Is Life Just Chemistry?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JesusIsAlive
Is life just chemistry? So then life should be capable of being created in a laboratory right? I mean if life truly is just a bunch of chemicals then scientists should have no trouble producing life right? So then why haven't these erudite, scholarly, learned savants created life? What is the problem? Isn't the potter more intelligent than the clay? Aren't we the potter of life? Perhaps we are truly the clay just as the Bible states (illustratively of course not literally).

Just thought I'd give you one to grow on.

Shakyamunison
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/454575_1-If-humans-made-artificial-life-would-that-change-how-you-believe-in-your-religion

I guess you never looked at this thread.

AngryManatee
teh roflwafflez @ uninformedz

King Kandy
...Yes, because Scientists have done every single thing that is theoretically possible. Uh huh.

Well you know it's theoretically possible to send a manned flight to Mars, but it hasn't been done yet... I guess that must be because God has forbidden it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by King Kandy
...Yes, because Scientists have done every single thing that is theoretically possible. Uh huh.

Well you know it's theoretically possible to send a manned flight to Mars, but it hasn't been done yet... I guess that must be because God has forbidden it.

Soon we will have made artificial life. Then what will people like JIA do?

King Kandy
Yeah, I'd love to see the look on JIA's face when artificial life actualy IS created.

AngryManatee
Apparently they've been working on a man-made life form for almost eight years now.

Czech this

People like JIA will just come up with more excuses.

Bardock42
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
Is life just chemistry? So then life should be capable of being created in a laboratory right? I mean if life truly is just a bunch of chemicals then scientists should have no trouble producing life right? So then why haven't these erudite, scholarly, learned savants created life? What is the problem? Isn't the potter more intelligent than the clay? Aren't we the potter of life? Perhaps we are truly the clay just as the Bible states (illustratively of course not literally).

Well, how do you figure that they should have "no trouble"?

The Universe we see around us needed billions of years, and as far as we know of it worked only in a really, really tiny fraction of that universe. Not to forget all the billion Universes where it didn't work out.

Now it might be creatable, but "no trouble". I don't think so.

Mindship
Is KMC just a Turing machine?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship

What is a turing machine? confused

Evil Dead

to answer your question, no. life is not just chemistry.......that makes the rest of your post moot as it's based on a flawed understanding of the anatomy and/or physiology of the human body. Life is the result of interactions between chemicals, tissue and energy.

chillmeistergen
If life's just chemistry, why can't God just be chemistry, JIA?

Mindship
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
What is a turing machine? confused
I could send you a list of googled definitions, but the gist of my response was this: how do you know KMC isn't a computer program, all the members nothing more than software? Essentially, this whole forum could be a Turing test: a set of responses which do not adequately differentiate (for a genuine human participant) between what another human might say and what a computer program might say.

Shakyamunison
I could send you a list of googled definitions, but the gist of my response was this: how do you know KMC isn't a computer program, all the members nothing more than software? Essentially, this whole forum could be a Turing test: a set of responses which do not adequately differentiate (for a genuine human participant) between what another human might say and what a computer program might say.

You thought I was asking you that question, but I was really being a smart ass. wink laughing out loud

Devil King
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive Is life just chemistry? So then life should be capable of being created in a laboratory right? I mean if life truly is just a bunch of chemicals then scientists should have no trouble producing life right? So then why haven't these erudite, scholarly, learned savants created life? What is the problem? Isn't the potter more intelligent than the clay? Aren't we the potter of life? Perhaps we are truly the clay just as the Bible states (illustratively of course not literally).

Bardock42
You thought I was asking you that question, but I was really being a smart ass. wink laughing out loud Sure you were...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42
Sure you were... I'm sorry, but I don't feel like explaining it to you.

Magee
We havnt made a universe yet either, proof that God exists.

FeceMan
To be fair, what JIA is getting at is the theoretical chemical origins of life. There's a huge difference between creating life using all one's resources and creating life based on the assumed early-Earth conditions.

But, JIA is dumb, as usual.

So let's get back to our regularly scheduled program: bewbz.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by FeceMan
To be fair, what JIA is getting at is the theoretical chemical origins of life. There's a huge difference between creating life using all one's resources and creating life based on the assumed early-Earth conditions.

But, JIA is dumb, as usual.

So let's get back to our regularly scheduled program: bewbz.

It is so refreshing to see Christian love in action. laughing out loud

Mindship
You thought I was asking you that question, but I was really being a smart ass. wink laughing out loud And a damn good one at that. confused

Shakyamunison
And a damn good one at that. confused

Thank you! big grin I think... confused laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos

Give it some time biotch!

Wiki would be a more likely condidate in the future though . . . that or pr0n networks.

Boris
Originally posted by Magee
We havnt made a universe yet either, proof that God exists.

Hahaha, what?!

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Bardock42
I'm sorry, but I don't feel like explaining it to you.

I'm sorry, but lets face it, you are not the smartes pen on the tree.

Shakyamunison
I'm sorry, but lets face it, you are not the smartes pen on the tree.

laughing

ThePittman

Shakyamunison

ThePittman
God didn't want us too. laughing Damn foiled again, that God is a tricky one pitt_fist

Boris
He's magic you know.

Magee
Originally posted by Boris
Hahaha, what?!

That makes no sense whatsoever. That was kind of my point.

Alliance
Is life just chemistry? So then life should be capable of being created in a laboratory right? I mean if life truly is just a bunch of chemicals then scientists should have no trouble producing life right? So then why haven't these erudite, scholarly, learned savants created life? What is the problem? Isn't the potter more intelligent than the clay? Aren't we the potter of life? Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
Perhaps we are truly the clay just as the Bible states (illustratively of course not literally).

Clearly in 1000 CE...since man could not fly, he would never be able to.

And no, the potter is not more intelligent than the clay, but the potter has to learn how to manipulate the clay before he can make anything more than an amorphous lump.

Besides, chemist are very good potters. However, the potter doesn't MAKE the clay, he makes objects from the clay: manipulates it. We manupulate human chemistry all the time. Making life is a whole different step.

Another fabulous analogy...not that you'll reply of course, because you actually don't have answers.

Perhaps we are truly the clay just as the Bible states (illustratively of course not literally).

Are you NOT taking the Bible literally?

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Alliance
Clearly in 1000 CE...since man could not fly, he would never be able to.

And no, the potter is not more intelligent than the clay, but the potter has to learn how to manipulate the clay before he can make anything more than an amorphous lump.

Besides, chemist are very good potters. However, the potter doesn't MAKE the clay, he makes objects from the clay: manipulates it. We manupulate human chemistry all the time. Making life is a whole different step.

Another fabulous analogy...not that you'll reply of course, because you actually don't have answers.

Are you NOT taking the Bible literally?

With all of our superb technology, knowledge, skill, ingenuity, and education scientists (plural which means that many heads are better than one) should be able to at least (at the very minimum) duplicate (deliberately) what scientists believe that random, chance occurrence did by fortuitous happenstance right? What is the hold up? Why should it take billions of years to create life with our smarts, technology, supercomputers, etc. In fact, which part evolved first the chicken or the egg--oops, I mean the brain or the foot? Why don't scientists simply make a toe? That's all, they don't have to make a brain, just create a big toe, and I'll be satisfied.

ThePittman

FeceMan

Shakyamunison
With all of our superb technology, knowledge, skill, ingenuity, and education scientists (plural which means that many heads are better than one) should be able to at least (at the very minimum) duplicate (deliberately) what scientists believe that random, chance occurrence did by fortuitous happenstance right? What is the hold up? Why should it take billions of years to create life with our smarts, technology, supercomputers, etc. In fact, which part evolved first the chicken or the egg--oops, I mean the brain or the foot? Why don't scientists simply make a toe? That's all, they don't have to make a brain, just create a big toe, and I'll be satisfied.

I bet we will create artificial life within our life time.

Why hasn't Jesus returned yet? It's been over 2000 years. roll eyes (sarcastic)

King Kandy
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Apparently they've been working on a man-made life form for almost eight years now.

Czech this

JesusIsAlive
I bet we will create artificial life within our life time.

Why hasn't Jesus returned yet? It's been over 2000 years. roll eyes (sarcastic)

With all of our collective brain power, supercomputers the size of rooms, ingenuity, scientific prowess, savvy, complex machinery, robotics, education, B.A.s, B.S.s, Master degrees, and Phds--the best that we can do is create spam (artifical meat), I mean artifical life? Come on now Shakyamunision, random, chance, fortuitous happenstance cannot be smarter than us, can it? Just maybe there is a God...hmm.

Jesus is given you and others like you a chance to repent of your sins.

King Kandy

Czech this

You know, if 1000 years ago you'd said "Man cannot create flying devices, therefore their ability to do so must be limited by God", your argument would have the same validity then as it would now.

JesusIsAlive
You know, if 1000 years ago you'd said "Man cannot create flying devices, therefore their ability to do so must be limited by God", your argument would have the same validity then as it would now.

But I didn't. I asked a valid question (it is valid because of the abundance of knowledge at our disposal and fingertips). We can send people to the moon, clone organisms, perform open heart surgery, make an ipod (er...uh...let me get back on track), communicate with people in other countries by phone or computer. We can do all of these amazing things but we cannot create an eye, or skin, or an efficient heart. We cannot even make a kidney, lung, or bladder. We cannot even create blood. I really don't understand why we cannot do all of these things. We can create an automaton, but we cannot give it a brain that is able to process information faster than the fastest supercomputer? I am nonplussed.

God? Could You possibly be the Creator of the human body?

Alliance

You have no idea how complex the human body is. The tools we have are the best they've every been, but we don't know everything. Try making an oragami crane with a jackhammer. It should be easy to make an oragami crane.

We can only manuipulate proteins we can isolate. We can only interpret code we can understand.

There is a lot we don't know. There is likely even more we don't know that we don't even know we know. You ignore many issues that are simply a result of how complex the situation is. No machine on earth is as efficient or complex as natural biological systems.

We're making progress, especailly at the genomic level, we have a much better understanding of how DNA works and what it means. Still, we don't really know what the function of many parts of DNA. Proteins are a whole different story.

Big toe? Come on, you're talking about the interaction of millions of cells that need to be creaded from scratch and then developed into multiple organ systems and have functional significance.

Lets start with a cell, which would be a more realistic goal at the current time. More specifically, a prokaryote organism, a single cell that doesn't require the interactions with others. We can thow a bunch of structures together and a bunch of proteins et al, but we'll be missing other compounds that we haven't identified yet. Compounds necessary maybe even during only one part of its life cycle.

Its just simply not a practical area of research at this point.

So, why the f*ck does this even matter?

But I didn't. I asked a valid question (it is valid because of the abundance of knowledge at our disposal and fingertips).

They said the same thing in 1000 CE about flying machines. They sat back and marveled at how advanced they were.

FeceMan
It doesn't. Humans creating life doesn't matter, be it a cell or a human.

Alliance
But why does JIA think it matters? More proselytizing?

FeceMan
But why does JIA think it matters? More proselytizing?
He's dumb.

Alliance
Yes.

JesusIsAlive
You have no idea how complex the human body is. The tools we have are the best they've every been, but we don't know everything. Try making an oragami crane with a jackhammer. It should be easy to make an oragami crane.

We can only manuipulate proteins we can isolate. We can only interpret code we can understand.

There is a lot we don't know. There is likely even more we don't know that we don't even know we know. You ignore many issues that are simply a result of how complex the situation is. No machine on earth is as efficient or complex as natural biological systems.

We're making progress, especailly at the genomic level, we have a much better understanding of how DNA works and what it means. Still, we don't really know what the function of many parts of DNA. Proteins are a whole different story.

Big toe? Come on, you're talking about the interaction of millions of cells that need to be creaded from scratch and then developed into multiple organ systems and have functional significance.

Lets start with a cell, which would be a more realistic goal at the current time. More specifically, a prokaryote organism, a single cell that doesn't require the interactions with others. We can thow a bunch of structures together and a bunch of proteins et al, but we'll be missing other compounds that we haven't identified yet. Compounds necessary maybe even during only one part of its life cycle.

Its just simply not a practical area of research at this point.

They said the same thing in 1000 CE about flying machines. They sat back and marveled at how advanced they were.

My point is that the human body is too complicated to have evolved. Time is irrelevant and immaterial with regard to evolution, there is no way that life (billions of organisms consisting of complicated plants, humans, insects, animals, etc.) evolved.

http://nwcreation.net/abiogenesis.html

http://www.doesgodexist.org/MayJun01/NewPlanetsDemonstrateEarthsUniqueness.html

Alliance
My point is that the human body is too complicated to have evolved./B]

Why?

FeceMan
Why?
Shhh, you'll spoil it.

The entire point of such a statement is to end the discussion on a "So there!" note. With that statement, JIA has officially beaten evolution.

http://doodoodoodoodoo.ytmnd.com/

JesusIsAlive
Why?

http://nwcreation.net/articles/howlifebegin.html(the answer to your question Alliance can be found in this link)

Magee
My point is that the human body is too complicated to have evolved. Time is irrelevant and immaterial with regard to evolution, there is no way that life (billions of organisms consisting of complicated plants, humans, insects, animals, etc.) evolved.

http://nwcreation.net/abiogenesis.html

http://www.doesgodexist.org/MayJun01/NewPlanetsDemonstrateEarthsUniqueness.html Just because your simple mind cant quite grasp the concept does not discredit it in anyway. The bible suits a person like you, stick to it.

JesusIsAlive
Just because your simple mind cant quite grasp the concept does not discredit it in anyway. The bible suits a person like you, stick to it.

The most erudite scientists cannot grasp the concept otherwise they would have created life a long time ago.

http://www.bibleplus.org/creation/evidence.htm

Magee
The fact you think creating life is as simple as growing a tomato plant is proof that you really know nothing about what you are talking about. What exactly is your point anyway? That God exists because humans have yet to create life?

I think you just love to simplify things to fit your own twisted views.

JesusIsAlive
The fact you think creating life is as simple as growing a tomato plant is proof that you really know nothing about what you are talking about. What exactly is your point anyway? That God exists because humans have yet to create life?

I think you just love to simplify things to fit your own twisted views.

What twisted views? Evolution is not possible based on all of the information that we have gathered hitherto.

ThePittman
Guess JIA is ignoring me, how very nice of him. OH well no expression

Magee
What twisted views? Evolution is not possible based on all of the information that we have gathered hitherto. laughing You are funny.

xmarksthespot
False dilemmas for 200, Alex.

chillmeistergen

Ever heard of a pacemaker?

Alliance
http://nwcreation.net/articles/howlifebegin.html(the answer to your question Alliance can be found in this link)

I can't argue with a webpage. Especially one riddled with factual innacuracies. If you want me to respond, write a post (not copy-paste a webpage)

Also: tell me this: If I know nothing of Christianity, would you listen to me if I told you how to be a good Christian?

ThePittman
http://nwcreation.net/articles/howlifebegin.html(the answer to your question Alliance can be found in this link) Read the link, not impressed and see many holes in the logic. You also keep posting links saying that they can figure it out and the odds of it happening are astronomical, but the links that you keep posting and the research that they are using to support it are from books that were published 10 to 20 years ago which means the research that in it is even older than that. Do you understand the advancements in science that has happened since then and new breakthroughs in biology and our understanding? Back when these books were published they barely had an understanding of DNA much less mapped it. Bio-engineering is only in its infant stage, I have no doubt within my life time and definitely within yours that they will indeed reproduce life but you will still doubt that as well.

Magee
Yes but until we create a human from nothingness the hardcore christians will not be happy chappys.

ThePittman
Yes but until we create a human from nothingness the hardcore christians will not be happy chappys. Even for JIA that wouldn't be enough because he would simply say that it was man creating it and not by chance. wink

King Kandy
But I didn't. I asked a valid question (it is valid because of the abundance of knowledge at our disposal and fingertips). We can send people to the moon, clone organisms, perform open heart surgery, make an ipod (er...uh...let me get back on track), communicate with people in other countries by phone or computer. We can do all of these amazing things but we cannot create an eye, or skin, or an efficient heart. We cannot even make a kidney, lung, or bladder. We cannot even create blood. I really don't understand why we cannot do all of these things. We can create an automaton, but we cannot give it a brain that is able to process information faster than the fastest supercomputer? I am nonplussed.

God? Could You possibly be the Creator of the human body?
Or maybe, just maybe... Humans haven't done everything theoretically possible? Also, check the link... A guy created Microbes.

King Kandy

Czech this

Shakyamunison
^It's too small, I can't read it with my eyes closed. laughing

ThePittman
^It's too small, I can't read it with my eyes closed. laughing laughing

AngryManatee
rofl big words for big kids Happy Dance

AngryManatee
rolling on floor laughing

Alliance
Originally posted by ThePittman
Read the link, not impressed and see many holes in the logic. You also keep posting links saying that they can figure it out and the odds of it happening are astronomical, but the links that you keep posting and the research that they are using to support it are from books that were published 10 to 20 years ago which means the research that in it is even older than that. Do you understand the advancements in science that has happened since then and new breakthroughs in biology and our understanding? Back when these books were published they barely had an understanding of DNA much less mapped it. Bio-engineering is only in its infant stage, I have no doubt within my life time and definitely within yours that they will indeed reproduce life but you will still doubt that as well.

Selectively using old sources is a favorite of creationists...they act as if problems and misconceptions about evolution from the 1920's (pre-Modern Synthesis) are still present

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
If life's just chemistry, why can't God just be chemistry, JIA?

Because God is a Spirit.

King Kandy
JIA, I've posted the link like five times, even once in giant type... Stop ignoring it.

JesusIsAlive
JIA, I've posted the link like five times, even once in giant type... Stop ignoring it.

What link?

King Kandy
I don't know, the one in GIANT TYPE near the top of the page?

How could you possibly miss it?

JesusIsAlive
I don't know, the one in GIANT TYPE near the top of the page?

How could you possibly miss it?

With all of our collective brain power, supercomputers the size of rooms, ingenuity, scientific prowess, savvy, complex machinery, robotics, education, B.A.s, B.S.s, Master degrees, and Phds--the best that we can do is create spam (artifical meat), I mean artifical life? Come on now Shakyamunision, random, chance, fortuitous happenstance cannot be smarter than us, can it? Just maybe there is a God...hmm.

Jesus is given you and others like you a chance to repent of your sins.

King Kandy
WELL IF YOU"D CLICKED ON THE DAMN LINK YOU'D HAVE KNOWN THAT MICROBES HAVE BEEN CREATED!!!!

JesusIsAlive
WELL IF YOU"D CLICKED ON THE DAMN LINK YOU'D HAVE KNOWN THAT MICROBES HAVE BEEN CREATED!!!!

I did click on it back when AngryManatee posted it. They have not created anything, they have simply taken preexistent material and manipulated its sequence of DNA.

King Kandy
No, they took DNA and turned it into a living creature... The DNA wasn't part of a living being when the used it.

Also, something you have to realize is that according to current theory, it took 11 billion years for life to come about on Earth... We've only really been trying to do it with our tech for 70 years. You'll have to give us a bit more time then that.

JesusIsAlive
No, they took DNA and turned it into a living creature... The DNA wasn't part of a living being when the used it.

Also, something you have to realize is that according to current theory, it took 11 billion years for life to come about on Earth... We've only really been trying to do it with our tech for 70 years. You'll have to give us a bit more time then that.

The scientists took DNA from bacteria called Mycoplasma genitalium.

AngryManatee
It still serves as evidence that we're getting ever closer, all it takes is time.

lord xyz
Is life just chemistry? Yes.
So then life should be capable of being created in a laboratory right? Yes.
I mean if life truly is just a bunch of chemicals then scientists should have no trouble producing life right? Yes!
So then why haven't these erudite, scholarly, learned savants created life? This post doesn't seem intelligent anymore.
What is the problem? Assholes like you aren't helping. Wait, I thought they did make life. What? I have a link? http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2069 What? Another? http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/news/releases/2002/02_33AR.html Wow, guess I got you there.

King Kandy
The scientists took DNA from bacteria called Mycoplasma genitalium.
How do you know that? It doesn't say in the article.

JesusIsAlive
How do you know that? It doesn't say in the article.

http://www.edwardwillett.com/Columns/manmadelife.htm

King Kandy
That article says they manufactured their own genes... They only used the organisms genes for testing.

AngryManatee

from the site:

The first step of the project will be to create an artificial chromosome (the structure that holds genes in place in the nucleus of a cell) packed with about 300 manufactured genes, based on the essential genes discovered in 1999. The scientists will then place the artificial chromosome in the nucleus of an M. genitalium bacterium whose own genetic material has been removed. If the experiment works, the new cell will be able to divide and produce a new generation of cells, all of which will contain the new man-made genetic instructions.

JesusIsAlive
from the site:

The first step of the project will be to create an artificial chromosome (the structure that holds genes in place in the nucleus of a cell) packed with about 300 manufactured genes, based on the essential genes discovered in 1999. The scientists will then place the artificial chromosome in the nucleus of an M. genitalium bacterium whose own genetic material has been removed. If the experiment works, the new cell will be able to divide and produce a new generation of cells, all of which will contain the new man-made genetic instructions.

They are still using preexistent material as I have previously stated. They are using the Mycoplasma genitalium cell.

Shakyamunison
They are still using preexistent material as I have previously stated. They are using the Mycoplasma genitalium cell

So, if we could reanimate a dead body, you would say that it was alive to begin with?

King Kandy
They are still using preexistent material as I have previously stated. They are using the Mycoplasma genitalium cell.
Yeah, for testing and hosting.

The lifeform itself is 100% artificial.

And anyway, even if this isn't artificial life by your definition, you have to admit that it IS a huge step in the right direction.

AngryManatee
As I said before, it's only the beginning JIA.

JesusIsAlive
So, if we could reanimate a dead body, you would say that it was alive to begin with?

Creating life means just that: creating life (i.e. creating a complicated organsim from nothing like God did), which Dr. Venter and his myriad of colleagues have not done.

AngryManatee
and we're getting ever so much closer

King Kandy
This artificial bacteria is a step in the right direction... We're getting closer every day.

PITT_HAPPENS
Creating life means just that: creating life (i.e. creating a complicated organsim from nothing like God did), which Dr. Venter and his myriad of colleagues have not done. For you even if they crated everything from nothing you still wouldn't believe because it was done in a lab. The point is with every try and new experiment they get closer and closer removing one important step after another which gets them closer. You do not build the entire house without building the foundation and walls first, once you have these it is still not a house but the first steps to building one.

JesusIsAlive
This artificial bacteria is a step in the right direction... We're getting closer every day.

It will never happen.

PITT_HAPPENS
It will never happen. Yes it will, maybe not in my life time or maybe not even in yours but it will.

Shakyamunison
It will never happen.

And when it does happen, what will you do then?

PITT_HAPPENS
And when it does happen, what will you do then? Deny it as normal or come up with some other thing to BS about. wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PITT_HAPPENS
Yes it will, maybe not in my life time or maybe not even in yours but it will.

We also thought we would never map the human genome in our life time.

PITT_HAPPENS
We also thought we would never map the human genome in our life time. That's why I said maybe, all it takes is someone to get inspired and it opens up a floodgate of new idea. I would love to see it in my life time. smile

Shakyamunison
That's why I said maybe, all it takes is someone to get inspired and it opens up a floodgate of new idea. I would love to see it in my life time. smile

Don't go playing in the street tomorrow then. wink

PITT_HAPPENS
Don't go playing in the street tomorrow then. wink roadkill

stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
roadkill

stick out tongue

laughing_____no expression_____sick____puke

JesusIsAlive
And when it does happen, what will you do then?

I will run through town with my hair on fire screaming wooly wooly bug, go on fear factor and eat all kinds of disgusting things for free, eat crow, believe in unicorns and green dragons, give my money to the A.C.L.U., streak during a Super Bowl carrying a sign that reads:

"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."

I'll shake my derriere for the world to behold while dancing to Will Smith's gettin' jiggy with it on my ipod, then I will parachute into the jungles of the orient and become a Tibetan monk. Next I will come out of that life and make my living as an underwear model turned reality show producer turned Swiss watch maker. But I will not stop there. I will write a book entitled, "How The West Was Won Three Secrets to Successful Underwear Modeling Who Let The Dogs Out a Guide to Home Improvement."

Did I lose you on my book title? Anyway, this is just some of the things that I will do.

Bardock42

So what would have to happen to shake your faith?

I mean, the problem we have, that (assuming God exists, he didn't have) is that we essentially lack "nothing". We just don't have it.

Maybe it is the easiest thing in the world to create life out of "nothing"...but we don't know, cause we don't have any "nothing" to try our theories on.

JesusIsAlive
For you even if they crated everything from nothing you still wouldn't believe because it was done in a lab. The point is with every try and new experiment they get closer and closer removing one important step after another which gets them closer. You do not build the entire house without building the foundation and walls first, once you have these it is still not a house but the first steps to building one.

It will never happen (trust me).

JesusIsAlive
So what would have to happen to shake your faith?

I mean, the problem we have, that (assuming God exists, he didn't have) is that we essentially lack "nothing". We just don't have it.

Maybe it is the easiest thing in the world to create life out of "nothing"...but we don't know, cause we don't have any "nothing" to try our theories on.

I will not permit my faith to be shaken.

I don't understand your second statement.

If it was perhaps so easy then why haven't scientists done it?

Bardock42
I will not permit my faith to be shaken.

I don't understand your second statement.

If it was perhaps so easy then why haven't scientists done it?

T-that was the point. We don't know really what there was if anything at all before the God's creation or the big bang, so we can't really test how easy it is to start of a universe or create life and everything from those standpoints.

Boris
God was having an arm wrestle with his roommate... and lost!

JesusIsAlive
God was having an arm wrestle with his roommate... and lost!

?

Boris
Yeah seriously, he was wresting, then he farted and BOOM! Big bang.

Seriously, the holy show tells it as it is.

JesusIsAlive
Yeah seriously, he was wresting, then he farted and BOOM! Big bang.

Seriously, the holy show tells it as it is.

So you admit that God exists?

Boris
Of course... God, his roomate Steve and I used to hang around back in the day, smokin dope, drinkin beers, the usual.

Good times.

JesusIsAlive
Of course... God, his roomate Steve and I used to hang around back in the day, smokin dope, drinkin beers, the usual.

Good times.

So then why do you cling to evolutionary theory since you believe that God exists?

Boris
God told me the bible is wrong.

He was wasted one night and let it slip.

Shakyamunison
I will run through town with my hair on fire screaming wooly wooly bug, go on fear factor and eat all kinds of disgusting things for free, eat crow, believe in unicorns and green dragons, give my money to the A.C.L.U., streak during a Super Bowl carrying a sign that reads:

I'll shake my derriere for the world to behold while dancing to Will Smith's gettin' jiggy with it on my ipod, then I will parachute into the jungles of the orient and become a Tibetan monk. Next I will come out of that life and make my living as an underwear model turned reality show producer turned Swiss watch maker. But I will not stop there. I will write a book entitled, "How The West Was Won Three Secrets to Successful Underwear Modeling Who Let The Dogs Out a Guide to Home Improvement."

Did I lose you on my book title? Anyway, this is just some of the things that I will do.

laughing I can't wait...

JesusIsAlive
laughing I can't wait...

Do I look worried?

cool wink

Boris
YOU LOOK LIKE A SINNER!!!!!

Shakyamunison
Do I look worried?

cool wink

I can't see you. no expression

JesusIsAlive
I can't see you. no expression

My photograph is a smilie.

Here is me receiving my Phd from Harvard:

smart

Shakyamunison
My photograph is a smilie.

Here is me receiving my Phd from Harvard:

smart

You are delusional. Harvard would never admit someone without a high school education. laughing

JesusIsAlive
You are delusional. Harvard would never admit someone without a high school education. laughing

Here is me celebrating Halloween before I was a born again believer in Jesus Christ:

zorro

Shakyamunison
Here is me celebrating Halloween before I was a born again believer in Jesus Christ:

zorro

Whatever.

PITT_HAPPENS
It will never happen (trust me). No I don't trust you, and yes it will. Same as they said that the Earth was flat, man can't go faster than sound, man can not fly and you man map the human genome. It will happen (trust me) wink

Evil Dead
No I don't trust you, and yes it will. Same as they said that the Earth was flat, man can't go faster than sound, man can not fly and you man map the human genome. It will happen (trust me) wink

he doesn't know all of those are true though. Nowhere in the bible does it state that man can go fater than sound, the earth is not flat or man can fly.

PITT_HAPPENS
Every years someone comes closer and closer to solving this riddle and with each step they eliminate one more piece of the puzzle and all JIA can say is that "they can't do it, so it is false".

I just amaze me they level of denial that he has, he accuses me that he couldn't convince me but that is where he is wrong. I do hold that I could be wrong and leave that possibility open where he does not, I do question my own beliefs where he does not and this is where I'm more "enlightened" them him. wink

fini
Sigh, why do you all bother with arguing with JIA. HE is pigheaded, Arrogant , Ignorant and the perfect brainwashed zombie. People like him dont listen to reason , nor fact........ only those WARPED, BIASED ones that are found on the sites he links to.

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by fini
Sigh, why do you all bother with arguing with JIA. HE is pigheaded, Arrogant , Ignorant and the perfect brainwashed zombie. People like him dont listen to reason , nor fact........ only those WARPED, BIASED ones that are found on the sites he links to. cause it is fun confused

debbiejo
laughing out loud

lord xyz
cause it is fun confused laughing And he always makes us laugh.

AngryManatee
Yes, especially when he brings up everything from 20+ year old data that he believes supports his stance (despite some of the statistics beings about quantum science, which disproves his belief in causality), asks other people to provide sources from where their information comes from, provides sites filled with crap (such as that lovely site about neandertals), and acts like a flatout moron.

King Kandy

Okay, I'm totaly going to be an evolutionary biolegist now, just so I can help the world get one step closer to that goal.

JesusIsAlive
Okay, I'm totaly going to be an evolutionary biolegist now, just so I can help the world get one step closer to that goal.

The best minds in the world (collectively) have been working on this for years do you really believe that you have anything to contribute? (Guess I won't be hollering "wooly wooly bug" with my hair on fire, except when Hell freezes over, unicorns and green dragons exist, and when Bush recalls all of the troops from Iraq)

PITT_HAPPENS
The best minds in the world (collectively) have been working on this for years do you really believe that you have anything to contribute? (Guess I won't be hollering "wooly wooly bug" with my hair on fire, except when Hell freezes over, unicorns and green dragons exist, and when Bush recalls all of the troops from Iraq) You know how ridiculous that statement is? Why do you keep insisting on using it? Just because we haven't done it yet doesn't mean that it can't be done, IE look at the airplane. For hundreds of years some of the best minds in the world tried to learn how to fly and they said it couldn't be done and it just took two guys to figure it out and look at us now. So please stop using that statement, it is so wrong on so many levels.

King Kandy
The best minds in the world (collectively) have been working on this for years do you really believe that you have anything to contribute? (Guess I won't be hollering "wooly wooly bug" with my hair on fire, except when Hell freezes over, unicorns and green dragons exist, and when Bush recalls all of the troops from Iraq)
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard...

You know, for hundreds of years people didn't calculate the properties of Gravity with good accuracy... The finest minds working together. I guess that means that Newton couldn't have POSSIBLY done it...

JesusIsAlive
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard...

You know, for hundreds of years people didn't calculate the properties of Gravity with good accuracy... The finest minds working together. I guess that means that Newton couldn't have POSSIBLY done it...

Calculating the properites gravity and creating life from nothing are not the same.

Shakyamunison
Calculating the properites gravity and creating life from nothing are not the same.

What about making something alive from things that are not alive?

PITT_HAPPENS
Calculating the properites gravity and creating life from nothing are not the same. Before you can do Trigonometry you must be able to do basic math wink

Goddess Kali
The best minds in the world (collectively) have been working on this for years do you really believe that you have anything to contribute?

I think you should take your own advice

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
I think you should take your own advice

Be realistic.

Goddess Kali
Be realistic.

You think JIA is hopeless ? laughing

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
You think JIA is hopeless ? laughing

No one is hopeless, but he is very near. wink

leonheartmm
actually, people like JIA. who are as extreme as him, are also as volatile. he might undergo and extreme change too and become the most passionately reasonable humanist on earth. then again.............maybe not.

leonheartmm

zorro

erm, you were zorro{who took from the rich and gave to the poor/fought for justice/ was COOL} before giving it up and turning into a brainwashed self appointed preacher/crusader who does nothing better for the public good than fill their heads with dogmatic delusions??????? what am i to make of that????

OH I SEE!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHA. you got me there. you were actually trying to tell us how before being born again, you used to partake in EVIL/HEATHANISTIC/HERETICAL holidays like "HALLOWEEN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

truly if sumthing can take me away form such a terrible tradition, I TOO WANNA BECOME A BORN AGAIN AND ACCEPT JESUS IN MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

King Kandy
So? I wasn't comparing them at all, I was comparing the idea of "One man can't make a difference" that you were proprieting.

PITT_HAPPENS
So? I wasn't comparing them at all, I was comparing the idea of "One man can't make a difference" that you were proprieting. You must remember that for JIA that 1 + 1 = 11 wink

King Kandy
Originally posted by leonheartmm
erm, you were zorro{who took from the rich and gave to the poor/fought for justice/ was COOL} before giving it up and turning into a brainwashed self appointed preacher/crusader who does nothing better for the public good than fill their heads with dogmatic delusions??????? what am i to make of that????

OH I SEE!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHA. you got me there. you were actually trying to tell us how before being born again, you used to partake in EVIL/HEATHANISTIC/HERETICAL holidays like "HALLOWEEN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

truly if sumthing can take me away form such a terrible tradition, I TOO WANNA BECOME A BORN AGAIN AND ACCEPT JESUS IN MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Quark_666
life is subatomic physics, energy, gravitational and electrical fields, nuclear forces, and QUARKS.

It goes mch deeper then chemistry.

Alliance
up? down? charm? strange? top? bottom? red? green? blue?

Shakyamunison
up? down? charm? strange? top? bottom? red? green? blue?

Cool! I was looking for a list of quarks. I remembered Up, Down, Top, Bottom, Charmed and Strange, but I had forgotten Red and Green. BTW What is Blue?

Alliance
the red/green/blue are the flavors of the 6 types...thoguht I don't remeber what acutally makes them different...and I'm not going to look it up.

Shakyamunison
the red/green/blue are the flavors of the 6 types...thoguht I don't remeber what acutally makes them different...and I'm not going to look it up.

I thought there was only 8, 4 pairs of 2.

PITT_HAPPENS
I've never heard of this before eek!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>