Wolverine's martial art skill. (The final straw)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alfheim
Ok we have already had Wolverine takes class 100 shots like nothing. This is a thread to discuss Wolverines martial art skill. How does somebody who uses super sharp claws 90% percent of the time and has a healing factor and an adamantuim skull beat people who use skill and agility 100% of the time?

How does Wolverine beat Shang Chi in 3 panels? How does a starving and sleep deprived Wolverine beat one of the world's greatest combat strategists who is not in a weakened state?

PIS. Discuss.

jasonk3
Originally posted by Alfheim
Ok we have already had Wolverine takes class 100 shots like nothing. This is a thread to discuss Wolverines martial art skill. How does somebody who uses super sharp claws 90% percent of the time and has a healing factor and an adamantuim skull beat people who use skill and agility 100% of the time?

How does Wolverine beat Shang Chi in 3 panels? How does a starving and sleep deprived Wolverine beat one of the world's greatest combat strategists who is not in a weakened state?

PIS. Discuss.

Because he's skilled like that...

WORD !

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by jasonk3
Because he's skilled like that...

WORD ! pwnt.

llagrok
Depends on who's writing him.

jasonk3

Creshosk

PIS. Discuss. How does one define combat skill but to pit that one against others?

How does Shang Chi garner himself the position you assign him?

The same damned way.

This was back when he was bone claw Wolverine and his system wasn't constantly dealing with the adamantium, He wasn't as heavy as he is with the adamantium. Its like intansive weight training having that extra couple hundred pounds on you and then removing it.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Creshosk
How does one define combat skill but to pit that one against others?

How does Shang Chi garner himself the position you assign him?

The same damned way.

This was back when he was bone claw Wolverine and his system wasn't constantly dealing with the adamantium, He wasn't as heavy as he is with the adamantium. Its like intansive weight training having that extra couple hundred pounds on you and then removing it.

Thats true but I still think 3panels is too quick. Eventhough he was bone claw he still did not have lots of experience fighting without adamantuim. Even if he did have more speed he certainly would not have more technique.

jasonk3
Thats true but I still think 3panels is too quick. Eventhough he was bone claw he still did not have lots of experience fighting without adamantuim. Even if he did have more speed he certainly would not have more technique.

He has tons of experince Alf...that is why he is one of marvels top martial artists...

Creshosk
Thats true but I still think 3panels is too quick. Eventhough he was bone claw he still did not have lots of experience fighting without adamantuim. Even if he did have more speed he certainly would not have more technique. It wouldn't take that much to adapt to the new weight. He's not a total ignoramous, I'd say it'd take just a little bit to correct for the new weight/speed.

Alfheim
Originally posted by jasonk3
He has tons of experince Alf...that is why he is one of marvels top martial artists...

Well apparently he is what....200 years old? But heres the thing from my understanding, he didnt train constanly and recently he has become used to using super sharp claws and relying on healing factor and adamntuim. Even if you are 200 years old that will affect your skill.

It wouldn't take that much to adapt to the new weight. He's not a total ignoramous, I'd say it'd take just a little bit to correct for the new weight/speed.

Of course he could but you have to still take into the account he is still fighting somebody who uses skill 100% of the time. Furthermore its only a 100lbs in weight so its not that much difference.

Oh yeah and im not really talking about the weight difference, im talking about him not using skill most of the time.

Creshosk
Well apparently he is what....200 years old? But heres the thing from my understanding, he didnt train constanly and recently he has become used to using super sharp claws and relying on healing factor and adamntuim. Even if you are 200 years old that will affect your skill.

Of course he could but you have to still take into the account he is still fighting somebody who uses skill 100% of the time. Furthermore its only a 100lbs in weight so its not that much difference.

Oh yeah and im not really talking about the weight difference, im talking about him not using skill most of the time.

To paraphrase homer simpson... god I can't beleive I'm using this in context.

"Just because he doesn't care, doesn't mean he doesn't understand."

The clawed weapon that is a part of him naturally exists. you can also find similar weapons such at the katar. I'd say using that weapon all the time would probably make youvery good with it. He's extremly accurate with them. and since he can afford to take the hit to get in close to deliver the blow means that he would.

Just because you don't see his skill portrayed properly when fighting sequences are mashed into panel by panel occurences doesn't mean that he's not fighting with skill. He's normally pitted against others who have a considerable level of skill as well.

He is capable of dispatching Genin ninja with a fair bit of ease. Something I doubt any KMCer could do themselves.

Be mindful that you might not interpret what he does as skill but that's what its supposed to be in the comics.

Newjak
Let's just be brunt with this

Wolverine carries into combat certain advantages all the time.

He is able to lift a ton and run as fast as a car.

He has senses that allow him to know where people are at all times.

He has enhanced agility.

He has a healing factor that heals most damage sustained to his body

He has built knives on him at all time.

Realistically any street level guy should have a large problem with Wolverine based on his abilities alone.

Jimmy Buggs
Training in a broad spectrem of combat styles.

Symmetric Chaos
He is capable of dispatching Genin ninja with a fair bit of ease. Something I doubt any KMCer could do themselves.

dispatching Genin ninja

Genin

no expression

stick out tongue

Creshosk
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
no expression

stick out tongue

Am I missing something? confused

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/9215/hruxm268pg05kr6.th.jpg

Its not a Naruto reference. The words they use are legitimate.

Genin - low ranking ninja
Chounin - mid level ninja
Jounin - high ranking ninja

Symmetric Chaos

Wow. For serious?

I figured the mangaka had just pieced together words that approximated the meaning he wanted.

Guess I learn somethingnew every day.

llagrok

Actually.

Genin was used for normal, medium ranked shinobi
Chonin was for high ranking shinobi
Jonin was for the top dog

Creshosk
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Wow. For serious?

I figured the mangaka had just pieced together words that approximated the meaning he wanted.

Guess I learn somethingnew every day. Talk about geekdom huh? Learned something from a comic book geek.

Originally posted by llagrok
Actually.

Genin was used for normal, medium ranked shinobi
Chonin was for high ranking shinobi
Jonin was for the top dog Yeah, well, technically.

Alfheim
To paraphrase homer simpson... god I can't beleive I'm using this in context.

Yeah, and what?

"Just because he doesn't care, doesn't mean he doesn't understand."

Not telling me anything I dont know.

The clawed weapon that is a part of him naturally exists. you can also find similar weapons such at the katar. I'd say using that weapon all the time would probably make youvery good with it. He's extremly accurate with them. and since he can afford to take the hit to get in close to deliver the blow means that he would.

Just because you don't see his skill portrayed properly when fighting sequences are mashed into panel by panel occurences doesn't mean that he's not fighting with skill. He's normally pitted against others who have a considerable level of skill as well.

Be mindful that you might not interpret what he does as skill but that's what its supposed to be in the comics.

Ok maybe its my fault because I gave the impression that he was using NO skill at all. Of course Wolverine uses skill but when you have claws that are super sharp you dont have to try that hard to injure people, its not like the other street levelers who dont have that luxury and would have to think their socks off.

Of course he has skill and can use it, but at the end of the day if you rely on certain powers to get you throguh fights most of the time it will make you less skilled in the H2H department.

Originally posted by Newjak
Let's just be brunt with this

Wolverine carries into combat certain advantages all the time.

He is able to lift a ton and run as fast as a car.

He has senses that allow him to know where people are at all times.

He has enhanced agility.

He has a healing factor that heals most damage sustained to his body

He has built knives on him at all time.

Realistically any street level guy should have a large problem with Wolverine based on his abilities alone.

Bro were talking about his MA skill not his powers. As King Kam put it once "Take away his adamantuim and his healing factor and hes somebodies b*tch."

llagrok
Yeah, and what?

Not telling me anything I dont know.

Ok maybe its my fault because I gave the impression that he was using NO skill at all. Of course Wolverine uses skill but when you have claws that are super sharp you dont have to try that hard to injure people, its not like the other street levelers who dont have that luxury and would have to think their socks off.

Of course he has skill and can use it, but at the end of the day if you rely on certain powers to get you throguh fights most of the time it will make you less skilled in the H2H department.

Bro were talking about his MA skill not his powers. As King Kam put it once "Take away his adamantuim and his healing factor and hes somebodies b*tch."

Then King Kam is an idiot and needs to get his facts straight.

Wolverine took out anyone who gave him a skewed eye when he was sent to prison. Prison where they held back his claws, healing factor and powers.

Sparkz

Erm well he beats them because he has Super sharp claws a healing factor and an adamantium skeleton...you kinda gave the answer your in statement there... was their an actual reason to this question?

DigiMark007
You're asking why a writer chose to write a specific scene a certain way for a character that just happens to be controversial on this forum...

...because he did. Call it PIS, call it writer bias, call it Logan's skill...whatever you want. But it's the same interpretational aspect of comic (for both writer and reader) that happens every single issue.

Closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.