The Writer Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

grey fox
This thread is mostly for teh N00bs and those who usually don't care much about the humble people behind the pencils. Kinda like the 'Questions thread' but focused on the aforementioned writers ect.

1. Joe Queseda - Current head of Marvel , apparently doesn't understand manga or hentai ( What the f**k? How old is the guy ? ) and dislikes Mary-Jane/Peter Parker. Apparently wishing for Parker to be a 'Player'.

2. Jeph Loeb - Once decent writer whose now currently doing mediocre to horrifically bad tales, assumed to be due (at least in part) to his Sons death.

3. Brian Miachel Bendis (usually referred to as 'Bendis') - One man street leveler revival squad. Reasonably good on solo stories, team books are his weak link, also a bit of a hack.

4. Joseph Michael Straczynski - Commonly referred to as 'JMS', he is both reviled and hailed by Spidey fans as a idiot/revolutionist within the community due to his retcon of Spideys origin

5. Alan Moore - Genius, disgruntled and very hairy. Dislikes his work being diluted and is very heavy on detail. Wrote V for Vendetta , Watchmen and a slew of other well renowned pieces.

6. Mark Millar - Controversial writer, Ultimates, Red Razors. 'Nuff Said.

7. Frank Miller - Once a great writer, now a current parody of himself. DKR, Sin City , ASBAR.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by grey fox
1. Joe Queseda - Current head of Marvel , apparently doesn't understand manga or hentai ( What the f**k? How old is the guy ? ).

huh

grey fox
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
huh
Seriously. He didn't understand the concept of 'Tentacle Rape' nor Hentai. I mean it's not like he runs a comic company , whose main competetion is Manga or anything

Symmetric Chaos
Where the hell would that come up? (unless you mean the HFH cover)

grey fox

Cha-ching.

The Heroes for Hentai cover.

See the thing that get's me is that he doesn't even understand the concept, hell if I was Queseda i'd be seriously looking into American comics competition.

Grimm22
Mark Millar really isn't THAT controversial (besides Civil War, which was made to be controversial).

But, you have to give the guy a break. When he wrote Civil War, he was in the Hospital, so erm

Morridini
Hmm, I like these kind of lists, always annoying when I see people suddenly pulling up a name and start bashing it without me having any idea who it is.

grey fox
Originally posted by Grimm22
Mark Millar really isn't THAT controversial (besides Civil War, which was made to be controversial).

But, you have to give the guy a break. When he wrote Civil War, he was in the Hospital, so erm

He wrote a series which had a hot 18 year old Aunt May implied to be Peters mother. I'd consider that controversial , or how about publicly declaring a $5000 bet on the Superman Returns lead actor ?

Grimm22
He wrote a series which had a hot 18 year old Aunt May implied to be Peters mother. I'd consider that controversial , or how about publicly declaring a $5000 bet on the Superman Returns lead actor ?

Yeah...Well...if you put it THAT WAY stick out tongue

Endless Mike

Well maybe it could refer to a certain scene in the Thanos series....

Anyway you should add Garth Ennis

grey fox
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Well maybe it could refer to a certain scene in the Thanos series....

Anyway you should add Garth Ennis

Let's add it as we go !

Validus
My laziness prevents me from adding Geoff Johns.

Endless Mike
Neil Gaiman

Doctor Miracle
This thread is mostly for teh N00bs and those who usually don't care much about the humble people behind the pencils. Kinda like the 'Questions thread' but focused on the aforementioned writers ect.

1. Joe Queseda - Current head of Marvel , apparently doesn't understand manga or hentai ( What the f**k? How old is the guy ? ) and dislikes Mary-Jane/Peter Parker. Apparently wishing for Parker to be a 'Player'.

2. Jeph Loeb - Once decent writer whose now currently doing mediocre to horrifically bad tales, assumed to be due (at least in part) to his Sons death.

3. Brian Miachel Bendis (usually referred to as 'Bendis') - One man street leveler revival squad. Reasonably good on solo stories, team books are his weak link, also a bit of a hack.

4. Joseph Michael Straczynski - Commonly referred to as 'JMS', he is both reviled and hailed by Spidey fans as a idiot/revolutionist within the community due to his retcon of Spideys origin

5. Alan Moore - Genius, disgruntled and very hairy. Dislikes his work being diluted and is very heavy on detail. Wrote V for Vendetta , Watchmen and a slew of other well renowned pieces.

6. Mark Millar - Controversial writer, Ultimates, Red Razors. 'Nuff Said.

7. Frank Miller - Once a great writer, now a current parody of himself. DKR, Sin City , ASBAR.

Umm what about Grant Morisson, Warren Ellis, Ed Ebrubaker, Brian K Vaughn, Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Greg Ruckha, Joe Kelly, Niel Gaiman, Kurt Brusiek, Dan Jurgens, Michael Avon Oeming, John Bryne, Chris Claremount, Jim Starlin, Robert Kirkman, Paul Jenkins, Keith Griffen, Marv Wolfman, Garth Ennis e.t.c. !

grey fox
Originally posted by Doctor Miracle
Umm what about Grant Morisson, Warren Ellis, Ed Ebrubaker, Brian K Vaughn, Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Greg Ruckha, Joe Kelly, Niel Gaiman, Kurt Brusiek, Dan Jurgens, Michael Avon Oeming, John Bryne, Chris Claremount, Jim Starlin, Robert Kirkman, Paul Jenkins, Keith Griffen, Marv Wolfman, Garth Ennis e.t.c. !

You have fingers. Use them.

Doctor Miracle
You have fingers. Use them.

I don't really understand the point of the thread. I thought you where just trying to bash noobs, by showing your superior comic book knowledge ! confused

grey fox
Originally posted by Doctor Miracle
I don't really understand the point of the thread. I thought you where just trying to bash noobs, by showing your superior comic book knowledge ! confused

No , this thread is FOR the n00bs and lacking of writer knowledge.

Best Example....Originally posted by Morridini
Hmm, I like these kind of lists, always annoying when I see people suddenly pulling up a name and start bashing it without me having any idea who it is.

Doctor Miracle

He was writing supposed crap long before his son died !

Validus
Geoff Johns - The one man retcon machine. Celebrated writer most well known for his work on many DC books including Flash, Green Lantern, Justice Society and Teen Titans. Doesn't seem too fond of most concepts from 1990's.

Ron Marz - Loved and hated by Green Lantern fans everywhere. Most notable for turning Hal Jordan evil and replacing him with a random guy off the street.

John Byrne - Completely crazy, bit of a racist, usually angry. Notable for his Post Crisis revamp of Superman and as the creator of Alpha Flight.

Marv Wolfman - Mastermind of comics first mega event in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Also known for his work on The New Teen Titans and creating many well known characters such as Deathstroke, Bullseye, Blade and Tim Drake.

Reginald Hudlin - Commonly called the greatest comic book writer of all time. Loved by fans around the world for his revolutionary work on Black Panther.

H. S. 6
Chuck Austen - Fans love his portrayal of the JLA characters during his run on Justice League.

grey fox
Jim Shooter - Head of Marvel (between 1978 and 1987) was a bit of a hardass and attempted to create 'The New Universe' a more realistic take upon Super-powers. It failed. He's occasionally parodied by DC , whom gained the most from Shooters editorial style.

Doctor Miracle
Grant Morisson; Mad Scotsman, with a taste for human blood. Famed for his over the top, Blok buster story telling, and for his use of inexplicable technobabel (such as energy converting spoon). Accoladed with the immense ability of putting the Bad, in 'badass', well known runs include the third volume of J.L.A. in the 90's, the New X-men of the early 00's, the Invisibles, Kid Eternity, Judge Dredd,Arkham Asylum, Animal Man and the Doom Patrol. Recent runs include D.C.'s Seven soldiers of Victory, WE3 (A comic book about super, cyborg pets), 52 (In which he basically wrote all the best bits), Batman and Allstar Superman. Has won various awards, and his generally hailed as the comic book answer to Vincent van Gough, i.e. and absolute genius but completely and utterly 'off his head'. Recently signed a deal with D.C. comics, after being ****ed over by Marvel stick out tongue

Wont let me post Wiki page ! sad

Endless Mike
Jack Kirby: Creator of most of the famous characters we know and love and their classic stories. Dead now.

TricksterPriest
Jim Starlin. But I'm not gonna write the description. someone who knows his best work, like Digi, should do it. smile

DigiMark007
Hmm. We should try to standardize this kinda like the tiers thread. We'd have to remove some occasional bias, and I wouldn't pin it like the tiers thing...but it would be nice to, say, have a list of writers and the titles they have written or are currently writing.

In any case, someone should start compiling these so that we can add to them, rather than just have writer bios scattered randomly throughout the thread.

I'll add a few of my own eventually if no one else takes them (Gaiman, Ellis, Starlin, etc.) but there's others who could do it just as well probably.

grey fox
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Hmm. We should try to standardize this kinda like the tiers thread. We'd have to remove some occasional bias, and I wouldn't pin it like the tiers thing...but it would be nice to, say, have a list of writers and the titles they have written or are currently writing.

In any case, someone should start compiling these so that we can add to them, rather than just have writer bios scattered randomly throughout the thread.

I'll add a few of my own eventually if no one else takes them (Gaiman, Ellis, Starlin, etc.) but there's others who could do it just as well probably.

Your teh one with Mod powers. I can't compile everything into a top post myself....

DigiMark007
Your teh one with Mod powers. I can't compile everything into a top post myself....

I just meant into a single post for reference and possible additions by others. Once we've compiled a decent list we can always remake the thread.

grey fox
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I just meant into a single post for reference and possible additions by others. Once we've compiled a decent list we can always remake the thread.

Ahhh

thumb up

TricksterPriest

Alfheim
Jim Shooter - Head of Marvel (between 1978 and 1987) was a bit of a hardass and attempted to create 'The New Universe' a more realistic take upon Super-powers. It failed. He's occasionally parodied by DC , whom gained the most from Shooters editorial style.

Man you know your ****. thumb up Yeah people know who Jim Shooter is but not everybody knows about the New Universe back in the day, thats going quite awhile back.

Thats probably why it failed he tried to make it more realistic.

grey fox
Originally posted by Alfheim
Man you know your ****. thumb up Yeah people know who Jim Shooter is but not everybody knows about the New Universe back in the day, thats going quite awhile back.

Thats probably why it failed he tried to make it more realistic.

I liked the idea, it could of worked if he'd just kept it all revolving around the star brand and the emerging mutants, none of this cyborg bullshit.

Endless Mike

grey fox
Garth Ennis - Irish (North to be exact) , usually does work on 'human' characters and involves a lot of black humour and noir-ish feelings . Dislikes religion . His work is like Marmite, either you love it or you hate it.

Darth Macabre
Fabian Nicieza- American, best known for his work on X-Men and X-related titles, and the Thunderbolts. His most well known creation, along with Liefeld, is the Merc with a mouth: Deadpool. He's set to right the upcoming JSA Classified, due out in July.

willRules
Originally posted by Grimm22

He wrote Chosen, that was pretty controversial yes

CasanoVa

Kazenji
Doug Moench **** up with ghost rider in its first run good thing he only did it once.

TricksterPriest
bump. This is a damn good thread that deserves to be pinned, if we can get more people to write bios. smile

Devil Lance
John Rogers- Up and Coming writer of the Fantastic Blue Beetle Series

Greg Rucka - Spy novel writer turned comics writer known for his runs on Wolverine, Batman, Gotham Central, Wonder Woman, and Adventures of Superman.

Keith Giffen-Well Known comics wrtier knwon mainly for his work on JLI

Grant Morisson- Well Known writer, famous for his runs on Animal man and JLA.

James Robisson- Famous for th fantastic Starman series of the 1990s and for bringing back the JSA along with David Goyer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.