

Well in NA Tony said IronFist had to be registered as a lethal weapon and as a superhero. However his lawyer claimed that the definition of a superpower was still up in the air.

Admitedly IronFist's technique is a bit above theirs but it does imply that anyone with incredible abilites and a secret identity is required to register.

Entity
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Well in NA Tony said IronFist had to be registered as a lethal weapon and as a superhero. However his lawyer claimed that the definition of a superpower was still up in the air.

Admitedly IronFist's technique is a bit above theirs but it does imply that anyone with incredible abilites and a secret identity is required to register. To me that says that if its that questionable for him it should be much more so questionable to them.

I real can't see the government finding a rational way to justify their registration.

Not that the government really realise on logical or rationality. confused

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Entity
To me that says that if its that questionable for him it should be much more so questionable to them.

I real can't see the government finding a rational way to justify their registration.

Not that the government really realise on logical or rationality. confused They probably wouldn't be forced to register... just arrested as vigilantes acting independently of the law and SHIELD.

Creshosk
I wouldn't want my information in anydatabase linked to who I was regardless of power level. ESPECIALLY if I was more powerful.

Can you imagine someone getting ahold of that data, finding a loved one of someone powerful and then using them as leverage to control said hero?

I've always opposed registration acts just for being alive. And with the power I'd have at my disposal they'd be wise to leave me the hell alone and let me do my job.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.