The Greatest Explorer in History!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
These man sailed the savages seas! Conquer many lands! Face many dangers! Discover exotic and gorgeous territories.

So which one do you think is consider the greatest?

Fishy
I'm going to go with Armstrong...

Even though he knew where he was going, knew with some degree of accuracy how it would be like there, where he would land how long it would take to get there and all that other crap. He's still the first guy to ever walk on that stupid orb in the sky that people have aspired to reach for thousands and thousands of years.

But in all honesty the choice is mostly because I can't find anyone on that list that I find more worthy then all the others. and like my gym coach always said, "if you don't know who to pick for your team, just pick the tallest"

Nosada
Alexander the Great. The man conquored Asia and would've ruled the entire world had he not died an early death.

TRH
I am going with the first man to lay on the mainland America....John Cabot

WrathfulDwarf
^ Very interesting choice. thumb up

Kelly_Bean
I never learned about any of these except Chris so I'll go with that. xd2

Templares
Where is Ferdinand Magellan? Im surprised he's not on the poll. Him and his crew eat rats and wood shavings just to circumnavigate the world. Their ships have leaking holes and the only thing that kept them afloat is ceaseless manual labor, day and night for 5 years, of plugging the holes and throwing the water out.

Roald Amundsen, Scott, Shackleton and all the other explorers of the harshest place on the planet, Antarctica, deserve some props.

lil bitchiness
No Jacques Cartier?
He should have made the list.

Bicnarok
Thor Heyerdahl should be in with a shout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Heyerdahl

SelphieT
Marco Polo. I did a report on him when I was in 5th grade.

Darth Macabre
I got to go with Leif Ericson, Erik the red's son.

Quiero Mota
Hernan Cortez, only because he managed to conquer my people.

ragesRemorse
alexander the great

anaconda
first man to lay on the American mainland?????, so the native american that already lived there doesnt cout then

jaden101
personally i'd say Sir Ranulph Fiennes....1st man to completely cross antarctica on foot...his transglobe expedition...the fact that he sufferered a serious heart attack and the next year ran 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days

the fact that after he failed to reach the north pole unaided due to serious frost bite and was told to allow the fingertips to grow as much healthy tissue back possible before amputation....he got tired of the pain and cut them off in his own shed with a saw

he's also climbed 6 of the worlds 7 highest mountains despite suffering severaly from vertigo

not to mention he's been in the SAS and was on a short list to be James Bond after George Lazenby despite having no acting experience...thats nothing to do with adventuring or discovering...its just purely for the coolness factor...haha

IHateCaesar
I agree with jaden that guy is pretty amazing

hullcity
Without doubt the following single man......

Captain James Cook RN - RS !!!

Surely the greatest Cartographer, Navigator, Seaman, Explorer, Humanitarian, Salty Sea Dog and Yorkshireman EVER !

Helped in the 'Transit of Venus' in Tahiti, unbelivably accurate, before finding many of the Polyenesian Islands, New Zealand and Australia for the first time ! travelled the furthest South until 1911. Chartered most of Western Canada looking for the NW Passage and found Hawaii - before losing his life there.

Even 2 of the Space Shuttles are named after his Ships - The 'Endeavour' and 'Discovery' - Even N.A.S.A. are Impressed by him !!

We should all learn from him and his behaviour !

'Behold, his deeds are too numerous surely for one man !'

Respectfully and in Memoradium.

Symmetric Chaos
According to Cracked.com historians no longer think Marco Polo ever got near China in his life erm

Otherwise they're all about equal so I'm going to go with Pytheas because his picture was the coolest when I looked it up.

WickedDynamite

Wild Shadow
Captain James T. Kirk has gone where no man has dared gone before...

after kirk is Neil Armstrong only legitimate explorers who have explored places that werent already discovered and populated by indigenous ppl.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
Captain James T. Kirk has gone where no man has dared gone before...

after kirk is Neil Armstrong only legitimate explorers who have explored places that werent already discovered and populated by indigenous ppl.

You're so naive.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
You're so naive. take that back!!! miffed

Mindset
Neil Armstrong.

Liberator
Originally posted by jaden101
personally i'd say Sir Ranulph Fiennes....1st man to completely cross antarctica on foot...his transglobe expedition...the fact that he sufferered a serious heart attack and the next year ran 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days

the fact that after he failed to reach the north pole unaided due to serious frost bite and was told to allow the fingertips to grow as much healthy tissue back possible before amputation....he got tired of the pain and cut them off in his own shed with a saw

he's also climbed 6 of the worlds 7 highest mountains despite suffering severaly from vertigo

not to mention he's been in the SAS and was on a short list to be James Bond after George Lazenby despite having no acting experience...thats nothing to do with adventuring or discovering...its just purely for the coolness factor...haha

Thats the ticket!

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Hernan Cortez, only because he managed to conquer my people.

"pwned"

Wild Shadow
its hard ti fight dirty non bathing europeans with massive loads of diseases and viruses..

biological warfare for the win

Robtard
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
its hard ti fight dirty non bathing europeans with massive loads of diseases and viruses..

biological warfare for the win

Guns, Germs and Steel, FTW.

inimalist
Originally posted by Robtard
Guns, Germs and Steel, FTW.

yeah, as if germs were the only type of warfare we excelled in over native populations

hell, we had better war-animals than those tree huggers

Robtard
Originally posted by inimalist
yeah, as if germs were the only type of warfare we excelled in over native populations

hell, we had better war-animals than those tree huggers

Yup, Incas and their stupid llamas.

Moscow
All the explorers mentioned in the poll were badass men that I would certainly love to emulate. Until some of their other exploits that actually caused the deaths of many, many people came into play.

But... thinking happy thoughts here...I voted for Lewis and Clark. They really didn't know how big this Louisiana Purchase was (really no one did) and they survived over three years with Indian help and their own tough wits. In some of the harshest American weather and terrain too, and they only lost one guy along the way!

Mindset
Originally posted by Liberator
Thats the ticket! My guitar teacher used to always say that, and I wanted to punch him in the face every time.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset
My guitar teacher used to always say that, and I wanted to punch him in the face every time.
Probably not too late to right a wrong.

Mindset
He's dead; I poisoned his coffee.

AsbestosFlaygon
Ferdinand Magellan
Genghis Khan

Bicnarok

Wild Shadow
i thought about the moon conspiracy kicked the idea around in my mind but, how do you explain the mirror they placed on the moon in order to take measurements with lasers here on earth?

Bicnarok

Mindship
The original Kon-Tiki-types, lo so many centuries ago.

Robtard

Lord Coal
Why the **** are Ferdinand Magellan, Walter Raleigh and James Cook not on the list?

Edmund Hilary & Tenzing Norgay should probably be there too, and Roald Amundsen.

While we're at it, who the hell are Bartlett and Lewis & Clark?

Lord Lucien
Hilary, seriously? He scaled mountains, sure. But he's no Magellan.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.