Darth Revan/ Darth Nihilus....Who are they?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I'm talking about who they were before they became Sith Lords?

ThoraxeRMG
Revan was a Knowledge hungry Padawan who trained with Zhar, Dorak, Kreia and many other Jedi Masters. He completed every training session he gotten. After the time of his Knighting, the mandalorians wars started. You know what happened next.

"Almost nothing is known of the true beginnings of Darth Nihilus, other than the fact that he was a survivor of the Mandalorian Wars. Although his role in the wars is a mystery, it is very likely that he may have been one of the Jedi that defied the Jedi Council and followed Revan to war. Regardless of who he was, he was found by Darth Traya to be Force-sensitive, and after the war she began training him in the ways of the Sith at the Trayus Academy on Malachor V."

xxXAcStylesXxx
Wookiepedia is your friend.

ThoraxeRMG
Damn straight!! XD

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by ThoraxeRMG
Revan was a Knowledge hungry Padawan who trained with Zhar, Dorak, Kreia and many other Jedi Masters. He completed every training session he gotten. After the time of his Knighting, the mandalorians wars started. You know what happened next.

"Almost nothing is known of the true beginnings of Darth Nihilus, other than the fact that he was a survivor of the Mandalorian Wars. Although his role in the wars is a mystery, it is very likely that he may have been one of the Jedi that defied the Jedi Council and followed Revan to war. Regardless of who he was, he was found by Darth Traya to be Force-sensitive, and after the war she began training him in the ways of the Sith at the Trayus Academy on Malachor V."

Do you know Nihilus's and Revan's real names?

Love wookiepedia also.

ThoraxeRMG
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Do you know Nihilus's and Revan's real names?

Love wookiepedia also.

Darth Revan's real name is Revan
Nihilus' name is unknown at the moment.

Violent2Dope
Nihilus' real name is Charles.

ThoraxeRMG
I should of known! It all clear now! :O

exanda kane
Ain't Nihilus that twit from the nicely drawn but crapply wrote Dark Horse comic?

Darth Hord
Originally posted by exanda kane
Ain't Nihilus that twit from the nicely drawn but crapply wrote Dark Horse comic?

You mean Zayne Carrick (spell.) possibly nothing is confirmed and I thought I read somewhere that Revan was not his original name bit I can't remember where I heard. Anybody else her that?

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Darth Hord
You mean Zayne Carrick (spell.) possibly nothing is confirmed and I thought I read somewhere that Revan was not his original name bit I can't remember where I heard. Anybody else her that?

Zayne Carrick becomes one of the great Sith Lords? That is very funny.

Violent2Dope
THIS IS THE REAL DARTH NIHILUS!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/AnthonyAnnis/funny.jpg

exanda kane
Zayne Carrick becomes one of the great Sith Lords? That is very funny.

The great Sith Lords are Vader and Sidious. So no, Zayne Carrick doesn't become one of the great Sith Lords. He becomes 3rd-rate-villain-of-the-month Nihilus smile

Count Makashi
You forgot Dooku.

exanda kane
No, I didn't.

smile

Count Makashi
Uhmmmmmm, yes you have.

You forgot Dooku, -waves his hand like a Jedi.

Violent2Dope
The mind trick thing proves that Jedi and Sith are nearly the same. Like when QuiGon tried to pretty much use it to steal from the flying midget dude.

Count Makashi
No, a Sith would have just killed Watto, or mind tricked him, into giving him the ship for free, while Qui-Gon, would have actually paid him.

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Count Makashi
No, a Sith would have just killed Watto, or mind tricked him, into giving him the ship for free, while Qui-Gon, would have actually paid him. Yeah, paid him money he knew to be useless where Watto lived!

DARKLORDCAEDUS
The great Sith Lords are Vader and Sidious. So no, Zayne Carrick doesn't become one of the great Sith Lords. He becomes 3rd-rate-villain-of-the-month Nihilus smile

Thar is what I've read is that Carrick becomes Darth Nihilus. How can somebody like Carrick become a great Sith Lord?

Darth Hord
The war and more specifically the battle of Malachor is what transformed the person who will be Nihilus.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Count Makashi
Uhmmmmmm, yes you have.

You forgot Dooku, -waves his hand like a Jedi.

No, Dooky isn't in their league. He'll be forgotten by the world of cinema in ten years.

exanda kane
Thar is what I've read is that Carrick becomes Darth Nihilus. How can somebody like Carrick become a great Sith Lord?

Zayne Carrick doesn't become a great Sith Lord. He simply becomes Darth Nihilus. Can't you see where this is going yet?

Darth Hord
Zayne Carrick doesn't become a great Sith Lord. He simply becomes Darth Nihilus. Can't you see where this is going yet?

I agree with you, I wouldn't call him a great sith lord,I barely qualify him as sith. He would have turned against them once the jedi were gone. I would call him a powerful sith lord but not great. He massacred a planet which included a few dozen jedi but I see a great sith lords who has done something meaningful, like Ragnos,Kun,Revan,Bane,Sidious,etc.

exanda kane
I agree with you, I wouldn't call him a great sith lord,I barely qualify him as sith. He would have turned against them once the jedi were gone. I would call him a powerful sith lord but not great. He massacred a planet which included a few dozen jedi but I see a great sith lords who has done something meaningful, like Ragnos,Kun,Revan,Bane,Sidious,etc.

No, he's just not a great character. Something original or unpredictable would have been nice.

Darth Hord
That too smile

ThoraxeRMG
No, he's just not a great character. Something original or unpredictable would have been nice.

Sour-puss...

Darth Hord

I would say that Nihilus is original. How many sith lords are there that we don't know who they originally were,how many of them are there that we know of who talks a language thta we can't understand,plus the whole he is a wound in the force has never been a sith lord. His hunger is an original concept.(even though I am not a fan of it)

exanda kane
Black cape. Red Laser sword. Legions of Henchman. Yeah. Original.

Darth Hord
Black cape. Red Laser sword. Legions of Henchman. Yeah. Original.

Did you not read what I said? Many sith have those stuff. Not many siht talk like he does,there are none besides him who is a wound in the force,his "hunger" is orginal"(even though I hate it) and they way he his henchmen serve him is pretty original.

exanda kane
Of course I read what you said. Because the writers give him a few novelties, some cheap tricks doesn't make the chap original.

Darth Hord
Well if no one had them before then the idea is original even if we don't like them.

exanda kane
Original like Darth Maul, yes smile

Darth Hord
WTF I'm confoosed now.

exanda kane
I'll cite my earlier point. And maybe add a little inkling, just for you.

Black capes. Red Lazer Swords. Legions of Henchmen. Shadowy Types. Theactrical Accents. Standing on your own brooding. Crazy magic powers. Played by British actors.

What does Nihilus add to this pile of cliche's? A new language? Oh. Woo for him, he has a Degree in linguistics. Now he only needs to run a second hand bookshops and he's the works.

Darth Hord

Well since no one else speaks like that's an original idea.
A sith lord that is a wound in the force original
The way he the ravager and crew serve him is original
His hunger and that unqiue drain is original
Just because you don't like him (I am not a big fan of his) doesn't make him original

laughing

Darth Hord
The Maul comment is what got me a little.

exanda kane
Who said I don't like him? I'm just being reallistic. He is only original in the way Darth Maul is original and that, as you can tell by my tone, is not original.

Darth Hord
Of course I read what you said. Because the writers give him a few novelties, some cheap tricks doesn't make the chap original.

Ok so every sith who is has the same basics as Sidious is not origianl. (red saber,dark robes,and henchmen)When the rider does add "novelties" to their character they are still not original! wink

exanda kane
It's simply trying to lay some cheap "innovations" to a popular formula. Question. What does Nihilus' perculiar dialect add to his demeanour?

A) Mystery

B) Isolation

C) Personality

If answer A, then, yes of course no Sith Lord could ever be considered mysterious.

If B, then yes, Sith Lords are known for there rabid social schedules and regular dinner parties.

If C, then your just plain bonkers. The ability to communicate coherently only through the Force gives a greater sense of mystique. So see answer A.

Darth Hord
Most sith have the same basic qualities-mystery,red sabers,henchmen,dark robes.
But each characters have qualities that set them apart. Nihiulus has his "langauge",being a wound, the way he holds his ship together,basically mind control over his crew,past that involves war, his hunger and his his character. (being the fact that he would turn on the sith and kill them too). He is pretty original, you can't name any character who has the same qualities as Nihilus. Hence if no other character is similar then he is original.

exanda kane
Way to miss the point. I guess your far to involved in the allure of CGI battles and villains to really view him objectively. Good for you. At least your not as cynical as me.

Violent2Dope
Most sith have the same basic qualities-mystery,red sabers,henchmen,dark robes.
But each characters have qualities that set them apart. Nihiulus has his "langauge",being a wound, the way he holds his ship together,basically mind control over his crew,past that involves war, his hunger and his his character. (being the fact that he would turn on the sith and kill them too). He is pretty original, you can't name any character who has the same qualities as Nihilus. Hence if no other character is similar then he is original. Yeah just cause he wears what the majority of Sith wear doesn't make him unoriginal. And I can't believe you didn't mention his mask.

exanda kane
Yeah. No Sith Lord would be seen dead in something concealing their face. Darth Vader, Revan...

Violent2Dope
Yeah. No Sith Lord would be seen dead in something concealing their face. Darth Vader, Revan... But his mask is cool. That makes it original. stick out tongue

Darth Hord
I am viewing him objectively the facts are no sith that we know of talk like him,none control the ship the way he does, he crew are basically zombies, none are wounds in the force,his hunger is very unique concept. The fact is it is a matter of opinion if you to call the things that make him original cheap innovations or novelties.

exanda kane
Aww, well at least your not going to debate it smile

Darth Hord
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Yeah just cause he wears what the majority of Sith wear doesn't make him unoriginal. And I can't believe you didn't mention his mask.

I didn't mention the mask because others have it such as vader and Revan. The difference would be we know who Vader is behind the mask and what he looks like. We know that Revan is still Revan. But with Nihilus we still have no definite answer as to he he really is.

exanda kane
I am viewing him objectively the facts are no sith that we know of talk like him,none control the ship the way he does, he crew are basically zombies, none are wounds in the force,his hunger is very unique concept. The fact is it is a matter of opinion if you to call the things that make him original cheap innovations or novelties.

Small aesthetic differences and magical abilities are not original. They are completely predictable; you can just picture the KOTOR writers figuring ways to make their new villains slightly different than those before, attempting to revive the formula in new ways but keeping the bits that worked, and typical of Star Wars, going for a completely superficial reinvention. It's all on the outside.

Darth Hord
I'm not going to continue to argue the originality behind Nihilus because it is simply a matter of opinion. And it is quite obvious that we have different opinions on this subject. So all we would accomplish is just getting into an argument which would be pointless because the question of originality is opinion based.I'm just gonna leave it at that.

But I would like to hear if anyone else thinks is Nihilus is oirginal character or not.

exanda kane
But I would like to hear if anyone else thinks is Nihilus is oirginal character or not.

All I'm going to hear is "He has a FORze WOUNDED" and "HE HAV MASKAS skulz6" et cetera, et cetera. Your focusing on the superficial changes, the aesthetic changes, while I'm focusing on the characters themselves. All I see is a dark, brooding villain with a lazer sword. These aesthetic changes do not give him another dimension, do not give us any indication of his personality and do not give the character originality.

It's much the same way as Darth Maul's Lightsaber, one of the main selling points of TPM, a completely superficial change, a prop used to spark interest on the outside. Is Maul original? Hell no. But then I guess, all I would hear would be "He hazz3L Tat00"...

Violent2Dope
Well I guess that the only original Sith would be Sidious.

Darth Hord

exanda kane

Darth Hord
He clearly doe not think like anyone else. He sees the purpose of life is to die. He does not care for the sith. He will turn on them too but not unlike other sith who kill each other he does it so he can feed on them.While most sith want to rule the galaxy and all life in it. He wants to destroy life. There is no point in this debate because no matter what anyone says you will not change your opinion.And maybe he wears the cloak and cape is so he does not want anyone to see who or what he is.

exanda kane
Maybe because no one has offered any substantial argument against mine?

Or perhaps I'm simply completely correct.

EDIT: Actually, re-reading your last post - Jesus, have you not got ANY valid points? Have we not got past the aesthetic elements of Nihilus yet? I thought we'd passed that with my first post.

Darth Hord
My posts do tell you about his character,what he sees is the purpose of life,and how he views the sith/jedi.No matter what we say you still think the same so this debate is pointless, I say he is original, and you say he is not we are not going to convince the other to think otherwise so just end it.

exanda kane
Your posts simply say "He has Force Hunger", "He is hungry", "He controls a ship". That's not personality. His hunger is a neccesity, a flaw , an excuse for the writers to make a dangerous villain.

What does controlling a ship and crew with his mind tell us about the nature of Nihilus? He likes dominating people and is powerful? How many Sith have the exact same traits?

You can only speculate on his views on the Jedi and Sith as it stands, without the fact that those views would be a belief, not part of his psyche.

All of these things are simply minor endorsements on an otherwise bland character, an attempt by the writers to create originality which fails simply because so many writers have tried it before. Remember the speculation concerning Nihilus' identity when the KOTOR 2 promo art was released? Remember who they thought he reminded them of? Yes, that is right. Revan. I wonder why.

You attempt to concede your weak points by citing it as opinion, but you insist you are correct at the same time, and do so with, as I have mentioned already, very superficial points. In essence, you are way too close to see the character at all. You see a Sith Lord with bonus, god I can't believe I'll say this, "Uber Power". I see a generic villain with a few added tricks to keep people interested. Depends if you want to see darkly or clearly.

Darth Hord
This is what i posted about him personality wise.

Kreia said this which talks about his views of the sith.

Darth Hord
You attempt to concede your weak points by citing it as opinion, but you insist you are correct at the same time, and do so with, as I have mentioned already, very superficial points. In essence, you are way too close to see the character at all. You see a Sith Lord with bonus, god I can't believe I'll say this, "Uber Power". I see a generic villain with a few added tricks to keep people interested. Depends if you want to see darkly or clearly.

It is an opinion. I say he is very original and you say he is not. For it not to be an opinion there would have to be a canon statement to say he is not original. But since there in none it is an opinion based question.

exanda kane
How can you expect to express your opinions when you thrawt your own attempts to make a sensible argument? I've already shot down every weak point you have said mate (very well, your opinions) but all you have to fall back on is repeating the points I've already broken apart. It's a vicous cycle and you're the victim.

Your not talking about a character here, your talking about a stereotype. Alas, you can't admit that.

Darth Hord

exanda kane

exanda kane

Darth Hord
So basically every sith made after Sidious and Vader are nothing but ripoffs with different stories,looks and ideals? Is that what you are saying?

exanda kane

Darth Hord
i get what you are saying but it sounds like that since every other jedi/sith are just y being copied from x makes them not great as you originally said about nihilus not being great and completely unoriginal.

exanda kane
I didn't get that.

Darth Hord
Basically you are saying every jedi/sith to be made after the new movies are just "copies" of the originals with a new identity,new story,powers and clothes? And your original statement about Nihilus not being great was because you said he was unoriginal and predictable. Which is what got us started.

Violent2Dope
Mace Windu and Obi-Wan are nothing alike. And Nilihus' personality is drastically different than most, in that he doesn't really have one. Every action he takes is to satisfy his hunger. He is not in control of himself, his hunger(which is stated by Kreia to be a primal thing) controls him. Whatever his original personality was is gone now.

Darth Hord
Mace Windu and Obi-Wan are nothing alike. And Nilihus' personality is drastically different than most, in that he doesn't really have one. Every action he takes is to satisfy his hunger. He is not in control of himself, his hunger(which is stated by Kreia to be a primal thing) controls him. Whatever his original personality was is gone now.

I agree with but I think he is trying to say that every jedi/sith that were to be made later on are just like copies in a sense that they are unoriginal since most have simliiar beliefs and are look the same.

Violent2Dope
Of course they dress the same, as do Mandalorians or whatever. If you're part of the same sports team, you dress similar to your teamates. The same can be said with Jedi/Sith.

exanda kane

That was an ignorant post. Re-read the discussion just gone again.

Darth Hord
Exanda do you see every sith lord who has come after Sidios and Vader as unoriginal characters with diff. clothes,powers,beliefs?

Violent2Dope
That was an ignorant post. Re-read the discussion just gone again. No, your post is ignorant. If I said "ZOMG! NIHILUS IS ORIGINAL CAUSE HES HUNGRY AND STUFF! HE IS PWNAGE! That would be ignorant.

exanda kane
I'm a particuarly cynical person when it comes to petty things like this. Yes, it seems pretty obvious to me that the majority of "Sith" after were the same character with a slight novelty (Maul's saber etc). Star Wars isn't a complex drama, it's all black and white, so usually these characters work. For that, I will enjoy them as much as the next person.

However, on another Sidious and Vader hand are hardly original outside of Star Wars (in the vast world of literature), but they do idealise, in a fanastic way the characteristics they portray in Star Wars.

Darth Hord
I'm a particuarly cynical person when it comes to petty things like this. Yes, it seems pretty obvious to me that the majority of "Sith" after were the same character with a slight novelty (Maul's saber etc). Star Wars isn't a complex drama, it's all black and white, so usually these characters work. For that, I will enjoy them as much as the next person.

However, on another Sidious and Vader hand are hardly original outside of Star Wars (in the vast world of literature), but they do idealise, in a fanastic way the characteristics they portray in Star Wars.

I'm pretty sure we all know the idea of Sidious and Vader is not original themselves but seems to me even if compare them to other villains they are original too. I think you are only thinking in the basic plot for the characters-taking over the world/galaxy,evil,have unnnatural powers,it does not seem you are going in depth into the character and not understanding there personalities and calling special traits such as Nihilus's hunger as novelties.

Violent2Dope
They were the first known Sith, which of course makes them the model for the others. As you said tho as far as fictional characters go, they're hardly original. Dark, supernatural characters who want total domination, not very original.

exanda kane
No, your post is ignorant. If I said "ZOMG! NIHILUS IS ORIGINAL CAUSE HES HUNGRY AND STUFF! HE IS PWNAGE! That would be ignorant.

That'd be more ignorant yes, but when reading your poste, I don't find any evidence that you took in anything I said.

Mace and Obi-Wan are alike, but perhaps your simple a little star struck by the presence of two stars in the roles. I admit, that could be problematic for the analogy. Perhaps a better suited (since Mace's role could be considered much more than simply a stereotype, coming from Lucas' pen itself) analogy would be how are Kit Fitso and Obi-Wan Kenobi different?

On the issue of Nihilus you didn't seem to quite understand that he is simply a generic Sith Lord, but one, for the purposes of the game, the writers needed to be powerful. They took "Force Drain" from the first game, took it up a notch and gave their villain an excuse to be dangerous. As I said, every "hunger", every "belief" et cetera, are all derivitive of that main attempt of reinvention. It comes naturally.

exanda kane
I'm pretty sure we all know the idea of Sidious and Vader is not original themselves but seems to me even if compare them to other villains they are original too. I think you are only thinking in the basic plot for the characters-taking over the world/galaxy,evil,have unnnatural powers,it does not seem you are going in depth into the character and not understanding there personalities and calling special traits such as Nihilus's hunger as novelties.

It's Star Wars, not a Freudian essay, whatever Lucas may claim. Depth is lacking.

Darth Hord
That'd be more ignorant yes, but when reading your poste, I don't find any evidence that you took in anything I said.

Mace and Obi-Wan are alike, but perhaps your simple a little star struck by the presence of two stars in the roles. I admit, that could be problematic for the analogy. Perhaps a better suited (since Mace's role could be considered much more than simply a stereotype, coming from Lucas' pen itself) analogy would be how are Kit Fitso and Obi-Wan Kenobi different?

On the issue of Nihilus you didn't seem to quite understand that he is simply a generic Sith Lord, but one, for the purposes of the game, the writers needed to be powerful. They took "Force Drain" from the first game, took it up a notch and gave their villain an excuse to be dangerous. As I said, every "hunger", every "belief" et cetera, are all derivitive of that main attempt of reinvention. It comes naturally.

You are definitely too cynical for this subject.

exanda kane
You are definitely too cynical for this subject.

I'll take that as a compliment, regardless of any corrections you make wink

Violent2Dope
The basic idea of Nihilus is copied from other Sith yes, but I still stand by my opinion on his original state of mind and way of thinking. Mace and Obi-Wan may have some similar ideas, like Jedi=good and Sith=bad but other things defy their personality, like how Obi-Wan is cool and collected, whereas Mace is a bit more hotheaded and arrogant.

DARKLORDCAEDUS

So Nihilus is nothing then?

Tangible God
Nihilus is the SW embodiment of a worthless existence. His "goal" apparently is to achieve Life's destruction.

Violent2Dope
So Nihilus is nothing then? Kind of, actually.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Kind of, actually.

Why say that?

Violent2Dope
Why say that? Like I said, he has no real personality, and is pretty much already dead, everything he does is for his hunger.

Nikkolas
Man, Kane just asks to be owned.

To say Nihilus is similar and unoriginal to all the Sith before him based on such shallow ideas as they are mysterious and wear black, doesn't make ny sense. That does no justice to the character development laid over the game.

Was the Emperor mysterious?

Yes. He was a scheming despot who plotted for decades overthrowing the Republic, establishing a brutal xenophobic empire and living forever.

Was Revan mysterious?

Yes. But Revan was a military tactician, a Jedi gone Sith only to be shown that he went to the dark side in an attempt to try and fortify the Republic for the invasion of the "Other Sith" in the Outer Rim.

So, by saying they're both just "mysterious" doesn't go into their characters whatsoever.

As for Nihilus, he is different than any other Sith Lord in his character.

He is not attempting to build an empire.

He is not trying to uphold the Sith traditions.

He is not trying to destroy the Jedi for the Sith.

He lives for himself, he thinks of only his hunger.

Fabulous palaces and worlds under his command was Palpatine's dream.

In fact, it's the motive for a lot of Sith.

But Nihilus wants to eat those worlds and the enitre Galaxy until there is absolutely nothing left.

He doesn't care about the difference between Jedi and Sith. He'll destroy them all. What Sith are like that?

He wants the entire Galaxy annihilated. What Sith wants that?

Yes, he's carrying a red lightsaber and is in black robes.

But if you look only at those things, you blatantly ignore the plot of every game, every book, every movie that builds up the separate Sith's personalities and character.

Darth Hord
Originally posted by Nikkolas

To say Nihilus is similar and unoriginal to all the Sith before him based on such shallow ideas as they are mysterious and wear black, doesn't make ny sense. That does no justice to the character development laid over the game.

Yes. He was a scheming despot who plotted for decades overthrowing the Republic, establishing a brutal xenophobic empire and living forever.

Was Revan mysterious?

Yes. But Revan was a military tactician, a Jedi gone Sith only to be shown that he went to the dark side in an attempt to try and fortify the Republic for the invasion of the "Other Sith" in the Outer Rim.

So, by saying they're both just "mysterious" doesn't go into their characters whatsoever.

But Nihilus wants to eat those worlds and the enitre Galaxy until there is absolutely nothing left.

He doesn't care about the difference between Jedi and Sith. He'll destroy them all. What Sith are like that?

But if you look only at those things, you blatantly ignore the plot of every game, every book, every movie that builds up the separate Sith's personalities and character.

agreed, kane is just to cynical for this type of character depth, i remember trying to debate him on this

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Nikkolas

Was Revan mysterious?

But if you look only at those things, you blatantly ignore the plot of every game, every book, every movie that builds up the separate Sith's personalities and character. I've already pretty much said this, Kane just doesn't like to admit he's wrong, and he never will.

Atticus
hes also gay for harrison ford yes

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Atticus
hes also gay for harrison ford yes laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing eek! Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.