Music you listened to as a kid

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr. Strangelove
Interested in hearing what all of you were listening to as a kid whether it was bands, classical music, or even School House Rock.

When I was just a toddler, my dad played a lot of classical and jazz. Billy the Kid by Aaron Copland was what I remember most of music as that was played all the time when we were on road trips when I was really young. The first band I ever got into was Cake when I was either eight or nine at the time. I got introduced to them when I saw them at a free concert with a friend. I really wasn't into music before that time, so that concert had a big impact on me and still to this day, Cake are one of my favorite bands. I also got heavily into The Offspring who's sound fit my rebelliousness of my teen years. There were other bands like Green Day, Metallica, Eve 6, Garbage, Third Eye Blind that I was into but not as much as the above bands. I was pretty much into rock until my first year in high school where I found a group called The Gorillaz which completely opened me up to new styles of music and made me think to not keep myself in a shell of just listening to rock.

Alpha Centauri
Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, The Beach Boys and Nina Simone were the first artists to get me into music.

My Baby Just Cares for Me by Nina Simone was like a revelation to me. It was what caused my love of music.

-AC

Solo
A lot of New Order. So much that I can't stand listening to them now, although they're still great.

Mywi
my father made me listen to a lot of The Beatles, The Doors, Tom Jones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin..i still love them all

Deathblow
My dad was always into the big 'classic' rock bands like Zep, The Who, The Stones, Rush etc, but then he was always down with the whole alternative 'grunge' thing when I was still pretty little so I would hear a lot of Sonic Youth, Pixies, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Nirvana and Dinosaur Jr. Along with my mother's obsession with R&B and soul, I'm talking Aretha, Otis, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green and so on, that pretty much formed the basis of my music growing up.

First bands I got into completely independently I think were probably Korn and Rage Against The Machine in the early 90s. They had elements I recognised from lots of my parents music but also represented something very new and specific to my generation, so part of the attraction was feeling like they were mine, something I didn't have to share with my folks because it wasn't something they could understand.

Smasandian
I started out with Nirvana and Metallica when I was in Grade 2.

Bought Nevermind thinking it was an Wierd Al Yankovic CD. Black Album was bought because I couldnt get enough of Enter Sandman.

My step dad listened to alot of 60's music. More importantly, the Doors. My dad on the other hand, well, he didnt have the greatest taste in music but the song I most remember hearing was Eye in the Sky by the Allen Parsons Project.

WheretoVirtue?
I grew up in the '90s and I listened to the Spice Girls, Aqua, Savage Garden, The Offspring, Madonna, Jewel, Backstreet Boys and AC/DC.

Healing Artisan
as a kid, mostly Armenian and Russian music. Tata Simonyan, Oleg Gazmanov, Mikhail Shufutinsky, Allegranova....

then i got into Tupac, Chino XL, Ras Kass, the DOC, NWA etc...

now i mostly listen to some jazz, and pretty much Armenian and Russian music.

Azure
when I was little, all I would be listening to was the Grateful Dead. I got into Fall Out Boy when I was in, I think, fifth grade and then when I started liking the sound of Marilyn Manson, my dad made me listen to Radio Disney and nothing else. Eventually he let me listen to other radio stations, but I can never have my iPod near him or any of my CDs big grin (he will freak out!)

ragesRemorse
up until i was about 9, i didnt bother listening to music reguarly, i was to busy playing with my action figures. I guess i listened to my brother playing classical music though

SnakeEyes
Mostly Green Day, Nirvana, and Blink 182.

mysterio69
when i was a kid, it was top 40 radio on the car trips. and then came pearl jam, soundgarden, etc...

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Smasandian
I started out with Nirvana and Metallica when I was in Grade 2.

Bought Nevermind thinking it was an Wierd Al Yankovic CD. Black Album was bought because I couldnt get enough of Enter Sandman.

W-wouldn't that mean Weird Al predated Nirvana?

Also...were you capable of reading?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
W-wouldn't that mean Weird Al predated Nirvana?

Also...were you capable of reading?

He did, didn't he?

Victor Von Doom
Dunno.

I mean for him.

exanda kane
Stone Roses smile

PONG_MASTER
No Doubt, Madonna, The Velvet Underground, Queen, Garbage... Spice Girls.... Aqua.... Backstreet Boys.......... Jewel.................

...Yeah.

your kindred
i grew up listening to southern music. blues, rock. allman brothers, mainly.

and i listened to alanis, the cranberries, and other adult 90s pop. alanis defined me though.

Funkadelic
Bee Gees, Stevie Wonder, Electric Light Orchestra, Beatles, Michael Jackson.

2D_MASTER
Black Sabbath, The Animals, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix. Black Sabbath was my obsession.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Dunno.

I mean for him.
Hmm, yeah.

PONG_MASTER
Originally posted by your kindred
and i listened to alanis, the cranberries, and other adult 90s pop. alanis defined me though.

Oh yeah, I listened to Alanis Morrissette, too.

[Walkah]
I'm not going to say because it was all shit. no expression

ESB -1138
The Eagles...I still listen to them but not as much.

Impediment
My mom's influences:

Johnny Cash
Merle Haggard
Waylon Jennings
Hank Williams, Sr.
Willie Nelson

My dad's influences:

Jimi Hendrix
The Eagles
Pink Floyd
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Grateful Dead

Just naming 5 of each, that is.

dsilva
I grew up listening to The Beatles, The Doors, Elvis Presley, Frank Sonatra, Micheal Jackson, Madonna and the likes. My folks were not really into Rock {metal, Grunge and all} just light, sing along kinda music. I still listen to the above, brings back alota great memories. smile

maham
when I was young I was never much interested in music.That was till 11.Then I became increasingly interested in pop.I LOVED n still love Nazia Hassan.It was a big realization for me.n I also liked Junaid Jamshed.I also liked listenin to the famous pop songs by any1 from britney spears to jennifer lopez.

DaRk Lotus
Frank Zappa,Johnny Cash,50's &40's music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.