Official 'explanation' thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

grey fox
Transformers is a large continuity with an ever growing storyline ; as
expected things can get pretty damn hectic and confused.

Here is the place to ask questions and attempt to solve problems.

NOTE : For those who know little about Transformers.....

1. The Cartoons are a separate continuity (universe) from the comics unless clearly specified

2. Japanese Names may OCCASIONALLY be used , thus 'Convoy' is Optimus Primes , 'Destron' are Decepticons and 'Cybertons' are Autobots

3. The (American) Animated continuity Order goes The Transformers -> Beast Wars -> Beast Machines. Transformers : Robots in disguise* is a standalone continuity , whereas 'The Unicron Trilogy' (Armada , Energon , Cybertron ) are (obviously) all linked , though not impacting on any other series save for their own.

4. The Japanese extended upon nearly every series at one point or another , expect confusion and please specify which country your referring too.

* Most Notable for Having Prime turn into a fire-truck and Megatron into a hand/dragon/jet/monster

Tenebrous
To explain the size difference when transforming, I remember reading somewhere (the site that posts the bot-con information) that several fans have come to the conclusion that transformers have access to tech that allows then to manipulate mass on a localized scale. This of course violates the law of conservation of mass but yeah.

Ex, megatron shrinking to gun mode, optimus' trailer appearing and disappearing at transformation, the vehicle/robot modes of the assorted planes, jets, and transport vehicles (i.e. astrotrain). The conception is that each transformer has access to a "pocket universe" to personally utilize and store mass to be used as needed.

you can dismiss it as over-thinking but if it really annoys you how soundwave can turn into a boombox then into a 30 foot tall robot, then yeah, it works.

grey fox
Originally posted by Tenebrous
To explain the size difference when transforming, I remember reading somewhere (the site that posts the bot-con information) that several fans have come to the conclusion that transformers have access to tech that allows then to manipulate mass on a localized scale. This of course violates the law of conservation of mass but yeah.

Ex, megatron shrinking to gun mode, optimus' trailer appearing and disappearing at transformation, the vehicle/robot modes of the assorted planes, jets, and transport vehicles (i.e. astrotrain). The conception is that each transformer has access to a "pocket universe" to personally utilize and store mass to be used as needed.

you can dismiss it as over-thinking but if it really annoys you how soundwave can turn into a boombox then into a 30 foot tall robot, then yeah, it works.

Yeah , although scale is still a little confusing at times.

Scythe
Yes, they had access to molecule shrinking technology, thus allowing Megatron to go from lifesize robot to handheld pistol.

grey fox
Originally posted by Scythe
Yes, they had access to molecule shrinking technology, thus allowing Megatron to go from lifesize robot to handheld pistol.

And inbetween (Autobot sized handgun)

Scythe
Originally posted by grey fox
And inbetween (Autobot sized handgun)

Yeah.

King Kandy
What happened in Zone after the OAV?

Scythe
Originally posted by King Kandy
What happened in Zone after the OAV?

What do you mean?

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Tenebrous

Ive always wondered about this. Specially Megatron transforming into a small ass gun. The movie made me wondered too since I dont think if u stand a mustang up he will be that huge as in the movies.

The big EH
i just wanna clear up that the first Transformers show was originally a 3 part miniseries but became popular, and Beast Wars actually takes place during the very first episode since the autobots & Decepticons landed on Earth either right after, during, or before the dinosaurs ruled the earth. Beast Wars takes place at the dawn of man as one episode has primitives in it, and the last season has the original Transformers in their shuttle in a sorta a petrified state

Scythe
Originally posted by The big EH
i just wanna clear up that the first Transformers show was originally a 3 part miniseries but became popular, and Beast Wars actually takes place during the very first episode since the autobots & Decepticons landed on Earth either right after, during, or before the dinosaurs ruled the earth. Beast Wars takes place at the dawn of man as one episode has primitives in it, and the last season has the original Transformers in their shuttle in a sorta a petrified state

That always freaked me out.

super pr*xy
i was having this discussion with scythe about the allspark in the movie, but i didn't want to be off topic on the other thread so i'll bring it here...

what i remembered seeing is that the allspark regenerating and animating small robots (and yes the vending machine was considerably smaller than any other robot in the movie). even when the allspark affected the escalade, it only animated the steering wheel. i think that the allspark all by itself only emits a small amount of energy that it can only help the smaller robots, hence bumble bee's legs remained busted and the escalade was never converted into a full transformer. my guess is that the energy from the allspark has to be harvested in one way or another to actually create full sized bot, not just by accidentally touching it.

Scythe
Originally posted by super pr*xy
i was having this discussion with scythe about the allspark in the movie, but i didn't want to be off topic on the other thread so i'll bring it here...

what i remembered seeing is that the allspark regenerating and animating small robots (and yes the vending machine was considerably smaller than any other robot in the movie). even when the allspark affected the escalade, it only animated the steering wheel. i think that the allspark all by itself only emits a small amount of energy that it can only help the smaller robots, hence bumble bee's legs remained busted and the escalade was never converted into a full transformer. my guess is that the energy from the allspark has to be harvested in one way or another to actually create full sized bot, not just by accidentally touching it.

That's a possibilty.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.