Which instructor is the best?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Count Makashi
Which of these 3 lightsaber instructors, is the best Swordsman and why do you think he is better, then the other 2.

darthsith19
So this is who's the better instructor? That's unkown as we've never seen any of them teach. If it's who'd win in a fight, the answer is, uh, hmm, I can't really say, maybe Cin Drallig, Dooku listed him as one of the Jedi who could teach Grievous a lesson, and I think Grievous is both ahead of Sora (hence why he's the General, and not Sora) and above Maul (who beat Bondara). I know that's abc, but it's really all we've got on Cin, so. Close, though, I'm not really sure.

darthsith19
The again, why don't know why Cin could teach Grievous a lesson, maybe he only could because he is a Soresu Master or is really strong with the Force or something. If that's the case, then Sora is the best of the 3 with a blade. He *might* be anyways.

vader11
Cin IMO.

Count Makashi
Anyone?

I would personally say, that Anon is the weakest hear, with a blade, it would be between Sora and Drallig, where i would give the edge to Cin Drallig, he was mentioned of possibly taking Grievous.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Count Makashi
I would personally say, that Anon is the weakest hear, with a blade
You would personally say this? Unfortunately, canon sources disagree with you in this regard.

Count Makashi
The canon says his skill is second to no one, not that he is the best swordsman. You can have all the skills in the world, if you can use them in the fight properly, it means nothing. And that skill second to no one, could mean, he is the technically, or maybe the most strikes per a second, but he is definitely not above, in his time(TPM) in the Jedi order, the likes of Yoda, Dooku, probably Mace to.

S_W_LeGenD
The canon says his skill is second to no one, not that he is the best swordsman. You can have all the skills in the world, if you can use them in the fight properly, it means nothing. And that skill second to no one, could mean, he is the technically, or maybe the most strikes per a second, but he is definitely not above, in his time(TPM) in the Jedi order, the likes of Yoda, Dooku, probably Mace to.
Canon sources indicate that his skill in Light Saber Combat is "Second to none" in his age. Only Yoda was comparable.

Count Makashi
Like i said, skill can mean many of things and Yoda is much better then Anon with sabers, he is definitely not the best fighter with a blade. Yoda is Mauls superior and Anon realized immediately, from the beginning of the fight, that Maul is better.

jollyjim311
Like i said, skill can mean many of things and Yoda is much better then Anon with sabers, he is definitely not the best fighter with a blade. Yoda is Mauls superior and Anon realized immediately, from the beginning of the fight, that Maul is better.

So? Maul is just that good.

And at that time Anoon would thrash Mace (seeing as he did that to Qui Gon, who was on par with Mace) and most likely Dooku.

Anoon's apprentice said that Anoon was the best fighter she had ever seen, and we know that she has seen Yoda fight, at least in demonstrations where three Jedi Masters couldn't even get close to Yoda (one being Depa, a Vaapad master). We also know Bondara knows the lightsaber better than even Yoda, because his skill is second to none, even Yoda.

darthsith19
I agree that, most likely, Anoon would beat Mace, however, I find it very unlikely that he could thrash Mace. I remember the quote about him besting Jinn in sparring matches but I don't recall it saying anywhere that he beat Jinn easily. That being said, I find it very unlikely that he'd beat Dooku in a saber duel, though I will say I don't know how strong Jedi Master Dooku is.

Yeah, well, Kenobi said the same thing about Jinn being the best he'd ever seen, does that mean Jinn's the best?

So you think that Maul > anybody else in star wars with a lightsaber? Lol, no, the author of Shadow Hunter just didn't know how good Yoda was with a blade, using what we've seen them done proves that Yoda > Maul with a blade and therefor also is ahead of Bondara. Yoda disarmed Sidious in a saber duel, Maul was only close to Sidious.

Darth Subjekt
Also to add, although his skills were "second to none," it was also said in that description that was one of the best fighters.

most skill =/= most badass.

jollyjim311
Originally posted by darthsith19
I agree that, most likely, Anoon would beat Mace, however, I find it very unlikely that he could thrash Mace. I remember the quote about him besting Jinn in sparring matches but I don't recall it saying anywhere that he beat Jinn easily. That being said, I find it very unlikely that he'd beat Dooku in a saber duel, though I will say I don't know how strong Jedi Master Dooku is.
It implied that Anoon beat Jinn in brief matches, if my memory is not failing me.

No, but he is damn good. Also Kenobi hadn't seen Yoda fight, most likely.

No.

Yai for lawls?

Shadow Hunter is still canon, however.

Agreed. However Anoon has more technical skill with a blade than even the 860+ year old Jedi Master, and is extremely adaptable.

True. The two are still somewhat close.

darthsith19
Unfortunately, I didn't save the quote in my profile, but I am pretty sure it didn't say that (and it would make sense if it didn't because Anoon shouldn't be able to easily beat Jinn).

Wasn't Kenobi present when Yoda evaded Depa, Plo and another Jedi's blades (can't remember who the third Jedi was)?

Yup, hoewver, what we see in the films contradicts what SH says about Anoon being number 1 with a blade.

Who is somewhat close, Bondara and Yoda? Maybe a little bit close.

Count Makashi
Originally posted by jollyjim311
So? Maul is just that good.

And at that time Anoon would thrash Mace (seeing as he did that to Qui Gon, who was on par with Mace) and most likely Dooku.

Anoon's apprentice said that Anoon was the best fighter she had ever seen, and we know that she has seen Yoda fight, at least in demonstrations where three Jedi Masters couldn't even get close to Yoda (one being Depa, a Vaapad master). We also know Bondara knows the lightsaber better than even Yoda, because his skill is second to none, even Yoda.

Maul is very good, one of the best ever, i argued for him, numerous times, but, answer me this, do you really think, he is better then Yoda, in the time of Shadow Hunter, of course not. Yoda, at this time, is the best and if Maul defeated Anon comfortably, easily, then Yoda, would trash him. And Dooku at that time, was probably second only, to Yoda in the order. And where does it say, that Qui-Gon and Mace are equals in the TPM. Show me the quote.

There is just one problem with that, she is biased toward her master, just like Obi-Wan was to his, when he said, that Jinn is the best swordsman, he ever seen. Do you really think that Anon could evade those 3 masters, like Yoda did. And Vaapad wasn't created yet, at that time, Mace created after the TPM.

Look, i know you like to use this quote, that Anon skills is second only to no one, but honestly, do you really believe he is the best of his time. And the author didn't know how good Yoda was in the time and Dooku wasn't created yet. But I am not saying that Anon is weak, its very impressive that Maul defeated one of the strongest Jedi easily, i am just saying that Anon is NOT THE BEST of his time, he is not number one.

jollyjim311
I'm sorry guys and I see where you're coming from, but, unfortunately your assumptions don't override a conon source. Anoon's skills are "second to none," including Yoda. You could write it off as technical skill and not necessarily the force mastery that comes with saber combat (which Yoda gave a lecture on in that book), but, his technical skill does exceed Yoda's as of TPM. Also:

Originally posted by IOU
well in terms of whos the better swordsman, id place my money on anoon

in virtually every source he appears in his skills with the saber are held in extremely high regard

for instance, from the cloak of deception:

"A Twi'lek, with slender head-tails and a heavily muscled upper body, his name was Anoon Bondara, a duelist of unparalleled skill. Qui-Gon engaged him in matches at every opportunity. For a match with Bondara, no matter how brief, was more instructive than twenty contests against lesser opponents."

from shadow hunter:

"At least she was not standing there alone. Behind her and slightly to one side was her mentor, Anoon Bondara. Master Bondara epitomized what Darsha hoped to become one day. The Twi'lek Jedi Master lived in the Force. Always still and complacent as a pool of unknown depth, he was nevertheless one of the best fighters in the order. His skill with a lightsaber was second to none. Darsha hoped that one day she might be able to exhibit a tenth of Anoon Bondara's adeptness."

from the power of the jedi sourcebook:

"darsha assant's teacher was the jedi master anoon bondara, a twi'lek jedi renowned for his skill with the lightsaber. to padawan darsha, of course, master bondara's prowess was unmatched."

anoon was also a practitioner of teras kasi, which would make him a far more dangerous opponent, given that hardly any jedi had any familiarity with the style whatsoever. from shadow hunter:

"The Jedi was obviously a master of the teras kasi fighting arts, as well, judging by the smooth way he parried and counterattacked."

and the power of the jedi sourcebook confirms that anoon was a master of teras kasi, not just a practitioner

being a lightsaber instructor, its also highly likely anoon was very proficient/had great knowledge, and perhaps even achieved mastery of multiple saber forms, or an extremely high mastery of his own, which is always a plus

so yes, clearly his technical abilities with a saber were virtually unmatched, and some of the best in the entire pt jedi order, so that coupled along with his mastery of teras kasi, and i think he may very well be able to take someone of sora's caliber in a straight out swordfight

close though

darthsith19
Yeah, and a canon source that is more official that SH (the movies)shows Yoda being a greater swordsman than Maul, and therefor proves that he is also greater than Bondara. Movies > Shadow Hunter. So unless you can prove that between SH and AOTC Yoda went from being behind Bondara with a blade to above him...

Darth Subjekt
its good and all that his skills were second to none, but it still says, "one of the best fighters in the order." Which means he was beaten. Who is the grandmaster? Yoda. Do you think that was for a reason? What about the quote saying that Yoda was the greatest weapon against the darkside or something like that? That would also include Anoon.

MasterAshenVor
Cin Drallig...

jollyjim311
Guys, I never said Anoon was a better combatant than Yoda. In fact, I stated the opposite.

Count Makashi
Exactly, jollyjim, he is not the best combatant, in my opinion, he is the weakest combatant here, still one of the best in his time, Drallig was mentioned, that he could possibly take Grievous(but i doubt it) and Sora put up a good fight twice, against Mace freaking Windu.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.