Do snuff movies exist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K.Diddy
I watched the movie 8mm the other day,it got me thinking...

ragesRemorse
yes of course they do. Are most real? No, but there has been cases where people have been arrested for incriminating evidence found on snuff films

cropsy_is_god
Films about snuff movies will exist (August Underground is an exmaple of that) but real ones i dont think they exist

Wolfie
I'm sure they do. You're not gonna find a quality snuff DVD at Suncoast though.

BackFire
Originally posted by Wolfie
I'm sure they do. You're not gonna find a quality snuff DVD at Suncoast though.

Yeah you will, they're in the back.

And I belive the official answer, as per most government authorities is - One's never actually been found.

Though, there have been videos where people are being killed, they aren't snuff. To be snuff it must be made for the purpose of gaining a profit, some monitary gain must be had before a film can be considred snuff.

There was a case where a guy killed a girl, video taped it and WAS going to sell it, but he was caught before he sold it to some people over the internet. Had he actually sold it, this would have been a snuff film.

I watched a documentary on it, and the general consensus is that they most likely do exist, but one's never been found.

WrathfulDwarf
There is an episode of The Simpson's that have always stuck with me. It's the episode in which Bart and Milhouse supervise the shop of Comic Book Guy.

It so happens that they discover a secret basement in which CBG keeps his most hard to find and extremely rare movie collection. It's a gold mine of banned and illegal movies. Heck! I would love to have collection like that!

I brought this out because it illustrates that such material does exist and can be only accessible by very discrete retailers. From my own experience, I know retailers only sell their most obscure and rare stuff to long time customers.

However, I will admit, that as curious and interesting the experience of watching a real Snuff film maybe....I couldn't watch it..wouldn't be confortable with the images of real murder taking place right before my eyes.

Espantada23
Didn't Charlie Sheen have something to do with a snuff tape?He wasn't involved in it but supposedly the police found him in possession of said snuff...but I think it might have been fake of something.

dave_kodak
Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah you will, they're in the back.

And I belive the official answer, as per most government authorities is - One's never actually been found.

Though, there have been videos where people are being killed, they aren't snuff. To be snuff it must be made for the purpose of gaining a profit, some monitary gain must be had before a film can be considred snuff.

There was a case where a guy killed a girl, video taped it and WAS going to sell it, but he was caught before he sold it to some people over the internet. Had he actually sold it, this would have been a snuff film.

I watched a documentary on it, and the general consensus is that they most likely do exist, but one's never been found. Wasnt there one film some student made where he killed people and then left it in a video store?

spalding
I remember hearing about a movie that was banned from the US a long time ago. I can't remember the name of it so please refresh my memory if anyone knows what I'm talking about. I think it was a horror flick made in brazil, but the guy just hired a bunch of prostitutes for the roles and then brutally murdered them for the movie. Does anyone remember the name of that movie?

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by Espantada23
Didn't Charlie Sheen have something to do with a snuff tape?He wasn't involved in it but supposedly the police found him in possession of said snuff...but I think it might have been fake of something.

Neh, what really happened was that Sheen came across a copy of one of the Japanese Guinea Pig movies and thought it was real snuff.
He reported it to the feds, and the makers had to prove that it was all fake. Eventually Sheen just made the best commercial for their movies possible.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by spalding
I remember hearing about a movie that was banned from the US a long time ago. I can't remember the name of it so please refresh my memory if anyone knows what I'm talking about. I think it was a horror flick made in brazil, but the guy just hired a bunch of prostitutes for the roles and then brutally murdered them for the movie. Does anyone remember the name of that movie?
Cannibal Holocaust?

allofyousuckkk
Isnt Cannibal Holocaust just really realistic?

That can't be it, however the prostitutes things sound cool

42ndStreetFreak
Snuff films...as in a proper film, with a crew, that gets released to the public just like any other film do not exist!

People seem to forget what a film (or should that be movie) really is.

Of course people have filmed people being killed or even filmed them while they were doing the killing. But that does not make it a film!!
Just because something is recorded on a medium does not mean it is a movie.

If that is the case then all those people who filmed Granny falling over at the wedding reception or the dog jumping up to get a ball and falling into the rum punch would be classed as movie directors and IMDb would crash under the weight.

And who truly thinks that a movie where the actors were really killed would be openly released to the public? COME ON!

There are not and never have been 'snuff' MOVIES.

Pandemoniac
You're right, but in wars and crime some murders have been recorded and the footage has been published by the perpetrators in order to make a statement. Not the stuff that would end up in the local videostore, but on-screen real deaths have been used to reach a certain audience to leave an impression. Kinda like normal movies intent to do.

jaden101
i would say that the technicalities behind snuff movies probably do exist...i'm sure there have been plenty of examples where by someone has filmed a murder (although not been involved) and have sold the video to news media for profit...

so if snuff is the filming of a murder and the selling of that video for profit then i would say that has probably happened

although some may consider that it would have to be the person committing the murder that sold the tape for it to be genuinely snuff...

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
yes of course they do. Are most real? No, but there has been cases where people have been arrested for incriminating evidence found on snuff films

I do agree

42ndStreetFreak
But they're not films. They are no more films than videos of your wedding, an air show or a car crash.

Of course people have filmed deaths, accidents, murders and executions (some of which have been in proper movies as well, like the "Road to Hell" footage in "Cannibal Holocaust", without actually being the actual movie) just as they film carnivals and births. But none of this has anything to do with snuff FILMS or MOVIES.

It's just a lot of crud used by pro-censorship types to attack the horror genre and exploitation movies.

I filmed my 3 year old Daughter dancing yesterday...I guess that makes me a film maker if this logic is being used.

allofyousuckkk
I think snuff films can really only be like...murders. Something like the Lacey Scott murder could be sold as a snuff film. Or something secretive...... suicide and attacks really aren't snuff films. And they dont have to be literal films, they can just be videos. Guinea Pig would be a snuff film if it were real. Someone being murdered and then it being distributed.

42ndStreetFreak
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
. Guinea Pig would be a snuff film if it were real. Someone being murdered and then it being distributed.

yes, but if it was real...it never would be distributed. You couldn't buy it from Amazon or Suncoast. That's the point.
"Guinea Pig" would not exist in the public arena if it had been real so it's in fact a negative that proves the point.

BackFire
Originally posted by 42ndStreetFreak
But they're not films. They are no more films than videos of your wedding, an air show or a car crash.

Of course people have filmed deaths, accidents, murders and executions (some of which have been in proper movies as well, like the "Road to Hell" footage in "Cannibal Holocaust", without actually being the actual movie) just as they film carnivals and births. But none of this has anything to do with snuff FILMS or MOVIES.

It's just a lot of crud used by pro-censorship types to attack the horror genre and exploitation movies.

I filmed my 3 year old Daughter dancing yesterday...I guess that makes me a film maker if this logic is being used.

Actually I believe the road to hell footage is all fake. In one of the documentaries/commentaries in the CH 2 disc dvd set they said they paid a military regime to act out those scenes.

eggmayo
I've never watched it yet, but I heard this includes real life killings - wouldn't it count as snuff?

Killing of America - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157894/

42ndStreetFreak
Originally posted by eggmayo
I've never watched it yet, but I heard this includes real life killings - wouldn't it count as snuff?

Killing of America - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0157894/

No more than the news or a CNN documentary.

It's a mondo film that shows real footage of real deaths (most famously the execution of the guy in Vietnam) just like any other documentary.

42ndStreetFreak
Originally posted by BackFire
Actually I believe the road to hell footage is all fake. In one of the documentaries/commentaries in the CH 2 disc dvd set they said they paid a military regime to act out those scenes.

Not sure about that.
I've never heard of anyone saying the footage is not real.
The controversy was that the filmmakers in question (Gualtiero Jacopetti and Franco Prosperi of "Mondo Cane"/"Africa Addio" infamy) paid the military TO kill the people. They were accused of setting up the event for the cameras...but the people were still really killed.
Nothing was proved though and they have always vigourously denied it.

In fact "Cannibal Holocaust" is a less than subtle (and rather hypocritical too, seeing as Deodato snuffs animals for his film) attack ON Jacopetti and Prosperi as the "CH" film crew that really kill the natives on camera, and then make it look like a 'natural' event they just happened to have filmed, are based on Jacopetti and Prosperi.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.